What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger

Comments

• Options
    fleeghopfleeghop Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before but the exact situation that just happened to me is I was standing on a cliff looking down at some bandits in Blackdagger Ruins and fired a shot at them before Marauder's Rushing at them. After an odd skip in the animation I ended up back on the cliff dead from 100% to 0% immediately.
  • Options
    gipsylassgipsylass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 61
    edited November 2013
    I've only played the ranger for a little while, cuz' I want to save some fun for when this goes live, but I've read thoroughly through all the postings here and would like to add - please don't be too fast in saying the ranger is OP. I've played CW and TR and both times I thought (in lower levels) - hey, they're strong... - this changed quickly when levelling up - more so with CW as with TR.
    I'm definitely looking forward to playing a ranger :)
  • Options
    two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Racial Trait: Dilettante
    The Half-Elf racial trait "Dilettante" has no effect for Hunter Rangers. No ability score receives the bonus.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • Options
    doogie74doogie74 Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Greycloak’s Legacy weapon from the founder pack states all items have been given from the pack so the hunter must not have a Greycloak’s Legacy weapon in the game yet.
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug (Item): Texture on first weapon (Notched Longbow) is glitched
    Just equipped the Notched Longbow on my new HR. The texture/skin on it is doing this weird, shimmery, glitchy thing. It looks like it has two textures trying to apply at once and they're constantly in motion overwriting each other visually. I can't give you a screenshot because it doesn't capture the effect. You can see it clearly if you equip the weapon, open character sheet, and zoom in, though.

Did a little more looking at this. The bow looks okay in normal gameplay and in inspect mode (although its texture looks oddly smooth, could be as intended though). It's when you pull up the character sheet and/or look at the character from the Change Character screen that the flickery texture crops up.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I do that as well but the cast animation is still just too long and easily interrupted and if yo try to enter melee range too quickly they'll leave the minuscule effect.

I agree that the cast animation is too long, I hate using it, switching to melee, and then realizing it did not finish.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    It's weird that when I go into combat for the first time in the tutorial (right after talking to Linkletter), the system explains to me that I can use Tab to toggle between modes -- except I can't because the ability is locked. It's also weird that I have these blades I'm carrying that I can't use until I'm level 10. I like consistency across classes, but this Tab thing isn't working for HRs -- I feel like it should be unlocked from the start. I might revise my thoughts as I play more...it's just odd right now.

I do have this to say, though -- playing a ranger is fun and makes me want to take up archery again. :D
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I got back to the HR today and messed around with these powers some more and after some reflection I think Rain of Arrows would be a great daily with an AoE about the same size as Astral Shield while Seismic would then work nicely with the current Rain melee option. All that needs to happen is the damage on Seismic goes down, and maybe get a prone effect on the melee attack.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    mio1968mio1968 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited November 2013
    I am really enjoying the ranger. It has a great design and is lots of fun to play. I am focusing on a melee ranger, but of course by design there is still quite a bit of range involved. My feedback is focused on this melee build perspective as of level 35.

Bug: Feats: Nature's Enhancement
    This feat lists an increase in deflection severity by 5/10/15/20/25% for 5 seconds after switching to melee stance, however, at 5 points my deflection severity upon switching to melee is listed as 55.6%, up from 50%. I am not sure if it is a display bug or a gameplay bug, but I expected to see 75% as my deflection severity upon switching to melee stance. I would also suggest having the feat increase the duration by 1 second per tier. It is a defensive feat geared towards melee, and as is the duration is too short requiring double stance switching to refresh, and this double switching can be problematic with some powers (i.e. split shot often starts charging if you keep the mouse pressed and prevents from switching back to melee).

The damage seems a little low both in ranged and melee stance. In ranged, it pales compared to Split Shot. Assuming it has no target cap (edit: it does have a 5 target cap, which makes the increased range upgrade useless, better to add 1 target per tier upgrade), and that Split Shot will be toned down a little, it could still do with a 20% damage increase, more if Split Shot will be kept as is. In melee it also needs a 30% or more damage increase. As is, it does half the damage of Split Strike for having a 360 degree effect instead of a frontal area, which makes it too weak in comparison.

Powers like Thorn Strike and Rain of Swords (up to level 35) need either a damage bump or quicker animations, preferably the latter. As it stands, in the time it takes the animation to fire, one can do as much or more damage spamming Split Strike. If added to the fact that the long animations often mean the enemies move out of the formation/arrangement one wanted to hit, Split Strike spamming is almost always a better option than these encounter powers.

From a melee build perspective, ranged powers are used as a complement. So I choose either fire and forget ranged powers or utility/buff ranged powers. As mentioned by others, both Rain of Arrows and Split the Sky have animations that are way too long. If I open with Split Shot at full range and immediately proceed to cast either of the afore mentioned powers around me, I cannot get even one off before the enemies close. This should be less of a problem in a party environment. I am still getting to the buff powers so I have no feedback at the moment.
  • Options
    warzogwarzog Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I really don't like the HR as it is right now
    Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!!
    (Where's a Miniature Giant Space Hamster when you need one?)
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    rangers are broken op in pvp ?in few pvp matches i could get in all of them would dominate rangers by far in score and they also give huge buffs/debuffs
  • Options
    corpsemaker86corpsemaker86 Member Posts: 148 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I haven't seen a match where they are not in the top spots. After 12 matches there wasn't a single match where the HR wasn't in first place. usually I will see the top 2 spots (not just first) as HR.
    I was inspecting them and a lot of them have green gear??? Considering these are all fresh lvl 60s with little knowledge of how to pvp with these guys I was insulted at how well they did. ffs I have a perfect vorpal, formorian weapons, nothing lower than a rank 9 and fresh lvl 60 HRs with green gear eat us all like breakfeast.

This is the most broken a class has ever been its really really bad
    A small nerf isn't going to cut it there needs to be multiple large ones. the sad thing is they will still be the best even after nerfs but at least it will be more managable
  • Options
    djtlitedjtlite Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I knew people would be crying nerf as soon as HR hits pvp. I was telling my guild like 3 days ago that my decisions with abilities atm were based solely on how fast y'all screamed nerf! First off, this class isnt balanced against the other classes atm. Second, the other classes have been nerfed like crazy. Give it yime, more will cry and it will be nerfed.
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I'll comment as I go, and refresh this post with any new observances.

Bug: Feats: Seismic Shot
    This daily sometimes leaves it's graphic in the location you used it, even after it has completed it's ability.

Simple and straightforward damage attack. My only comment, is that I wish, instead of the player doing more damage per shot as you upgrade it, it would be more interesting if shots were fired with more speed. Timing could be adjusted so that damage done was the same as it is currently. As well, being able to fire while strafing or walking slowly is necessary, in my opinion, to maintaining mobility in the class. It's a quick shot, not a snipe.

Duality seems to be a big thing for Rangers. That said, Split shot is a great opening example of this. I love the mechanic, turning it from a wide-angle 5-shot to a narrow focuses sniper shot. Very, very well done and creative.

This power doesn't seem so hot at first use. But I'm quickly finding out that it can be used creatively to do a good amount of damage, firing it into areas you are pulling enemies, or even at your own feet, to provide local defense. This is a fun one, too. The animation to cast is a little fidgety, though, and I often cancel it before ever getting it off without knowing. This could have easily been a great daily, too, but I'm happy with. As primarily a GWF, the aoe vaguely reminds me of Mighty Leap.

I'm worried about the 'dodge' effect that multiple uses of this ability can bring to PvP. In PvE, I'm noticing that it's just as powerful, though far more task intensive, than any of the other dodge/teleport abilities. I think the speed and multiple uses is just going to give it too much capability in PvP for those who have the timing necessary to avoid all the good encounter hits because they can read animations.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Power: Marauder's Escape
    - Not sure if this has already been reported, but when you jump and use Marauder's Escape, you stay in one place and not get the 50' increased distance. Also, if you use this power with your back faced to the wall, you escape away from the wall, meaning you go towards wherever you're facing. While it's convenient, I just thought I'd raise it as well.

- So I've checked out the powers, feats and gear of the Hunter Ranger. One minor thing I've noticed is the lack of variety in terms of the set bonuses for the Hunter Ranger. Though it won't really impact the development of the rangers at end-game that much, it'll just make things a tad too linear IMO. But the nice thing is that all of them serve a solid purpose. The power and feat selections are also really awesome. This class isn't exactly the best DPS class but it could be a competitive one, and it's not exactly a support class but it can also be a competitive one. It can be a hybrid which is so awesome. So many builds to choose from! This class is a jack of all trades. I've seen some people complaining about the DPS of this class but people have to remember that this class has 6 encounters to choose from which brings a wide range of utility with them, which is the best feature of the HR. The HR also has feats which increase the DPS of certain powers and stances in order to make up for the lack of damage of their encounters.

This class requires intelligent character building and play. It's not as direct as most other classes but the variety in the selection of powers to choose from scales well with how a person wants to play his HG. If he wants to go linear and just do DPS he can do so, but if he wants something more immersive, he can do other exotic builds as well.

Overall I like the HG as it is. If it'll be updated in the near future I'll be looking forward to testing the new stuff as well. :) Great job with the new class!
  • Options
    matii1509matii1509 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Feats: Expert Skirmisher
    Don't work. Run speed shows same value.
  • Options
    dragoncrest0dragoncrest0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    matii1509 wrote: »
    Bug: Feats: Expert Skirmisher
    Don't work. Run speed shows same value.

All movement speed feats do not reflect in the character sheet. This is a problem for all classes.
  • Options
    jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Shift
    I have always bind Shift to Mouse scroll down on all my other chars, and it'll dodge once. But on the ranger it'll dodge and won't stop once I've used Mouse scroll down as my dodge.
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • Options
    indevaindeva Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Actionpoint bar
    When looking at the actionpoint bar it says {UNTRANSLATEN: Action_points.Tooltip.Player_Archer} instead of saying how rangers gain actionpoints
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    It's weird that when I go into combat for the first time in the tutorial (right after talking to Linkletter), the system explains to me that I can use Tab to toggle between modes -- except I can't because the ability is locked. It's also weird that I have these blades I'm carrying that I can't use until I'm level 10. I like consistency across classes, but this Tab thing isn't working for HRs -- I feel like it should be unlocked from the start. I might revise my thoughts as I play more...it's just odd right now.

Thought about this a little more. Why not just give HRs a different item in the very first quest where you get your initial gear on the shore after the shipwreck, like gloves or something, and have knives drop later on with a minimum level requirement of 10? Then there's no weirdness of being able to equip weapons that you can't actually use. It also makes sense for an archer to carry gloves from the start (a bowstring shreds your fingertips if you're a beginning archer), so that might be a good alternative for that first equipment pick-up.

I freely admit this isn't really a big thing and other people are probably okay with it; it just annoys my sense of logic when my HR runs around carrying these scimitar-looking knives that don't look appropriate for any non-combat use, yet can't actually use them in combat.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    I freely admit this isn't really a big thing and other people are probably okay with it; it just annoys my sense of logic when my HR runs around carrying these scimitar-looking knives that don't look appropriate for any non-combat use, yet can't actually use them in combat.

It brothers me, too.
    I found a total of 5 blade loots before I could use ANY of them (one of them was a super chest reward) - as soon as I reached level 10 and was able to use them, I'd already thrown-out (discarded/sold-off) four blades- INCLUDING the Super Chest reward - which makes that a moot reward (hence: never got rewarded for that quest other than XP, etc.).

So, yeah, this does niggle me to no end.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Quest reward items follow a fixed structure, so the ones that are designated "off-hand item for your class" will be dropping blades, but it does seem weird in this case where it's a visible item that doesn't get used until your tab unlocks at level 10, effectively a stat-boost item like the off-hands for CWs, DCs, and GWFs, none of which affect your appearance.

As a side note, while TRs and GFs receive off-hand items while washing up on the beach, because theirs are immediately functional, the other classes only get armour and a main-hand item.

I agree that it's something that doesn't feel right.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    n0fxer#8270 n0fxer Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    GENERAL FEEDBACK: Overall I am digging the feel of the HR, however my only personal gripe would be the aiming system involved with archery.. loading up Split Shot, and with the way that mobs path to you in combat causes me sometimes to swing off to the side if the one mob I am locked on is charging my flank, leaving me wide open from the side I was originally facing. Camera-based aiming would be absolutely killer and would lead to a smoother, immersive experience in my opinion.

Not to mention that the melee/archery switching took some getting used to, by the time I hit level 28 I am finally getting a grasp on swapping on the fly between the two which really opened up some more active combat on my part. It was annoying to get all these blades that I could wear and not use till level 10, where I was hoping to learn the key aspect to the HR, which is a split between melee and ranged combat and figuring out how to blend the two.

Like I mentioned, I am liking the overall feel of the class, Rain of Arrows notwithstanding (I stopped using that a while ago, just too little area/lead up to put it to use, as I mentioned, mob pathing is clunky when they set up their attacks, making it stressful to try and get away long enough to set things up. I have to admit that the Shift/dodge they get makes things a little easier, but when the mobs stick to you when you move if they are setting up their next animation, it becomes a lesson in frustration in hoping you can lose them long enough to reposition.

Some fixes as placed in the thread already and maybe the option to camera-aim your archery instead of auto-aim and I see something solid stem from the new class. And maybe a more archery-focused path before release would be awesome as well.
  • Options
    l3g10nna1rel3g10nna1re Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    @ the Devs

Still waiting to hear what the second path is for the Hunter ranger?
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There isn't one yet.
  • Options
    mstrssihrmstrssihr Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    (Thank you for creating this wonderful thread and allowing us to help you build this awesome class! I've come to have a great respect for you, the devs, you guys really do rock at communicating with your player-base. <3)

dongargon wrote: »
    The shift ability for the HR looks more suitable for a TR and the TR shift ability more suitable for a HR. HR should not be able to dual wield and their melee skills should be defensive in nature to allow escape to range. This is prevent to class homogenization, right now the ranger and rogue looks and behave similar in melee range. The HR class can't have the best of both worlds their weakness should be melee range.

dongargon wrote: »
    ...takes from some of the nature skills from 4e Seeker class which is primal and HR is martial.

^ This. He nailed my concerns. ^

Also....

wh1pa1.jpg

It came out a bit blurry :/

Only after you create the character and go into your Character Sheet can you see the following full details about what the ability points really do. Please add this information to the character creation screen as well!

2yw60w0.jpg

x, MPB
    - Major Peachy Bottom * Gutbuster's Brigade -

"Last request - microtransactions for alllll old skins for zen/weapon appearance changes, 500 zen to make ur wep glow the color/enchant you want it... You will make more off that one item than any other zen item ever made." freshour

"beckylunatic" Gateway AH should have column headers to sort by buyout, bid, end time, quantity, etc. These disappeared iirc with the module launch. It's obnoxious.
  • Options
    n0fxer#8270 n0fxer Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    BUG: FEATS: BLACK ARROWS: I know this was mentioned already but is still alarmingly breaking the damage of the HR is that when taking the feat, it lowers the base Critical Severity while adding the feat % as an addition, basically doing nothing. If its a visual thing, it would still be good to be addressed since it threw me off some lol
  • Options
    indevaindeva Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Forest Meditation
    Say it cost 75% of your action points but you need 76% to use it.
  • Options
    matii1509matii1509 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Powers: Twin-Blade Storm
    Instead of increasing the damage dealt by 4% reduces it to 4%. For example without it I hit for 250, with 10.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Feats: Master of Comabt
    Feat hits me when I'm using power Forest Meditation.
This discussion has been closed.