test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger

Comments

• xmousepadxxmousepadx Member Posts: 381 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    mio1968 wrote: »
    I am not sure if you guys understand how armor penetration works. Having more than 24% resistance ignored is completely useless in PvE. It is not diminishing returns, it's just plain wasted. Effectively, these sets are giving you at least 300 (likely much more for the average player) less stat points than other T2 sets. It also makes any ring, belt, amulet, pet, or artifact that provides armor penetration a waste of stat points.

And again u rly think that would change anything in pve?
    If u wouldnt waste 300 points the whole dungeon would be like what... 5sec faster??
    Cmon u cant be serious.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    djarud wrote: »
    At range, the class is in general too low dmg, with gaps that are far out of hand and too low Control,

In Melee, the class is too low dmg, and although mobile, lack the actual evasiveness they should have, as well as their Support/Control capabilities being almost all about them being in Melee combat.

I recognise the issues with level 17, but it was an expansion on someone else's data for comparison ;)

The bit I quoted matches my conclusions; either not enough DPS for striker or not enough control for Controller.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
    edited November 2013
    I am not sure if you guys understand how armor penetration works. Having more than 24% resistance ignored is completely useless in PvE. It is not diminishing returns, it's just plain wasted. Effectively, these sets are giving you at least 300 (likely much more for the average player) less stat points than other T2 sets. It also makes any ring, belt, amulet, pet, or artifact that provides armor penetration a waste of stat points.

Well for a start I only see a 1% return on ArP from gear into actual ignored resistance; so gear only based ArP requires 2400 to hit 24% or for HRs 1800 with 16 Str. So the armour's stats still look good to me.

Its also not like you will never do PvP where ArP can need to reach 40% or more just to climb over a pretty basic GF's Reduction.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited November 2013
    BTw we got a fey bow from the bazar npc...looks pretty amazing! atleast some good news!
  • mio1968mio1968 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited November 2013
    Well for a start I only see a 1% return on ArP from gear into actual ignored resistance; so gear only based ArP requires 2400 to hit 24% or for HRs 1800 with 16 Str. So the armour's stats still look good to me.

Its also not like you will never do PvP where ArP can need to reach 40% or more just to climb over a pretty basic GF's Reduction.

My post in this feedback thread was clearly directed at the devs. However, since you took the time to make a very interesting and extensive post on the HR damage as compared to TR and CW, I will take the time and attempt to explain the design flaw in some HR sets.

An HR rolling minimum strength will have 16 strength with campfire at level 60, which makes you need 1747 armor penetration to reach the 24% maximum reduction required. If someone decided to roll a 15 starting strength instead, or 18 at level 60 with campfire, he'd need 1550 armor penetration at most.

The top three weapon sets give 450 armor penetration as a two piece bonus. These are Fallen Dragon, the Fomorian, and the Dread Legion, the latter having an extra 448 armor penetration between bow and blades.

Two T2 armors, the Royal Guard and the Master Predator carry 1271 armor penetration in stats and another 450 as a two piece bonus, for a total of 1721 armor penetration. The Dread Legion has 1312 armor penetration, but the bonus is crit.

If one is lucky or persistent enough to get one of the best weapons and one of these T2 sets, they will find themselves with 2171 armor penetration. That is 424 above what an HR which started with the minimum possible strength roll of 13 and campfire needs. If the HR started with 15 strength, he will be wasting 621 points instead. If one wants to use the top rings, amulet, and belt from the two campaigns, that is another 320 armor penetration wasted. If one wants, say, a hawk companion, that is another potential 165 armor penetration wasted. And the list goes on.

How is this not a design flaw? How can you do such a meticulous job on damage comparison and not be bothered that a 12k HR might actually be performing at 11k or 11.5k? For all intents and purposes that HR could have an extra 500-1000 critical chance or power, which surely would increase its damage.

Sure, it is not as important as the Lone Wolf bug or the Nature's Enhancement bug, but it is still well worth mentioning in a feedback thread.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Cause not everyone is going to have all that gear. So changes to Armor Penetration on that is gear is not needed. And not everyone is going to have ideal stats, so changes not needed.
    edited November 2013
    Ok so this is what I see;

T2 Dungeon Sets:
    Royal Guard; 1535 (If you want ArP this set has the better Set Bonus Power of the 2 high ArP sets)
    Master Predator: 1535 (Considering you need to stack Deflect elsewhere as the set has none to trigger its own benefit...)
    Grand Warden: 574 (Arguably the best Set bonus with its damage spike.)
    Forest Lord: 0 (If you go the Nature Buff route this is the set for you.)

Module Sets:
    Fabled: 1293
    Dread Legion: 1348

Weapons
    Royal Guard: 434
    Master Predator:
    Grand Warden: 196
    Forest Lord: 0
    Fabled: 442
    Dread Legion: 712
    Castle Never: 470
    Fomorian: 264 (set only)
    Fallen Dragon: 264 (set only)

Neck/Ring/Belt: Both Dread and Fabled add another 240.

Given my play style I'll probably shoot for Royal Guard Set + Fabled Weapons + a Ring/Belt/Neck set for 1975 ArP, meaning I need Str 15 to hit 24%. Best thing, not a single point needs to come from elsewhere to get that magic 24%..sure I'll probably end up with a few points extra but that looks good too me.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited November 2013
    The damage on this power is about half of the damage on the weapon, it needs a boost to 2/3rds. Still less per target than Rapid and Split but meaningful damage in and of itself.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    You get 2377 Armor pen from Royal guard set and castle never bow set alone and about 3119 power to tack on with 504 regen and 780 deflection and 766 defence thats with out adding in your accessories. This set totally makes me wanna rethink my states rolls again lolz it basically mean ill be staking defence and more regin or life steal. The forest Lord armor gives about just as much power and recovery as the Royal guard gives armor pen and power alone same can be said about master pred with crit and armor pen and grand warden power and crit but there be no bow set that gives recovery set bonus or a crit bonus. Add in the Regen you can get from blue rings and the 700 Regen you get from having both regen artifacts and the 400+ healing bonus from one of them and Natures blessing affecting regen. The pet passives and good lord
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mio1968mio1968 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited November 2013
    Your numbers seem a little off. My guess is you are not level 60 yet, as they display based on your level.

Royal Guard would be my first choice too, but I may end up going for Grand Warden because of the amor penetration issue. At level 60, with the items you said you want (assuming campaign rings, amulet and belt) and 16 strength with campfire (minimum possible value for a ranger at 60), you will end up with 744 wasted armor penetration. And that is with zero armor penetration on pets or relics, including items on an augment pet.

Edit: in reply to Obsidian
    edited November 2013
    No not level 60... if the numbers in the Collections page are level modified down that's an issue that needs to be reported I guess, because having them level modified down is useless when the set requires level 60 to equip anyway.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited November 2013
    Your numbers seem a little off. My guess is you are not level 60 yet, as they display based on your level.

Royal Guard would be my first choice too, but I may end up going for Grand Warden because of the amor penetration issue. At level 60, with the items you said you want (assuming campaign rings, amulet and belt) and 16 strength with campfire (minimum possible value for a ranger at 60), you will end up with 744 wasted armor penetration. And that is with zero armor penetration on pets or relics, including items on an augment pet.

Edit: in reply to Obsidian

I would agree the sets have alot of armor pen But seriously if your not stacking it yourself then oh well Royal guard has just to good natural regen and deflection to pass up and it has a nice set bonus to boot. With this set i can get a easy 1k regen with 1 artifact and a belt and probably neer the 2k or more mark if i tried hard enough same can be said about defence and deflection stats. If one likes stacking them and i believe you can with such a High offensive set.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    voltomey wrote: »
    I would agree the sets have alot of armor pen But seriously if your not stacking it yourself then oh well Royal guard has just to good natural regen and deflection to pass up and it has a nice set bonus to boot. With this set i can get a easy 1k regen with 1 artifact and a belt and probably neer the 2k or more mark if i tried hard enough same can be said about defence and deflection stats. If one likes stacking them and i believe you can with such a High offensive set.

I know Volt, I like that set bonus too, but it hurts to lose out on 744 stat points. For the most part the stats on sets are irrelevant, because your can adjust your overall stats with the jewelry and enchants to reach whichever goals you set. What counts is the 4-piece bonus and the sum of the stats, which is usually the same for same tier equipment. The exception to this is, like you pointed out, regeneration because it is a rare stat on purples and cannot be adjusted via enchants, and, in the case of the HR, armor penetration, as the high amount limits your choice of other equipment.

BTW, regeneration has huge diminishing returns. You will not get a significant increase for values over 1k.
    edited November 2013
    I know Volt, I like that set bonus too, but it hurts to lose out on 744 stat points. For the most part the stats on sets are irrelevant, because your can adjust your overall stats with the jewelry and enchants to reach whichever goals you set. What counts is the 4-piece bonus and the sum of the stats, which is usually the same for same tier equipment. The exception to this is, like you pointed out, regeneration because it is a rare stat on purples and cannot be adjusted via enchants, and, in the case of the HR, armor penetration, as the high amount limits your choice of other equipment.

BTW, regeneration has huge diminishing returns. You will not get a significant increase for values over 1k.

I will say That the added armor penetration Both limits as well as opened's up other state options for HR But let me ask cause i am going to assume your a archery tree HR yes. Archery There are two feats in archery that Make stacking crit in a sense redundant and i would think you could hit 20% crit with Grand warden with little to no effort and sense mastery archery and Correcting aime basically give you free crits one could argue stacking Crits slightly useless in the archery tree well stacking more than 20%. 6 none crits would give you 30% more crit chance and if you crit and proc master archery you get a 100% guaranteed crit. Stacking crit would be better for say a melee ranger even if we do get a buff thats gives us 10% added crit we get a 20% crit chance right off the bat with that feat and wisdom bonus and i can assume you can push higher if you stack it.

From playing The HR i can say what ever we Stack is totally dependent on witch tree we run But power is the absolute must stack stat for HR and even thats not overly hard to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    I will say That the added armor penetration Both limits as well as opened's up other state options for HR But let me ask cause i am going to assume your a archery tree HR yes. Archery There are two feats in archery that Make stacking crit in a sense redundant and i would think you could hit 20% crit with Grand warden with little to no effort and sense mastery archery and Correcting aime basically give you free crits one could argue stacking Crits slightly useless in the archery tree well stacking more than 20%. 6 none crits would give you 30% more crit chance and if you crit and proc master archery you get a 100% guaranteed crit. Stacking crit would be better for say a melee ranger even if we do get a buff thats gives us 10% added crit we get a 20% crit chance right off the bat with that feat and wisdom bonus and i can assume you can push higher if you stack it.

From playing The HR i can say what ever we Stack is totally dependent on witch tree we run But power is the absolute must stack stat for HR and even thats not overly hard to do.

I am actually a melee build, but even the archery tree benefits greatly from the crit stat. I also thought it was not needed, until someone posted a graph showing nominal crit chance vs crit chance adjusted by feats. It turns out the benefit increases with higher nominal crit chance. IIRC, a nominal 30% crit chance corresponds to around 50% real crit chance. In any case, I will likely level two rangers. I tested both ranged and melee, and they play completely differently and are both a lot of fun.

I don't mind arpen on the sets, just not so much that it takes me over the cap. Changing the two piece bonus of both armor and weapon sets to anything other than armor penetration would do the trick.
  • gipsylassgipsylass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 61
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Setting of Powers doesn't work
    I'm trying to set new powers respectively level up old ones and it doesn't work. I set them, click ok, close char sheet and when I reopen the char sheet they're not set. This would explain why I feel so weak... , so I'll stop testing until this is fixed.
  • runes2001runes2001 Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2013
    Mattlin, from Bad to Worse Gaming takes a first look at the ranger class on the preview shard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBfH9h2QoTY
    Will you be saving up for a character slot?
  • manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    runes2001 wrote: »
    Mattlin, from Bad to Worse Gaming takes a first look at the ranger class on the preview shard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBfH9h2QoTY
    Will you be saving up for a character slot?

Already have one eagerly waiting.
    edited November 2013
    Hmm that's odd gypsylass, I can increment powers/feats without a problem (did several levels yesterday) and dragged them to the power bar no problems either (always messing with power sets to find a good combo). Were you using the new right click option to slot powers?
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It seems there are some oddities happening while leveling powers in the skill tree. Sadly, i wasn't recording or didn't got a screenshot, but there was a moment where i could access the 20 point spent powers, while i had spent only 13.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • gipsylassgipsylass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 61
    edited November 2013
    Hmm that's odd gypsylass, I can increment powers/feats without a problem (did several levels yesterday) and dragged them to the power bar no problems either (always messing with power sets to find a good combo). Were you using the new right click option to slot powers?

The problems I'm having is with incrementing slotted powers. Did it a few times today and it seemd to work and then I was wondering why I was still "feeling weak" and when I checked the powers again, they were back to their old settings.
    At first I thought "Ok, so maybe I've forgotten to click <<OK>>", but then I did it again and the same thing happened... obviously there's a bug - but not for everybody maybe? Strange..
    edited November 2013

No, just no...300power gives u 0.5%dmg increase...
    I don't even know why power would be any better on a HR than on any other class.
    Power is ONLY DECENT when u play nature that's all about it, and maybe 1% of all HR will play that!
    I hate ppl throwing in random stuff and try to tell ppl nonsense who dont have the time for testing stuff and believe it!
    Bring a half decent argument why power would be so much better than everything else.
    edited November 2013
    xmousepadx wrote: »
    No, just no...300power gives u 0.5%dmg increase...
    I don't even know why power would be any better on a HR than on any other class.
    Power is ONLY DECENT when u play nature that's all about it, and maybe 1% of all HR will play that!
    I hate ppl throwing in random stuff and try to tell ppl nonsense who dont have the time for testing stuff and believe it!
    Bring a half decent argument why power would be so much better than everything else.

Cause with royal guard you can cap out on Armor Pen Regen Deflect and not even break a sweat you can get crit cap from pets passives and a Stone if you want to stack life steal i believe you can go that route also but to simply put Power takes priority after crit and Arm Pen are caped out as it directly contributes to your damage while Critical Strike and Armor Penetration are secondary because they indirectly contribute to it. Any way even in trash gear my ranger had close to 5k power in bad blue and purple t1 gear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    gipsylass wrote: »
    The problems I'm having is with incrementing slotted powers. Did it a few times today and it seemd to work and then I was wondering why I was still "feeling weak" and when I checked the powers again, they were back to their old settings.
    At first I thought "Ok, so maybe I've forgotten to click <<OK>>", but then I did it again and the same thing happened... obviously there's a bug - but not for everybody maybe? Strange..
    Which powers?

I'll level one of my 2 up and test depending on the powers and see if I can reproduce the bug.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited November 2013
    Cause with royal guard you can cap out on Armor Pen Regen Deflect and not even break a sweat you can get crit cap from pets passives and a Stone if you want to stack life steal i believe you can go that route also but to simply put Power takes priority after crit and Arm Pen are caped out as it directly contributes to your damage while Critical Strike and Armor Penetration are secondary because they indirectly contribute to it. Any way even in trash gear my ranger had close to 5k power in bad blue and purple t1 gear

Even when u dr ur crit after 2.2kish its still better than power when u use a perf vorpal...
    Atleast when ur archery specced.
  • grimwolf512grimwolf512 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There is a great deal of feedback on this class but here is my two cents:

Very meh in my book. I would rather swap it out for a normal dodge instead of bunny hop dodging it does.

Feels weak. Almost an after thought. I feel that sticking to range mode still does better DPS and surviability instead of getting hit. It just feels weak and not worth dealing with being in range of heavy melee fighter types.

Bug: Bow on Back
    Looks like it needs to be over to the left a tad and down. More just a look thing.

Bug: Grasping Roots
    I have yet to see this proc. And if it has there is no noticeable difference to the mob.

The class has potential. The melee is kinda weak and the dodge mechanic is not very good. But after reading some of the other feedback I have good hope for this class. Personally I would like to see a summon animal attack or something that covers the Ranger's affinity for nature. I also hope to see a paragon class that is dedicated to range like a sniper. I like to range on this class a great deal.
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Grasping Roots
    I have yet to see this proc. And if it has there is no noticeable difference to the mob.
    At low levels its only Hindering Shot that makes Grasping Roots, and the Weak Grasping Roots it applies is only really noticeable on slow moving mobs, though if you are at extreme range you can see it affect normal movement mobs.

That said it does need to be stronger imo :)
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Binding Arrow
    This power appears to only apply Grasping Roots sometimes. I got it to produce them at point blank range, but at anything other than point blank range they never seem to appear.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • tecnoshamantecnoshaman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I just created the class and notice something that I am not sure if this has been mention before. I was able survive 10 - 15 mobs at level 8. Would this be overpowered or not? I played the rogue and died twice like this.
    edited November 2013
    I just created the class and notice something that I am not sure if this has been mention before. I was able survive 10 - 15 mobs at level 8. Would this be overpowered or not? I played the rogue and died twice like this.

U are the reason why hunter ranger got nerfed way too much.... complainings about lvl 10-15 gameplay...
This discussion has been closed.