test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Post your real life picture!

Comments

• Options
    sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Indeed! Gold Cartridge, baby!

psshhh...Zelda. Shining Force > Zelda and Final Fantasy.

^--- That was just some minor teasing. Please don't turn this into a huge fight about that topic, lol
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
  • Options
    kwsapphirekwsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sadgfh wrote: »
    Wait, what? An early adopter? How old are you? I'm pretty sure you're younger than me, and I don't consider myself an early adopter. I started using computers in the early 90s. I didn't really become obsessed until Battlezone and various Blizzard games from the mind-late 90s though.

Born in 1980, hopped online in 1995. I was instantly hooked and spent as much time online as possible. You know, back when Yahoo was the only major search engine, and you could search on something and get back a dozen results or fewer. HAH. The "good ol' days" of the internet. I had at least one friend that was online in 1994 (or maybe late '93) though, so I'm not the earliest adopter I know.
    qtPt2I
  • Options
    sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ohh, ok. I was wrong, I was born in 83. I didn't realize you meant early adopter for the internet though. I was thinking you meant just computers in generally, lol. I didn't really use web browsers much, mostly just played online games and occasionally harassed people on chatrooms.
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    kwsapphire wrote: »
    Born in 1980, hopped online in 1995. I was instantly hooked and spent as much time online as possible. You know, back when Yahoo was the only major search engine, and you could search on something and get back a dozen results or fewer. HAH. The "good ol' days" of the internet. I had at least one friend that was online in 1994 (or maybe late '93) though, so I'm not the earliest adopter I know.
    I was AOL-RPing it in the early 90's! You know, back when EMO was a good thing before it was even a "thing." I remember when "pwn" first came to be. It started as "owned" and as enough fast-talking pvpers typed it, enough typo'd enough that it became "powned" then "pwned" now "pwn." I think that's one of the cool things about having lived and played through the life so far of the public internet, we've gotten to see further horrible desecration of the English Language. *the mage chuckles madley*

I even remember "QQ" for it actually started as being representative of "Quit Crying" with the first 1 representing Quit and the 2nd signifying an eye crying. Now, it's become synonymous with just "Crying" and represents two eyes crying, being used as "Quit QQ" now, which to me looks silly but works I suppose.

orvago008.jpg

Anyway on the note of oldies, here's one of me with my favorite car, a 1973 Ford Maverick, Dark Hunter Metallic Green with Chrome Plating. She was my "Green Goddess" and was a beast! The only car I have ever missed and truly loved.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I thought it was funny when the l33t sp33k abbreviations people used turned up in text messages and was nearly identical. I was like, man I thought this was lame online in the early 2000s...now were doing it again on cell phones?
  • Options
    edited March 2013

orvago008.jpg

Anyway on the note of oldies, here's one of me with my favorite car, a 1973 Ford Maverick, Dark Hunter Metallic Green with Chrome Plating. She was my "Green Goddess" and was a beast! The only car I have ever missed and truly loved.

That is a pretty awesome car.
  • Options
    kadlenakadlena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298
    edited March 2013
    scan0004_zpsbb5a3f23.jpg

Experimenting with my first Paint program. New Jersey, 1974.

Yes, ...this is what we did for entertainment. A paint brush and a bowl of water, lol. Before we had gaming consoles, cable tv, cell phones or fashion sense. ;)
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    I guess I might as well join Zeb and do note this is quite dated now; 6 years or so.
    Sadly it's all I got.

Senior Picture
    Chris_Ring.jpg

And of course the worst familiar I ever had...*grumbles*
    DSCF0623.jpg

Just kidding. I love her to death but...I mean...come on...
  • Options
    kyllroy2kyllroy2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 309 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Oh familiars! I almost forgot to ask If i can have 2. These came packaged this way.
    [IMG][/img]Stuffing-1.jpg
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    And of course the worst familiar I ever had...*grumbles*
    DSCF0623.jpg

Just kidding. I love her to death but...I mean...come on...

Looks like your familiar has a familiar now! *the mage laughs hysterically*
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    kyllroy2 wrote: »
    Oh familiars! I almost forgot to ask If i can have 2. These came packaged this way.
    [IMG][/img]Stuffing-1.jpg

Best Lockedbox, ever! Are those Bengals?
  • Options
    iazooiazoo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ugh, that sounds awful. I got a lot of that through high school and my early 20s, because at the time there weren't many people who knew how to use computers, and I was something of an "early adopter". Of course, a lot of people still don't know how to use computers; we use them a lot like we use our cars. I know a few basic things about how my car works, but if it breaks I'm certainly not going to attempt to fix it myself! So I shouldn't be too shocked that the majority of end users don't actually know what they're doing. They don't have to know, so why bother?

I use that exact analogy to explain why I learned mechanics and computer repair, haha. I use cars and computers every day... in fact, I rely on both to earn a paycheck. Might as well know how to fix them when they break. ;)
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Me when I walked into the room and saw my familiar:

1868967-1862309_notsureifserious.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    sadgfh wrote: »
    Ohh, ok. I was wrong, I was born in 83. I didn't realize you meant early adopter for the internet though. I was thinking you meant just computers in generally, lol. I didn't really use web browsers much, mostly just played online games and occasionally harassed people on chatrooms.

Oh, I started using computers somewhere between 1990 and 1992. My dad was a mainframe operator for First Florida Bank (which got bought by Barnett, which was then bought by First Union, which was bought by Wachovia, which was recently purchased by Wells Fargo..) Anyway, so we (as a family) weren't familiar with personal computers, but my dad was often allowed to bring me to work (he had to work a lot of weekends) and I spent a lot of time sitting in the mainframe room, doodling on the paper that came with perforated strips of holes on the side, attached end to end, in a box. (Do they even still make paper like that?) I still love the smell of carbon that comes out of fax machines, because that's what the mainframe room always smelled like.

We had a dumb terminal in the house for a while, so Dad could log into work, and then later his company was throwing out a bunch of old hardware, so my dad brought some of it home. So that was our first PC, I think it used 5-inch boot disks. Windows existed, but we didn't have it, so we had what Dad called "poor man's Windows"; I think it was actually called Menu. I wondered why we even needed an operating system since we ran all our software from disks. Then Dad brought home a Zenith laptop for me; the thing was about 2 or 3 cubic feet and 30lbs, it was crazy. (It was the size of a tower, but it had a built in monitor that folded up from the middle, so laptop.) And I think that one used 3-inch boot disks, but I'm not sure. And I was definitely using an Apple IIe by 1992 - there were no computer labs in school yet, but my 6th grade science teacher was an early-adopter of technology, and somehow managed to get an Apple IIe in her classroom. So I spent as much time on it as possible, and played with Hypercard a lot. In fact I caught on so quickly that my 7th grade science teacher brought me over to her 9th/10th grade class to have me show the students how to use the computer and Hypercard.

So while I haven't been online/using computers longer than everyone in the world, I jumped on the wagon as early as I could, and I've been here ever since! I truly consider myself a Denizen of the Internet; it's my home, my world.
    I was AOL-RPing it in the early 90's! You know, back when EMO was a good thing before it was even a "thing." I remember when "pwn" first came to be. It started as "owned" and as enough fast-talking pvpers typed it, enough typo'd enough that it became "powned" then "pwned" now "pwn." I think that's one of the cool things about having lived and played through the life so far of the public internet, we've gotten to see further horrible desecration of the English Language. *the mage chuckles madley*

I even remember "QQ" for it actually started as being representative of "Quit Crying" with the first 1 representing Quit and the 2nd signifying an eye crying. Now, it's become synonymous with just "Crying" and represents two eyes crying, being used as "Quit QQ" now, which to me looks silly but works I suppose.

Okay, I haven't seen anyone say "Quit QQ"; I'm glad you said that because if I saw someone say that, I'd start in with the "Do you say ATM Machine and HIV Virus, too?"
    kadlena wrote: »
    scan0004_zpsbb5a3f23.jpg

Yes, ...this is what we did for entertainment. A paint brush and a bowl of water, lol. Before we had gaming consoles, cable tv, cell phones or fashion sense. ;)

I was using advanced technology at that age too, then... I got CHALK! ;] Water was for cleaning up after the fun..
    qtPt2I
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    kadlena wrote: »
    scan0004_zpsbb5a3f23.jpg

Did you get.your chalk and crayons taken away for eating them?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Okay, I haven't seen anyone say "Quit QQ"; I'm glad you said that because if I saw someone say that, I'd start in with the "Do you say ATM Machine and HIV Virus, too?"

Yeah, when ever I see someone post something like "QQ More!" I read it as "Quit Crying More" and I just laugh. But hey, times changes and so does slang, even on the interwebs.
  • Options
    selaralselaral Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, when ever I see someone post something like "QQ More!" I read it as "Quit Crying More" and I just laugh. But hey, times changes and so does slang, even on the interwebs.
    Stop! You're making me feel old >:/

Multiple Personas, only 'One' me
    "Why should one devolve themselves to try and entertain those of a lesser mindset around them?"
  • Options
    machinegunbluesmachinegunblues Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Greetings denizens of the internet!

1fei6q.jpg

Me derping around the Met. This is the usual photo I upload whenever one of these threads comes around as I photograph terribly, and this is one of the few that don't look (completely) derpy.
  • Options
    crystalheartcrystalheart Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21
    edited March 2013
    <
    thats me in the avatar picture :)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    @machinegunblues - I don't think you look derpy at all! What do your buttons say?

And welcome to Crystalheart as well! Another femme-gamer, outstanding! The userpic is a bit small, but it looks like you have a really warm smile. ^_^
    qtPt2I
  • Options
    machinegunbluesmachinegunblues Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think most of them were just bands. The red one's definitely for the Street Dogs (Mike McColgan's outfit after he left Dropkick), the other two to either side umm, Agnostic Front and some other thing I forget.

Also (and forgive me if this was answered waaaay back in the thread) how did the CoX character shirt come about, you make it yourself? Cuz that is seriously cool. I play Champs, and for obvious reasons we seem to be getting alot of former CoXers nowadays.
  • Options
    kyllroy2kyllroy2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 309 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Best Lockedbox, ever! Are those Bengals?
    Bengal mix I think. One thing they do is hunt well. They bring it all back home too. I've had live rabbit, alligator lizards and small chickens let loose in the house as well as the odd, not live gopher, bird, mouse, rat and grasshopper to dispose of. They own the neighborhood. [IMG][/img]101naptime-m375.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    kyllroy2 wrote: »
    Bengal mix I think. One thing they do is hunt well. They bring it all back home too. I've had live rabbit, alligator lizards and small chickens let loose in the house as well as the odd, not live gopher, bird, mouse, rat and grasshopper to dispose of. They own the neighborhood. [IMG][/img]101naptime-m375.jpg

Did one of them bring back the baby dragon? If so, I would suggest never teasing your cats.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Also (and forgive me if this was answered waaaay back in the thread) how did the CoX character shirt come about, you make it yourself? Cuz that is seriously cool. I play Champs, and for obvious reasons we seem to be getting alot of former CoXers nowadays.
    I'm not sure about Ricktacular's super awesome shirt, but I used Zazzle for my KWS/blaster shirt. I took a screenshot, brought it into photoshop, blew it up huge, and applied filters until I smoothed out all the pixellation from blowing it up. The BubbleYumm shirt was done by a friend of a friend who briefly dabbled in a shirt screen-printing business, but as far as I know he dropped it pretty quick. I'm fairly happy with Zazzle's initial quality, but the pattern does start wearing off the shirt after a few washes. I don't know if it will ever get so faded that I won't wear it, but for $20 I'm pretty satisfied.
    qtPt2I
  • Options
    ricktacularricktacular Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I got my shirt from my loving and wonderful wife for Christmas. She got it online through a place that laminated vinyl layers. I would have preferred a silk-screening because the vinyl itches my chest like mad, but I still love the shirt.
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Now (well, about 7 years ago):
    orvago018.jpg

This cant be you there is no beard
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I'm still growing it out from my last Fireball Shooting Contest at the Magefair...

*the old mage shakes his fist recalling seeing the old sage laughing in the distance at him*
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I guess itll be my turn soon to post some of my old pics... so stay tuned

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Here is a really old one of me, Im on the right
    19976_1364185989732_5495234_n.jpg

3rd grade at the science fair at school, I won 3rd place

16632_1278545919722_7167201_n.jpg

3rd grade Greek gods and goddesses play, Im on the left playing Ares the god of war
    16632_1278322594139_5844229_n.jpg

I think this one was 5th grade, fron of the line, at Washington Arkansas

3161_1128835455718_1024589_n.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    marenormarenor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ahh, the memories of the first computers people used. I am a bit older which allows for earlier adoption of technology. Cassette cartridge memory devices, making the ball bounce and change colours on what predates a commodore 64 and measuring transfer rates in baud are some of my favourites. For me the sound codes sent by early modems and fax machines bring back the kind of memories that the carbon smell does for kwsapphire. I remember the internet before browsers, was lucky enough to be in University as the technology was developed and had access to a Gateway. The fond memories of code lines to interact with computers. And for the "Get off my lawn" portion of the memories, I still prefer DOS to GUIs. The nightmares of fixing broken Excel sheets is well known to me, my favourites were when the macros failed to survive the updates to Excel. Thank you for the memories everyone.

And now back to the topic at hand. I am travelling right now and lack access to any pictures that may be present in a digital format of me. I am also quite skilled at being somewhere else when pictures are being taken. So I will take a look when I return to see if there is one that is new enough to not be a deception and not blurred from my finger be extended towards a camera to distort the focus.

It is nice to put a face to some of the posters in the forums.

"Bah, what magic is this that drew me out of position lurking safely in the background" the dwarf laughs (bwahaha)