test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Beta Anxiety Thread!

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Shhh, we're not supposed to release that until Monday!...

Oh, our Lords and Masters have approved the rest of the people knowing? Rejoice!
    Can I haz spoilers?
  • ezrasteel1ezrasteel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Regardless of when Beta testing begins, Neverwinter will not lack for people lining up to participate in it. I am absolutely certain of this. I say this with all due respect, the developers of this game do not need the members of these forums (yet). People will line up in droves to beta test it. If the game is good, more and more will come, the few people who regularly post here and visit will find themselves surrounded by folks new to the forums, players who are just as interested and determined to play a well crafted game.

If it is delayed, then it's delayed. Not much we can do about it. If another game comes along and it interests me, I'll play it. When this game is released, I will try it.

I'm waiting for a game to be developed that I'm very interested in playing. (Not this one, another game that is in "pre-development") Lord knows when it will be released, the date keeps getting pushed back. So I keep goofing around, playing various games, hanging out in the occassional forum, and smiling.

Developers keep getting my money. I pay a subscription fee or two. When Neverwinter goes live, I expect to be there, regardless of when that day is.

My Best,

Jim
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Interesting thread so far, we were knocking this question around my local game shop today when one friend made a very astute observation that he thought that Neverwinter was more or less in a holding pattern until RaiderZ went live which is a possibility.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Interesting thread so far, we were knocking this question around my local game shop today when one friend made a very astute observation that he thought that Neverwinter was more or less in a holding pattern until RaiderZ went live which is a possibility.

This is very possible. I remember with STO I think closed beta got into "full" swing shortly after the launch of CO, so CB got going around Novemberish and the game launched in Feb. I think NW is further along than STO was when they went into CB, so I think a similar time frame is very possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    varrvarr wrote: »
    This is very possible. I remember with STO I think closed beta got into "full" swing shortly after the launch of CO, so CB got going around Novemberish and the game launched in Feb. I think NW is further along than STO was when they went into CB, so I think a similar time frame is very possible.

It's possible it's caused by an indirect link too. People that work on multiple projects may be focused on that and have more time on NWO once their involvement is done.

However, if I were to guess the likely outcome, I'd say the game (since the announced delay) is ramping up on its expected schedule, and we'll see the release of its future stages without delay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Meh, if I am wrong or the Mayans are upset and me, what's the worst that could happen? It's not like it could be the end of the world... :-D

A little more seriously though, I don't mind waiting for as long as Cryptic feels necessary. I'd wait another year if they wanted, I've waited for a decade or longer already for a FR MMO. What's another year? I'd much rather have a delayed release and delayed betas and longer testings than a marketed push for release.

I don't mind waiting either, but like some have said previously, the lack of new info kind of kills the hype and want to wait. I'm more than fine with waiting another year for it to be finished to make it fantastic, (he11 over a year even) but I'd like to KNOW it might be a year, 5 months, etc. It's kind of like being the donkey who's following the food on a stick in front of it, with the rider saying "You'll get it soon". Not to be mean, but that's how it feels. Dunno about you, but I'm a bit impatient. That's why I love to be a rogue, nothing better than taking what you want to know....or own.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's possible it's caused by an indirect link too. People that work on multiple projects may be focused on that and have more time on NWO once their involvement is done.
    I'm guessing this might have a little to do with it. I can't imagine launch times being anything but an "all hands on deck" affair to make things go as smoothly as possible. Then again, it might just be a marketing decision.
    edited November 2012
    Nahhh! I am nawt ready to wait moar!

I wann my grubby paws on it naow!!!!b:sad

Its already been 2 years b:cry soon soon soon!!!

b:surrender But that is only my inner beast (bear) talking, he is gonna die soon on monday so ....
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    any form of beta by 1/1/13
    With everybody drunk due to parties and such? b:chuckle Still time to avoid a late january beta but...

I wanted to think about a long beta for a long bug hunt but seems like a short beta (involving randon users like us) ahead. Unless they are ready to delay the release more if things go nuts during beta.
    edited November 2012
    shiaika wrote: »
    ... go nuts during beta.
    I believe beta would be more about game balance and making sure that their perceptions of the game matches with a random and diverse sample of crowd.

Most of the bigger bugs would have been removed in alpha by now.

Also, regarding nuts, I think I would like to see Kupo Nut in the beta... wait was it not the kind nut you were talking about?
  • varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I believe beta would be more about game balance and making sure that their perceptions of the game matches with a random and diverse sample of crowd.

Most of the bigger bugs would have been removed in alpha by now.

Also, regarding nuts, I think I would like to see Kupo Nut in the beta... wait was it not the kind nut you were talking about?

Oh there will be some big bugs in beta, beta gives game companies a chance to see how the game runs on a very wide variety of machines that help break things. Then the wide variety of players who go out and break things for fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So! Many people hemming and hawing... Has beta in 2013 been made official in any capacity or is it all speculation, belly-aching, and hearsay?
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i start loosing interest honestly...they could have postponned to a realistic date...that month to month postponning with promisses in between is just annoying...and if teso launches the beta before neverwinter i for sure will try that one out first...in the end im not a die hard fan of any lore, i just care about playing interesting games...and teso gets also raving previews from the ones that could test it so.... i also cant understand how a game like teso can potentially bring out their beta before neverwinter...there must have went something seriously wrong either in their mareting time plan or their development time plan...
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    I guess for me it's just that I have been playing MMOs since they were new (Even before them really with AOL RP Chat Rooms and M59 - UO was my "first true" MMO and have played nearly every MMO to hit the NA Market and countless more overseas) that I don't have any sense of "need" for an MMO to come out fast. I have seen way too many MMOs rushed out the gates and become abominations of their former intentions.

This has gotten to the point where I actually get more excited when I see MMOs get delayed and remain in testing for longer than originally planned. I actually begin to loose interest the moment I see marketing rushing them and rushing buggy content.

In the case of Neverwinter, since this is set in my baby (okay, Ed's baby) the Forgotten Realms, I have extremely high expectations and do not want to see the game rushed one single iota, data, bit or byte. I would love to see this game live up to my wishes for a Forgotten Realms MMO that I have had for so many years now. So yeah, I must admit, in the regard of "doing the Realms right" - I am biased, not to the point of injustice however. I've been DMing the Realms for too long to not be inclined to the Realms' well being and proper portrayal, as well as longevity in an MMO format.
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i know what you mean but see things a bit different for a certain aspect - i want the BETA to come out fast, not the game itself - long beta - even with lots of flaws - means lots of testing, player opinions and feedback and potentially a better game when it releases

when i look at the mmos i have played i can draw a direct connection between the length of the beta, how seriously beta feedback was taken and the resulting quality of the product....therefore a longer beta- even if it starts flawed - will only help the game. especially since a lot of devs dont recognise gameplay flaws in the way the community does (planetside 2 *cough*)...

besides, and im think im not alone - around christmas is a perfect time for a beta since people have time to play...i dont know how busy your days are, but if the game releases in february or march or so or the beta starting january i simply will not have any time to play...christmas is usually a good time, january is horrible - 1st quarter is the busiest time for a lot of people

i think the worst thing that mmo companies do is show a finished game in the beta and use it rather as a marketing tool then what it is supposed to be - most of these mmo's have failed misserably while the true beta mmo's usually have delivered a good end result - so start beta rather earlier when there is enough time and money to actually implement change recommendations from the community
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    i know what you mean but see things a bit different for a certain aspect - i want the BETA to come out fast, not the game itself - long beta - even with lots of flaws - means lots of testing, player opinions and feedback and potentially a better game when it releases

when i look at the mmos i have played i can draw a direct connection between the length of the beta, how seriously beta feedback was taken and the resulting quality of the product....therefore a longer beta- even if it starts flawed - will only help the game. especially since a lot of devs dont recognise gameplay flaws in the way the community does (planetside 2 *cough*)...

besides, and im think im not alone - around christmas is a perfect time for a beta since people have time to play...i dont know how busy your days are, but if the game releases in february or march or so i simply will not have any time to play...christmas is usually a good time

Oh yeah, I can agree with you on Beta. I would love to see a very long beta period. Heck, I'd be happy if the game opened into CBT now but were to remain in CBT for a year or more. To me, the longer the beta, the better. Unfortuanetly, I also understand that this means more money would need to be spent funding longer testing. Slippery slope, indeed.

Mod Note: Forgot to mention, I merged the recent "General consensus on beta" thread into this one to keep Beta Feedback and Vents/Discussions consolidated.
    edited November 2012
    So! Many people hemming and hawing... Has beta in 2013 been made official in any capacity or is it all speculation, belly-aching, and hearsay?
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    edited November 2012
    well has any negative rumor about a games state ever not been true?
    edited November 2012
    Sigh........b:sad
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
  • belgaelbelgael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    at the paris game week, at the end of the demo, you had a text asking you to type your e-mail for the beta who will be "early next year"
    edited November 2012
    i really hope they dont serve us a marketing beta with no intention to actually listen to player concerns...but i stated in my "shouldnt we be further down the line" thread that i didnt believe the game was ready and obviously i was right...they dont even seem to have finished the 5x2 base classes or races.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i really hope they dont serve us a marketing beta with no intention to actually listen to player concerns...but i stated in my "shouldnt we be further down the line" thread that i didnt believe the game was ready and obviously i was right...they dont even seem to have finished the 5x2 base classes or races.

I brought this up months ago and got this reply:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=128421&postcount=9
    We intend to have a long, multi-stage beta process that will test many aspects of the game. Cryptic has always valued player input, and PWE has given us the time and resources to execute the beta cycle we've always wanted to do. I should also note that the Foundry will have a similar, but somewhat separate beta cycle.

It's certainly not going to be a last-minute marketing-only beta.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    either way, one cant be true

its either going to be a short marketing beta or the game cannot release within 1 quarter 2013 - how can it be both? closed beta starting january 13, long beta period and release in the first quarter? its not possible...
    edited November 2012
    Just a warning relay:

There are sites (web pages really) out there that are claiming to "give away" beta keys. These are not the reputable MMO News & Community sites. Do not be fooled into their scams and do not download anything from them. The safety of your personal information and/or computer may be put at risk if you do!

Here are the current facts:
    • There are currently no active Giveaways for Beta Keys, at the time of this post.
    • The only active promotions, at the time of this post, are the Lifetime Subscriptions for Champions Online and Star Trek Online, which will grant you a "phased" access to Closed Beta Tests once they begin.
    • Registering for a Perfect World Entertainment account does put you into a pool for a random chance at getting a CBT key, when CBT begins.
    • RaiderZ Founders' Promotion has ended.
    • Torchlight 2 PWE Pre-order has ended.
      • (T2 Pre-order through Steam did not grant CBT keys, it granted a free copy of Torchlight 1).
    • The Neverwinter Spooky Adventure Contest has ended.
    • No, at the time of this post, Closed Beta has not yet begun.
    edited November 2012
    you forgot the foundrys packages for raiderz which should also grant you beta access
    edited November 2012
    you forgot the foundrys packages for raiderz which should also grant you beta access

That promotion ended October 23rd.
    edited November 2012
    and i got it...ooooh yeeeaaaah b:victory
  • tl73tl73 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I know this question gets asked alot. However, has anyone heard about what the time frame might be for Neverwinter to drop? besides closed beta that is. thanks all:eek:
    edited November 2012
    tl73 wrote: »
    I know this question gets asked alot. However, has anyone heard about what the time frame might be for Neverwinter to drop? besides closed beta that is. thanks all:eek:

Which drop? The European swallow coconut drop or African swallow coconut drop?
  • illuminariiilluminarii Member, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Does anyone else read this thread title as the Beta Vent (Ventrilo) Thread? I just picture thousands of people trying to anxiously join a small 50-person vent server in hopes to chat with developers.
This discussion has been closed.