test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Beta Anxiety Thread!

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
This thread will serve as a sticky reminder and vent thread about the upcoming Closed Beta Testing for Neverwinter.

Please be advised:
Posting Unreleased Content is Forbidden! per the Rules.
You may not create posts and/or private messages that contain language, comments, references, links, symbols, terms and/or content that, in any manner whether directly or indirectly, show/display and/or discuss any of the following: (a) unreleased in-game items or equipment; (b) areas that have been unlocked by hacking into client data files; and/or (c) data not available through normal game play. Do not post trademarked and/or copyrighted materials (e.g., articles, videos, photos, audio, etc.) that you do not have permission to reproduce, distribute, display, perform, create derivative works of and/or otherwise use. Posting the entire article, even with the source, constitutes copyright infringement. This is not the place to illegally trade or distribute copyrighted (or those with questionable copyright status) video or audio clips. Posts regarding content which has been released in other world territories prior to being released in PWE's supported locales (North America and Europe) are, however, permitted.

Closed Beta, at the time of this post, Has Not Begun Yet!
Feel free to vent, as long as it is not vulgar or otherwise rule-violating, your anticipations and frustrations for the upcoming Beta Testing Periods.

When Beta Phases have been announced, rest assured, this thread and others will be updated with pertinent information.

So, without further delay...

ICANHASBETA01.jpg

icanhasneverwinter01_small.jpg

Just a warning relay:

There are sites (web pages really) out there that are claiming to "give away" beta keys.
These are not the reputable MMO News & Community sites.
Do not be fooled into their scams and do not download anything from them.
The safety of your personal information and/or computer may be put at risk if you do!

Here are the current facts:
  • There are currently no active Giveaways for Beta Keys, at the time of this post's edit timestamp.
  • The only active promotions, at the time of this post's edit timestamp, are the Lifetime Subscriptions for Champions Online and Star Trek Online, which will grant you a "phased" access to Closed Beta Tests once they begin.
  • Registering for a Perfect World Entertainment account does put you into a pool for a random chance at getting a CBT key, when CBT begins.
  • RaiderZ Founders' Promotion has ended.
  • Torchlight 2 PWE Pre-order has ended.
    • (T2 Pre-order through Steam did not grant CBT keys, it granted a free copy of Torchlight 1).
  • The Neverwinter Spooky Adventure Contest has ended.
  • No, at the time of this post's edit timestamp, Closed Beta has not yet begun.

(this OP post has been edited to reflect the changes and mergers of this and other threads on this topic, the original post is quoted below)
I got this email today:

http://view.email.perfectworld.com/?j=fe5417717d640d757c11&m=fec216717c6d0778&ls=fdf61d757064077a77157874&l=fe911273776c077f73&s=fe1c17747c6306747d1372&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe1e1677776d0d7b711c72&r=0

If anyone has trouble viewing, it says that if you pre-order Torchlight II you get Neverwinter closed beta access.

Just an FYI to anyone interested :)
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2012
    I got this email today:

http://view.email.perfectworld.com/?j=fe5417717d640d757c11&m=fec216717c6d0778&ls=fdf61d757064077a77157874&l=fe911273776c077f73&s=fe1c17747c6306747d1372&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe1e1677776d0d7b711c72&r=0

If anyone has trouble viewing, it says that if you pre-order Torchlight II you get Neverwinter closed beta access.

Just an FYI to anyone interested :)

LoL got the same Email...
    Also, $20 for TorchLight 2 = Instant Pre-Order...
    edited April 2012
    dre256 wrote: »
    LoL got the same Email...
    Also, $20 for TorchLight 2 = Instant Pre-Order...

Same! Done and done!
    edited April 2012
    Steam has a different prepurchase deal, buy TL2 and get TL1 free. Not sure who would be interested in TL2 that doesn't have TL1 at this point though...

While I was already interested in TL2, not sure I want to put down money for access at an "unspecified date." As it reads now, I could very well be playing TL2 before Neverwinter.
    edited April 2012
    I'm getting low on $$$, but failed the resistance check :).
    edited April 2012
    FoxBat_ wrote:
    Steam has a different prepurchase deal, buy TL2 and get TL1 free. Not sure who would be interested in TL2 that doesn't have TL1 at this point though...

While I was already interested in TL2, not sure I want to put down money for access at an "unspecified date." As it reads now, I could very well be playing TL2 before Neverwinter.

I think in a interview video on Ign or www.mmorpg.com, the dev's stated close beta should kick off around summer..
    edited April 2012
    As if I wasn't going to be buying TL2 anyway :mad:

Posted my thoughts concerning this on Andre's new poll
    edited April 2012
    Even if closed shouldn't we have recieved a key?
    edited April 2012
    Nevermind just recieved email letting me know what's up. I like Torchlight way more than Diablo so I'm looking forward to the sequal.
    edited April 2012
    This is troublesome.

I understand the business side of matters, but to offer non D&D crowd and another game's playerbase entirely access to Neverwinter's closed beta for a dime?? All this before ever announcing or putting into motion a closed beta access plan to posters on the official Neverwinter forum... most of who have posted, aka promoted this game since Day One (I'm excluding myself here)??? That's terrible.
    edited April 2012
    I'll have to echo Andrea here that this is indeed troubling. So Cryptic is using Beta access to NW as a sales pitch to promote PW's TL2. This makes my seriously wonder how Cryptic will handle the CS in NW.
    edited April 2012
    Saco123 wrote:
    I'll have to echo Andrea here that this is indeed troubling. So Cryptic is using Beta access to NW as a sales pitch to promote PW's TL2. This makes my seriously wonder how Cryptic will handle the CS in NW.

Cryptic, no. Perfect World, yes. Cryptic has nothing to do with TL2, but PW owns both Cryptic and Runic.
    edited April 2012
    CS? What CS? They can't even hire a full-time forum moderator!
    edited April 2012
    This is troublesome.

I understand the business side of matters, but to offer non D&D crowd and another game's playerbase entirely access to Neverwinter's closed beta for a dime?? All this before ever announcing or putting into motion a closed beta access plan to posters on the official Neverwinter forum... most of who have posted, aka promoted this game since Day One (I'm excluding myself here)??? That's terrible.

Agreed.
    Anyway, closed beta isn't a big deal for me. A beta for me is a troublesome exercise to find defects in product. If I am given access, I would be excited to find defects in a game I 'think' I would grow to love. Other games don't hold much value for me.

But I would have found it less annoying(and considered it) if it was a D&D product or a related D&D product.
    edited April 2012
    Cryptic, no. Perfect World, yes. Cryptic has nothing to do with TL2, but PW owns both Cryptic and Runic.

Exactly. Is there a problem with cross-promoting their games? I think it's a great idea. And they've (well, when they were CrypticAtari) used it before, too. 6 month sub of CO at launch = STO beta access.
    edited April 2012
    I'll assume this is somethign runic wanted. Real bad taste. Is runic the only subcompany of pwe that does p2p stuff? I guess cryptic and runic are quite independent after all...

Concerning beta keys, I'll be surprised if they won't distribute them here and on several news sites. Considering forum activity, I'll be very surprised if getting a key will prove impossible, but then again I've learned to not care that much about cbs. They are basically longish demos for me.
    edited April 2012
    It's a perfectly good move by PWE.

Gamers are being enticed to purchase TL2 by rewarding them with closed beta. Some gamers who are on the fence with TL2 might find enough value for them in the NW beta to make a financial contribution via TL2 purchase. PWE wins. The buyer wins.

Who loses? No one. "Forum goers" don't lose because they are not entitled to closed beta access. There's also nothing special about posting on the message boards. Plenty of future devoted fans of NW are people who think posting on game forums is a waste of time. They will be no less devoted when the game goes live. And many forum goers will be gone from the game after a month.

NWs development need not lose either. The influx of "TL beta rewardees" may simply be in addition to whatever Cryptic needs to closed beta test the game.
    edited April 2012
    nimloh wrote:
    It's a perfectly good move by PWE.

Gamers are being enticed to purchase TL2 by rewarding them with closed beta. Some gamers who are on the fence with TL2 might find enough value for them in the NW beta to make a financial contribution via TL2 purchase. PWE wins. The buyer wins.

Who loses? No one. "Forum goers" don't lose because they are not entitled to closed beta access. There's also nothing special about posting on the message boards. Plenty of future devoted fans of NW are people who think posting on game forums is a waste of time. They will be no less devoted when the game goes live. And many forum goers will be gone from the game after a month.

NWs development need not lose either. The influx of "TL beta rewardees" may simply be in addition to whatever Cryptic needs to closed beta test the game.

Nope thats not true. Its a closed beta key. It should mean game full of bugs. New players will always look for polished games. To get a close beta key is not win - I wouldn't like to be a part of beta of any game I don't already love.

These new players will see a defected product and will spread negative image about the game. This means less player base when it is finally released. F2p is based on attracting a large amount of people - otherwise, with less people its a fail.

At this stage you need people who are devoted but soft on criticism. If this game is not successful, eventually fans will suffer but only until next release. Neither the company(its just one project) nor the normal users.

Why is cryptic biting its own foot? Maybe because they have confidence that their beta is already defect free? - i hope.
    edited April 2012
    Is it REALLY that big of a deal?

The dev's have stated that this will be ONE of many different ways to gain access to the closed beta.

Don't forget - they are a business - if they can garner cash from a promo like this, good for them (and their shareholders!).

I'd rather have a company developing/maintaining a free-to-play MMO that knows how to stay liquid that one that doesn't....
    edited April 2012
    gillrmn wrote:
    Nope thats not true. Its a closed beta key. It should mean game full of bugs. New players will always look for polished games. To get a close beta key is not win - I wouldn't like to be a part of beta of any game I don't already love.

These new players will see a defected product and will spread negative image about the game. This means less player base when it is finally released. F2p is based on attracting a large amount of people - otherwise, with less people its a fail.

At this stage you need people who are devoted but soft on criticism. If this game is not successful, eventually fans will suffer but only until next release. Neither the company(its just one project) nor the normal users.

Why is cryptic biting its own foot? Maybe because they have confidence that their beta is already defect free? - i hope.

You might be right but I suspect not. I don't think most gamers today are that naive about what a closed beta is. Furthermore, and more importantly, if the game in open proves to be a success, I don't think it will matter what anyone said about closed beta. If the game is great then people will know that.
    edited April 2012
    nimloh wrote:
    You might be right but I suspect not. I don't think most gamers today are that naive about what a closed beta is. Furthermore, and more importantly, if the game in open proves to be a success, I don't think it will matter what anyone said about closed beta. If the game is great then people will know that.

Even if cryptic does think its product is defect free, I am quite skeptic.

Irrespective of how test the product is, quality can only be assured after letting people use it. The reason why all the softwares have to release updates. Irrespective of how much money was put in QA section, you always need support and maintenance and it remains most busy after the launch.

You have to understand that new 'gamers' are not especially inclined to this product. They won't have a lot of patience for it (unless people would have already been interested and looking out for this game too irrespective). Thats why I still am not convinced its a good policy decision to get more "conversions". [I want to make more people one of us! :D ]
    edited April 2012
    gillrmn wrote:
    Even if cryptic does think its product is defect free, I am quite skeptic.

Irrespective of how test the product is, quality can only be assured after letting people use it. The reason why all the softwares have to release updates. Irrespective of how much money was put in QA section, you always need support and maintenance and it remains most busy after the launch.

You have to understand that new 'gamers' are not especially inclined to this product. They won't have a lot of patience for it (unless people would have already been interested and looking out for this game too irrespective). Thats why I still am not convinced its a good policy decision to get more "conversions". [I want to make more people one of us! :D ]

That's true. Despite some person who know what a closed beta is they will pass judgement right there to guess how the final product will turn out, seen in in D3 and past Betas..

Also the Torchlight 2 pre-order is just one one many close beta promotions that will be offered, it just the its the first to pop..

PW and Runic sure would like to secure some sales of Torchlight 2 before it goes live, so they're cross promoting NeverWinter (CB) in it, its similar to Blizz promoting the annual pass thingy with guarantee access to Mists Beta.

I for one love Torchlight 1, so this offer was more than enticing...
    edited April 2012
    Pretty excited about Neverwinter. Played Neverwinter Nights for 6+ years and participated a lot in the mods / community. Enjoyed Neverwinter Nights 2 despite it not really being viable to play online. Me and my Neverwinter friends are pretty excited to help test / shape this game, but I don't think any of us are willing to 'pay' for beta access.
    edited April 2012
    I was getting T2 any way, but I'm intrigued by Neverwinter, icing on the proverbial cake!
    edited April 2012
    This is troublesome.

I have to agree with the big man on this one, here we are closing in on half of the year being gone the game is set to launch at years end (Oct-Dec ish) no word of closed beta to the faithful yet here they are making promises of beta to a group of people in a different genre.

Not a wise move; Cryptic has a lot of positive buzz for once over this title...what they don't need is to start behaving like Atari owned Cryptic.

I understand that this was probably all PWI doing, but Cryptic could have soften the blow by making at least a closed beta announcement to those of us that has been here since day one.
    edited April 2012
    They are hoping that those that REALLY want in the beta will bite and pay for the other game. I don't see anything wrong with that, but think about which game is the bait here? NWO beta is being used as the bait for someone to buy TL2, which to me means they really have faith in NWO, perhaps more so than they do TL2....

I do want to play NWO, but truth be told I have entirely no interest in Torchlight 2, even if it means early access into NWO beta. I've committed to a few friends to play D3 and do the whole RMT thing, which I actually got a chance to test last weekend and even though there were a lot of mixed reactions to it I loved it. Just like I'll love my GW2 beta tomorrow and eventually will love NWO!
    edited April 2012
    Will this beta be for those who are US based only?

Don't think I'll be able to pre-order TL2. I really should get a PC for many of the games of now a days. Anywho. I know I had no problems for the SWTOR beta I just hope that Neverwinter will be the same.

I'm in Japan so that's why I'm asking.

Wolfen
    edited April 2012
    I have to agree with the big man on this one, here we are closing in on half of the year being gone the game is set to launch at years end (Oct-Dec ish) no word of closed beta to the faithful yet here they are making promises of beta to a group of people in a different genre.

Not a wise move; Cryptic has a lot of positive buzz for once over this title...what they don't need is to start behaving like Atari owned Cryptic.

I understand that this was probably all PWI doing, but Cryptic could have soften the blow by making at least a closed beta announcement to those of us that has been here since day one.

The Torchlight 2 offer is just one of closed beta offers, more will come. It just so happens they want to help sell TL 2 so they packed in the Closed beta offer with it..
    edited April 2012
    PWE gives A LOT of keys away for free. There were more than 4,000 alpha test keys for RaiderZ a couple months ago and about 8,000 CBT keys for Blacklight.
    edited April 2012
    I am from Poland and i hope closed beta tests will be also for european players :)
    edited April 2012
    Closed beta is way too much like my job to be interesting, I just hope that once it is released there aren't any huge issues.

On another note I think it is a bit weird offering closed beta keys with a game, isn't closed supposed to be for contributors and people that have put time into and care about the game; the people who are actually going to find and report bugs (and don't just want early access to the game)?
This discussion has been closed.