Quick note about continuity

1235»

Comments

• Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    valoreah wrote: »
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Yes obviously though my point that such automation isn't actually that far out of the realm of possible as people think

What would be the point of having any crew at all then? Just automate the ship and send it out to do its thing.
    That's been tried, with the M5 experiment and the Texas-class. I imagine that would leave Command a little gun-shy about launching ships without living oversight.

Plus most of the AI in Star Trek tend to get a bit like Skynet, Lower Decks has whole prison/storage full of evil AI, having an automatic ship is a bad idea, it's like having a Starfleet ship where the entire crew are augments.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11543073-announcing-star-trek-online:-unraveled!

Now the Tholians aren't happy that they're in the wrong timeline, you know this arc could be fix continuiy issues,

Me: points at the Anomaly and proceeds to slap Duct Tape on it, there it's fixed, "just because I'm a Temporal Agent, doesn't mean that I can't be lazy about it."
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited May 2023
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11543073-announcing-star-trek-online:-unraveled!

Now the Tholians aren't happy that they're in the wrong timeline, you know this arc could be fix continuiy issues,

Me: points at the Anomaly and proceeds to slap Duct Tape on it, there it's fixed, "just because I'm a Temporal Agent, doesn't mean that I can't be lazy about it."

nothing to fix. STO has always been it's own continuity, and as soon as you had stuff like the Kelvin Universe ships in game (and FYI I love the JJ Abrams films) - it should have been obvious STO was its own continuity/alternate Star Trek Universe. :)

And given they have embraced their 1701-F as the Flagship (which launched in 2409 in the STO Universe and 2285 in the Prime Universe), it should be obvious that no, they aren't going tom rewrite/redo all the content they have with the likes of Captain Geordi LaForege of the Starship USS Challenger - who ISN'T Commodore Geordi LaForge in charge of the Starfleet Ship museum.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Which brings up another point...if positronic brains are so much more capable than Starfleet computers...why aren't they using positronic-based computers? If you can have that level of processing power in something the size of a human brain, that sure seems way more efficient than having...however big a typical starship computer is taking up all that space.​​

The Feds HAVE to have something like that already. How else could 6 people competently and effectively run a Starship originally designed to need a crew of 1000+? ;)
    I think GCS have crew of only about 700 or so in Beta content (nothing on crew size in alpha only that there's around 1000 people on board typically including families and other civilians not part of the crew). Also even in modern days warships (which the GCS follows design wise) have way more crew then it's absolutely needed to run it for damage control and to allow shifts.

In addition it's only about 175-250 crew members needed to run the ship as GCS could be ran with 4 shifts and I'm assuming 0 overlap between shifts here even with 50% overlap between shifts we're talking about 350 to 500 crew members.
    But it was still being run by six people, all except the android being past their prime (androids don't have a prime, after all). This implies some serious automation going on.

Yes obviously though my point that such automation isn't actually that far out of the realm of possible as people think

not at all. a Spruance class destroyer typically had 30-40 people on watch at any given time, BUT a lot of that was superfluous.
    all you really needed was 2-3 people in central control to monitor the plant and 2 guys on the bridge to steer and control the engines.
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Starfleet apparently managed to avoid the M-5 issues in the Kelvin Timeline, and without those issues coloring its perception of automation as a result, they were able to build an entire warship that could be effectively manned by ONE actual crewmember.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User

The only way to fix continuity issues without turning it into an even bigger mess is to make more wiggle room. DC comics (the poster child for the folly of "if it ain't broke do fix it") found that out the hard way when they decided to "fix" their multiverse into a universe with Crisis on Infinite Earths and have been having reboot after reboot after reboot trying to recover from everything their "fix" broke.

Hopefully what those vortexes are all about is some way of differentiating the STO timeline from the others but still allow movement between them. One good possibility would be that they are tunnels to other timelines that have slipped out of sync so that their 'present' corresponds to a different era as far as the STO 'present' is concerned but is not actually those eras and so can be very different without continuity problems.

That will be more important as time goes on since very soon the only live Trek will be SNW unless the Star Trek Legacy series gets greenlit, and SNW is set in pre-jump DSC era so more and more new players will be looking to play content from that.

One confusing thing though is the mission to stabilize the Na’kuhl sun. The time travel mechanics shown in Voyager would make that impossible because it would have incredible levels of paradox charge built up, making it essentially what Doctor Who calls "a fixed point in time" and the temporal agents imbedded in all the factions would be able to tell them that messing with it would be futile.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

The only way to fix continuity issues without turning it into an even bigger mess is to make more wiggle room. DC comics (the poster child for the folly of "if it ain't broke do fix it") found that out the hard way when they decided to "fix" their multiverse into a universe with Crisis on Infinite Earths and have been having reboot after reboot after reboot trying to recover from everything their "fix" broke.

Hopefully what those vortexes are all about is some way of differentiating the STO timeline from the others but still allow movement between them. One good possibility would be that they are tunnels to other timelines that have slipped out of sync so that their 'present' corresponds to a different era as far as the STO 'present' is concerned but is not actually those eras and so can be very different without continuity problems.

That will be more important as time goes on since very soon the only live Trek will be SNW unless the Star Trek Legacy series gets greenlit, and SNW is set in pre-jump DSC era so more and more new players will be looking to play content from that.

One confusing thing though is the mission to stabilize the Na’kuhl sun. The time travel mechanics shown in Voyager would make that impossible because it would have incredible levels of paradox charge built up, making it essentially what Doctor Who calls "a fixed point in time" and the temporal agents imbedded in all the factions would be able to tell them that messing with it would be futile.

The STO timeline is the one with Temporal Agent Spock,

24ca86e7dfe4fb7ab3d68b3c5efb9aa7.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,022 Community Moderator

Its possible that that is the reason why the Tholians are getting involved. And because of them we discover the rifts, which ends up distracting us from the original mission.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited May 2023
    I wasn't expecting them to make a Tholian multiversal destabilization arc. This gives me hope Cryptic can still re-rectify the timeline into canon like I was hoping! They worked so hard over the years to keep the game canon-fitting. I'd hate to see that effort go to waste now.
    But it still hurts having their Ent-F story written out like that, even if I love what they did with the G.
  • Options
    v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2023
    There is a plausible way to reconcile this in one single episode mission, and i have a feeling the upcoming episode on May 9th is setting the ground work for it.

Have Daniels, or someone from those temporal guys from Enterprise appear in a meeting after they observe events from Butterfly and other time travel incidents in STO's storyline, maybe even have them meet up with their "other selfs" from the prime timeline, then come to the conclusion that the two timelines split previous to 2409 for "reasons and stuff".

The end of the mission episode can keep the door open in a very simple way, the player character is a "liason" between the STO timeline and the Prime/Other timeline. This way ships from future (or past) Prime Trek can leak into STO, and it leaves the door open for ships from STO to appear in anything CBS has planned for Star Trek's TV series future.

Having an "Open Door" between the timelines could also mean that show stars from Prime can appear in STO's timeline while in their character from Prime, heck, they could even meet up with their STO timeline self, it would mean double voicework for them, but it would be fun if anything.

From a story standpoint, there is a lot that can be done with this whilst keeping STO and Prime Trek's timelines unique and seperate. The major differences in the story arcs seen in Picard can be written off as a divergence which happened in small increments previous to 2409 and built up through Butterfly and other episodes and ended with the "same" federation (mostly) but with a different background.

It would also reconcile why there are so many dang alien ships parked next to earth spacedock, it could also reconcile why theres no fleet museum...heck, it can essentially varnish over all sorts of differences. Recognise that there is a difference, but use that difference to the games advantage by letting the players know that they are in a different timeline afterall, but this timeline still has access (and contacts) with the "Prime" timeline.

Heck, if Cryptic want a story writer, email me :D
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • Options
    v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    To be honest, I do not see the need for the game to try and reconcile with whatever "official" prime canon is. Just let STO be its own thing and tell its own story like every other game. Trying to weave prime canon into the game is a hassle that is not worth it in my opinion.

So what about the players who come into the game thinking its actual "Star Trek" and within 2 hours (or less) they realise it isnt? Might not be worth it in your opinion, but from the standpoint of marketing, letting new players know that this isnt the "canon" trek they know means that the player who is entering the game knows that things will be different.

Star Trek Online is not "Like every other game" that's an offhand comment used to dismiss arguments in your favour with little to no thought about the fact that THIS game is built on a show with more than 60 years of history to it. In all franchises, only Star Wars and its games are in the same position as Star Trek and the SW games have managed to skirt around it a lot better than this game has.
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • Options
    v1ctor1st wrote: »
    To be honest, I do not see the need for the game to try and reconcile with whatever "official" prime canon is. Just let STO be its own thing and tell its own story like every other game. Trying to weave prime canon into the game is a hassle that is not worth it in my opinion.

So what about the players who come into the game thinking its actual "Star Trek" and within 2 hours (or less) they realise it isnt? Might not be worth it in your opinion, but from the standpoint of marketing, letting new players know that this isnt the "canon" trek they know means that the player who is entering the game knows that things will be different.

Star Trek Online is not "Like every other game" that's an offhand comment used to dismiss arguments in your favour with little to no thought about the fact that THIS game is built on a show with more than 60 years of history to it. In all franchises, only Star Wars and its games are in the same position as Star Trek and the SW games have managed to skirt around it a lot better than this game has.

Yeah Star Wars the Old Republic did it by setting in the far past, so none of it interferes with the movies and shows,

I'm both a Star Trek and a Star Wars fan and I personally consider the Force Unleashed games to be more canonical to Star Wars than episodes 7,8 and 9 due to how poorly written those movies were, even the characters were poorly written, Finn's entire character arc went nowhere, he didn't date Rey and he didn't become a Jedi, they killed Han Solo for no apparent reason, Snoke wasn't a threat, look at how they massacred my boy, Luke Skywalker, Somehow... Palpatine returns, Rey commits Identity Theft, I could go on and on but you get the point, sorry for my SW rant,

Jedi Fallen Order and Jedi Survior were also smart about it

1313 would've been a great game,
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    No game as long as there has been Star Trek games has been alpha canon, Star Trek Online is a game therefore it's at best Beta canon (aka Extended Universe material). Anyone who truly cares about it would know this.
  • Options
    No game as long as there has been Star Trek games has been alpha canon, Star Trek Online is a game therefore it's at best Beta canon (aka Extended Universe material). Anyone who truly cares about it would know this.

I actually considered it to be soft-canon you know like somewhere inbetween Alpha and Beta, like Schrodinger's Cat, none of the Shows took place in the 25th century so the events it STO could've happened in Canon, until the day Picard proved otherwise,

Also according to the Post Credit scene in PIC Season 3, Q is technically not dead so we could have both John De-Lancie (MAIN Q) and Q Jr. (STO's Q) In the game together one day.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    Also according to the Post Credit scene in PIC Season 3, Q is technically not dead so we could have both John De-Lancie (MAIN Q) and Q Jr. (STO's Q) In the game together one day.
    Oh, Q's dead. It's not his fault that we insist on viewing time as a linear progression from cause to effect when really it's just a big tangled ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey... stuff.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Despite their best efforts, STO is never going to be official canon, and I personally believe it should not try to and thereby stifle their storytelling. Let Cryptic be creative and do their own thing and tell their own story. They have done a wonderful job of it so far. The game has been around for 13 years and is still going. Cryptic is doing something right.

This. There is no reason to try and conform to Alpha Canon as the franchise pushes into the same timeframe as STO. Frankly the fact that elements of STO are being adopted into Alpha Canon is a great honor for a game. So let them continue to develop on their own, and let them have an impact on each other, but don't hobble STO's story by making the Devs wait for Alpha Canon to update.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    edited May 2023
    I actually considered it to be soft-canon you know like somewhere inbetween Alpha and Beta, like Schrodinger's Cat, none of the Shows took place in the 25th century so the events it STO could've happened in Canon, until the day Picard proved otherwise,

That pretty much describes what Paramount did with the FASA Star Trek game, it was considered almost even with TAS (which itself, barring a few brief tantrums Roddenberry had, was considered "lesser canon" which in this case meant TAS was canon exept for points where it conflicted with something from live-action-canon) canon-wise. Absolutely everything FASA made the game had to go into Paramount for scrutiny and approval before they could publish it, but FASA had its own legal and financial problems after a while that Paramount didn't want to have any association with so when it came time to renew the license Paramount pulled it instead.

The FASA license was a very odd case that if it was put to the test may not have been strictly legal, and I have not heard of STO having any special agreement with CBS like that, and that is a good thing I think because otherwise STO would have probably had far less freedom in doing things than it has had so far.
  • Options

Yeah Star Wars the Old Republic did it by setting in the far past, so none of it interferes with the movies and shows,
    Yeah, about that: Disney+ has new STAR WARS streaming series set in the era of SWOToR, so its day of reckoning is approaching (After the WGA Strike and any looming Hollywood strikes are finally settled of course. Directors Guild and SAG/AFTRA contracts expire in June.)

PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Yea, so put those older Klingon war quests back.....to tribble with that Discovery did, for example.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    Yea, so put those older Klingon war quests back.....to tribble with that Discovery did, for example.

I agree, the Klingon War missions deserve a comeback, the 23rd century seems to have at least 3 types of Klingons, Ridgeless (TOS), Ugly (Discovery), Regular (SNW/TNG), would argue that Chang is a 4th type of Klingon that's somewhere inbetween TOS and SNW/TNG.
  • Options

Yeah, about that: Disney+ has new STAR WARS streaming series set in the era of SWOToR, so its day of reckoning is approaching (After the WGA Strike and any looming Hollywood strikes are finally settled of course. Directors Guild and SAG/AFTRA contracts expire in June.)

To be fair, while I'm not sure about Disney but Lucasfilm was pretty good not have new material totally invalidate older material but then SW doesn't have alternative timelines (other then the infinities and now the Legends)
  • Options

To be fair, while I'm not sure about Disney but Lucasfilm was pretty good not have new material totally invalidate older material but then SW doesn't have alternative timelines (other then the infinities and now the Legends)

And the 'alternate timelines' came about as a result of Disney now being an active arbiter of what is and isn't canon in SW (Whereas George Lucas position was "It's ALL canon...even the contradictory stuff...")
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Star Wars doesn't have alternate timelines because it doesn't have time travel to speak of - there are only a few instances of time travel from Legends that I'm personally aware of - something involving the Droid Duo, the Force technique of Flow Walking (which only lets you view past events, not alter them) and a certain black hole near Endor (I think - either that or it was one somewhere in Wild Space) that routinely spits ships out of it at random points in future times.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

And the 'alternate timelines' came about as a result of Disney now being an active arbiter of what is and isn't canon in SW (Whereas George Lucas position was "It's ALL canon...even the contradictory stuff...")
    Back in Legends time, there was tiered canon, Movies were the absolute "truth", EU was in-universe retellings so any minor contradictions can be excused as in-universe mistake. Infinities were always "what if"s that were never canon (and the infinities label pre-dates Disney buying Lucasfilm).
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

That pretty much describes what Paramount did with the FASA Star Trek game, it was considered almost even with TAS (which itself, barring a few brief tantrums Roddenberry had, was considered "lesser canon" which in this case meant TAS was canon exept for points where it conflicted with something from live-action-canon) canon-wise. Absolutely everything FASA made the game had to go into Paramount for scrutiny and approval before they could publish it, but FASA had its own legal and financial problems after a while that Paramount didn't want to have any association with so when it came time to renew the license Paramount pulled it instead.

The FASA license was a very odd case that if it was put to the test may not have been strictly legal, and I have not heard of STO having any special agreement with CBS like that, and that is a good thing I think because otherwise STO would have probably had far less freedom in doing things than it has had so far.

Love FASA stuffs. :)
    I would have loved THIS to be the Klingon War in Discovery, or a series itself. Cause the stuff FASA put out for this I liked, far more than anything Disco or SNW gave us.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0ftNI-nBcQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9B9BLKCmlE
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    Star Wars doesn't have alternate timelines because it doesn't have time travel to speak of - there are only a few instances of time travel from Legends that I'm personally aware of - something involving the Droid Duo, the Force technique of Flow Walking (which only lets you view past events, not alter them) and a certain black hole near Endor (I think - either that or it was one somewhere in Wild Space) that routinely spits ships out of it at random points in future times.​​

Well that was before they introduced this "World Between Worlds" or whatever its called that Ezra used to save Ahsoka from her duel with Vader on Lothal. However it seems to be only accessable by Force Users and probably won't be a common thing.
This discussion has been closed.