What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is a Dev in a players' fleet?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Unless he posts here and confirms that is indeed him, then this is just a big fat huge guess on the OP's part. Disregard, nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    DeWitt_LSF wrote:
    Unless he posts here and confirms that is indeed him, then this is just a big fat huge guess on the OP's part. Disregard, nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

in a thread diamonds started regarding profiles, he states this is his profile and offers a link.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    DeWitt_LSF wrote:

Not a guess, Diamonds posted in the thread announcing the player sheets on the main website being active, and regardless, whether it was him or not it is no one else's business how anyone decides to spend their free time. Subscribing to the game does not give any of us the right to determine what other people do.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Meh, that's what happens when you no longer live on the STO forums. Better things to do, I only come back now every several days to see if anything good is happening to the game. Nothing so far, though I did just play for a few hours for the first time in many weeks.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Worst thread ever.

There are so many reasons a Dev would want to be in a fleet. Real life friends. The opportunity to get a snapshot view of how Fleets are approaching the game without BS like this thread getting in the way. The chance to spread a little good will in game by enhancing Dev/Player relationship in a more personal, imitimate manner as opposed to having to sort through 100 pages of nerd-rage TRIBBLE that folk generate hourly.

No harm, no foul. Play ball.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Personally I wouldn't want to exploit anything, cheat in any way or be privy to any information that was not on the table for all.

I would hope that all dev's think similarly, and hold information as private and would never exploit it. The fact that any fleet has any dev in it is, to me, an indication that that particular fleet is more in check than most. Now would you like a dev in your fleet OP?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    Most devs actually have less access than a normal GM. Unless they have a reason to have a reason to need elevated permissions (debugging something in the live environment perhaps), they are just normal players. We run local test shards when we need to run silly dev commands for testing.

Logical.

And FFS, people. This isn't EVE where a little dev nudge can blow system sovereignty or hand multibillion-ISK production monopolies to an alliance. The only meaningful thing I can think of is free merits for respecs, and as something linked to C-Store sales I'm sure that's rather tightly tracked.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I was just surfing through the list and found another dev's character. Here is Daniel Stahl:
    http://www.startrekonline.com/character_profiles/44/view
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Wow. These devs sure fail at powerleveling! :D
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This isn't Eve

I have no issues with a Dev been in a fleet at all, they have every right to play like everyone else after all. As long as they don't use their powers to give a fleet an unfair advantage (which can't really happen here as this isn't Eve with player controlled markets and area's). I can see some people are saying they shouldn't do it on their Dev accounts, well to be honest, define a Dev account, surely a Dev account is any account played by a Dev, because as soon as a player finds out a Dev is on that account, people will assume the account has Dev powers on it, whether its true or not.

I really think naming and shaming was not required, if anything I'd say it does more harm to the game than good, surely the community wants the developers to be close to the community? If we put down rules saying they ain't allowed to be in fleets or play alongside players then it just ostracize's them from the community, which is not a positive thing to do.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Wow. These devs sure fail at powerleveling! :D
    :) Well hopefully it shows they have their hands full doing other stuff.
    :rolleyes: Or maybe they don't want to be RA5. Hmmmmm
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This thread makes no sense. There is no concrete advantage a dev could give to a fleet, even making himself known.

He has no tools to make changes. His "inside" information is no better than those of us who use the various Wiki pages to get help with quests, etc.

His presence doesn't help in PvP, in fact it may hurt if you think about it, what Klingon wouldn't want to take down a fleet with a Dev in it for "Honor" :)

In EQ GM's, Guides and Devs all played, but weren't allowed to play on the server they did CS on. However, this game only has one server so that's out of the question. In EQ a GM was caught helping his guild out after a raid went wrong, he was fired and banned permanently from playing the game. I'm sure Cryptic has similar policies.

I don't see how this topic proves anything other than the fact that people are suspicious by nature. ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    oh nos a dev actually plays the game he is developing.

The Horror, the absolute horror!

frankly I am glad he is in a player fleet, means he gets to see the things that annoy the rest of us about the game first hand and maybe will do something about. I mean whats he gonna do in PvP, Insta kill people? be a little obvious, don't you think, if your team starts spontaneously exploding or not doing any damage to the other team?

I know why people got their knickers in a twist over it, its just in case somewhere down the line we get WoW style raids and he will knows all teh secritz ohs noz! someone might get some lines of code representing a new beam array a week before anyone else, the universe will then implode and take STO with them. That and a ridiculous amount of the "PVP 4 LIFE!" crowd love to complain about anything that they can that might give them a good excuse for being less than brilliant in PvP.

"I DIED! ZOMG must be a Dev Conspiracy!"
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm sorry but I don't see any problems with this at all.

A dev playing the game is a good thing. The fact that he is in a fleet means he is experiencing fleet playability for himself, again a good thing.

The devs have earned the right to play the game that they developed. And I for one would encourage them to do so.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Err where have I said the devs shouldn't play the game?

This dev posted his profile so I haven't revealed this, I was saying why I think it's a bad idea for a dev to use their account in this way.

To the guy who said we don't know if it's a dev account read the thread please.

Many people are saying ok as long as... Well if he doesn't do his personal gaming on the dev account with potential privileges then there is no risk of a "as long as".

Why is it such a big deal for devs on dev accounts not to be with a players' fleet when they are working?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Personally I think A Dev should make all reasonable attempts to avoid disclosing that they are in fact a Dev. That said sh...TRIBBLE happens and one way or the other its known now. Big deal. There are plenty of checks in place to avoid cheating drama...unlike Band of Brothers and others in a different mmo. (ppl know which)

Let them play and enjoy the game as we do....or experience endless frustrations as we do at times.

No harm in it at all.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ataxia wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I don't see any problems with this at all.

A dev playing the game is a good thing. The fact that he is in a fleet means he is experiencing fleet playability for himself, again a good thing.

The devs have earned the right to play the game that they developed. And I for one would encourage them to do so.

QFTen10ten
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I heard all the devs moved to Synergy and thats how they became soo AWESOME!!! And constantly POWN every single instance and other player they come across....

The devs saw that fleet and knew "Hey if ya cant beat em join em" and here we are a whole fleet of devs and UBER l33t german hardcore gamers combining there might in the internetz world to CONQUER all that is STO. So we got bigger problems to worry about here people, this fleet is taking over the freakin virtual world, yeah first its sto but soon theyll be everywhere..... and with the devs helping them they'll soon be unstoppable.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Galdere wrote: »
    Why is it such a big deal for devs on dev accounts not to be with a players' fleet when they are working?

No - the question is why is it such a big deal if they do hook up with Fleets on their dev accounts?

The answer? It isnt.

Seriously.

Solar-storm in a tea cup.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I thought the Dev's were entitled to enjoy this game as much as we do, if they want to join a fleet let them, it is not like they are hurting anyone really are they?

^^What he said.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I say very well done to him for doing it. Seeing it from a players perspective will only help identify issues faster.

Are worried about him "cheating" using his GM powers to bypass stuff? Or is it the endorsement value that you feel your own fleet is lacking but not having one? Either way I see no problems to be fair because I see no GM doing anything "unlawful" for the sake of game progression or loot. After all they may just be enjoying the game same as you. And feel free to experience it in the same way :)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Err where have I said the devs shouldn't play the game?

This dev posted his profile so I haven't revealed this, I was saying why I think it's a bad idea for a dev to use their account in this way.

To the guy who said we don't know if it's a dev account read the thread please.

Many people are saying ok as long as... Well if he doesn't do his personal gaming on the dev account with potential privileges then there is no risk of a "as long as".

What privileges might this Dev give to other players in his fleet? Does he have access to free creds and weapons? A virtual Matrix locker of gear for his fleet? I'm honestly asking because I have no idea. :eek:

Coderanger stated earlier that "most" devs have less access than most GM's other than bug testing they do privately.

I welcome seeing devs in game to befriend or to kill. It lets me know the ones that play enjoy what they've made.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    No - the question is why is it such a big deal if they do hook up with Fleets on their dev accounts?

The answer? It isnt.

Seriously.

Solar-storm in a tea cup.

Well there are several reasons why I and others have said there is\might be.

I can't see any reasons why they shouldn't do what is common sense in other MMOs and in many other things in life.

When everyone has stopped pretending this will stop them playing (if you look you will see they are all low ranks anyway) or even joining a fleet if they want to, then maybe you can actually go over the things I've pointed out.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I can't see any reasons why they shouldn't do what is common sense in other MMOs and in many other things in life.

When everyone has stopped pretending this will stop them playing (if you look you will see they are all low ranks anyway) or even joining a fleet if they want to, then maybe you can actually go over the things I've pointed out.

People are innocent until proven guilty. Until he does something wrong you cant punish him for that. Preemptive strikes work in space battles not on forums.

Im level 45, an officer in my fleet and I still agree with what 95% of people in this thread are telling ya. No big deal!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    GlobalTaxi wrote: »
    What privileges might this Dev give to other players in his fleet? Does he have access to free creds and weapons? A virtual Matrix locker of gear for his fleet? I'm honestly asking because I have no idea. :eek:

Coderanger stated earlier that "most" devs have less access than most GM's other than bug testing they do privately.

I welcome seeing devs in game to befriend or to kill. It lets me know the ones that play enjoy what they've made.

Good question. But it is not just those possibilities.

Coderanger was ambiguous with what he said. "most" devs have "less access than a GM" They only elevate permissions if they have a reason to.

I'll say again, I think this guy is totally innocent and that is not what I have been on about, but people have messaged me saying that this, coderangers comment, is exactly what they said on the EVE forums before their scandal. And before people jump to reply that I'm saying this could be like that, im not, im saying there is a principle at stake here.

It would be great to see devs in the game. Where are the community events? Too bust I guess.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ubung wrote: »
    People are innocent until proven guilty. Until he does something wrong you cant punish him for that. Preemptive strikes work in space battles not on forums.

There are rules for reasons. The fact they aren't following a common one is an issue to me. Maybe not to others, which is fair enough.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    There are rules for reasons. The fact they aren't following a common one is an issue to me. Maybe not to others, which is fair enough.

There is no rule in place. There has been no infraction to warrant an increase in the current rules. These are facts. Cryptic trusts their staff and until they prove to me otherwise I trust them too.

IF the big scandal erupts and they are found to be misusing their dev accounts then I will throw up arms and join nyour cause. Until then its fine.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    well we already no not a single dev has ever played kdf, thats obnoxiously obvious.

as far as a dev joining a fleet i see no advantages for the fleet, dev may get pestered for upcoming changes info that anyone that logs on to tribble can find anyway.

as far as fed vs fed pvp, worst idea ever, they could have rolled klingons if they wanted instant que times back in the era of k vs f.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    cos they are people too?....
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Good question. But it is not just those possibilities.

Coderanger was ambiguous with what he said. "most" devs have "less access than a GM" They only elevate permissions if they have a reason to.

I'll say again, I think this guy is totally innocent and that is not what I have been on about, but people have messaged me saying that this, coderangers comment, is exactly what they said on the EVE forums before their scandal. And before people jump to reply that I'm saying this could be like that, im not, im saying there is a principle at stake here.

It would be great to see devs in the game. Where are the community events? Too bust I guess.

You are grasping at straws now, circumstantial evidence in one mmo does not make for a duplicate scenario in another mmo because certain circumstances are the same.

Really mate there is nothing in this.

/drop it.