What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is a Dev in a players' fleet?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Diamonds is in Omega Fleet.

http://www.startrekonline.com/character_profiles/88741/view

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8454/omega2s.jpg

As I said in the character profiles thread...

Isn't that inappropriate?

The EVE\BoB thing comes to mind.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    And.... He's only got one character and, of course, it's Starfleet. Anybody surprised? I'd love to know how many devs actually PLAY KDF. I bet not many.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That is his personal character, not a character he uses to test builds or anything at the studio. He plays it in his free time. That's my guess anyways. I have no problem with it.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    OpenSorce wrote: »
    And.... He's only got one character and, of course, it's Starfleet. Anybody surprised? I'd love to know how many devs actually PLAY KDF. I bet not many.

Jack Emmert claims to be a huge Klingon fan, so it wouldn't surprise me if he has a Klg character.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'd love to know how many devs actually PLAY KDF. I bet not many.

And I'd love to know how many players actually play KDF...
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Jack 'Jackalope' Emmert plays Klingon.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That is his personal character, not a character he uses to test builds or anything at the studio. He plays it in his free time. That's my guess anyways. I have no problem with it.

It's on his dev account.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Galdere wrote: »
    Isn't that inappropriate?

The EVE\BoB thing comes to mind.
    How could it be inappropriate? It's not like the developer could give their fleet any real advantage. Fleets in STO are just a group. They don't hold space or engage in interstellar wars.

If you're thinking along the lines of a dev abusing their dev abilities to give items to other players etc. then whether they're a member of a fleet or not is irrelevant. Lets' be honest - any developer who abuses their powers gets discovered sooner or later.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Askarr wrote:
    How could it be inappropriate? It's not like the developer could give their fleet any real advantage. Fleets in STO are just a group. They don't hold space or engage in interstellar wars.

If you're thinking along the lines of a dev abusing their dev abilities to give items to other players etc. then firstly they'd need a dev account rather than a player account (i.e. any game system worth its salt separates the two) and secondly, whether they're a member of a fleet or not is irrelevant.

We already have fed vs fed pvp. Fleet vs Fleet could mean more soon.

It's also a matter of insider info and prestige.

And as for the potential of anything else, I say again, this is on his dev account.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's on his dev account.

How would you know? The page doesn't show people's @handles. Besides, if it was his dev account, it would probably have a number under 100, as it would have been made long before the game was released. My guess is he made it sometime shortly after launch, after he got off work.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    How would you know? The page doesn't show people's @handles. Besides, if it was his dev account, it would probably have a number under 100, as it would have been made long before the game was released. My guess is he made it sometime shortly after launch, after he got off work.

I know because he said that if you use:

http://www.startrekonline.com/character_profiles/user_characters/<handle&gt;

You can view it. I wouldn't claim it if I hadn't checked it out properly.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Most devs actually have less access than a normal GM. Unless they have a reason to have a reason to need elevated permissions (debugging something in the live environment perhaps), they are just normal players. We run local test shards when we need to run silly dev commands for testing.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Could he be in the "Omega Fleet" (NPC Fleet) in the Borg Sector maybe?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    Most devs actually have less access than a normal GM. Unless they have a reason to have a reason to need elevated permissions (debugging something in the live environment perhaps), they are just normal players. We run local test shards when we need to run silly dev commands for testing.

What about the other points I made please coderanger?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cannman wrote: »
    Could he be in the "Omega Fleet" (NPC Fleet) in the Borg Sector maybe?

I posted the proof from the omega fleet website in the OP.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    We already have fed vs fed pvp. Fleet vs Fleet could mean more soon.

It's also a matter of insider info and prestige.
    Again, to what advantage? Lets' go hypothetical and allege that a developer might help their fleet in ways they should not. What could this come down to?

As far as I can see, you might all get purple items. Well frankly items have never determined a PvP engagement, and I think someone would notice.

Insider info? Again, not much that is valuable. Ooh they know Pakleds are coming out on May 2nd? They can.... wait with the rest of us for it to come out. Put simply, right now STO is so bland, instanced, non-persistent, and meaningless that there is zero useful future info a dev could give that isn't just 'ooh new content to whine/rage/get excited over'. It's not like you could usefully game the Exchange over stuff they might say.

I suppose they could let slip details about how ships or powers handle that might yield an advantage, but I doubt it really because almost every aspect of the maths that currently underpins the game has already been deconstructed and analysed out there on forums and community websites.

I could agree that a dev account in a player fleet is perhaps pushing the bounds and it would be better if developers kept dev and player accounts separate (they are entitled to play the game too!), but right now, nothing really to worry about in my view.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    And what, pray tell, would they do with "insider info"? It's not like there's anything worth getting compeditive over. Frankly, I'm glad to see that the devs enjoy this game enough to play it when they're not at work. I couldn't care less how they chose to play it.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm not saying he would he even do anything wrong, it's just the principle.

Be anonymous at least.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Be anonymous at least.
    I'm not disagreeing but I just wanted to point out that the devs can't win here really.

If they're visible, there's potential allegations of cheating/insider info.
    If they're anonymous, there's potential allegations of 'do the devs even play this game?' (a very very popular cry over in EVE).

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Right now, I'd go with option A purely because allegations of cheating etc. are so easy to refute in a game like STO (unlike the whole BoB scandal).
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I thought the Dev's were entitled to enjoy this game as much as we do, if they want to join a fleet let them, it is not like they are hurting anyone really are they?

or are you just jealous they you don't have a Dev in your fleet?

At the end of the day i don't see anything wrong with it, i mean why should I let it bother me to the point of trying to name and shame them? it is not right or proper and it really sounds like sour grapes to me.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Askarr wrote:
    I'm not disagreeing but I just wanted to point out that the devs can't win here really.

If they're visible, there's potential allegations of cheating/insider info.
    If they're anonymous, there's potential allegations of 'do the devs even play this game?' (a very very popular cry over in EVE).

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Right now, I'd go with option A purely because allegations of cheating etc. are so easy to refute in a game like STO (unlike the whole BoB scandal).

They can win. Diamonds can do like all the other devs. Don't join a players' fleet on your dev account. That is for community events or solo. Make a regular account otherwise.

Devs shouldn't be seen to be taking the side of a fleet imo. Diamonds has just advertised that he does. I'm sure he means no harm, but I think this should have been established already, to remain impartial when on official duty.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I thought the Dev's were entitled to enjoy this game as much as we do, if they want to join a fleet let them, it is not like they are hurting anyone really are they?

or are you just jealous they you don't have a Dev in your fleet?

At the end of the day i don't see anything wrong with it, i mean why should I let it bother me to the point of trying to name and shame them? it is not right or proper and it really sounds like sour grapes to me.

I'm not in a fleet so you're wrong about that. Well I am, but only for the bank slot.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think there is nothing wrong with what the dev is doing. And I disagree with the OP naming and shaming for no valid purpose.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I've got no problem with it so long as he doesn't use his position at Cryptic to give his fleet an unfair advantage like what happened with BoB and EVE. But considering you can't capture space in STO and there isn't even a PvP ladder, I don't know what he could really do to give them an unfair advantage, other than giving everyone purples (Which of course would be wrong if that happened).

Not saying anything nefarious is happening mind you, just that so long as it's just a guy enjoying the game as all the rest of us players do without pulling any company strings for an advantage it's all fine by me. Besides, we need our devs to play the game, one of the problems with EVE was alot of Devs stopped playing entirely and would go about making theoretical changes to the game without the first hand insight of how it would effect things.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think there is nothing wrong with what the dev is doing. And I disagree with the OP naming and shaming for no valid purpose.

He showed everyone. I have said several valid reasons. I'm not having a go at him as an individual, I'm saying why don't they have the general rule. There are precedents.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ZATZAi wrote: »
    I've got no problem with it so long as he doesn't use his position at Cryptic to give his fleet an unfair advantage like what happened with BoB and EVE. But considering you can't capture space in STO and there isn't even a PvP ladder, I don't know what he could really do to give them an unfair advantage, other than giving everyone purples.

What he says !
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ZATZAi wrote: »
    I've got no problem with it so long as he doesn't use his position at Cryptic to give his fleet an unfair advantage like what happened with BoB and EVE. But considering you can't capture space in STO and there isn't even a PvP ladder, I don't know what he could really do to give them an unfair advantage, other than giving everyone purples (Which of course would be wrong if that happened).

Not saying anything nefarious is happening mind you, just that so long as it's just a guy enjoying the game as all the rest of us players do without pulling any company strings for an advantage it's all fine by me. Besides, we need our devs to play the game, one of the problems with EVE was alot of Devs stopped playing entirely and would go about making theoretical changes to the game without the first hand insight of how it would effect things.

I agree, I don't see anything wrong with it.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    dev guys!

It's for your own interest - create another account and play with it. Don't tell more than 3 ppl who you are (if you realy can't avoid it), or you will get someday into trouble.
    Don't let your friedns brag about it, t hat a dev is in their fleet
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I cannot believe the level some people go to just to find something to complain about. Yes, paying a monthly subscription and buying the game grants you a level of "entitlement" but not to the extent that you have the right to determine how and where a developer, or anyone else for that matter, spends their free time. These people have spent time and effort to bring this game to us, and continue to work to bring us more, and on top of that the fact that they themselves prefer to spend their free time playing alongside the rest of us, in my opinion is a great thing and a testament to the game itself.

Who wants to be served a meal from a chef who wouldn't eat the food he cooks? They're people too, and can relax however they see fit without having to justify themselves to the likes of any of us. Shame on anyone else who thinks they have the right to tell anyone else what to do for recreation. You don't. If it truly bothers you that much, the great thing about free will is you have the choice to go somewhere else. Go enjoy what you enjoy, and let others enjoy what they enjoy.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    They can win. Diamonds can do like all the other devs. Don't join a players' fleet on your dev account. That is for community events or solo. Make a regular account otherwise.

Devs shouldn't be seen to be taking the side of a fleet imo. Diamonds has just advertised that he does. I'm sure he means no harm, but I think this should have been established already, to remain impartial when on official duty.

how do you know it is a dev account? and i am sure as a perk for working there, they get to play the game for free...

your making a mountain out of a molehill dude.

funny thing though...all this time he has had this and you did not know. he offers a view of his toon and you shoot him in the foot for playing with people.

i see no issues with him playing or even choosing a fleet to belong to for fun and enjoyment. it is his life afer all....
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    wow, just wow.

omg theres a dev playing the game ! and he joined a player fleet ! while hes playing ! quick someone get out the lynch mob !

seriously?

why isnt he entitled to play and join a fleet for some community in the game. maybe hes the talkative type? or just likes to group up and run some missions and whatnot? as coderanger pointed out his account is bound to be limited. so why cant he join a player fleet? hes also a player...

if said dev uses his dev-iousness to accomplish things ingame for fleet members he shouldnt be, i am sure he would be censured severely for it.

let the guy play, and instead of complaining that devs are playing the game with us and joining fleets with us, how about communicating with them ingame. playing with them and thereby showing them what is wrong and right with the game from a players point of view, while they are also playing, is win win if you ask me.

the guy gets firsthand experience about the game from a players perspective, without god mode etc, and can take some notes. most of them admit to browsing the forums and playing the game from home. so why shouldnt they be allowed to now?

as said before, damned if they do and damned if they dont, some people will just never be happy