What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is a Dev in a players' fleet?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    It shouldn't have been an issue. Let the Dev's play with who they want, just cause some untrusting son of a ***** like the Op doesn't like it too bad.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    He's a normal player like everyone else. Just chill and relax. Just because they design the game that doesn't mean they aren't entitled to enjoy it on their free time.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This is an outrage. It's a clear violation of our rights as a consumer. It's an infringement on our constitutional rights. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous. You get me one coffee drinker on that jury, you gonna walk out of there a rich man.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jackie Chiles is that you?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Galdere wrote: »
    You clearly haven't read what I have posted through this thread.

You fell right into what I predicted in what you have quoted.

You are absolutely right, I never read the entire thread. I never noted every single response from you or others as they were being posted. The server was up throughout and I was busy in game.

I fell completely into the trap you laid by not quoting every single post by you and only posting the last 3 which were not relevant to what I was pointing out anyway.

This is a huge thing you have uncovered here. I was stupid not to realise the implications. This is exactly the same as something which happened on eve online, the evidence is overwhelming.

All devs that are in fleets are of course up to no good, it is disgusting.

* walks out of thread and back to reality* " Ah! it is still here, worrying for a sec"
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Anuhart wrote:
    You are absolutely right, I never read the entire thread. I never noted every single response from you or others as they were being posted. The server was up throughout and I was busy in game.

I fell completely into the trap you laid by not quoting every single post by you and only posting the last 3 which were not relevant to what I was pointing out anyway.

This is a huge thing you have uncovered here. I was stupid not to realise the implications. This is exactly the same as something which happened on eve online, the evidence is overwhelming.

All devs that are in fleets are of course up to no good, it is disgusting.

* walks out of thread and back to reality* " Ah! it is still here, worrying for a sec"

I only read the first part of that due to it being long, but I'm glad you agree that devs need to be banned from player fleets and hope that enough people will complain to get that implemented as a Cryptic policy.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    I only read the first part of that due to it being long, but I'm glad you agree that devs need to be banned from player fleets and hope that enough people will complain to get that implemented as a Cryptic policy.

I am not here any more, I walked out of this thread and back into rea......damn
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Blodveard wrote: »
    Yes, as I pointed out in my post, there are possible advantages.

And I wrote in my post how it would only be one advantage without harming his own company, and I don't get why we have to assume automatically that he would do anything like that.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    personally i dont really care as long as he/she isnt handing out info/items etc that isnt available to EVERYONE
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Aeleys wrote:
    personally i dont really care as long as he/she isnt handing out info/items etc that isnt available to EVERYONE

That was CCP's position, prior to it's having to fire two devs for shenanigans.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    That was CCP's position, prior to it's having to fire two devs for shenanigans.

true. but just becasue someone else did it dosnt mean people will follow...

oh wait that happend :(
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    everyone needs minions :D
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    K-Tar wrote:
    And I wrote in my post how it would only be one advantage without harming his own company, and I don't get why we have to assume automatically that he would do anything like that.

I made it a point not to assume, I clearly said 'potential" and I clearly said it creats an" appearance."

I was in EVE during the whole BOB affair, I was actually in one of BOB's affiliated ( alliance) corps. That whole affair ran the risk of destroying EVE and even CCP as a company. Hunreds of accounts were banned, and Devs were removed from the project as a result.

In the aftermath of such an MMO controversy, and you can see it is still fresh in many people's minds, why create the impression?

As another poster pointed out, the dev team already has their own in-game fleet. It is clearly identified as such, and we expect that it has the potential to do things that we can not. In Pirates of the Burning Sea, they had exaclty the same thing....The Dread Pirates. They created special server-wide events around their participation in our game world.

I have no objection to Devs or GMs playing the game, I hope they do. They should be in their own, exclusive fleet.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Diamonds is in Omega Fleet.

http://www.startrekonline.com/character_profiles/88741/view

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8454/omega2s.jpg

As I said in the character profiles thread...

Isn't that inappropriate?

The EVE\BoB thing comes to mind.

I find it quite epic news tbh. A Dev that PLAYS and a Dev that is in a player made/run Fleet?! HELL yeah that's good!!! Do you bring your work home for fun? I think it's fantastic that he does/can..
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    TUX426 wrote: »
    I find it quite epic news tbh. A Dev that PLAYS and a Dev that is in a player made/run Fleet?! HELL yeah that's good!!! Do you bring your work home for fun? I think it's fantastic that he does/can..

Cause heaven knows if the SOE devs would spend anytime playing SWG they would resign in shame. Anytime a dev plays and interacts with customers and can get feedback direct from the customers in their off time it's a good thing. Having elitist devs who are scared of the community at large only hurts games. Trust me, I've seen the results of devs who don't actually use the product they produce.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cause heaven knows if the SOE devs would spend anytime playing SWG they would resign in shame. Anytime a dev plays and interacts with customers and can get feedback direct from the customers in their off time it's a good thing. Having elitist devs who are scared of the community at large only hurts games. Trust me, I've seen the results of devs who don't actually use the product they produce.

EXACTLY!!! :cool:
  • Options
    edited April 2010

agree.............
    :)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So the devs are playing the game with people. who cares. I thinks it's great that they do because they will be able to see first hand issues that people bring up in the game and maybe be able to replicate it so a fix can be found. Most companies like this have policies and ethics in place that keep devs and GMs from giving out insider info. i've play several different MMO's where employees of the company played in the guild I was in. We would ask for some insider nuggets on up and coming new things and their response was they couldn't tell us anything as they could loose their jobs for it. So I don't undersand the OP's big stink. I'd be happy a Dev is playing a game s/he helped create. Get over yourself and stop whining about favoritism
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    again WHO CARES , let him have fun
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Complete non-issue.

It's common for Company employees to play their own game..almost all of Blizzard's staff that posts on their forums... is in a regular guild that they play in on a regular basis, they even talk about some of the stuff their guild(s) do in their forum posts.

There is nothing wrong with having a Cryptic employee in your fleet.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Strange how no one has argued that the devs shouldn't play, yet everyone wants to defend against that.

Think that raises a more poignant issue than what this thread is actually about?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    TechDragon wrote: »
    Jack 'Jackalope' Emmert plays Klingon.

That Jackalope name is mine... he can't have it.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Think that raises a more poignant issue than what this thread is actually about?

Wait, isn't it about creating pointless forum drama for our viewing pleasure? :D
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Teranika wrote: »
    Complete non-issue.

It's common for Company employees to play their own game..almost all of Blizzard's staff that posts on their forums... is in a regular guild that they play in on a regular basis, they even talk about some of the stuff their guild(s) do in their forum posts.

There is nothing wrong with having a Cryptic employee in your fleet.

It's doing it on the dev account though. Some say maybe ok if not actual GM, but we don't know how those accounts work.

Also there are probably differences with how it works at Blizzard, for example if they work on a server they might not be able to play on it. There are usually rules about this sort of thing which is why it surprised me.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Theres nothing wrong with Devs being in player guilds. However, no one should ever KNOW they are a Dev. There is absolutely NO reason for them to tell other players they are a Dev, unless they want some kind of special treatment.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think it's especially a non-issue since the Devs openly reveal the strategies behind encounters in this game.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's doing it on the dev account though. Some say maybe ok if not actual GM, but we don't know how those accounts work.

Also there are probably differences with how it works at Blizzard, for example if they work on a server they might not be able to play on it. There are usually rules about this sort of thing which is why it surprised me.

Interesting that you choose to assume that there are no rules, and that Cryptic/Diamond are just out to run the game by playing in player fleets.... instead of assuming that Cryptic has rules, and that what Diamond is doing is completely within the rules. Sorry, but to me it sounds (like someone already mentioned) like you're just jealous that it's not your fleet that a known Cryptic staff member is in.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Teranika wrote: »
    Interesting that you choose to assume that there are no rules, and that Cryptic/Diamond are just out to run the game by playing in player fleets.... instead of assuming that Cryptic has rules, and that what Diamond is doing is completely within the rules. Sorry, but to me it sounds (like someone already mentioned) like you're just jealous that it's not your fleet that a known Cryptic staff member is in.

What? :)

The only rule I said I'm surprised there isn't is to not have a dev account character in a player run fleet.

Don't know how you've extrapolated that to suit your own purposes.

Like I replied to the person you mention, I'm in a fleet of one. Me. For the extra bank tab.

Pretty funny post though. There are a few in here.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The right answer was on the first page of this silly thing. I'll paraphrase:

"In Eve Online it matters whether devs are helping out an alliance because it impacts real territorial contests, the outcome of meaningful wars that have consequences, the disposition of potentially thousands of real dollars, and man-hours, worth of ships, starbases and resources."

"In STO this matters much less because the vast majority of the game and its focus is PvE and even the rump PvP activity has no lasting impact or consequences whatsoever."

If a dev's cheating for his Fleet in STO, yes, he should be fired and never hired by an MMO again. However, in a low stakes, fun, game like Star Trek Online give the devs some slack. They should be mixing with the players and seeing what's going on for themselves. There's no real downside other than some tossers getting into a tizzy about "prestige" or some nonsense.

Have some self respect! Who cares what anyone else is doing in STO? Worry about having your own fun.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I thought the Dev's were entitled to enjoy this game as much as we do, if they want to join a fleet let them, it is not like they are hurting anyone really are they?

or are you just jealous they you don't have a Dev in your fleet?

At the end of the day i don't see anything wrong with it, i mean why should I let it bother me to the point of trying to name and shame them? it is not right or proper and it really sounds like sour grapes to me.

totally agree with Nerf here. sounds like a bunch of whining to me.

my suggestion put your big girl panties on and deal with it.