What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is a Dev in a players' fleet?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I didn't read through this whole thing, but I did notice that the person in question, Diamond's, last action in his/her/its captain's log was to withdraw from Omega Fleet, effective today.

With a Lieutenant.

That hadn't been played since March 25th.

/outrage?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Rekhan wrote:
    I'm not really sure what solution you're looking for here.

Personally? I'd like a cookie and a hug :(

Unfortunately, being able to tell which character is a devs will probably have drama attached to it. Of course, going invisible will have drama attached to it as well. So we should all take our cookies and hugs, and do what makes us happy. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I can't speak for the developers, but if I was restricted to playing an MMO with only my coworkers, even on my off time, I just wouldn't play on my off time. I work with great people, but I spend all day (sometimes literally) with them. I'd like to be around different people on my free time sometimes.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I didn't read through this whole thing, but I did notice that the person in question, Diamond's, last action in his/her/its captain's log was to withdraw from Omega Fleet, effective today.

With a Lieutenant.

That hadn't been played since March 25th.

/outrage?
    I'm sure that that will make Galdere VERY happy. Now he can move on and target someone else.

Unholy McCarthyism, Batwoman!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    thats awesome a Dev is mixing it up with the players! +10 COOLGRAVY
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Penth wrote: »
    Can this pointless thread be closed?

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ /signed

This thread is really nothing more than jealousy and angst over nothing.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't see the big deal. A developer being in someone's guild happens more often than most players probably realize. As developers they usually have strict rules they must follow when interacting with other players and, barring a lapse of sanity, aren't going to provide their guilds with insider advantages at the risk of losing their jobs.

Now, if I had been in his shoes I wouldn't have ever mentioned who my character was, simply to ensure that I could enjoy playing the game in peace, without other players treating me like an in-game support hotline. Unfortunately, I see a lot of unwanted in-game tells in his future, and probably a name change to escape them. And that's too bad, because personally I think it's rather cool that he is excited enough about the game that he felt like he could share his character information with the rest of us. If only all the players were as cool, it wouldn't wind up becoming a headache for him in the long run.

Why don't we try something wacky and different for a change: enjoy the fact that the developers are playing the game with us and just not bother the guy outside of the forums. :P Heaven knows most of us don't want to be pestered in-game about our forum opinions either.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The original poster. Shatner, when on Saturday Night Live.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    lynnewu wrote: »
    The original poster. Shatner, when on Saturday Night Live.

Shaka, when the walls fell. lol

Well I guess Diamond's fun is over. Everyone should add Galdere to their list and goon him forever more from this day.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    /outrage

The devs having fun playing our game... How dare they !!!

@OP - was it really worth something to have Diamond quit his fleet? Do you feel better about the sanctity of the game now?

I know I will sleep better... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The OP is long gone, having completed his mission to out Diamonds and shame him into quitting his fleet.

Right now, Galdere is probably kicking a puppy in order to make himself feel more like a "man".

The Devs spend their personal time playing this game with us, which is an incredibly positive sign. Sadly -- as we have seen repeatedly since even before Closed Beta -- there will always be self-serving mouth breathers who live to troll, grief, and otherwise try to ruin the fun of other people, because -- as with all bullies -- they are cowards.

Their motto is "No good deed goes unpunished".

I pity them.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    maybe we should find him and lynch him
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    just to let u guys know that Diamonds has left Omega Fleet with his Dev account and will be rejoining the fleet with an alternate account (of which i will receive a name shortly)

thats the conclusion to this thread
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    maybe we should find him and lynch him
    No. Any attempt to find and/or lynch him would only feed him and promote further trolling.

By now, he's probably gone back to EVE, where griefing and ganktastication are acceptable forms of behavior.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    NeoWolf06 wrote: »
    just to let u guys know that Diamonds has left Omega Fleet with his Dev account and will be rejoining the fleet with an alternate account (of which i will receive a name shortly)

Thanks for the update, NeoWolf. I'm glad that Diamonds wasn't completely driven away by a certain p'tach.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the update, NeoWolf. I'm glad that Diamonds wasn't completely driven away by a certain p'tach.

diamonds has always been and will continue to be welcome in our fleet.
    as i stated earlier he's never used his dev powers to help us in any way.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't see a problem with a dev in a fleet SO WHAT. as long as he has a dumbed down toon ie. no Dev tools. i see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to play the flippin game too. I say this to diamonds " put your toon back in the fleet."
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    pelarmul wrote: »
    I don't see a problem with a dev in a fleet SO WHAT. as long as he has a dumbed down toon ie. no Dev tools. i see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to play the flippin game too. I say this to diamonds " put your toon back in the fleet."

it may have been cryptic asking him to do so
    i just don't know.

regardless of the toon, the person is always welcome to the fleet
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I encourage EVERY dev at Cryptic to jump in and play the games. I don't mind a bit. Now if anything goes awry and the dev abuses this, we'll come down on them. But I want the community to know that we're just as much fans of our games as you are. We want to play with you and listen to you.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jackalope wrote: »
    I encourage EVERY dev at Cryptic to jump in and play the games. I don't mind a bit. Now if anything goes awry and the dev abuses this, we'll come down on them. But I want the community to know that we're just as much fans of our games as you are. We want to play with you and listen to you.

ah well D may have thought to avoid anymore drama he's use an alternate account
    but i just wanted to let people know that he's never abused his power in any way shape or form.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ah well D may have thought to avoid anymore drama he's use an alternate account
    but i just wanted to let people know that he's never abused his power in any way shape or form.

From the company's standpoint, I don't think they would mind people being in fleets. Had one in the SG over on CO and was there at the start as being one of the people on the team to start the SG. But being on the website, the company may be worried about him giving information that would be considered still confidential about upcoming things. And on being on the website is probably more of Cryptic's worry than just being in a fleet because they aren't monitoring the site at all.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Galdere wrote: »
    I know because he said that if you use:

http://www.startrekonline.com/character_profiles/user_characters/<handle&gt;

You can view it. I wouldn't claim it if I hadn't checked it out properly.

So what are you saying? You making the stand he IS untrustworthy?

Or is it sour grapes he didn't join your fleet?

Either case this is a whole lot of nothing unless you have something beyond your paranoia as evidence he is, has done anything wrong.

Innocent until proven guilty mean anything to you?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    PeterWhite wrote:

Innocent until proven guilty mean anything to you?

Crazy talk.

You know the interwebz is based on paranoia and hearsay.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I'm sorry but its just rediculous that he even had to do that. He should be able to enjoy the game under the name he wants to play. Same as the rest of us.

Hope you're happy OP of what you accomplished today. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    personae wrote:
    I'm sorry but its just rediculous that he even had to do that. He should be able to enjoy the game under the name he wants to play. Same as the rest of us.

Hope you're happy OP of what you accomplished today. :rolleyes:

Are you kidding? The OP successfully inconvenienced a Dev.

He probably needed to change his shorts after that :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jackalope wrote: »

i dont think the problem is with dev's or any member of the team that works with cryptic actually playing.

it's with what they know, for example if one of them knows specific weakness's that are not so clear to everyone else, in other words hidden and then decides to share said weakness with a few people. making it "unfair" to the rest of us.

glad to see that you would come down on them, but i think hte main problem is that other games companys and there devs have done this sort of thing before, and that has made some people uneasy.

like i said earlier on i dont really care as long as no foul-play happens, i wish all the team could play, so they could experince the good and the bad that the average player does with the game.(so they could work on it and change stuff etc)

but this has been blown up to bigger than needed...
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Why is this still a discussion?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    When I saw Diamond's personal character was in Omega the other day I thought it was very strange. It's common knowledge that devs play too but those accounts are ALWAYS kept secret for obvious reasons. I think Diamonds revealed that unintentionally and now we're in damage control mode.

I'm fairly sure he didn't abuse his authority nor give inside information to Omega Fleet but this is just a common sense no no. If a dev has a personal account, you stay ANONYMOUS.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    When I saw Diamond's personal character was in Omega the other day I thought it was very strange. It's common knowledge that devs play too but those accounts are ALWAYS kept secret for obvious reasons. I think Diamonds revealed that unintentionally and now we're in damage control mode.

I'm fairly sure he didn't abuse his authority nor give inside information to Omega Fleet but this is just a common sense no no. If a dev has a personal account, you stay ANONYMOUS.

o/ Hail zee empire!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    CDR_Mat wrote:
    Why is this still a discussion?
    This.

Who cares?! How the hell does this impact anyone here in a negative way? I swear, some of you like nothing better than to find a gray cloud for every silver lining.

Just read the below. Galdere, you suck big time. :(