test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is a Dev in a players' fleet?

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Let's look at this from a different perspective.
    Yes, it's a dev in a player fleet. But does that really matter?
    No, I do not think it does. Nothing can be gained from it.
    Characters made by players and by devs are apparently on equal levels.
    Harassing the poor guy will only lead to him leaving the fleet for reasons he had no control over.

Maybe I just don't understand the real issue.
    Or, I am being cryptic about what I am really saying.
    But, I don't think anyone really cares.
    edited April 2010
    OddjobXL wrote: »
    The right answer was on the first page of this silly thing. I'll paraphrase:

"In Eve Online it matters whether devs are helping out an alliance because it impacts real territorial contests, the outcome of meaningful wars that have consequences, the disposition of potentially thousands of real dollars, and man-hours, worth of ships, starbases and resources."

"In STO this matters much less because the vast majority of the game and its focus is PvE and even the rump PvP activity has no lasting impact or consequences whatsoever."

If a dev's cheating for his Fleet in STO, yes, he should be fired and never hired by an MMO again. However, in a low stakes, fun, game like Star Trek Online give the devs some slack. They should be mixing with the players and seeing what's going on for themselves. There's no real downside other than some tossers getting into a tizzy about "prestige" or some nonsense.

Have some self respect! Who cares what anyone else is doing in STO? Worry about having your own fun.

Although I partly agree with you, you'll probably have wanted to read the latest interview with Craig that has been posted on the forum from a german website, before posting some of what you did.
    edited April 2010
    Ughhh. What is a matter with ppl. God forbid someone actually wants to play the game they made. And the noise about insider info...really? Yeah we should lock him up like Martha Stewart, millions of $$$ are at risk! Relax, you'll all live longer.
    edited April 2010
    Galdere wrote: »
    Diamonds is in Omega Fleet.

http://www.startrekonline.com/character_profiles/88741/view

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8454/omega2s.jpg

As I said in the character profiles thread...

Isn't that inappropriate?

The EVE\BoB thing comes to mind.

Seems like someone's butt-hurt about it =P
    Who cares if he's in someone else's fleet other than YOURS?

Juice-Guy: "Hey! I created this new juice! Have some!"
    Boy: "Ooh, nice! Thank you!"
    Juice-Guy: "Yeah, I drink this stuff too, it's great"
    Boy: "Wait... YOU, the inventor, drink it also? WTF? You're probably getting more health and delisiousness out of it because you made it!! Argh! I'm gonna whine now! SO NOT FAIR!!!"
    Juice-Guy: "....."
    edited April 2010
    Although I partly agree with you, you'll probably have wanted to read the latest interview with Craig that has been posted on the forum from a german website, before posting some of what you did.

Is there a link?
    edited April 2010
    denare wrote: »
    Let's look at this from a different perspective.
    Yes, it's a dev in a player fleet. But does that really matter?
    No, I do not think it does. Nothing can be gained from it.
    Characters made by players and by devs are apparently on equal levels.
    Harassing the poor guy will only lead to him leaving the fleet for reasons he had no control over.

Maybe I just don't understand the real issue.
    Or, I am being cryptic about what I am really saying.
    But, I don't think anyone really cares.

I agree %100 Mr Mob.

Just stop with the pitch forks people.
    edited April 2010
    wow people will really whine about nothing.
    Shut the hell up and let the guy play the game he helped make.
    edited April 2010
    Who the hell are anyone to say what he should play? He is involved in creating the game, he does his job, he gets paid end of. What he does in his spare time is up to him.

What he does at work may have him assigned to fed while someone else is covers klingon. what does it matter I think you guys need to go play more!
    edited April 2010
    wow people will really whine about nothing.
    Shut the hell up and let the guy play the game he helped make.

Bang on I agree, this thread should have been closed! Moment someone show they are investigating someone even a player, they should be discouraged quickly.
    edited April 2010
    I played a few other MMOs and know for a fact that devs and GMs are in player guilds, even have some in my own guild. You want to know the standard answer when someone in the guild asks for something 'special' from one of those folks?

'Are you outta your ********* mind?'

Yes, occasionally, you'll find that idiot dev or GM who does things like the EvE/BoB fiasco, but that's the EXCEPTION, not the rule, as clearly evidenced by the fact that you do NOT see people pointing out all the OTHER MMOs where this has happened repeatedly.

All I can see from the OPs whining(yes, WHINING) is jealousy that a dev is not in his fleet, as there's clearly no evidence of anything untoward going on, especially considering the fact that Diamond posted his OWN profile with his fleet in it, it wasn't something that had to be dug out of the dark recesses of the db.

EvE/BoB was an isolated incident, it's not systemmic of the MMO industry, so quit yer whining already.
    edited April 2010
    Kristov wrote: »

EvE/BoB was an isolated incident, it's not systemmic of the MMO industry, so quit yer whining already.

That's possible, but it's equally possible that it was just overt enough for them to get caught that time, whereas most of it goes under the radar.

I seriously doubt that the one time, ever, that someone abused their power in an MMO was the same time that they got caught doing it. Life doesn't work that way.
    edited April 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    That's possible, but it's equally possible that it was just overt enough for them to get caught that time, whereas most of it goes under the radar.

I seriously doubt that the one time, ever, that someone abused their power in an MMO was the same time that they got caught doing it. Life doesn't work that way.

If a dev abuses his power and no one is there to care, then does he commit an infraction? :)
    edited April 2010
    I love the smell of conspiracy theory in the morning....

Seriously, OP, you need to relax a little. While I understand your comparison to EVE/BoB debacle, it's not noteworthy here in STO. For a few, main, reasons.

1. EVE Online contains massive user-made content. Real people are building empires, controlling territories and building massive fleets to use in battle or sale. There are large amounts time investments by all the players to keep that "entity" alive. There's Player Owned Stations (POS), Outposts, Capital Ships and ship yards, access to valuable mining resources ... that sort of thing. What is there in STO? No player owned anything.

2. No controlled territories in STO means, there's no inside espionage to a level seen in EVE. Could there be in STO? Sure, but why? Only for the purpose of pure roll play maybe, since again, you control nothing - nor own anything in this game. Fleets aren't pitted against one another for control.

There's more trivial reasons, but that's pretty much it in a nut shell. I think you just have some personal beef with a Dev playing in a "player fleet" on his/her off time. Who really cares? This game is nothing like EVE and your are basing your argument on a failed comparison.

Good day.
    edited April 2010
    Delazure wrote: »
    And I'd love to know how many players actually play KDF...

I have one, well, he's not a Klingon, but he's still a KDF character, which I still hope sees more PvE for in the future.
    edited April 2010
    Well there are several reasons why I and others have said there is\might be.

Unfortunately, none of those reasons apply here.

On the other hand, there's one absolutely GREAT reason for Diamond to be involved with a player fleet, and for all of us to know he's out there playing with players:

We can now demonstrate the problems with the game to him directly.

You keep forgetting about the other side of the coin. You're so worried about some form of cheating that the dev might give his fleet that you forget ...

Players are by and large much better at playing the game than the devs are. Having Diamond in a fleet with other players gives Diamond an information pipeline to what players can do and what players experience and what players talk about. It helps the flow of information. It helps the devs dev better.

Stop thinking about the negative, as it doesn't impact this game much at all (there's no secret infoz Diamond is giving to his fleet-mates to make them the bestest of the the bestest). And start thinking about allllllllllllllll those bugs and gameplay issues that his fleetmates can now tell him about and get him to pipeline that directly to the rest of the dev team.

Open communication. Cryptic's been talking about doing that a lot lately. This is an example of it.
    edited April 2010
    You are STILL fighting this pointless battle?

Let it drop, its plainly obvious the majortiy of players dont care that he is and think your being a douche for going on your little witch hunt.

I klnow, I know, whiney people on MMO forums are used to gettign their way when they are in the minority, but seriously, let it go Abigail Williams.
    edited April 2010
    I love threads like this. They're so hysterical after all the "DON'T YOU EVEN PLAY YOUR OWN F'N GAME????" threads. :D

Its good they play the game. Really it is. Its even better they don't hide this fact.
    edited April 2010

Clearly abuses would have to be prevented.. but are you seriously saying they shouldn't be allowed to play the game?

We ought to demand they play the game!
    edited April 2010

Yeah so lol,

This is his own toon, not what he test out build with,
    Why does it surprise you that he plays the game.

My mate Fat Matt, works for Bungie and he plays Halo.

I don't see why this warranted a Thread.

kind pointless really

If you also referring to BOB the Corp on EvE, your 1 year out of date as it got riddled with spys and we all robbed them, it even made the EvE news network.

As it stands BoB is no more but its old members did form new Corp under a new name.
    edited April 2010
    And why would this be inappropriate?
    If you worked in a hospital would it be inappropriate for you to receive medical care?
    edited April 2010
    Delazure wrote: »
    And I'd love to know how many players actually play KDF...

I bounce back and forth. I did a lot of Klink in beta, so when the game launched I was pretty sick of PvP. Now that we have cluster content, I'm enjoying being Klink again. :)
    edited April 2010
    I don't really see any problem with this.

How is it harming anyone or affecting their game play?
    edited April 2010
    I can understand the concern over this. Aside from the discussions of devs and their powers - which I don't think to be the case here - the concern I think is one of obvious identity. Most mmo's I've played on had a policy that employees of the game couldn't inform people while playing in-game that they were employed by the game. Also, they were required to use standard accounts in order to play online -- as opposed to working.

First, because if you're a known dev in a guild, people are going to be attracted to that group of people for no other reason than the dev title being linked to it. Second, it opens up the door for people to pester you for items/knowledge/instant fix gratification *plz fix dig for me!!!* ect ect. And devs do have knowledge that we're either not supposed to have, not supposed to have yet, or are supposed to figure out for ourselves.

Some examples might be the best method for defeating bosses, the exact cap values in the game, and the most efficient skill allocations for your ship.

Finally, no matter how nicely the dev is playing with others, there will always be the perception of favor, regardless of whether or not any favor is being given.

I agree that it's nice to see that the devs are actually playing the game. But that has to be balanced against the above factors as well.

If there's enough stink about it, I'd expect devs to have to go invisible... at least to most of the sto group :(
    edited April 2010
    Diamonds is in that fleet *specifically* to perturb *you*, Galdere.

(*shoots Galdere in the bum with her Dual Varon-T DIsruptor Pistols, then kicks him out the nearest airlock*)

Bon voyage!
    edited April 2010
    I'm not really sure what solution you're looking for here.

If you're really that concerned about an EVE BoB thing, isn't it better if you can see what we're up to?
    edited April 2010
    is it true that two of the devs are part of starfleet dental / goon fleet (and so that's why they were given "diplomatic immunity" to the GMs when they were doing that very high profile griefing)?
    edited April 2010
    Rekhan wrote:
    I'm not really sure what solution you're looking for here.

If you're really that concerned about an EVE BoB thing, isn't it better if you can see what we're up to?

I'm surprised that you still expect silly notions such as logic to influence ideas on these boards :D
    edited April 2010
    normally i would find a dev publicly playing the game and not keeping his/her dev status secret from even his fleet innapropirate but:

STO doesn't have much if any competition. at best it's who can get finish a new stf on the pts first, or translate that into being the first to log in and clear it on holodeck after many many practice runs and putting on farm in tribble. which is really no big deal.

at worst a dev being public as a player about his/her dev status is giving his fleetmates insights into upcoming changes before they're made public, or letting them in on known but relatively secret exploits in pvp.

for instance we all know what's his name the lead producer(?) plays klingon. which is probably why they're naturally stronger than their fed counterparts. but pvp in this game would probably be fail even without those issues.

in my personal experience its kinda interesting to see the correlations of devs playing their games and what class and style they use vs the balance changes etc in these games. especially when it's the lead developer playing. from what i've seen the class/faction that these devs play tend to be moderately OP and very versatile compared to more OP classes. and well protected during that dev's(especially lead devs) tenure. when the dev or lead dev leaves the team, the class is usually nerfed or quickly balanced in just a few patch cycles.

seen this happen in a few games now, and have no doubt STO will be no different.
    edited April 2010
    Conspiracy Conspiracy!!!!
    edited April 2010
    is it true that two of the devs are part of starfleet dental / goon fleet (and so that's why they were given "diplomatic immunity" to the GMs when they were doing that very high profile griefing)?

I couldn't see that being true. While GM's/Dev's/Rekhan (yes i separated him because he's just not a gm or dev he's... well him XD) are allowed to play i'm sure, I HIGHLY doubt they'd allow a fleet to go against policy without themselves being canned :p