What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is a Dev in a players' fleet?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    pff, seriously.... this is NOTHING don't worry about it :p they are people too you know...

you want something to get angry about? The reason griefing is tolerated and nothing was done against the "starfleet dental" stuff it was all turned a blind eye to? Two unnamed devs are members:

Sun Feb 28
    [19:56] <Mav1701> if companies would just ban Goons at the first sign of them, it'd really solve a lot of things
    [19:56] <warcabbit> You know the devs are goons.
    [19:56] <warcabbit> so...
    [19:56] <warcabbit> At least two I know of.
    [19:58] <Mav1701> I find that hard to believe frankly. Maybe they were in the goonfleet, but not the actual griefer guys
    [19:58] <warcabbit> Actually, I think at least one was active in Goonfleet.
    [19:59] <Mav1701> actual Goodsquad members.. the ones that actively grief and harass people and admit to it
    [19:59] <Torenn> tbh I'm just reading the thread
    [19:59] <Torenn> and Choc is really right
    [20:00] <Torenn> the people inviting klingons and trapping 'em, seemingly for fun
    [20:00] <Torenn> but are being total imbeciles as well.
    [20:00] <warcabbit> Psst, Torenn?
    [20:00] <warcabbit> The people claiming to be trapped?
    [20:00] <warcabbit> (also goons)
    [20:01] <Mav1701> lets be clear.. if the Goonsquad found a way to grief people, they would do it until forced to stop
    [20:03] <Mav1701> none of this matters, these sort of banal arguments are what the Goons like - they exist to harass. they admit this, their site is dedicated to it
    [20:04] <Blademage> Cryptic promised the reduction of greifing
    [20:06] <Blademage> either way
    [20:06] <Blademage> GM should have stoped this activity, end of story
    [20:08] <velocity7> well if they claim they're breaking TOS that's just as good as pleading guilty then isn't it, lol
    [20:10] <Mav1701> I am still not clear on the FBI thing.. the guys says they posted personal information about him
    06[20:11] * warcabbit shrugs. "He's using a picture of himself as a logo."
    [20:13] <Torenn> Tbh I think Choc is right
    [20:13] <Mav1701> yeah evidently this guy was involved somehow, the Goons decided to mock him and posted that stuff
    [20:14] <Mav1701> Chock is contending that because his personal info is still posted on the forums against his will, Cryptic is liable
    [20:14] <Torenn> On some demented morons posting personal information on the net?
    [20:14] <Torenn> well the goons posted his personal data on OTHER websites
    [20:15] <Torenn> so the question is HOW did they see his e-mail address?
    [20:15] <Torenn> if it was hidden?
    [20:15] <Mav1701> the thing is, the terms of service do not supercede communication laws
    [20:20] <Askray> 1) It has to be malicious intent 2) The information cannot be publically available and so on
    [20:20] <Torenn> and anyhow I'm reading everything these Starfleet Dental guys are posting they really showing some sociopathic attitudes they shouldn't be endorsed at all.
    [20:21] <Askray> oh i'm 100% in agreeance
    [20:21] <Askray> I dont condone their action so please dont take it as such
    [20:22] <Blademage> needs a giant banhammer.
    [20:22] <Mav1701> I dont understand why that thread wasnt locked 4 days ago
    [20:22] <Blademage> no clue
    [20:22] <Torenn> and still I see the kiddies and the teens say "How cool it was"
    [20:22] <Mav1701> GMs SAW the thread
    [20:22] <Mav1701> and posted within
    [20:24] <Torenn> I'm really astonished I already thought most of the youngers are total imbeciles, but I swear I never been that cretin and I'm 25.
    [20:40] <Blademage> in the end greifers acheive.. nothing.
    [20:40] <Mav1701> they achieve their own amusement, thats all they care about
    [20:41] <Mav1701> I'm not saying engage them and give them the satisfaction of your anger
    [20:41] <Mav1701> I am saying just ban them and let them go elsewhere
    [20:42] <Mav1701> but dont be an appologist and come back with 'Oh but they're just having their own kind of fun' - because their kind of fun is making sure others aren't having it
    [20:45] <Xaintrix> Pranks are different. It's not continued abuse. Well unless you continue to prank. That's not cool either.
    [20:46] <Xaintrix> Most of the time when I see griefing, it's not "ha ha and let's move on", it typically continues on and on until it eats away at the other person.
    [20:46] <Mav1701> yeah its like hitting me with a shaving cream pie.. waiting til I clean up and doing it again... until I climb out a window or something :P
    [20:47] <Xaintrix> Well like continuing to harass you outside of class, before you go to your girlfriend's place, after you attend a funeral, and continuing to whack you with said pie.
    [20:51] <Mav1701> ... destra posted AGAIN and still didnt lock it
    [20:54] <warcabbit> I think the GMs are having fun too.

Sat Mar 27
    [11:10] <Askray> Brondo: That's because you're in eve-online
    [11:10] <Scautura> Brondo: Anyone in the #eve-online channel at the same time is banned from #sto - there were a lot of issues with trolls from that channel.
    [11:14] <Scautura> And it's nothing against the game itself, either, given the devs play (one of them is a Goon)

oh... and since I'm probably going to be censored for posting that anyway, you know all that drama over the new "Pakled" ops? the moaning from the previous volunteer ops about having their positions taken away etc, at least by some of them (like the lead one adtherat) was staged, it's mostly the same people they just changed names and hid their IPs:

snipr.com/pakleds

- Idea seems to be basically that Cryptic needed to make the chat channel look more official, but didn't want to put the money towards having it done professionally (the rules thread says that they are not cryptic employees). Ok fair enough, but the attempted deception is uncalled for and pretty slimy, wouldn't care if they had just been honest about who they were. :p
    01[22:44] <deathkittin> so Pakled_Reginod enlighten us
    01[22:44] <deathkittin> are you paid by cryptic?
    01[22:44] <deathkittin> it says you are not employees
    01[22:44] <deathkittin> it's a bit curious what your actual status is
    01[22:44] <deathkittin> volunteers or what?
    [22:45] <Omnifox> Its not a topic they can talk about, deathkittin.
    [22:45] <@pakled_redundo&gt; we are not allowed to answer that question at this time
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    pff, seriously.... this is NOTHING don't worry about it :p they are people too you know...

you want something to get angry about? The reason griefing is tolerated and nothing was done against the "starfleet dental" stuff it was all turned a blind eye to? Two unnamed devs are members:

Sun Feb 28
    [19:56] <Mav1701> if companies would just ban Goons at the first sign of them, it'd really solve a lot of things
    [19:58] <Mav1701> I find that hard to believe frankly. Maybe they were in the goonfleet, but not the actual griefer guys
    [19:59] <Mav1701> actual Goodsquad members.. the ones that actively grief and harass people and admit to it
    [20:00] <Torenn> the people inviting klingons and trapping 'em, seemingly for fun
    [20:01] <Mav1701> lets be clear.. if the Goonsquad found a way to grief people, they would do it until forced to stop
    [20:03] <Mav1701> none of this matters, these sort of banal arguments are what the Goons like - they exist to harass. they admit this, their site is dedicated to it
    [20:08] <velocity7> well if they claim they're breaking TOS that's just as good as pleading guilty then isn't it, lol
    [20:10] <Mav1701> I am still not clear on the FBI thing.. the guys says they posted personal information about him
    [20:13] <Mav1701> yeah evidently this guy was involved somehow, the Goons decided to mock him and posted that stuff
    [20:14] <Mav1701> Chock is contending that because his personal info is still posted on the forums against his will, Cryptic is liable
    [20:14] <Torenn> On some demented morons posting personal information on the net?
    [20:15] <Mav1701> the thing is, the terms of service do not supercede communication laws
    [20:20] <Askray> 1) It has to be malicious intent 2) The information cannot be publically available and so on
    [20:20] <Torenn> and anyhow I'm reading everything these Starfleet Dental guys are posting they really showing some sociopathic attitudes they shouldn't be endorsed at all.
    [20:22] <Torenn> and still I see the kiddies and the teens say "How cool it was"
    [20:24] <Torenn> I'm really astonished I already thought most of the youngers are total imbeciles, but I swear I never been that cretin and I'm 25.
    [20:41] <Mav1701> I'm not saying engage them and give them the satisfaction of your anger
    [20:42] <Mav1701> but dont be an appologist and come back with 'Oh but they're just having their own kind of fun' - because their kind of fun is making sure others aren't having it
    [20:45] <Xaintrix> Pranks are different. It's not continued abuse. Well unless you continue to prank. That's not cool either.
    [20:46] <Xaintrix> Most of the time when I see griefing, it's not "ha ha and let's move on", it typically continues on and on until it eats away at the other person.
    [20:46] <Mav1701> yeah its like hitting me with a shaving cream pie.. waiting til I clean up and doing it again... until I climb out a window or something :P
    [20:47] <Xaintrix> Well like continuing to harass you outside of class, before you go to your girlfriend's place, after you attend a funeral, and continuing to whack you with said pie.

Sat Mar 27
    [11:10] <Scautura> Brondo: Anyone in the #eve-online channel at the same time is banned from #sto - there were a lot of issues with trolls from that channel.
    [11:14] <Scautura> And it's nothing against the game itself, either, given the devs play (one of them is a Goon)

oh... and since I'm probably going to be censored for posting that anyway, you know all that drama over the new "Pakled" ops? the moaning from the previous volunteer ops about having their positions taken away etc, at least by some of them (like the lead one adtherat) was staged, it's mostly the same people they just changed names and hid their IPs:

snipr.com/pakleds

- Idea seems to be basically that Cryptic needed to make the chat channel look more official, but didn't want to put the money towards having it done professionally (the rules thread says that they are not cryptic employees). Ok fair enough, but the attempted deception is uncalled for and pretty slimy, wouldn't care if they had just been honest about who they were. :p

Lol...... enlightenment ........."So bright it hurts"
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Anuhart wrote:
    You are grasping at straws now, circumstantial evidence in one mmo does not make for a duplicate scenario in another mmo because certain circumstances are the same.

Really mate there is nothing in this.

/drop it.

You clearly haven't read what I have posted through this thread.

You fell right into what I predicted in what you have quoted.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Yah and 90% of the people complaining about Goons are.... *drumroll please* Goons trolling each other. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Lol...... enlightenment ........."So bright it hurts"

A chatlog with no evidence and conjecture that appeals to people who want it to be true posted on the internet!?

IT MUST BE TRUE!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Here are the potential problems with a Dev, even in his/her private time, being a part of a player run fleet:

1. The appearance of inappropriateness.

2 "Here you go fleet mates, here is 9,000,000 credits to open up all 8 bank slots"

3. "Here you go fleet mates, here is a Saurian BO with Efficiency space skill for all."

4. "Hey, I know exactly how many items you have to turn in for memory alpha."

5. "Hey I know where Romulan Ale and Heart of Targ drops, more often."

The insider information alone is enough of a problem. After what happened over at EVE Online it is surprising that this could not be seen as a potential problem.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Khorak wrote: »
    A chatlog with no evidence and conjecture that appeals to people who want it to be true posted on the internet!?

IT MUST BE TRUE!

www.startrekonline.com/chat

once you are connected and see people talking in the default channel join the dev channel by typing /join #stoQA

:p
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What's this about Bob now?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I met a GM-Char yesterday and checked out the profile. Of course I didn't have access to gear, but I still found what I saw... interesting. My last MMO was WoW, were the bluerobed GM's were known to carry legendary gear that wasn't even available ingame.
    Now that GM-Character was obviously modeled after Jadzia Dax. Spots, ponytail and a black uniform with blue shoulders (or whatever they called that colour in DS9.) But the first thing I realised was that she wasn't a joined Trill, just a common one. Also I could have sworn that her uniform was just recoloured TNG movie uniform. Everything else was normal, Rear Admiral 5, Fleet Cryptic Corps (or something like that), used some kind of science vessel with the same name as the character. I find it noticeable that someone who theoretically should have the power to give himself every special unlock in the game just uses standard stuff.

And I can't see any use for a Dev in a fleet, except giving out very rare drop-only items for free. Giving out energy credits would be useless, giving out Merits or Honor would kill part of their profit from the C-Store, and helping with STF's would **** of other Devs when they bet money on how long it takes the players to beat it. So far I haven't seen any power abuse from Devs or GM's, and in fact I'm happy that they play the game alongside us normal players. That should improve awareness of issues players have with the game without having to read through hundreds of pages of forumflame.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    K-Tar wrote:
    I met a GM-Char yesterday and checked out the profile. Of course I didn't have access to gear, but I still found what I saw... interesting. My last MMO was WoW, were the bluerobed GM's were known to carry legendary gear that wasn't even available ingame.
    Now that GM-Character was obviously modeled after Jadzia Dax. Spots, ponytail and a black uniform with blue shoulders (or whatever they called that colour in DS9.) But the first thing I realised was that she wasn't a joined Trill, just a common one. Also I could have sworn that her uniform was just recoloured TNG movie uniform. Everything else was normal, Rear Admiral 5, Fleet Cryptic Corps (or something like that), used some kind of science vessel with the same name as the character. I find it noticeable that someone who theoretically should have the power to give himself every special unlock in the game just uses standard stuff.

And I can't see any use for a Dev in a fleet, except giving out very rare drop-only items for free. Giving out energy credits would be useless, giving out Merits or Honor would kill part of their profit from the C-Store, and helping with STF's would **** of other Devs when they bet money on how long it takes the players to beat it. So far I haven't seen any power abuse from Devs or GM's, and in fact I'm happy that they play the game alongside us normal players. That should improve awareness of issues players have with the game without having to read through hundreds of pages of forumflame.

Having a dedicated Dev / GM fleet is one thing. Being a member of a unaffiliated player fleet is the issue.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

once you are connected and see people talking in the default channel join the dev channel by typing /join #stoQA

Wow! That proves nothing! This thread is totally awesome.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Unless he uses some kind of dev ability to give the fleet an advantage let him do as he wishes.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Every DEV should play the game... in a fleet or not... they should play what they make.

I don't see a problem unless there is some grand prise to be won in an STO competition.

/thread
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    How dare Developers and GM's have a chance to enjoy the game! How DARE they!

I'm quitting!

SHHHAAADDDUUUPPPP!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Try reading the thread instead of posting about something irrelevant to it please.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Galdere wrote: »
    Try reading the thread instead of posting about something irrelevant to it please.

Try using quotes so we know who you are talking to, please.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Galdere wrote: »
    Diamonds is in Omega Fleet.

http://www.startrekonline.com/character_profiles/88741/view

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8454/omega2s.jpg

As I said in the character profiles thread...

Isn't that inappropriate?

The EVE\BoB thing comes to mind.

Except STO != EvE

The mechanics (right now) are much different and something like the BoB incident would not be nearly as impacting with the present STO structure. That is, assuming Diamonds would go insane and attempt something like that.

I can understand the up front concern, as I was an EvE player when that particular event took place. CCP's handling of it made me drop my subscription and I haven't been back. I think the publicity of their handling of it probably was a learning experience for many game companies in how to address such things.

We do want developers to play the same game that the players do. It gives them insight and lets them make more informed decisions from a player perspective. However, players don't want to see another BoB type of incident either. So, I would assume, that it has already been addressed, internally at Cryptic, and that in the event something like it did happen (I hope not) that the response would be different.

Although I would suspect that the developers probably all have standard accounts to log in with as well, that are not known to the players. It would let them actually focus on aspects of the game play without getting bombed with private tell's every 10 seconds.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Blodveard wrote: »
    Having a dedicated Dev / GM fleet is one thing. Being a member of a unaffiliated player fleet is the issue.

Why is it an issue? Because theoretically, maybe the Dev could give the fleet a small advantage somewhere?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    K-Tar wrote:
    Why is it an issue? Because theoretically, maybe the Dev could give the fleet a small advantage somewhere?

It's not an issue... unless someone believes any of this really matters... it's not like someone can win a million dollars from STO for being awesome.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Can this pointless thread be closed?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    CDR_Mat wrote:
    Try using quotes so we know who you are talking to, please.

You know who you are. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yes... Q, I haven't seen you in awhile...

I would like this thread to be visited by Q.

I miss his arrogant thread closing powers.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Sun Feb 28

Sat Mar 27

snipr.com/pakleds

Khorak wrote: »
    Wow! That proves nothing! This thread is totally awesome.

Not very bright are you.. Ask the people featured if you can see their own logs, duh.

You honestly think I would write something that long for the fun of it?

:rolleyes:

Why else would they have joined in and literally cheered and egged along when people were griefing other players? lol they even ignored it when the griefing spilled over onto the forums like posting that (admittedly extremely dorky and weird, but no one deserves that) guy's personal details all over the place... that stuff is just appalling, it's like human bearbaiting.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Realistically, if a dev gave his fleets all the uber weapons/tribbles... Would I care? No, I'd feel sorry for the people in his fleet, as they'd have nothing left to do, get bored and quit.

The only person who really loses from a dev being made know, is the dev. There's a very real possibility that they'll just get constantly bombarded with questions from people from the moment they log in.

I do feel that it's great to see dev's being an active part of the community, making an effort to join fleets, and see the players perspective (and all their grumbles). This is something we should really be encouraging, not rejecting. With this approach, rather than just getting a list of bug fixes to work down, maybe they'll have an appreciation for which are the most annoying for players, and get things feeling slick, quite quickly.

The best advantage a dev can give his fleet, is not weapons, it's to fix the bloody lag :D which I'm sure is in everyone's interests.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't see how this really matters.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ah, pointless forum drama...

popcorn.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    CDR_Mat wrote: »
    I don't see how this really matters.

I already said the diamonds thing doesn't at all if you had actually read. :p the other thing, I don't think anyone should be exempted from the rules even if they are friends
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    K-Tar wrote:

Yes, as I pointed out in my post, there are possible advantages.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Delazure wrote: »
    And I'd love to know how many players actually play KDF...

I'm having fun with leveling my Klingon. I have to admit, the exploration missions for Klingons are infinitely better than the Federation ones. You always get to shoot something or blow something up! :)

The "Destroy Tribble Colonies" ones are classic! :p
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Diamonds was made an honorary member of the fleet a few months before the game even came out.

he's an awesome dude but we've been told by him not to expect any special treatment and thats cool we weren't expecting that.

Having a dev is nothing special, we rarely see him (every other weekend). he doesn't reveal anything special about the game or anything like that to us he's just another member of the community

of course i'd agree that devs shouldn't be allowed in fleets if they were GM's and using those accounts to give that fleet/players an edge, but diamonds isn't a GM, he's part of the web design team for the website lol

i hope u guys can see why this isn't an issue
    Neo