What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

System Requirements

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    At 1600x1200, you're fine with that GTX 285 on almost everything maxed out (except may be AA, which is always a performance hog on NVIDIA cards, but 4x is plenty anyways, even though you could get by with 8x).

With that resolution, you're just under 2 million pixels, so you're fine.

The GTX 285 is a solid card and good performer for that resolution. Here's its specs:

It's raw fillrate is 20,736 MP/sec. Of course with nothing but rendering 3D images, your card can handle 333 million pixels per second (20,000 / 60 frames per second). With a lot of high graphics settings putting processing demand on your GPU, that number will drop significantly. But you have plenty of overhead to have a very smooth experience with almost maxed settings at 1600x1200 with a GTX 285.

BTW, is that a 1GB or 2GB model? They came in both flavors, and the 2GB one has a completely different layout. If you have the 1GB model, I'd recommend Arctic Cooling's cooler for that card as it lowers GPU temps to 40s C and is very quiet even at full fan speed. If you have the 2GB model, those aftermarket coolers won't fit.
    ussequinox wrote: »
    While I agree the game should be cutting edge, and this is a forum about a game. Many on here are Star Trek fans, enthused about the game. I don't know if I speak for the majority, or the minority, but there are others than my self, who are not die-hard gamers who have to have the latest and greatest computer equipment, who are also waiting for this game with great anticipation.

Graphics are not, and should not be the only dimension to a great cutting edge game.

But when you play a game like Batman: Arkham Asylum with all the setting on High with physx enable the game is so beautiful. The WOW factor is worth it. A lot of PCs that are 3 yrs old can meet the recommend requirement of this game.

With Batman AA there are minimal requirement, recommend requirement and the WOW requirement. The WOW is 260 GTX. I am hoping that the WOW factor for STO will be a 9800 GT.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Jean_Deaux wrote:
    Right on... I did give a solid effort into running Vista Ultimate but I several and severe issues with Vista and after a month I just ripped it out and put XP back in. Vista was the first upgrade I've ever regretting doing. Windows 7 is looking very exciting so looks like I might finally be making the upgrade myself. You really can't blame XP owners for not upgrading, they are just smart enough to stick with something that works vs enduring something just because it's new.

I have to admit, I do like that new Apple commercial with the "Trust Me" memory flashbacks. They are so on the mark with that. If only Apple didn't suck when it came to a broad software market.

I been using Vista Ultimate 32 bit since it came out. I really liked it. I wanted Media Center and to play Halo 2. Yes, I know and agree that Halo 2 should have been playable on XP especially since it do not support DX10. That really hurt Halo 2 sales.

I now have Win7 and love it. I was running Win 7 RC 64 Bit for 4 months but was having video codec issue so I switch to Vista 64 Bit. I hated it so much that on Oct 22rd I had Win 7 install.

Media Center run much smoother on Win 7.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Jean_Deaux wrote:
    Right on... I did give a solid effort into running Vista Ultimate but I several and severe issues with Vista and after a month I just ripped it out and put XP back in. Vista was the first upgrade I've ever regretting doing. Windows 7 is looking very exciting so looks like I might finally be making the upgrade myself. You really can't blame XP owners for not upgrading, they are just smart enough to stick with something that works vs enduring something just because it's new.

I have to admit, I do like that new Apple commercial with the "Trust Me" memory flashbacks. They are so on the mark with that. If only Apple didn't suck when it came to a broad software market.
    Jean_Deaux wrote:
    Sorry friend, I can't help you there. I've built every PC I've owned. It seems a bit scary to most who haven't done it before, but you'd be suprised what a few hours surfing the web and reading reviews can do in helping you put a decent system together.
    Pontious wrote: »
    Or has anybody found a PC that has all the recommended (not minimum) specs at like Dell or HP or Asus? I've been looking like heck, but nothing.

If somebody finds one, please pass it on!
    You're not going to find that machine because 8800 card are no longer been used in new builds. It's like a two years old machine. And same for the CPUs. If the system has a dual core CPU (AMD or Intel) and 9600 GT or better (I would go with a 9800 GT, 250 GTS or ATI 4850) with 2GB of RAM minimal you will most likely be alright.

Something like is would be a good guide line would be okay.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229139

Now I build my own systems too. Just remember to buy it from a place that knows PCs. As much as I hate Fry's I would buy a system from them then Bestbuy.

You could buy system for like $500-$650 and add a graphic card to it. Just make sure the PSU support your card. A 9800 GT or 250 GTS needs a 450w PSU with 1 6pin PCIE cable.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What do you think you're doing with that comment? Not starting a PC\Mac war? Apple neglects to say some things themselves. And so does every other company in this world.

I looked into buying a mac. The Alienware I did buy, was half the price, and twice as powerful. My girls Macbook is pretty cool, but it cost her $500 more than my laptop, and it's not even close to as powerful. So say what you will, but I will stick with my PC. Back on topic?

So hows about them system requirements.
    Sweet.:) I am with you.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What do you think you're doing with that comment? Not starting a PC\Mac war? Apple neglects to say some things themselves. And so does every other company in this world.

I looked into buying a mac. The Alienware I did buy, was half the price, and twice as powerful. My girls Macbook is pretty cool, but it cost her $500 more than my laptop, and it's not even close to as powerful. So say what you will, but I will stick with my PC. Back on topic?

So hows about them system requirements.
    jpalko wrote: »
    I don't care if Windows is de facto, I'm just not interested in paying for Windows. I only see a wasted possibility to be something better than other game producers have opted for.

I don't care if wine/cedega/crossover runs this, it's not native. OpenGL is supported on all OS platforms and would still enable making the game for all of these.

I find it sad that a Linux fan, such as you claim yourself to be, starts bashing a Linux user who just says that pity the game won't release on the OS that I use and would be willing to pay money for playing on it.

Why are you even here? This is a PC - Xbox 360 game. It never was slated for the MAC. If you want it on the MAC then start a new thread or start a write-in campaign and ask nicely. We don't need a flame war here. It's not our fault that Windows has 97 percent of the world market, 90 percent USA. You know that if the MAC gets this game it will be a year or two after the developers get their money. Since it's an MMO you may see it one day.

They may wish to see how Eve Online does with their MAC and Linux version first. If they make money who knows.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Specimen1 wrote: »
    Hmm this sort of question is probably asked freqently,
    should I be worried with these specs?

Intel Core 2 Duo T7500
    Nvidia Geforce 9500M GS 512 MB
    4GB DDR2

These are specs from my laptop.

I was thinking about buying a decent desktop in february just
    to play STO in all it's glory.

Tnx in advance

You're okay.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    FFN wrote: »
    I was wondering - do many of the people in this thread simply don't play games/don't play modern games or what? By modern standards, STO's requirements are relatively normal for a reasonably recent system (though the recommended specs would be a system bought within the last year or so).

It would be ridiculously impractical of Cryptic to support platforms with small user bases like Linux, though. Not to mention not cost-effective and unprofitable.
    The recommend requirement are more for a system that's like 2 - 3 years old. Those 8400GS card are bargain sub $50.00. Gaming card are usually start around $150.00.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    FFN wrote: »
    I was wondering - do many of the people in this thread simply don't play games/don't play modern games or what? By modern standards, STO's requirements are relatively normal for a reasonably recent system (though the recommended specs would be a system bought within the last year or so).

It would be ridiculously impractical of Cryptic to support platforms with small user bases like Linux, though. Not to mention not cost-effective and unprofitable.
    pompel9 wrote: »
    Looks like I can play this fairly good. But I'm not sure. Anybody out there that can look at my specs and see if I can play this game.
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2,70 GHz
    RAM: 2 GB
    Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT

The Windows test shows an index of 4.8. If that Is any help to determine my setup.

Thank in advance for any input.
    Your okay. The graphic won't be the best. I would recommend upgrading the GPU to a 9800 GT. 9600 GT is the entry level gaming card.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You're not going to find that machine because 8800 card are no longer been used in new builds. It's like a two years old machine. And same for the CPUs. If the system has a dual core CPU (AMD or Intel) and 9600 GT or better (I would go with a 9800 GT, 250 GTS or ATI 4850) with 2GB of RAM minimal you will most likely be alright.

Something like is would be a good guide line would be okay.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229139

Now I build my own systems too. Just remember to buy it from a place that knows PCs. As much as I hate Fry's I would buy a system from them then Bestbuy.

You could buy system for like $500-$650 and add a graphic card to it. Just make sure the PSU support your card. A 9800 GT or 250 GTS needs a 450w PSU with 1 6pin PCIE cable.

Is there a way you can find out the ouput of your psu?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    epsmith wrote:
    If you have a Dell or HP/Compaq you can check out are website support page and trying service tag or serial number. If not you're have to open up the system look at the psu. You may need to remove it to see it to see it. Be very careful if you do this. Unplug all cables before opening the system. Ground yourself by touch metal for a few seconds. Don't work om carpet.

If it's really dusty you could blow out the system with a can for air. Just wait a minute or two before power the system back up.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899888208&cm_re=canned_air-_-99-888-208-_-Product
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    GAHHH! My TRIBBLE mac can't handle this...Need...build...PC....>_<
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Why? Windows is just a rip-off from mac.

Anyways I'm sure it won't take long for them to even make the game available for mac users and remember. The game will have a different requirement setting as Mac doesn't need as much as windows does.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    epsmith wrote:
    If a program reads your CPU as 5.8GHz, then it's either a buggy program or your motherboard is faulty. No CPU in consumer systems can reach 5.8GHz even with insane cooling.

As for your Pentium 4 and ATI 3450, sorry, your system will run STO so slowly that it will be almost unplayable. Sure, you'll probably be able to install and play STO, but it won't be enjoyably on that PC.

For $400 you can probably get a new PC that will play STO just fine.
    These program take multi-core cpus and combine the cores speeds. So if you have a dual with 2.5Ghz per core you have a 5GHz cpu.

Now Intel P4 HT cpus are not multi-core. It tricks the OS in thinking it is. So your score is really false.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    McCartney wrote: »

Anyways I'm sure it won't take long for them to even make the game available for mac users and remember. The game will have a different requirement setting as Mac doesn't need as much as windows does.

Please, don't start the PC vs. Mac war here. Take that to other forums. You've said false things in one post now are just stating opinions unrelated to this thread in an attempt to start a flame war. No thank you.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    McCartney wrote: »

You really want to start up a flame war don't you? Keep your Windows vs. Mac opinions to yourself please. Mac shouldn't even be discussed, as this game so far is not being released on that OS.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Why are you even here? This is a PC - Xbox 360 game. It never was slated for the MAC. If you want it on the MAC then start a new thread or start a write-in campaign and ask nicely. We don't need a flame war here. It's not our fault that Windows has 97 percent of the world market, 90 percent USA. You know that if the MAC gets this game it will be a year or two after the developers get their money. Since it's an MMO you may see it one day.

They may wish to see how Eve Online does with their MAC and Linux version first. If they make money who knows.

PC is not only Windows. ;) PC is Windows, Linux, OpenSolaris, BSD's and possibly something other. If you don't need a flame war, don't start one yourself either. :)

There was no flame war attempt in my postings and I'm not trying it now either. They were simply statements that there are users of other OS's as well and we'd like to play the game as well. You think our needs are listened to without talking of them somewhere?

I have not been saying that any OS is better than another. What I am saying is that some of us prefer to use another OS. I'm not not saying that Cryptic should start doing Linux and Mac games. Instead I'm saying that if they enabled their games to work on more than one OS, it would make their games available to a broader market. And who's to say what the future brings us, personally I don't find Microsoft a corporation of the Star Trek future. Then again saying that stop using Microsoft is not very Star Trek stylish either so I'm not saying that either.

Eve Online Mac & Linux versions are/were not real native games. They even stopped doing the Linux version when they couldn't get their cedega version working as well as basic Wine version did. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well it looks like I will be able to handle this game. I do intend to upgrade my processor to the Intel E8400, but my current CPU will do fine for now.

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.9 GHz ( OC'd to 3.5 Ghz ). FSB speed 1281. 33 C. at idle, 62 C. at maximum load. Stable w/ no errors after extreme burn test for 35 minutes.

4 GB of OCZ Blade Series RAM - 800 MHz ( OC'd to 961 MHz ). Tight timings at 4-4-4-12, 2.1 volts. Stable w/ no errors.

MSI 9800 GT at 550, 1375, 900 ( OC'd at 580, 1450, 1001 ). Idle 45C., 65 C. under maximum load. Stable w/ no errors.

ASUS mobo capable of 1600 MHz FSB. Highly upgradeable.

Seagate Barracuda HD 320 GB

Generic PSU, 550 watts

Basically, I feel that I have everything necessary, and with the E8400 chip ( which STO recommends ), I should be able to reach speeds of 3.8 to 4.1 GHz.

See you guys online. Expect to get annihilated.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well it looks like I will be able to handle this game. I do intend to upgrade my processor to the Intel E8400, but my current CPU will do fine for now.

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.9 GHz ( OC'd to 3.5 Ghz ). FSB speed 1281. 33 C. at idle, 62 C. at maximum load. Stable w/ no errors after extreme burn test for 35 minutes.

An upgrade from an E7500 to an E8400 isn't going to do much for you. They're both the same core type (Wolfdale), and they're both the same speed (approx. 3GHz), but the E8400 is 1300MHz FSB with 6MB L2 while yours is 1066MHz FSB with 3MB L2. You gain very little. I'd save your money.

If you really want to spend money, get a second 9800 GT card (if your motherboard supports SLI) for $50 less than the CPU upgrade you had in mind.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    wrote:
    An upgrade from an E7500 to an E8400 isn't going to do much for you. They're both the same core type (Wolfdale), and they're both the same speed (approx. 3GHz), but the E8400 is 1300MHz FSB with 6MB L2 while yours is 1066MHz FSB with 3MB L2. You gain very little. I'd save your money.

If you really want to spend money, get a second 9800 GT card (if your motherboard supports SLI) for $50 less than the CPU upgrade you had in mind.
    You are mostly correct, and I appreciate your imput and will take it into consideration. Albeit, the E8400 will take a pretty serious overclock - did it on another comp for a friend of mine. I ran multiple burn tests on said chip, and found it unbelievably stable for overclocking. Perhaps STO knows this chip's quality. Actually the E8400 is most likely overkill for this game. In that regard you are certainly correct. But the FSB of the 8400 and the extra cache would certainly help.

No, I never SLI. Two cards is always nice, but it does get a tad expensive modding comps. So I prefer to use it on other parts. I am however considering EVGA's GTX 260.

Thank you for your comment.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    PC is not only Windows. ;) PC is Windows, Linux, OpenSolaris, BSD's and possibly something other. If you don't need a flame war, don't start one yourself either. :)

There was no flame war attempt in my postings and I'm not trying it now either. They were simply statements that there are users of other OS's as well and we'd like to play the game as well. You think our needs are listened to without talking of them somewhere?

Eve Online Mac & Linux versions are not real native games. They even stopped doing the Linux version when they couldn't get their cedega version working as well as basic Wine version did. :D

No one here is saying that the MAC shouldn't get games. I am PC gamer who can't play Halo 3 because of Microsoft. We used to get all the great games till MS started buying all those game studios and made them Xbox only. So we understand your frustration. I have signed petitions to get Halo 3 for the PC. On the Games for Windows and Windows 7 forums I posted my frustration over MS broken promise to promote cross-platform gaming with Xbox. And how they fail to revitalize the PC gaming market. But, I did not hijack a thread to do this. I start a new one.

This which OS is better Cr*p needs to stop. If Apple really wants their OS in every home they need to start doing hackintosh. The hardware cost is repulsion. Charging $50-$200 more for same RAM PC uses just because they put a apple logo on it and their customers don't know any better. This is not special ram. These RAM manufactures bid to get the Apple logo. Buffalo was once apple ram. I just check the Apple Store. They are selling a 1TB SATA HDD for $299.00. I could buy that for less then $100.00 easy. If I was you I would be more mad at Apple and not MS for that.

Steve Jobs stolen the GUI and mouse from Xerox. Bill Gates steal it from him. Apple lost that lawsuit to MS. "Pirates of Silicon Valley" was started by Steve Jobs. Steve Jobs "Good artists copy; great artists steal."

I have a love hate relationship with MS but, it wasn't for MS we would be paying $5,000-$10,000 for a PC. It would only be Apple and IBM and most likely IBM would have found away to kill Apple. Without MS we most likely would not have the internet as we do now. Or Linux. So as much as I damn MS, I also thank God for them.

I was born, raise, and live in Silicon Valley and love it history here.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No one here is saying that the MAC shouldn't get games. I am PC gamer who can't play Halo 3 because of Microsoft. We used to get all the great games till MS started buying all those game studios and made them Xbox only. So we understand your frustration. I have signed petitions to get Halo 3 for the PC. On the Games for Windows and Windows 7 forums I posted my frustration over MS broken promise to promote cross-platform gaming with Xbox. And how they fail to revitalize the PC gaming market. But, I did not hijack a thread to do this. I start a new one.

This which OS is better Cr*p needs to stop. If Apple really wants their OS in every home they need to start doing hackintosh. The hardware cost is repulsion. Charging $50-$200 more for same RAM PC uses just because they put a apple logo on it and their customers don't know any better. This is not special ram. These RAM manufactures bid to get the Apple logo. Buffalo was once apple ram. I just check the Apple Store. They are selling a 1TB SATA HDD for $299.00. I could buy that for less then $100.00 easy. If I was you I would be more mad at Apple and not MS for that.

Steve Jobs stolen the GUI and mouse from Xerox. Bill Gates steal it from him. Steve Jobs "Good artists copy; great artists steal." Apple lost that lawsuit to MS.

I have a love hate relationship with MS but, it wasn't for MS we would be paying $5,000-$10,000 for a PC. It would only be Apple and IBM and most likely IBM would have found away to kill Apple. Without MS we most likely would not have the internet as we do now. So as much as I damn MS, I also thank God for them.

I would also add that Microsoft would not be the company it is now if it weren't for such efforts as Solaris, OpenSolaris, BSD's and Linux and a plethora of other attempts. This goes also the other way. :)

I have not been saying that any OS is better than another. What I am saying is that some of us prefer to use another OS. I'm not not saying that Cryptic should start doing Linux and Mac games. Instead I'm saying that if they enabled their games to work on more than one OS, it would make their games available to a broader market. And who's to say what the future brings us, personally I don't find Microsoft a corporation of the Star Trek future. Then again saying that stop using Microsoft is not very Star Trek stylish either so I'm not saying that either.

I did not have an intention to hijack this thread to another discussion and I think the discussion has been good on the matter. My original comment was directly related to the hardware and software specification of the game and stating that it won't be unfortunately available for me.

However, at this point I see little use to continue the discussion on Linux and Mac support also in this thread as it is apparent there is none.

Unfortunately I see also little point in following up on multiple threads on this forum as it has become apparent that there is nothing awaiting for me yet on this frontier. :) I will gladly return to discuss matters and join all of you who will be playing STO if the game availability should change in the future. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Eve Online Mac & Linux versions are/were not real native games. They even stopped doing the Linux version when they couldn't get their cedega version working as well as basic Wine version did. :D

Competitions is good. I am hoping that Googles new OS will give MS a run for their money.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Competitions is good. I am hoping that Googles new OS will give MS a run for their money.

I'm interested to see the results of that Linux effort also. Just hope they keep up with the "tradition" of sharing their improvements. :)

Forgot to say that I will stop bothering this thread unless of course someone responds to my postings when I tend to reply. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Cipher Nemo:

Those are some pretty serious specs for your comp. You could play STO easiliy on ultra high settings. Your frame rate must be pretty darn good. You definatley put some serious cash in that machine.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ok, I have a Nvidia GeForce 8M, 4GB of ram, 2.0 ghz amd turion dual core x64, running windows 7 home premium 64. Can my pc run the game with these specs? (btw, will there be a ps3 version of the game?)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I could really use some advice. I'm losing sleep over this.

Hours before I found the system requirements for STO I ordered a new HP laptop. Everything is upgraded. The specs are below. To me the weak point is the graphics card. Given STO is an MMO I thought this card would be more than enough but the system requiements they released are confusing at best and higher than I suspected. Since I"m buying this laptop with the intent of playing STO I really don't want to settle for medium graphics.

According to this the Nvidia 230m in my ordered laptop counts as "high end":
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

But in this searchable list it seems to fall below the ATI X1800 and any Nvidia 7950 cards I could find.
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

The 820QM turbos to 3 GHZ so I'm not really worried about that. It's the graphics card that troubles me.

So the question is...do I cancel the order? I bought Champions Online to try on the new laptop. If that were to run on high settings would that speak highly for the graphics card since I understand they use the same engine as STO? Is the fact that the laptop has lower resolution than many desktops going to help with keeping framerates higher?

Bonus question: If this laptop isn't going to cut it, what would? I'm trying to find a 17" laptop for gaming with the core i7. So far I found Sager but I don't know anything about them. I could wait for the Alienware 17x to come out or get the current 15x version. Basically I'd like to buy from someone I know like HP or Dell, but I'd also like a graphics card that handles the game well. The HP Envy has an ATI 4830 which seems better than the 230m but maybe not good enough?

Any help would be hugely appreciated! I paid a lot for this laptop (for me) so I'd rather not settle for "yeah, it's playable". I'd rather have some wow factor when I see the graphics.

Thanks for your help! I'll help you fight the Borg. Did I say thanks for your help?

# Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-820QM Processor (1.73GHz, 8MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
    # • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    # • 1TB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (500GB x 2) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    # • 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
    # • 18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I hope some of you can point me in the right direction.

I know enougph about comps to cause trouble I mean I can take apart a pc and put it back together in my sleep but I'm not up on the new technology. I would like to build a nice speedy little rig and not break the bank. I pretty much know what I want for a video card Nvidia gtx2 series and a 500 or 600w psu and at least 4gig of ram . I'm confused as to what cpu to get Intel i5 seems to be a lot cheaper than i7 and the AMD Phenom x4 black series looks to be a nice deal also and as for mobo's I'm totally lost. What about a case do I need to be concerned about mobo and case compatabilty?

Any help in this endevor would be much appreciated.
    Thank you all in advance.
    E
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    fatTribble wrote:
    I could really use some advice. I'm losing sleep over this.

Hours before I found the system requirements for STO I ordered a new HP laptop. Everything is upgraded. The specs are below. To me the weak point is the graphics card. Given STO is an MMO I thought this card would be more than enough but the system requiements they released are confusing at best and higher than I suspected. Since I"m buying this laptop with the intent of playing STO I really don't want to settle for medium graphics.

According to this the Nvidia 230m in my ordered laptop counts as "high end":
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

But in this searchable list it seems to fall below the ATI X1800 and any Nvidia 7950 cards I could find.
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

The 820QM turbos to 3 GHZ so I'm not really worried about that. It's the graphics card that troubles me.

So the question is...do I cancel the order? I bought Champions Online to try on the new laptop. If that were to run on high settings would that speak highly for the graphics card since I understand they use the same engine as STO? Is the fact that the laptop has lower resolution than many desktops going to help with keeping framerates higher?

Bonus question: If this laptop isn't going to cut it, what would? I'm trying to find a 17" laptop for gaming with the core i7. So far I found Sager but I don't know anything about them. I could wait for the Alienware 17x to come out or get the current 15x version. Basically I'd like to buy from someone I know like HP or Dell, but I'd also like a graphics card that handles the game well. The HP Envy has an ATI 4830 which seems better than the 230m but maybe not good enough?

Any help would be hugely appreciated! I paid a lot for this laptop (for me) so I'd rather not settle for "yeah, it's playable". I'd rather have some wow factor when I see the graphics.

Thanks for your help! I'll help you fight the Borg. Did I say thanks for your help?

# Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-820QM Processor (1.73GHz, 8MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
    # • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    # • 1TB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (500GB x 2) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    # • 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
    # • 18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)

Are you kidding me. That graphic chip great for this game.

Now the best Nvidia laptop gpu has is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280M chip. If you can afford a system with that gpu go for it. But the current system you have order will be more then enough.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    epsmith wrote:

I know enougph about comps to cause trouble I mean I can take apart a pc and put it back together in my sleep but I'm not up on the new technology. I would like to build a nice speedy little rig and not break the bank. I pretty much know what I want for a video card Nvidia gtx2 series and a 500 or 600w psu and at least 4gig of ram . I'm confused as to what cpu to get Intel i5 seems to be a lot cheaper than i7 and the AMD Phenom x4 black series looks to be a nice deal also and as for mobo's I'm totally lost. What about a case do I need to be concerned about mobo and case compatabilty?

E

The great debate which CPU to go for. There’s no question the Intel’s I7s are better then AMD Phenom II. But, do you really need an I7. Now let’s be clear, the basic technology behind Intel’s mutli-core 32 bit/64-bit processers is AMD technology. Is this a fact which Intel has stated it could use because of the x86 agreement it has with AMD. AMD sued and just is past week Intel settles for $1.5b.

Now cost of an AMD vs. Intel system. I just build an AMD system because of price. I have to decide what I really need to do this my machine. Do I need two or more graphic cards? The problem with having multiples GPUs is cost, heat, and power consumption. Now heat from two cards will warm your bedroom for the winter and bake you in the summer. I was running two 7950 and it was really hot. You will also need a case with can keep these cards cool. Don’t go liquid, maintained is a pain. The PSU will need to be able handle these cards. The electric bill will increase. This can get really expenses. I am no longer running two cards.

If you want SLI you will need to go the I5/I7 route most likely. ASUS does have an NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI MB M4N82 Deluxe which will let you have AMD and SLI.

You can do both SLI and Crossfire on an I5/I7 board. DDR2 ram is cheaper then DDR3 but you can find on sale. I7 needs three sticks of ram. I5 and AMD only need two sticks. A huge cost difference.

You can not build an I7/I5 for under $1000.00. As you can see from my specs below I was able to build a new system for $500.00 because I recycle my case, hard drives, DVDs, PSU and went with DDR2. If I tried this with an I7 it would have cost me $350-$500 more.

Will you see a performances difference between I7 and Phenom II? Most likely not, unless you are doing professional graphic design or video edited. The GPU is more important for these functions anyway.

That being said I recommend AMD over Intel on a cost vs. performance issue. If you have $1500 plus and can afford an I7 go for it.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    epsmith wrote:

E

Cases: Today’s motherboards come in four form factors ATX 305x244 mm, EATX 305×330 mm, mircoATX 171x171 or 244x244 mm, and BTX 325x266 mm. You probability will not get a BTX. These are not available in stores. A mid size case will fit an ATX and mircoATX boards. Some mid size case will fit an EATX but it will be a tight. A Full Tower will be able to fix all these sizes. I like room to work with.

Pick your parts then look at the cases you like. A good cheap case that can handle most anything is Antec Nine Hundred ($99.99). It’s not the prettiest case out there but it will work.

Really picking a case is hard. Looks, cooling, features. My dream case right now is the Cooler Master 840 ATCS. It’s big, removable MB tray. Hold 6 hard drives, great air cooling, and tool less design. It cost $199.99. I could put four GPU in here. I won’t but I could.

Can’t really recommend a case till you pick your parts. Read reviews.
This discussion has been closed.