Install Arc
Options

System Requirements

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Keko wrote:
    Ok, I have a Nvidia GeForce 8M, 4GB of ram, 2.0 ghz amd turion dual core x64, running windows 7 home premium 64. Can my pc run the game with these specs? (btw, will there be a ps3 version of the game?)
    Which 8M GPU? The 8600 and 8800 no problem. the 8400 is the bargain GPU. It will run on it just maybe not a full setting. Unless you really want to buy a new laptop this xmas I would wait and try in the first.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You are mostly correct, and I appreciate your imput and will take it into consideration. Albeit, the E8400 will take a pretty serious overclock - did it on another comp for a friend of mine. I ran multiple burn tests on said chip, and found it unbelievably stable for overclocking. Perhaps STO knows this chip's quality. Actually the E8400 is most likely overkill for this game. In that regard you are certainly correct. But the FSB of the 8400 and the extra cache would certainly help.

No, I never SLI. Two cards is always nice, but it does get a tad expensive modding comps. So I prefer to use it on other parts. I am however considering EVGA's GTX 260.

Thank you for your comment.

Yup, I avoid SLI as well (have done it in the past), but trying to think of cheap upgrades for your system since 9800 GT cards are cheap right now. I've done 7600 GT in SLI, 8800 GTX in SLI, and then gave up since not all games make use of it and upgrading two cards instead of one is just too expensive. The other problem is that I buy cards from a manufacturer with a "limited lifetime warranty". So if one card dies and they don't have that exact card in stock, they'll send me the next best card which of course will break my SLI.

The GTX 260 would be a good upgrade since you mentioned that. :) If you're thinking about a 260, I'd just go 275 instead (more memory, less heat, and only a little higher on the cost). But if you're thinking about upgrading your E7 to an E8, just save it for a Core i7 or Core i5 upgrade in the future.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    well i hope this will work on my HD4650 1GB DDR2 otherwise ill go nuts
    I would add more memory. 1GB on Windows Vista or Win 7. You should have 2GB min.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    E.kreeger wrote: »
    I know next to nothing about the inner workings of computers. Can someone PM me and let me know if I'll be able to run STO and if not, what I should upgrade and what I should upgrade it to on a cops salary... :o

My very old system:

Win XP Home SP2

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420

Intel P4 2.00 GHz

256 MB RAM

That's a 5 yrs old system. I doubt it would would even load.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Series has less of an effect than the type of card in each series. Since this is a DX9 game, they could use a 6 series card for the minimum requirements, such as a 6800.

I think the person writing these system requirements knows very little about PC gaming hardware. It's demonstrated by their CPU, video, and DVD player requirements.

My guess on this would be...

Minimum:

Intel or AMD single or dual core CPU or better (2.4GHz for single core, 1.8GHz for dual core)
    1GB of RAM for Windows XP, 2GB or RAM for Windows Vista or Windows 7
    NVIDIA 6800, ATI 1800, or better cards for 1280x1024 or 1440x900 resolutions or less
    8GB of hard drive space
    56k dial-up
    DVD-ROM or better optical drive for retail package, none required for download

Recommended:

Intel or AMD dual or quad core CPU, 2.4GHz or better, 2GHz or better for Core i7 or Phenom X4
    2GB of RAM for Windows XP, 4GB of RAM for Windows Vista or Windows 7
    NVIDIA 8800 GT, ATI 3850, or better for 1600x1200 or 1680x1050 resolutions or less
    8GB of hard drive space
    Broadband Internet connection
    4x DVD-ROM or better optical drive for retail package, none required for download
    DX9 compatible sound chip or card that supports EAX 2.0 or later

We don't need a sound card to play the game. We don't need a 6x DVD drive to install software, and we don't need a 7950 NVIDIA card (ROFLOL on that mess-up requirement).
    I basically agree with you except for the dial-up. If they lagging the server will should boot them. I have played against dial-up in Freelancer. They jump all over the place. I hit them with enough firepower to destroy cities and they just won't don't die.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I basically agree with you except for the dial-up. If they lagging the server will should boot them. I have played against dial-up in Freelancer. They jump all over the place. I hit them with enough firepower to destroy cities and they just won't don't die.

I hate dial-up too, but it's really not necessary for MMOs. It all depends on how good their dial-up service is. I've seen some that are just fine, and I've seen others that are horrid. *hugs his broadband* :)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Are you kidding me. That graphic chip great for this game.

Now the best Nvidia laptop gpu has is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280M chip. If you can afford a system with that gpu go for it. But the current system you have order will be more then enough.
    Thanks for the quick reply. According to that videocardbenchmark site my Nvidia 230m falls below any of the 7950s or the ATI X1800. I shouldn't worry?

The 230m seems like a reasonably good card to me. It has Physx including. I'm just confused that such a new card would fall below what Cryptic is saying we'll need to run the game.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    REPLY TO CIPHER_NEMO

Well, I have decided that you are right about the processor as far as keeping the one I have. Its a great overclock that's very stable - so why bother getting another? It really screams and my FPS are in the mid to upper 50's. I recommend the E7500 to anyone looking for an affordable overclocker, which in retrospect is exactly what OC'ing is about.

Actually, I think STO's recommendation of the E8400 is slightly overkill. Look at the min. specs compared to the recommended - its like night and day.

I have decided on the GTX 260, but will wait for the prices to drop... they always do. With the economy the way it is, I suspect that the 260 will be about $140.00 sometime next year. Besides, I have basically met all of the recommended reqs. anyway.

Live long and prosper.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Which 8M GPU? The 8600 and 8800 no problem. the 8400 is the bargain GPU. It will run on it just maybe not a full setting. Unless you really want to buy a new laptop this xmas I would wait and try in the first.
    Its a GeForce 8200M G. Would that be enough to run with little or no lag (talking about on the lowest setting of course)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Keko wrote:
    Its a GeForce 8200M G. Would that be enough to run with little or no lag (talking about on the lowest setting of course)
    The 8200M G is not a gaming chip. It's nvidia lowest GPU in the 8000 series marketed as "value". If this was WOW no problem. STO will probability play but at the lowest setting.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    fatTribble wrote:
    Thanks for the quick reply. According to that videocardbenchmark site my Nvidia 230m falls below any of the 7950s or the ATI X1800. I shouldn't worry?

The 230m seems like a reasonably good card to me. It has Physx including. I'm just confused that such a new card would fall below what Cryptic is saying we'll need to run the game.

notebookcheck.net-

"The performance of the middle class gpu GT 230M should be somewhere between the GeForce GT130M and the 9700M GTS and below the GT 240M because of the lower clock rate. Demanding DirectX 10 games like Crysis should run fluently in medium details. Older or less demanding games should run in high detail settings and high resolutions."

If this chip can play Crysis at medium details I think is it's more then enough for STO. That being said I haven't played STO so what do I know. ;) You should be okay.

This is where you should thanks AMD/ATI for making nvidia to make better GPU at lower prices.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Pontious wrote: »
    Or has anybody found a PC that has all the recommended (not minimum) specs at like Dell or HP or Asus? I've been looking like heck, but nothing.

If somebody finds one, please pass it on!

lokk up ibuypower.com. good customer service some good system towers at reasonable prices. all the way up to totaly awsome towers at insane prices
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    ok because i know sod all about pc's, ill need to ask if my rig can handle this game. I have :

Windows XP SP2
    AMD Athlon 7850 Dual-Core processor 2.81 GHz
    2 GB of ram
    Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT graphics card.

anything more than that i couldnt tell ya. just wanna know if my pc can handle this game on minimum specs or maximum or not at all. thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Coorta wrote: »
    ok because i know sod all about pc's, ill need to ask if my rig can handle this game. I have :

Windows XP SP2
    AMD Athlon 7850 Dual-Core processor 2.81 GHz
    2 GB of ram
    Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT graphics card.

anything more than that i couldnt tell ya. just wanna know if my pc can handle this game on minimum specs or maximum or not at all. thanks in advance.

You're OK. I would suggest upgrading the GPU to 9600 GT or 9800 GT. So you could run higher settings. Try the game first.

Check this site out:
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srl
    Run the Champions Online test.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    We bought a custom made computer in 2k4. It came with 2.0Ghz Athlon, 1GB RAM, 500GB HD. Since then, the only things that's ever happened were... The hard drive died, the sound card died, the graphic card died, a fan or two died, the ethernet port died, the PS/2 ports died, and that's all I can remember. Yet, I am still using it now. I accept that my computer is too much of a piece of **** to run this game. With minor upgrades or not, yall should start accepting that a 2010 game aint gonna run on your pre-2k5 systems. I also accept that my second hand, busted to hell TiBook wont run STO either.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It will play fine just not with all the bells and whistles. That normal for laptops unless you spend $2500.00 on a laptop.

Thanks WK, I don't intend to spend that much on a computer ...not even close.

I intend to buy a setup similar to this one and it's not a "gaming rig" but does go beyond a basic computer. Someone suggested a Intel Core 2 Quad or a Intel Core i7 CPU and they are out of the question; the first is for desktops and the second is for really high-end rigs that exceed my US $1,000 budget.

However I am puzzled as to why STO's requirements include DX 9. If you check the link provided, the graphics cards that used it, ATi Radeon 9000 and nVidia GeForce 7 series, were released respectively in 2002 and 2005. If graphics doesn't use 9 anymore then why should the sound?

Sound: DirectX 9.0c
    Compatible Soundcard DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    McCartney wrote: »
    Anyways I'm sure it won't take long for them to even make the game available for mac users and remember. The game will have a different requirement setting as Mac doesn't need as much as windows does.
    CarbonKid wrote: »
    GAHHH! My TRIBBLE mac can't handle this...Need...build...a...PC....>_<
    Will mac users ever get any love?

Uhh correct me if I'm wrong but don't Macs use Intel processors nowadays?

So STO won't be Mac compatible in the initial release. So? Find a workaround.

Buy a copy of Windows, and then STO. Then boot into Win whenever you want to play.

Is it any wonder that the Borg find us humans weak because we can't (or won't) adapt as easily as they do?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    My dual-core processors are Athalon 4600s, so I'm between the Requred and Recommended settings...but everything else I'm good on. Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, 3GB memory, over 100GB free space on my HDD, GPU is GeForce 9400 GT (won't be max settings, but it should still run midlevel pretty well, which is all I need)...yup! I'm set to play!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I have decided on the GTX 260, but will wait for the prices to drop... they always do. With the economy the way it is, I suspect that the 260 will be about $140.00 sometime next year. Besides, I have basically met all of the recommended reqs. anyway.

You'll be happy with the GTX 260. :) The 2xx series generation from NVIDIA is a nice step up from the 8xxx line. The 8 and 9 series NVIDIA cards were almost the same thing in terms of technology.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    my systerm should be ok
    win XP
    CPU E2200 @ 2.45GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
    Display Memory: 512.0 MB

may update my gfx card but we will see
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    hmm well memory is not a problem, i have a core 2 duo (2.66) not sure which it is exactly will check. However on graphics still using 7600gt, think ill have to look at either 8600 or 8800 cards as they seems to get mentioned a few times in previous posts.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    my systerm should be ok
    win XP
    CPU E2200 @ 2.45GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
    Display Memory: 512.0 MB

may update my gfx card but we will see

Well, according to Cryptic's system requirements, your video card is not capabale. Of course I'm sure it will run STO at lower graphics settings on a low to moderate resolution. But that's the first thing I'd upgrade in your PC. Your CPU is fairly weak, but it will work. Memory is fine if you're running Windows XP. For Vista or Windows 7, I'd add memory.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Uhh correct me if I'm wrong but don't Macs use Intel processors nowadays?

So STO won't be Mac compatible in the initial release. So? Find a workaround.

Buy a copy of Windows, and then STO. Then boot into Win whenever you want to play.

Is it any wonder that the Borg find us humans weak because we can't (or won't) adapt as easily as they do?
    The MAC users know this. They want native support. They can also use Wine. Lets not start this again. Stay away from MAC topics on the forum!!! You will start a flame war!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks WK, I don't intend to spend that much on a computer ...not even close.

I intend to buy a setup similar to this one and it's not a "gaming rig" but does go beyond a basic computer. Someone suggested a Intel Core 2 Quad or a Intel Core i7 CPU and they are out of the question; the first is for desktops and the second is for really high-end rigs that exceed my US $1,000 budget.

However I am puzzled as to why STO's requirements include DX 9. If you check the link provided, the graphics cards that used it, ATi Radeon 9000 and nVidia GeForce 7 series, were released respectively in 2002 and 2005. If graphics doesn't use 9 anymore then why should the sound?

Sound: DirectX 9.0c
    Compatible Soundcard DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher

XP does not support DX 10. XP is still the most used OS.

notebookcheck.net-

"The gaming performance of the GPU lies a bit below the HD 4670. Most DirectX 9 games (like Call of Duty 4, F.E.A.R., or Unreal Tournament 3) should be playable in medium to high details (in 1024x768). Demanding DX10 games from 2008 like Crysis run only in low-medium details fluently."

This will work though with a AMD/ATI laptop you may get a HD 4800 series for around same money. But Sony and Toshiba Laptop screens are so beautiful to work on. You should like this laptop a lot.

As for a Desktop I would go AMD. If you look at my specs you could build a new system for under $1000.00 easy. Not counting the monitor.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    gibb0 wrote: »
    hmm well memory is not a problem, i have a core 2 duo (2.66) not sure which it is exactly will check. However on graphics still using 7600gt, think ill have to look at either 8600 or 8800 cards as they seems to get mentioned a few times in previous posts.
    Those are 2 yrs old cards. I would recommend 9600 GT or 9800 GT. Just make sure your PSU support what ever GPU you choose.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Many of you have probably seen these sites, but if anyone is wondering whether their system will meet the requirements:

This site has Star Trek Online as an option. It will run an activeX control to check your system:
    http://www.yougamers.com

This site has Champions Online (similar specs to STO) but not yet STO:
    http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/

Maybe someone else on the forum can speak to the accuracy of these sites. They seemed to get confused by the Core i7. The site thinks they're too slow because it doesn't seem to know about the Turbo.

Personally, I tried the CO specs on the laptop I ordered (courtesy of Best Buy :rolleyes:). I was happy to see that the new laptop exceeds the CO specs. Although I'm still puzzled since the benchmarks for the recommended cards blow away my NV 230m. Maybe a rocket scientist on the forum could explain that.

Is it 2/2/10 yet?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    do you think ill be able to run STO.

p4 550 3.4 ghz with hyper-threading
    3gig pc3200 ddr ram
    nvidia geforce 8500gt

lol nm i just did that yougames thing and it says it wont lol
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    do you think ill be able to run STO.

p4 550 3.4 ghz with hyper-threading
    3gig pc3200 ddr ram
    nvidia geforce 8500gt

lol nm i just did that yougames thing and it says it wont lol
    Base on the System Requirements no. P4 HT is not a dual-core cpu.
    Go to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srl
    And run the Champions Online test.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    fatTribble wrote:
    Many of you have probably seen these sites, but if anyone is wondering whether their system will meet the requirements:

This site has Star Trek Online as an option. It will run an activeX control to check your system:
    http://www.yougamers.com

This site has Champions Online (similar specs to STO) but not yet STO:
    http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/

Maybe someone else on the forum can speak to the accuracy of these sites. They seemed to get confused by the Core i7. The site thinks they're too slow because it doesn't seem to know about the Turbo.

Personally, I tried the CO specs on the laptop I ordered (courtesy of Best Buy :rolleyes:). I was happy to see that the new laptop exceeds the CO specs. Although I'm still puzzled since the benchmarks for the recommended cards blow away my NV 230m. Maybe a rocket scientist on the forum could explain that.

Is it 2/2/10 yet?

Because there are a lot of cards that are more powerful and it's a mobile GPU. Mobile GPU are not as powerful as real cards. They can't be, the heat would kill them. 9800 GT is more powerful an a 230m. It's apples to oranges.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I am not sure I trust this site. For Champion Online to run "Optimized" it says I need a AMD Phenom II X4 910. They provide a link to CDW which is so over price. They're own by Futuremark, makers on 3DMark.
This discussion has been closed.