What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

System Requirements

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Paid for a new computer yesterday, now I am only waiting for the parts to drop in @ home :D

Some specs:
    CPU: Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-860, 2,80GHz
    RAM: DDR3 4GB
    GFX CARD: XFX Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5

I think that I will be able to play STO with at least medium Graphics ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Those are 2 yrs old cards. I would recommend 9600 GT or 9800 GT. Just make sure your PSU support what ever GPU you choose.

cheers pal well get in order in shortly
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Paid for a new computer yesterday, now I am only waiting for the parts to drop in @ home :D

Some specs:
    CPU: Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-860, 2,80GHz
    RAM: DDR3 4GB
    GFX CARD: XFX Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5

I think that I will be able to play STO with at least medium Graphics ;)

Um, more like settings maxed. :p Although that's a very nice PC, it's overkill for STO unless you're running something like a 2560x1600 monitor.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Will the game be available for macs or is it only on pc?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm not that good with PC hardware, so could someone help me out with telling me if I'm fitting minimum or recommended?

* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.20 GHz
    * Memory: 2GB RAM
    * Video: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M
    * Sound: Direct x 10
    * DirectX: Direct x 10
    * HDD: 41GB Free Disk Space

So these are my specs, hopefully they're good enough. They can run EVE Online at good quality, so hopefully STO works! Thanks to anyone who can help confirm if this is good enough!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    cluekid wrote: »
    Will the game be available for macs or is it only on pc?

I hope so, prolly will in the long run. And if not I'm sure there will be people smart enough to convert it to mac. As mostly u only need to change some files like the .exe to a .dmg extension. Than it will be possible to run it, as far I've seen from the system requiremeants, u don't need a lot to run it and mac always use half of what window uses.

Same as u compare CS4 for Windows and Mac. My macbook pro should already be able to handle the settings they have for windows, so maybe with bootcamp u will able ti run it.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm not that good with PC hardware, so could someone help me out with telling me if I'm fitting minimum or recommended?

* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.20 GHz
    * Memory: 2GB RAM
    * Video: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M
    * Sound: Direct x 10
    * DirectX: Direct x 10
    * HDD: 41GB Free Disk Space

So these are my specs, hopefully they're good enough. They can run EVE Online at good quality, so hopefully STO works! Thanks to anyone who can help confirm if this is good enough!

You'd need a new video card. The "Quadro" line from NVIDIA is geared towards OpenGL and acceleration of CAD and scientific applications. It's not a gaming card.

Your CPU is fine, even if a little slow. Shouldn't cause you any problems. OS and memory is fine. Since memory is cheap I'd bump up to 4GB even though you're running a 32-bit OS. That will help give some memory to the OS and the full amount of 32-bit addressing to STO.

Also, you have enough room to install it, but it looks like your hard drive is getting close to being full, and that will slow things down. Get another one (they're cheap for moderate sizes), then install STO and any applications in the future on it.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    McCartney wrote: »
    I hope so, prolly will in the long run. And if not I'm sure there will be people smart enough to convert it to mac. As mostly u only need to change some files like the .exe to a .dmg extension. Than it will be possible to run it, as far I've seen from the system requiremeants, u don't need a lot to run it and mac always use half of what window uses.

Same as u compare CS4 for Windows and Mac. My macbook pro should already be able to handle the settings they have for windows, so maybe with bootcamp u will able ti run it.

You are clearly not a developer, nor do you know anything about what's required to port a game from one platform to another according to your post. You're stating incorrect information. It has nothing to do with just changing files. It's both re-writing and adding a lot of code, let alone all of the company's overhead to support Mac users and a Mac distribution system for their software.

Before I lay out some of the required steps, I must point out that Mac uses OpenGL. This OpenGL started out as a high-level graphics API when compared to DirectX which is and has always been an API to talk directly to the hardware and hardware drivers. Anything running on OpenGL instead of DirectX will take a performance hit unless the game takes this into account and specifically scales rendering differently to accommodate OpenGL's strengths and weaknesses. So this won't be a straight port of rendering from DirectX to OpenGL.

First, Cryptic would most likely have to hire developers who use OpenGL and are familiar with both Mac and *nix development. The other alternative is to train their existing developers for this, but that takes time and is more expensive than hiring additional help.

Second, all rendering would have to be able to toggle between OpenGL and DirectX. This is no easy feat. This is writing brand new OpenGL rendering routines for Cryptic. I'm sorry, but that's the step that will probably never happen.

Third, the code would have to be compiled for a *nix O/S since Mac is really Darwin BSD under its Window Manager and Desktop. Fortunately, with straight C, this is easy. If anything specific was done with Windows' API or one of their libraries (ie: .NET), then this comes back to development to duplicate everything for a *nix O/S.

Forth, an installer for Mac would have to be made from scratch. Probably the easiest step, but nonetheless, it's still a step.

Fifth, Cryptic would have to train their support employees to help customers troubleshoot problems on Macs. Also the documentation team would need to create additional support material (ie: documentation, help files, and the like) specifically for the Mac OS.

If you wanted to run Wine or Cedega on your Mac, you might be able to make STO work, but there's no guarantee the launcher or the updater for the game would work.

Of course if you use Boot Camp to install and boot to a Windows OS on your Mac and you have a DirectX compatible video card, you're probably fine. But then you're running Windows, not Mac OS, and you'd need the meet the hardware requirements as if your Apple hardware was classified as a PC with Windows. And even then, the game would still not supported on a Mac by Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No I'm a graphics Designer. And got some mates who turned GTA San Andreas over for the mac. Anyways also got the latest Imac with a 27inch screen. Which of course is a HD screen as it is with the latest models of mac.

Anyways love to see STO on that baby as well, big is always better.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No I'm a graphics Designer. And got some mates who turned GTA San Andreas over for the mac. Anyways also got the latest Imac with a 27inch screen. Which of course is a HD screen as it is with the latest models of mac.

Anyways love to see STO on that baby as well, big is always better.

How light is your wallet now for that thing?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Got enough money, as said I'm a Graphics designer and earn enough. Anyways money is there to be spend. :P Also have a vista compute with quad core and such. But the lg screen isn't as nice as from the 27inch screen.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Got enough money, as said I'm a Graphics designer and earn enough. Anyways money is there to be spend. :P Also have a vista compute with quad core and such. But the lg screen isn't as nice as from the 27inch screen.
    Upgrade to Windows 7 so you can have two MAC:D This is a joke.

What mac do you have? I would like to see the specs.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Lol, more to say I would have 3 macs than :P Anyways I'm still sure they will make it available for both systems as soon as they see the number of players playing it and to also get the players from the mac side. And I'm sure that number is rising.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Lol, more to say I would have 3 macs than :P Anyways I'm still sure they will make it available for both systems as soon as they see the number of players playing it and to also get the players from the mac side. And I'm sure that number is rising.

I hope they do. What mac do you have? I would like to see the specs.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    sounds and looks good! my comp can handle this, so theres nothing stopping me between now and playing, except for time... :(
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    guess this new comp i bought will pay off nicley, i can now run this no problem
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    (

15-inch: 2.8GHz
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB Memory
    500GB
    SD card slot
    Built-in 7-hour battery2
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M graphics

Could have taken the 17inch version, but that's not as handy as a 15inch screen.

For the Imac 27 inch
    2.66GHz Intel Core i5 (Quad core)
    2560 x 1440 resolution
    16GB memory
    2TB Serial ATA Drive
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics with 512MB

Both are the newest models the Imac is also included with the wireless keyboard, magic mouse and both system got Iwork and CS4 mastersuite.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Any ideas if my laptop will run game with any performance?

Intel core 2 Duo T8300 (2.4)
    4GB RAM
    Nvidia 8600M GT (Looks Like The Problem Point 2 Me)
    Vista Ultimate 64bit

or am i going to have to dust off the old desktop and upgrade it?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    ViperFangz wrote:
    Any ideas if my laptop will run game with any performance?

Intel core 2 Duo T8300 (2.4)
    4GB RAM
    Nvidia 8600M GT (Looks Like The Problem Point 2 Me)
    Vista Ultimate 64bit

or am i going to have to dust off the old desktop and upgrade it?
    Your OK.
    Go here http://www.yougamers.com/?mainnavi=true and run STO test.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    2560 x 1440 resolution
    16GB memory

The 4850 is a very nice card and should run any game via Boot Camp with Windows at that nice, high resolution. :)

Insane overkill on memory for gaming, but probably comes in handy for video editing?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    15-inch: 2.8GHz
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB Memory
    500GB
    SD card slot
    Built-in 7-hour battery2
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M graphics

Could have taken the 17inch version, but that's not as handy as a 15inch screen.

For the Imac 27 inch
    2.66GHz Intel Core i5 (Quad core)
    2560 x 1440 resolution
    16GB memory
    2TB Serial ATA Drive
    8x double-layer SuperDrive

Both are the newest models the Imac is also included with the wireless keyboard, magic mouse and both system got Iwork and CS4 mastersuite.

On the 27" I would had thought you would have gone with the I7.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You'd need a new video card. The "Quadro" line from NVIDIA is geared towards OpenGL and acceleration of CAD and scientific applications. It's not a gaming card.

Your CPU is fine, even if a little slow. Shouldn't cause you any problems. OS and memory is fine. Since memory is cheap I'd bump up to 4GB even though you're running a 32-bit OS. That will help give some memory to the OS and the full amount of 32-bit addressing to STO.

Also, you have enough room to install it, but it looks like your hard drive is getting close to being full, and that will slow things down. Get another one (they're cheap for moderate sizes), then install STO and any applications in the future on it.

Great, thanks for the advice. My quadro does an amazing job on EVE, but I understand that the specs for each are different. I'll probably try it first, and play with the settings to make it work until I find a cheap card to replace it. Know any cheap distributors of videocards?

This is on a laptop with 111 GB of memory, and I'll be getting rid of EVE when going over to STO, so there's another 9 gigs I can use.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Great, thanks for the advice. My quadro does an amazing job on EVE, but I understand that the specs for each are different. I'll probably try it first, and play with the settings to make it work until I find a cheap card to replace it. Know any cheap distributors of videocards?

This is on a laptop with 111 GB of memory, and I'll be getting rid of EVE when going over to STO, so there's another 9 gigs I can use.
    You can't upgrade laptops GPU. There's no way you can have 111 GB of ram. That would cost $1000's of dollars and not possible on a laptop. Maybe on a server? You may be confusing it with the hard drive.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm fine on everything but the graphics card, would a NVIDIA GeForce G100 be suitible?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You can't upgrade laptops GPU. There's no way you can have 111 GB of ram. That would cost $1000's of dollars and not possible on a laptop. Maybe on a server? You may be confusing it with the hard drive.

Sorry for the confusion, that's the Harddrive memory. I'll probably up my RAM to 4 GB like suggested earlier. At this point I'm mostly concerned about graphic ability.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    mkgdodd wrote: »
    I'm fine on everything but the graphics card, would a NVIDIA GeForce G100 be suitible?

No the G100 = 9400 GT. I also believe that's a PCI card. What is your system specs?
    http://www.yougamers.com/?mainnavi=true run the STO test.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sorry for the confusion, that's the Harddrive memory. I'll probably up my RAM to 4 GB like suggested earlier. At this point I'm mostly concerned about graphic ability.

The hard drive is not memory. RAM = Memory. Hard drive = storage. you stated
    "This is on a laptop with 111 GB of memory"
    Not possible with today technology.

Sorry- I wish I could delete this post. Just re-read your post.

Though if it was SSD it would be memory?
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Don't spend more money on your laptop if the GPU won't cut it. It won't help. Take that money and spend it towards a new system.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You're OK. I would suggest upgrading the GPU to 9600 GT or 9800 GT. So you could run higher settings. Try the game first.

Check this site out:
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srl
    Run the Champions Online test.

cheers for the info. I checked the site out and ran the test for champions online and it passed with flying colours for both minimum and recommended. which makes me a very happy man indeed :) Bring on STO and lets see how this baby play's :cool:
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The hard drive is not memory. RAM = Memory. Hard drive = storage. you stated
    "This is on a laptop with 111 GB of memory"
    Not possible with today technology.

Sorry- I wish I could delete this post. Just re-read your post.

Ok, so that means I have 2 gigs RAM/Memory and 41 gigs harddrive/storage. Clear? I'm going to allocate another 2 gigs to act like RAM/Memory closer to release, after all, I have the extra gigs to move around. (I know very little of PC hardware)

Edit: I see an option in the control menus to allocate storage gigs over to RAM, so that's how I plan to do it.
This discussion has been closed.