What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

System Requirements

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Not really, if you think about it. If Apple is so awesome, how come Windows is still the leading OS? Sure, Apples are pretty and all, but they are too expensive. People say how Apple's OSs are the best thing since sliced bread... If that's so, then how come they have to bash Windows in commercials? Apple is desperate to get a piece of M$ market, and they will do anything to get it. The commercials can be funny, but that's about all they are.

But that is entirely just my opinion.

Here's my favorite Apple commercial of all time.

Hey bob? Lets not start a PC/Mac war. :) APple doesn't bash. It points out facts. Things that PC manufacturers and Windows salespeople kinda.. neglect to tell the consumers. Best machine to run windows on... believe it or not is a mac. (performance wise) Shocking. I know.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hello Cryptic,
    Thanks for the update; however, I didn't see the Mac specs listed. I'm sure that is an oversight on your part since a company as forward thinking and creative as yours would not neglect the world's most effective OS system in favour of the bug-prone, if oddly dominant, windows system. So could you add the Mac details please? Thanks folks, I'm looking forward to joining Starfleet on my MacBook. Cheers,
    Windows-based PCs are known to be the personal computer for gaming, though, due to the sheer number of games and hardware options. Mac OSes are, as I understand, excellent, but gaming for Macs is (by comparison) extremely limited, though the marketing by Apple suggests they aren't targeting people who play games anyway.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hey bob? Lets not start a PC/Mac war. :) APple doesn't bash. It points out facts. Things that PC manufacturers and Windows salespeople kinda.. neglect to tell the consumers. Best machine to run windows on... believe it or not is a mac. (performance wise) Shocking. I know.

Take your own advice, please.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hey bob? Lets not start a PC/Mac war. :) APple doesn't bash. It points out facts. Things that PC manufacturers and Windows salespeople kinda.. neglect to tell the consumers.

What do you think you're doing with that comment? Not starting a PC\Mac war? Apple neglects to say some things themselves. And so does every other company in this world.
    believe it or not is a mac. (performance wise) Shocking. I know.
    I looked into buying a mac. The Alienware I did buy, was half the price, and twice as powerful. My girls Macbook is pretty cool, but it cost her $500 more than my laptop, and it's not even close to as powerful. So say what you will, but I will stick with my PC. Back on topic?

So hows about them system requirements.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Zadric wrote: »
    I am a big fan of Star Trek, but I hope to vanish Windows OS from my computers by february. It's very sad for me that won't be a version for Linux.:(

Wine or Cedega
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Xabora wrote: »
    Wine or Cedega

Yup, those should work for him as long as the launcher isn't Microsoft .NET based when STO is released (or in open beta). Some developers have a different team work on the launcher/updater.

But even if the launcher needs .NET, the updates can be done on another PC with Windows then copied over to the Linux PC with Wine or Cedega. For example, the community over on Turbine's site for LOTRO TRIBBLE their own launcher to grab updates. But sometimes it is broken by Turbine for new expansions and updates, so they're constantly trying to fix it. Sounds a lot like what the Linux community does to work with Windows apps and hardware with Windows-only drivers from the manufacturer, lol. Ah, the headache of open source worlds.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So for ATI, we look like we're at a much better range.

I'm so confused by this. There are cards in the X800 series that will give the 8 Gig fill rate a run for its money. So why the requirement for an X1800?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Where have you been? Linux or Mac with STO has never been supported, even from the start. You can't dump something you've never had. But STO runs DX9, so stop you're baseless complaining. Wine runs most DX9 games, especially those from a straight C compiler like STO. I'd only complain if they opted for a .NET based launcher or something, which none of us know about yet. And if you're on a Mac, just bootcamp to a copy of Windows on your Apple hardware.

Windows is the defacto for gaming. It's not a measuring stick of the OS, just a fact that most people run Windows who want to game. Which is why the developers target the biggest audience. You can roll Windows 7 RC-1 for free until summer of next year provided you download one from a torrent or get it from someone who already downloaded a copy. Or install XP for dirt cheap... you can still find retail and OEM copies out there on eBay.

With that said, I'm a fan of Linux and I run a few Linux boxes at home (one server and one MythTV system). But its developer community is just too far behind to play catch-up with reverse engineering the proprietary DX10, let alone DX11, so I don't use it for gaming.

I don't care if Windows is de facto, I'm just not interested in paying for Windows. I only see a wasted possibility to be something better than other game producers have opted for.

I don't care if wine/cedega/crossover runs this, it's not native. OpenGL is supported on all OS platforms and would still enable making the game for all of these.

I find it sad that a Linux fan, such as you claim yourself to be, starts bashing a Linux user who just says that pity the game won't release on the OS that I use and would be willing to pay money for playing on it.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    anyone want to tell me the Ghz recomended since the amd is a 2.8-2.9Ghx chip and the intel is a 3.0 Ghz
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i went to system requirementslanb and i can run champions online but i have the minimum requiremnents will i be able to run this
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hmm this sort of question is probably asked freqently,
    should I be worried with these specs?

Intel Core 2 Duo T7500
    Nvidia Geforce 9500M GS 512 MB
    4GB DDR2

These are specs from my laptop.

I was thinking about buying a decent desktop in february just
    to play STO in all it's glory.

Tnx in advance
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Dext wrote: »
    My PC could run 3 copy's of the game on my pc with them specs.

:o Mine could run about 3/4 of one copy.
    I think my GForce 6600's need to get upgraded. However, I can run CO fine with lowered settings on this machine, so STO will probably run the same.
    :D

Now if only I'd hear about Closed Beta since I have a Llife Time Sub for CO :confused:
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Woot!! I'm so glad I was able to get my new PC when I did then, my old system would have ran it ok I guess but with all the new power I have at my fingers now I should be cranking out 50 to 80 fps in a high end graphics setup.:D
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I was wondering - do many of the people in this thread simply don't play games/don't play modern games or what? By modern standards, STO's requirements are relatively normal for a reasonably recent system (though the recommended specs would be a system bought within the last year or so).
    jpalko wrote: »
    I don't care if Windows is de facto, I'm just not interested in paying for Windows. I only see a wasted possibility to be something better than other game producers have opted for.

I don't care if wine/cedega/crossover runs this, it's not native. OpenGL is supported on all OS platforms and would still enable making the game for all of these.

I find it sad that a Linux fan, such as you claim yourself to be, starts bashing a Linux user who just says that pity the game won't release on the OS that I use and would be willing to pay money for playing on it.
    It would be ridiculously impractical of Cryptic to support platforms with small user bases like Linux, though. Not to mention not cost-effective and unprofitable.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    FFN wrote: »
    It would be ridiculously impractical of Cryptic to support platforms with small user bases like Linux, though. Not to mention not cost-effective and unprofitable.

Well, guess that's an answer for Mac users then too. Percentage talks, not customer satisfaction. ;)

Still, it's money lost in a highly competetive industry.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, guess that's an answer for Mac users then too. Percentage talks, not customer satisfaction. ;)

Still, it's money lost in a highly competetive industry.
    Well, honestly, how many Unix users are there? And how many of them are gamers? How many of those Unix gamers use Unix exclusively (instead of dual-booting Windows or whatever)? The potential customer base would be very, very small versus who knows how much time and money Cryptic would spend developing the game for whatever Unix platforms are in vogue at the moment.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, honestly, how many Unix users are there? And how many of them are gamers? How many of those Unix gamers use Unix exclusively (instead of dual-booting Windows or whatever)? The potential customer base would be very, very small versus who knows how much time and money Cryptic would spend developing the game for whatever Unix platforms are in vogue at the moment.

Have you considered ever the fact that what keeps companies such as Codeweavers and Transgaming in the marketplace?

Simple, it's those Linux&Mac users you keep claiming that there aren't. ;)

Let me also turn your question around. How many do you think would like to get rid of the Windows side of their dual booting if their favorite games started to come available to Linux?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    And such companies are pretty small fry in the world of gaming.

Your question: if they went to the effort of going Linux and Unix, all of them. But, chances of games being ported from Windows to other OSes is relatively infrequent, no?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm pretty glad I got my computer upgraded last year, I can definatly play this game, hopefully at max graphics *giggle*
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    And such companies are pretty small fry in the world of gaming.

Your question: if they went to the effort of going Linux and Unix, all of them. But, chances of games being ported from Windows to other OSes is relatively infrequent, no?

Agreed that the marketplace is smaller than Windows at the moment but it does not change the fact that there are people out there that are turning their interest into other OS's than Windows. Only thing that makes them FORCED TO install Windows is games. Some of them like myself, are not interested in getting another OS that they don't need.

Google a look at Unigine graphics engine, or the graphics engine used Quake series, Penny Arcade games, Runesoft games, Introversion games, World of Goo, etc. Notice that there are also Linux versions?

I never said anything about Unix by the way. Linux is not Unix nor is Mac OS X. A real Unix is a server OS.

What I'm stating is that I'm not willing to pay for a Windows game when I want a Linux game. I'm just putting my foot down on the matter and making my opinion heard. Do you think that any change will happen in getting more games to Linux if you just keep buying the Windows games?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What I'm stating is that I'm not willing to pay for a Windows game when I want a Linux game. I'm just putting my foot down on the matter and making my opinion heard. Do you think that any change will happen in getting more games to Linux if you just keep buying the Windows games?

That's fine, and I certainly understand that. Unfortunately this late in the development cycle we won't be seeing any Mac or Linux port.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That's fine, and I certainly understand that. Unfortunately this late in the development cycle we won't be seeing any Mac or Linux port.

Yes, and I find that sad as the world would have been something I would have found interesting. :(
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yes, and I find that sad as the world would have been something I would have found interesting. :(

Watch a brief section of this video with their CCO at the 38:58 mark. They said "not first release", but I bet that pretty much means 'never', unfortunately. Jack, their CCO, had no idea what Linux was, lol! He had to ask Craig, the executive producer. Typical ignorance for executives.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Watch a brief section of this video with their CCO at the 38:58 mark. They said "not first release", but I bet that pretty much means 'never', unfortunately. Jack, their CCO, had no idea what Linux was, lol! He had to ask Craig, the executive producer. Typical ignorance for executives.

That's the video I was referring to, they should have made a statement correcting this matter and not just try to bury the matter in the way that "people will forget you ever said it".

Let's sue them for making a false promise back then! Just kidding. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I didn't see any promises made there? "Not first release" means not at the first release, and nothing more.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I didn't see any promises made there? "Not first release" means not at the first release, and nothing more.

Well, they did not either rule out the possibility of supporting other OS's with that. Looking at the system requirement of Direct X only, they did that.

Unless of course they have done some internal effort for a Unigine kind of graphics engine that enables you to switch from DX to OpenGL and give the same output with both. I kind of highly doubt it though. Personally I find not designing better a sign of narrow vision of potential markets.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, they did not either rule out the possibility of supporting other OS's with that. Looking at the system requirement of Direct X only, they did that.

Unless of course they have done some internal effort for a Unigine kind of graphics engine that enables you to switch from DX to OpenGL and give the same output with both. I kind of highly doubt it though. Personally I find not designing better a sign of narrow vision of potential markets.

Yup, if a game developer goes with DirectX, you're pretty much locked into Windows or using Wine or Cedega to try to emulate DX9 support. I've seen some games that support both OpenGL and DirectX, but they are very far and few in-between. Usually those games are targeted at both Windows, Mac, and Linux. And for most of those titles, if they're already using OpenGL, they have little incentive to add DirectX support.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I have waited for a long time for this game and now I will not be able to plat it because I have dial up what do they think everyome has access to high speed thanks a lot. Looks like im stuck playing eq
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    This is TRIBBLE. Completely horrible. When did people stop making things for the Amiga. Cryptic... You're dead to me. You hear me. Dead.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Deeku wrote: »
    This is TRIBBLE. Completely horrible. When did people stop making things for the Amiga. Cryptic... You're dead to me. You hear me. Dead.

ROFLOL! Nice one. ;)
    I have waited for a long time for this game and now I will not be able to plat it because I have dial up what do they think everyome has access to high speed thanks a lot. Looks like im stuck playing eq

You probably will be able to play with a 56k modem, but you might have some bad lag. It won't be impossible to play with dial-up, but I bet they're putting in broadband there to ensure that they don't get any complaints about lag from dial-up people.
This discussion has been closed.