What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

System Requirements

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Looks like I can play this fairly good. But I'm not sure. Anybody out there that can look at my specs and see if I can play this game.
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2,70 GHz
    RAM: 2 GB
    Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT

The Windows test shows an index of 4.8. If that Is any help to determine my setup.

Thank in advance for any input.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    the only gripe i have is my CPU its and E6600 @ 2.4ghz would that be all right other than that i meet the recommend specs
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    pompel9 wrote: »
    Looks like I can play this fairly good. But I'm not sure. Anybody out there that can look at my specs and see if I can play this game.
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2,70 GHz
    RAM: 2 GB
    Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT

The Windows test shows an index of 4.8. If that Is any help to determine my setup.

Thank in advance for any input.
    That looks fine to me.
    9thDawg wrote: »
    the only gripe i have is my CPU its and E6600 @ 2.4ghz would that be all right other than that i meet the recommend specs

That's a Core 2 Duo. You'll be fine. ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Deeku wrote: »
    This is TRIBBLE. Completely horrible. When did people stop making things for the Amiga. Cryptic... You're dead to me. You hear me. Dead.

I've got still an Amiga 4000 Tower that I could resurrect for playing this one! :D
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    can my AMD Turion x2 run STO?

please respond soon
    Thakns
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    When will sto also be available for the mac? I mean it's hard not to have a version available for the mac-users under us.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The CPU requirement is weird. Minimum is only 1.8Ghz but recommended shoots up to 3.0Ghz? Especially Since the Recommended GPU is only an Nvidia 8 series.

My system will be fine though, It far surpasses all of the recommended requirements except for CPU but I've got a dual core E5500 2.5Ghz.

Plus I run LOTRO on Max settings at almost 40 FPS
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    ZarHall wrote: »
    can my AMD Turion x2 run STO?

please respond soon
    Thakns

That's dual core mobile processor. As long as the speed is at least 1.8, you;ll be fine.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Vorgse wrote: »
    Especially Since the Recommended GPU is only an Nvidia 8 series.

Series has less of an effect than the type of card in each series. Since this is a DX9 game, they could use a 6 series card for the minimum requirements, such as a 6800.

I think the person writing these system requirements knows very little about PC gaming hardware. It's demonstrated by their CPU, video, and DVD player requirements.

My guess on this would be...

Minimum:

Intel or AMD single or dual core CPU or better (2.4GHz for single core, 1.8GHz for dual core)
    1GB of RAM for Windows XP, 2GB or RAM for Windows Vista or Windows 7
    NVIDIA 6800, ATI 1800, or better cards for 1280x1024 or 1440x900 resolutions or less
    8GB of hard drive space
    56k dial-up
    DVD-ROM or better optical drive for retail package, none required for download

Recommended:

Intel or AMD dual or quad core CPU, 2.4GHz or better, 2GHz or better for Core i7 or Phenom X4
    2GB of RAM for Windows XP, 4GB of RAM for Windows Vista or Windows 7
    NVIDIA 8800 GT, ATI 3850, or better for 1600x1200 or 1680x1050 resolutions or less
    8GB of hard drive space
    Broadband Internet connection
    4x DVD-ROM or better optical drive for retail package, none required for download
    DX9 compatible sound chip or card that supports EAX 2.0 or later

We don't need a sound card to play the game. We don't need a 6x DVD drive to install software, and we don't need a 7950 NVIDIA card (ROFLOL on that mess-up requirement).
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think the person writing these system requirements knows very little about PC gaming hardware. It's demonstrated by their CPU, video, and DVD player requirements..

I would have expected the requirements to be the same as CO. Graphics and engine are really not all the different to require higher minimums.

<start sarcastic speculation> Maybe Microsoft said, 'you up the system requirements to make people go out and buy new pc with Windows 7 on it and we will help you get this on the Xbox'. <end sarcastic speculation>
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    dbarelic wrote: »
    <start sarcastic speculation> May Microsoft said, 'you up the system requirements to make people go out and buy new pc with Windows 7 on it and we will help you get this on the Xbox'. <end sarcastic speculation>

Although written in jest, there is unfortunately a lot of truth to that. Because Microsoft owns a majority share of the OS market, new PC sales = profit for them as their PC builder partners continue to purchase OS licenses for their PCs. And Microsoft is no stranger to pushing hardware requirements. Just look at .NET, Visual Studio, and higher and higher level APIs from DX11 to Windows API.

But realistically, I build new PCs and purchase the latest, greatest hardware because it's part of a hobby of mine that focuses on gaming, programming, and PC modding. So I'm not complaining. ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    NIce, nice! The next mmo candidate for wine. These requirements sounds sweet!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    fail pc, time to upgrade
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Although written in jest, there is unfortunately a lot of truth to that. Because Microsoft owns a majority share of the OS market, new PC sales = profit for them as their PC builder partners continue to purchase OS licenses for their PCs. And Microsoft is no stranger to pushing hardware requirements. Just look at .NET, Visual Studio, and higher and higher level APIs from DX11 to Windows API.

But realistically, I build new PCs and purchase the latest, greatest hardware because it's part of a hobby of mine that focuses on gaming, programming, and PC modding. So I'm not complaining. ;)

Gee knew that since well a system like vista uses to much from your cpu and other hardware. While mac (apple) even with snow leopard usses half of what windows uses. Anyways I think they should also make sto available for the mac as that is a much better gaming platform to work from. Asside from the fact that the mac is much more sufficient in graphics, this including 3d.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    McCartney wrote: »
    Anyways I think they should also make sto available for the mac as that is a much better gaming platform to work from. Asside from the fact that the mac is much more sufficient in graphics, this including 3d.

Mac is not built, sold, or marketed for gaming. Where are you coming up with that nonsense? A PC can outperform an Apple system when it comes to gaming performance, just do your research.

The top-of-the-line Mac Pro for $3,300 with dual CPUs (Intel Xeon) is sold with an NVIDIA GT 120 video card with 512MB. I can build a $500 PC that has more gaming power than the best Apple can offer pre-built. And if you pay Apple more, you can get up to an ATI 4870, which still isn't top-of-the-line. you can also get four GT 120 cards, but they're not all working in SLI mode. For 3 grand on the PC side, I can use Core i7 CPUs (1 generation ahead of the Xeon they offer), THREE GTX 295 or ATI 5870 cards, and it will leave that $3k Mac in the dust for gaming performance many, many times over.

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MB535LL/A?mco=MTM3NDc3NjI
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    jpalko wrote: »
    Do you think that any change will happen in getting more games to Linux if you just keep buying the Windows games?
    No, but I'm a Windows user, so it matters little to me, I'm just hashing out the logic behind Cryptic (and most publisher/developer's) decisions not to support Linux. I don't particularly care what system, console, OS I use so long as it works and it supports whatever hardware/software I want on it.

Deeku wrote: »
    This is TRIBBLE. Completely horrible. When did people stop making things for the Amiga. Cryptic... You're dead to me. You hear me. Dead.
    You are the wind beneath my wings.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    well i hope this will work on my HD4650 1GB DDR2 otherwise ill go nuts
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    FFN wrote: »
    No, but I'm a Windows user, so it matters little to me, I'm just hashing out the logic behind Cryptic (and most publisher/developer's) decisions not to support Linux. I don't particularly care what system, console, OS I use so long as it works and it supports whatever hardware/software I want on it.

Then you should also understand my logic. If it's not available to Linux, I'm not interested in it. And the reason I want a native version and not a cedega/cider/crossover/wine version is that I do enough OS/application tweaking for work, I'd like my gaming to be just playing the game on Linux.

And before anyone starts to rant how Linux needs tweaking and Windows/[insert your other OS here] doesn't, do a couple of years of REAL large size corporation system administration and you'll find out that all the OS's are the same here. Not one of them is any easier in their tools and the easiest ways to do really stuff is via the command line and not through some marketing hype bling bling GUI.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Then you should also understand my logic. If it's not available to Linux, I'm not interested in it. And the reason I want a native version and not a cedega/cider/crossover/wine version is that I do enough OS/application tweaking for work, I'd like my gaming to be just playing the game on Linux.

And before anyone starts to rant how Linux needs tweaking and Windows/[insert your other OS here] doesn't, do a couple of years of REAL large size corporation system administration and you'll find out that all the OS's are the same here. Not one of them is any easier in their tools and the easiest ways to do really stuff is via the command line and not through some marketing hype bling bling GUI.

Nobody makes games that support Linux, as far as I know. I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to start though.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I selected the wrong OS for my application. It should have been XP Home. Anyway to get it changed?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I selected the wrong OS on my application. Can I get it changed to the right one? Should have been XP Home
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nobody makes games that support Linux, as far as I know. I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to start though.

As far as I know, these look like Linux games:
    Heroes of Newerth/
    Jack Keane <- Here are others as well
    Greenhouse <- I'll grant that there are not many but more will come
    World of Goo
    linuX-gamers <- Have a look around here longer than just your 5 second glance and you'll find a lot of great games. Remember also that not all great games need to be 5 million dollar budget games to be great, usually those wear out the fastest too.

I could add to the list games from id Software that you can play with Linux with a native client and they are making the newest engine to work with Linux as well.

Take your Microsoft blueish goggles off and look at the world out there a bit more. :) And I'm not saying that there are a lot of Linux games being made, but you can say the same for OS X, but there are games.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Will mac users ever get any love?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    As far as I know, these look like Linux games:
    Heroes of Newerth/
    Jack Keane <- Here are others as well
    Greenhouse <- I'll grant that there are not many but more will come
    World of Goo
    linuX-gamers <- Have a look around here longer than just your 5 second glance and you'll find a lot of great games. Remember also that not all great games need to be 5 million dollar budget games to be great, usually those wear out the fastest too.

I could add to the list games from id Software that you can play with Linux with a native client and they are making the newest engine to work with Linux as well.

Take your Microsoft blueish goggles off and look at the world out there a bit more. :) And I'm not saying that there are a lot of Linux games being made, but you can say the same for OS X, but there are games.

Now I'm aware. I don't have "Microsoft blueish goggles", I just didn't know. It's great that companies support Linux. I think you misinterpreted my post. I didn't say that there are positively no games supported by Linux, only that I wasn't aware that there was. Though If I hadn't posted what I did, you wouldn't have been able to correct me. I actually tried Linux for a while, on two different occasions, and found it wasn't for me. Probably because I didn't know enough at the time. Maybe another time.
    Have a look around here longer than just your 5 second glance and you'll find a lot of great games. Remember also that not all great games need to be 5 million dollar budget games to be great, usually those wear out the fastest too.

This gets to me a bit, "my 5 second glance". Where do you get that? I don't remember glancing at anything. I actually found your links informative, and saw some cool games. Don't jump to conclusions my friend. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Now I'm aware. I don't have "Microsoft blueish goggles", I just didn't know. It's great that companies support Linux. I think you misinterpreted my post. I didn't say that there are positively no games supported by Linux, only that I wasn't aware that there was. Though If I hadn't posted what I did, you wouldn't have been able to correct me. I actually tried Linux for a while, on two different occasions, and found it wasn't for me. Probably because I didn't know enough at the time. Maybe another time.

I'm sorry for the wording, didn't mean any offense. I guess I have gotten too used to the average "there's no life beyond Windows" users who will reply to you instantly that "who cares about Linux". Believe me, those are in the masses and not the friendly Windows users, so you tend to turn a bit on the offensive sometimes. Which is of course no excuse and I'm sorry if I caused offense.

I understand quite well how it is a bit harder to find Linux games as the stores are jam packed with Playstation, Windows and other Console games and most mass medias practically live in Microsoft's pocket and don't report on anything else out there.

Linux games are found better on The Internet at the moment, though there have been a couple of games that have reached local retail stores as well but that was mainly because they included Mac, Windows and Linux version of the game in one package.
    This gets to me a bit, "my 5 second glance". Where do you get that? I don't remember glancing at anything. I actually found your links informative, and saw some cool games. Don't jump to conclusions my friend. Thanks for the info.

Sorry again, did not mean to direct this to you so bluntly. What I meant is that usually if I give that page link to a Windows user, they look at it around 5 seconds and say "but there's no major titles here".

They are right in that for the most part but are only major game titles the good games? No, I've found multiple small game titles way better in story content than million dollar industry productions.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm sorry for the wording, didn't mean any offense. I guess I have gotten too used to the average "there's no life beyond Windows" users who will reply to you instantly that "who cares about Linux". Believe me, those are in the masses and not the friendly Windows users, so you tend to turn a bit on the offensive sometimes. Which is of course no excuse and I'm sorry if I caused offense.

I understand quite well how it is a bit harder to find Linux games as the stores are jam packed with Playstation, Windows and other Console games and most mass medias practically live in Microsoft's pocket and don't report on anything else out there.

Linux games are found better on The Internet at the moment, though there have been a couple of games that have reached local retail stores as well but that was mainly because they included Mac, Windows and Linux version of the game in one package.

Sorry again, did not mean to direct this to you so bluntly. What I meant is that usually if I give that page link to a Windows user, they look at it around 5 seconds and say "but there's no major titles here".

They are right in that for the most part but are only major game titles the good games? No, I've found multiple small game titles way better in story content than million dollar industry productions.
    Well, I wont argue with you on that one. Some people cannot see past Windows. I however am not one of them. I try not to be too ignorant (though, that doesn't always work :P), but when I am, I try to learn what I can, and I learned something today. So, no need to apologize, I didn't find your post offensive, just a bit harsh.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I know next to nothing about the inner workings of computers. Can someone PM me and let me know if I'll be able to run STO and if not, what I should upgrade and what I should upgrade it to on a cops salary... :o

My very old system:

Win XP Home SP2

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420

Intel P4 2.00 GHz

256 MB RAM
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    E.kreeger wrote: »
    I know next to nothing about the inner workings of computers. Can someone PM me and let me know if I'll be able to run STO and if not, what I should upgrade and what I should upgrade it to on a cops salary... :o

My very old system:

Win XP Home SP2

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420

Intel P4 2.00 GHz

256 MB RAM

PM sent. Hope it helps!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, I wont argue with you on that one. Some people cannot see past Windows. I however am not one of them. I try not to be too ignorant (though, that doesn't always work :P), but when I am, I try to learn what I can, and I learned something today. So, no need to apologize, I didn't find your post offensive, just a bit harsh.

Ditto. I run Ubuntu flavors of Linux on my server and MythTV PC. But my gaming rig is Windows 7.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ditto. I run Ubuntu flavors of Linux on my server and MythTV PC. But my gaming rig is Windows 7.

Sounds familiar by the way. Ubuntu on my home file server (an Epia system), Gentoo Linux on my performance desktop and VDR system, and finally Ubuntu on my laptops and office server.
This discussion has been closed.