test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

System Requirements

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I selected the wrong OS on my application. Can I get it changed to the right one? Should have been XP Home
    I think you can just click the big "applied" thing on the front ppage and change your details.
    jpalko wrote: »
    Not one of them is any easier in their tools and the easiest ways to do really stuff is via the command line and not through some marketing hype bling bling GUI.
    But I love fancy GUIs :(
    edited November 2009
    FFN wrote: »
    But I love fancy GUIs :(

Most endusers might love them but they tend to be of zero use when an admin needs just the facts and nothing else or wants to automate stuff.

Oh, and remember that I'm talking about larger scale here, on small scale it's different if you're happy with doing it to all your installs the slow way.
    edited November 2009
    Oh no...
    My proccesor = AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+, not the 3800+... :-(.
    Windows 7 and 2GB Ram... I'll hold with that...
    Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT 512MB... I think I'll make it...
    But the damned processor is the damned bottle neck...
    And you guys know the worst part?
    I'm not even using a 64 Windows...
    But please tell me, is the 64 bit version of my processor better in performance than the 32 bit?
    edited November 2009
    Yes. I will run the game optimally. I am with HD4870 512MB, Phenom II X4 940, 4GB DDR2 1066MHz, AM790FX chipset, 5.1 creative inspire T6100 and broadband connection, Vista Ultimate x64. And as I see this is the best DX9 game I've ever seen :) Pretty good graphics and effects. 1280x1024, max graphics, textures and effects, 4xAA, 8xAF, AAA, 60fps and the game will looks very cool.
    edited November 2009
    Thanks, that is going to help me :-)
    edited November 2009
    Rekhan wrote:
    We just updated the FAQ, but wanted to call it out here, as well. Star Trek Online's system requirements are as follows:
    System Requirements
    OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit) CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Memory: 1GB RAM Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher HDD: 8GB Free Disk Space Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required Disc: 6X DVD-ROM Recommended System Configuration
    OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit) CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2 5600+ Memory: 2GB RAM+ Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3850+ Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher HDD: 8GB Free Disk Space Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

Link to the news article.

what about macs? i have a mac that has the same requirements EXCEPT for the windows part! I have been looking forward to this for months, and now i cant play it! im frankly, quite disappointed...you had said that you wanted it to look great on MANY systems! :mad: my mac is the older 2009 computer! and its got tons of good stuff! PLEASE make it also mac capable!
    edited November 2009
    I hope so! I'm with you buddy!
    edited November 2009
    Thanks bobalobabingbong, that is a relief. I so look forward to this game. I love star trek :)
    edited November 2009
    UUUgh :( I'm Having a Pentium 4 ?HT?@ 3.3GhZ 2GB of ram and HD3450. Will my vga be able to compencate my weak processor? Ot my Hyper Threading function will compensate? SOme programs show me real Processor speed at 5.8GhZ?
    edited November 2009
    MilenCho wrote:
    UUUgh :( I'm Having a Pentium 4 ?HT?@ 3.3GhZ 2GB of ram and HD3450. Will my vga be able to compencate my weak processor? Ot my Hyper Threading function will compensate? SOme programs show me real Processor speed at 5.8GhZ?

If a program reads your CPU as 5.8GHz, then it's either a buggy program or your motherboard is faulty. No CPU in consumer systems can reach 5.8GHz even with insane cooling.

As for your Pentium 4 and ATI 3450, sorry, your system will run STO so slowly that it will be almost unplayable. Sure, you'll probably be able to install and play STO, but it won't be enjoyably on that PC.

For $400 you can probably get a new PC that will play STO just fine.
    edited November 2009
    Last week I just went to the pawn shop and bought a computer. He said it was almost brand new, the previous owner used it only a little. On the front it says IBM and there is a sticker that says intel pentium ii inside. I've only been using it for a few days, but it runs well. Do you think that it will run STO on high settings? Sorry, I am not much of a computer person, I don't know how to find out the rest of the settings like rom or the hard drive.
    edited November 2009
    Hey guys, can someone tell me If my Proc is powerful enough to run the game easy. I have an AMD Athlon 4800+ dual core with 3GB Ram.

For the Video card I just bought a GeForce Gts250 with 1GB DDR3. Thank you!
    edited November 2009
    pompel9 wrote: »
    Thanks bobalobabingbong, that is a relief. I so look forward to this game. I love star trek :)

Glad I could help!
    Sp4nwN26 wrote: »
    Hey guys, can someone tell me If my Proc is powerful enough to run the game easy. I have an AMD Athlon 4800+ dual core with 3GB Ram.

For the Video card I just bought a GeForce Gts250 with 1GB DDR3. Thank you!

You should be just fine.
    edited November 2009
    hehe, max for me on my laptop, ooohhhh yeahhh.
    edited November 2009
    l
    edited November 2009
    Hmm ... I'm borderline, by the looks of it (HP Pavilion dv8330us):

- Windows XP Media Center Ed., SP2 (clear, barely)
    - Intel Core Duo Processor T2250, 1.73 Ghz (unsure)
    - 1.00 GB RAM (clear, barely)
    - NVIDIA GeForce 7600 graphics card (unsure, probably inadequate)
    - *think* it's DirectX 9.0c compatible soundcard (clear, probably)
    - *think* DirectX is at 9.0c or higher (clear, probably)
    - 200GB disk space total (clear)
    - Internet is broadband but via a wireless network (clear)
    - 8X DVD-ROM drive (clear)

May be inadequate, but dammit, my laptop WAS top-of-the-line when I got it in 2006!
    edited November 2009
    Mac is not built, sold, or marketed for gaming. Where are you coming up with that nonsense? A PC can outperform an Apple system when it comes to gaming performance, just do your research.

The top-of-the-line Mac Pro for $3,300 with dual CPUs (Intel Xeon) is sold with an NVIDIA GT 120 video card with 512MB. I can build a $500 PC that has more gaming power than the best Apple can offer pre-built. And if you pay Apple more, you can get up to an ATI 4870, which still isn't top-of-the-line. you can also get four GT 120 cards, but they're not all working in SLI mode. For 3 grand on the PC side, I can use Core i7 CPUs (1 generation ahead of the Xeon they offer), THREE GTX 295 or ATI 5870 cards, and it will leave that $3k Mac in the dust for gaming performance many, many times over.

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MB535LL/A?mco=MTM3NDc3NjI

The diffrence here is with windows that u need a lot to make it work. With mac u don't need much to make it work, played a lot of games with my macbook pro, from the newest lines. Played games like spore, GTA 4 and San Andreas and a few others. Performance was great. Better than on windows.

Anyways hope they also will make it available for the mac, since my macbook pro will be able to run it as a application. And well I'm sure with all I know about the mac, that it will look a lot better on it. And I'm not saying this pre judged, but saying this as a graphics designer.
    edited November 2009
    I am only missing the graphics card. I am wondering if this card will play STO, GeForece 9600 GT 1024 md GDDR3 or 9500 GT 1024md DDr2?
    edited November 2009
    KaptinJRN wrote: »

:D Both my laptop, and home rig will eat this game up!
    edited November 2009
    KaptinJRN wrote: »

KaptinJRN, as I think the game will be unplayable on onboard GPU. And Milencho, my friend, Radeon X1800 "as I think" is faster than HD3450. X1650 is 52GF as I remeber right and yours is 48 or 52GF so X1800 is faster. This is because all of the first DX10 cards are slower than DX9 cards because of the new architecture.
    edited November 2009
    I think I have this cover. ;) 8gb of HDD space, wow!
    edited November 2009
    Deeku wrote: »
    Last week I just went to the pawn shop and bought a computer. He said it was almost brand new, the previous owner used it only a little. On the front it says IBM and there is a sticker that says intel pentium ii inside. I've only been using it for a few days, but it runs well. Do you think that it will run STO on high settings? Sorry, I am not much of a computer person, I don't know how to find out the rest of the settings like rom or the hard drive.

LOL, Heh,heh:D
    edited November 2009
    Pakundo wrote: »
    Oh no...
    My proccesor = AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+, not the 3800+... :-(.
    Windows 7 and 2GB Ram... I'll hold with that...
    Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT 512MB... I think I'll make it...
    But the damned processor is the damned bottle neck...
    And you guys know the worst part?
    I'm not even using a 64 Windows...
    But please tell me, is the 64 bit version of my processor better in performance than the 32 bit?

This at a 939 socket? AMD recycle it's model number. Socket 939 and AM2 share same model names.
    edited November 2009
    Deeku wrote: »

Sorry mate, the Pentium II is a very old processor. But to be sure that this is what you have got I recommend you check your system settings and let us know what they are. To do this go to Start Menu > Control Panel > System > and let us know what comes up the system/cpu info. :-)
    edited November 2009
    Is my nvidea geforce 8400 GS good enough for this game??

You'll have to set the game setting pretty low. That card is not consider a gaming card. Nvidia x600 GT ie 8600, 9600 are entry level gaming cards. Since you got time and Xmas sales are almost here, you may wish to get a new card. Just make sure your PSU can support it. 9800 GT or GTX or better. ATI cards are good and usually cost less and require less power than Nvidia. Nvidia gives you Physx. Batman AA.
    edited November 2009
    cyber_256 wrote: »
    Sorry mate, the Pentium II is a very old processor. But to be sure that this is what you have got I recommend you check your system settings and let us know what they are. To do this go to Start Menu > Control Panel > System > and let us know what comes up the system/cpu info. :-)
    So this game coming out in 2010 is still using DX9?
    :eek:

Also, the video card requirements are really odd in addition to the dual core garbage for the CPU requirements. To many a Geforce 7950 doesn't sound like it seems. Likewise for the X1800 Radeon.
    I'll leave any further Intel graphics chip comments for somewhere else. :p

I'd be willing to bet though if this is a DX9 game that I'll be able to get it running on my old Athlon XP box with a modern (but AGP) video card... at playable framerates.

On the bright side I'll be able to run the game on this laptop. Guess I can slow down on building that monster DX11 system now.

DX9, That's a good point. But XP doesn't support DX10. I wonder if this game is optimize for DX10.
    edited November 2009
    Cmdr Data wrote:
    I've got an AMD Phenom X3 8550 Triple Core Processor, 3Gb ram. Running on Vista. My PSU is only 220w which i agree i'll prolly need to upgrade. I have a couple of PCIE slots and i think one PCIEx16. As its an Integrated Motherboard GPU i have thankfully i'm not using up one of those slots already.

Newegg has this low profile card. Newegg 4 stars review.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187061
    It requires a 400w PSU with a 6pin PCIE cable. Which are pretty cheap. Get a 500w or better. Antec or Corsair.
    http://www.sparkle-usa.com/products_graphic_04.asp?cate=23&seq=77
    edited November 2009
    Rekhan thank you very much for posting the specs. We have been waiting for this day for... like, forever. ;)

I will need a brand new machine to run it. Anyone know if Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 (2.53 Ghz), and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 with 1Gb RAM will be enough?

Or a system with Intel Core 2 Duo mobile T6600 (2.2 Ghz) with NVIDIA GeForce G210M GPU?

It will play fine just not with all the bells and whistles. That normal for laptops unless you spend $2500.00 on a laptop.
    edited November 2009
    There's always the Xbox360 version in development and CO is already done but MS is dragging their feet, they can't stand the idea of not being in control. They were given no choice by the FFXI developers, It was either that or NO relationship with Square at all.

Will Xbox and PC be able to play with each other?
    edited November 2009
    Manx wrote: »
    Darn, I got a GeForce 7900 GS; which, according to my research, was the gimped budget alternative to the 7950. Not going to be good enough :(

Ah well, would have had to replace it eventually I suppose. Can pick up a 9600GT for not all that much (well, 'not much' compared to the likes of an 8800 anyways).
    It will most like run on that card, but it would run better on the 9600 GT.
This discussion has been closed.