test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

✯✯✯ STAR TREK PICARD ✯✯✯ (reactions and discussion WITH SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    There's plenty of TNG Klingons in DSC already. Right alongside DSC style ones.
    kolsha.jpg

Last time I checked TNG Klingons never had grayish-blue skin. And whether you want to admit it or not ST:D DID retcon things, they pulled back on the Klingons because of the massive negative response to them but it is highly likely that the Enterprise during TOS is now meant to have always looked like the newly redesigned version (one improvement for the better imo, I always hated the TOS Connie).

I'll also use the abbreviations I want thank you very much, I've ignored your corrections in the past and I will continue to do so for as long as these forums exist. All that matters is that people understand what I'm talking about.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    kolsha.jpg

Last time I checked TNG Klingons never had grayish-blue skin. And whether you want to admit it or not ST:D DID retcon things, they pulled back on the Klingons because of the massive negative response to them but it is highly likely that the Enterprise during TOS is now meant to have always looked like the newly redesigned version (one improvement for the better imo, I always hated the TOS Connie).

I'll also use the abbreviations I want thank you very much, I've ignored your corrections in the past and I will continue to do so for as long as these forums exist. All that matters is that people understand what I'm talking about.

And skin color is just the tip of that iceberg, skin thickness is way different too. The Klingon in the foreground of the picture appears to have very thick and tough skin and resembles a Japanese oni or some illustrations of Bigfoot rather than the TNG Klingons.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited February 2020

A Disco Klingon with hair is not the same thing as a TNG Klingon. Having said that, it's obvious they were trying to make a visual transition between the straight up "orcs" they originally presented us with and a more traditional TNG Klingon look. But no, as others above this post have already expressed, that pic you posted is not a TNG Klingon.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    I honestly never gave a rat's TRIBBLE about Klingon appearance. If they're called Klingons, that's what they are. Like, whatever....
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I honestly never gave a rat's TRIBBLE about Klingon appearance. If they're called Klingons, that's what they are. Like, whatever....

That's fine. But imagine this scenario: you are talking with someone about something you DO care about. Then someone else drops in JUST to tell you they don't give a rat's butt about what you are talking about. Yeah, that's right. The person had literally nothing to say about the topic being discussed, or about anything they DID want to discuss. They just wanted to tell you how much they DON'T CARE about what you are discussing. That would be pretty lame, huh?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Anyway, back to this show: does anyone else think they are setting up some kind of ancient Romulan/Borg connection like humans and cylons in BSG?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Anyway, back to this show: does anyone else think they are setting up some kind of ancient Romulan/Borg connection like humans and cylons in BSG?

Wouldn't really make sense imo, if the Romulans created the Borg then how did they end up way out in the Delta Quadrant? I could maybe see Enterprise era Romulans finding wreckage from the ship destroyed in Regeneration and somehow getting into trouble with the Borg that way (at one point I was plotting out a Foundry mission like that, with their experimentation alerting the Collective and leading to the attacks along the Fed-Rom border during TNG season 1), but not creating them.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    edited February 2020

Possibly, though I get the impression the Borg are older than the Romulans (the people who became knows as the Romulans left Vulcan around 470 AD (according to dialog in the TNG episode "Gambit") and probably took a little while to finally settle in their classic home system. In "First Contact" the Borg queen claimed they had been developing for "thousands of centuries" though she is probably not the most trustworthy source of information either so anything is possible.
  • Options

Wouldn't really make sense imo, if the Romulans created the Borg then how did they end up way out in the Delta Quadrant? I could maybe see Enterprise era Romulans finding wreckage from the ship destroyed in Regeneration and somehow getting into trouble with the Borg that way (at one point I was plotting out a Foundry mission like that, with their experimentation alerting the Collective and leading to the attacks along the Fed-Rom border during TNG season 1), but not creating them.

Possibly, though I get the impression the Borg are older than the Romulans (the people who became knows as the Romulans left Vulcan around 470 AD (according to dialog in the TNG episode "Gambit") and probably took a little while to finally settle in their classic home system. In "First Contact" the Borg queen claimed they had been developing for "thousands of centuries" though she is probably not the most trustworthy source of information either so anything is possible.

Yeah, all valid points. It's just that after Disco S1 and S2 I think the current crop of Trek writers are pretty much going to do anything they want, prior conflicts be damned. There's nothing worse (to me) than having every mystery explained, and I'm afraid they (current Trek TV writers) can't help but want to be THE people who tell a canon Borg origin. I'd love to be wrong though :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options

That's fine. But imagine this scenario: you are talking with someone about something you DO care about. Then someone else drops in JUST to tell you they don't give a rat's butt about what you are talking about. Yeah, that's right. The person had literally nothing to say about the topic being discussed, or about anything they DID want to discuss. They just wanted to tell you how much they DON'T CARE about what you are discussing. That would be pretty lame, huh?

My point is I don't let the appearance of Klingons ruin my enjoyment of an otherwise good show. Like this is the second time their makeup's been updated? It's not really that important in my view. They're still mostly recognizable as Klingons, especially now that they're growing hair again and not shaving themselves bald. Klingon makeup has been so varied.
  • Options

My point is I don't let the appearance of Klingons ruin my enjoyment of an otherwise good show. Like this is the second time their makeup's been updated? It's not really that important in my view. They're still mostly recognizable as Klingons, especially now that they're growing hair again and not shaving themselves bald. Klingon makeup has been so varied.

I personally agree with your view. However just because someone else may not agree does not mean they are wrong. Also, simply talking about things you think a show "got wrong" does not mean you don't like the show, or think that it is "ruined". Life is not about absolutes; the choice isn't either accepting the appearance of the disco Klingons or thinking the show is "ruined".

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    I have seen comments in the past where the makeup change did ruin peoples' opinion of DSC. I'm going off of that when I say that. Otherwise, you're correct. Just saying it never bothered me.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    During the dialog between the admiral and Picard, they have separated the gorn hegemony from the klingon empire, maybe a good news for the Gorn in the Nimbus canyon :p
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    well, given that the gorn were never actually PART of the klingon empire in TVTrek...unless they joined between the end of DS9 and the start of picard, i don't see how they can be separated​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Last time I checked TNG Klingons never had grayish-blue skin.

And yet there's one with grey skin.
    And whether you want to admit it or not ST:D DID retcon things,

DSC, and unless you mention any I going to assume you just kinda assume they did but can't actually name any.
    they pulled back on the Klingons because of the massive negative response to them

Other than the hair, there's nothing about the Klingons in series 2 that's different to series 1. They streamlined L'Rell's makeup slightly to accommodate her hair but the facial changes already happened halfway through series 1.
    but it is highly likely that the Enterprise during TOS is now meant to have always looked like the newly redesigned version (one improvement for the better imo, I always hated the TOS Connie).

There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that at all. DSC doesn't go further than 2258 (interestingly the same year as 09 is set in) that's 7 years before Where No Man Has Gone Before (the start of the TOS era).

Again, they've not retconned anything other than the Pilot episode and several different types of Klingons exist alongside each other in DSC so all they're doing is adding variety. It's unlikely DSC will ever even return to the 50s, never mind have any crossover with TOS, and Pike (even if he gets his own show) is out of the Enterprise before WNMHGB so it's unlikely we'll ever see what the WNMHGB or TOS Enterprise look like.

DSC.
    And skin color is just the tip of that iceberg, skin thickness is way different too. The Klingon in the foreground of the picture appears to have very thick and tough skin and *removed imagined comparison that's just a silly as pretending they look like Orcs*

Oh wow, the thickness of the make up. Such difference, many change.

So your argument is that Worf in TNGS1 and Worf in Nemesis are different types of Klingon because he no longer looks like somebody has empted a packet of play-do on his head.

Though, I suppose if you set out to find significant differences you can exaggerate anything you want into a difference and ignore it when it comes to the massive differences between early TNG and late DS9.
    A Disco Klingon with hair is not the same thing as a TNG Klingon.

That is correct, hence why I didn't post a picture of L'rell or Ujilli or any of the other 6 or so styles of Klingons in DSC.
    Having said that, it's obvious they were trying to make a visual transition between the straight up "orcs" they originally presented us with and a more traditional TNG Klingon look.

No Klingon in any show has looked like an Orc.
    But no, as others above this post have already expressed, that pic you posted is not a TNG Klingon.

Human sized and shaped head, ridges confined to the forehead and nose, excessively silly facial hair, fangs, long hair emerging from the top of the forehead exposing the ridges. Yup, he's a TNG style Klingon.

Or, rather he's the style of Klingon seen from about series 4 of TNG and throughout DS9, VGR, and ENT. The first TNG Klingons were re-used make up from the TOS films (except TMP) and as such generally had rounder or more vertical ridges, no nose ridges whatsoever and flat teeth.

I'm not sure why 'TNG style Klingon' seems to mean 'walked right off the set of Redemption' rather than 'shares all the same features and design styles but done with a budget' to people here.

Well, no I am sure, it's because the aim is to ignore and down play the massive and significant changes between TOS to ENT into one amorphous blob but exaggerate DSC to the point where it is so different it may as well be compared to Star Wars as much as to other Star Trek. It also means you have to make ridiculous twister-like bends in logic to try work out why PIC is doing something to include DSC content alongside the rest of the franchise as though there was any difference worth noting.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    well, given that the gorn were never actually PART of the klingon empire in TVTrek...unless they joined between the end of DS9 and the start of picard, i don't see how they can be separated​​

I was talking about STO; Gorn in the NIMBUS canyon, not about the shows. You take posts too seriously. Are jokes allowed, or are they part of the forbidden fun?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    OK Artan, you are wrong about a lot of things. But before I explain that, I want make something clear: I like disco AND I like disco klingons. The reason I like disco klingons is because they DO look weird and different from the klingons we were used to from TNG. That's not to say I didn't like TNG klingons, because I do. But I also liked this weird new "re-imagining" of the design too.

Anyway, back you being wrong. Here is an earlier comment you made:

K'Vort. They also had prominent TNG style Klingons all over DSC series 1. Just because T'Kuvma and Kol were bald it doesn't mean they're not TNG style Klingons.

L'Rell and the other coneheads are nothing like Kol who's nothing like L'Rell's uncle who's nothing like the Ferengi looking council woman.

So you are saying that T'Kuvma and Kol are TNG Klingons, just bald. AND you are saying that T'Kuvma and Kol are NOT like the "coneheads". Well...no:

GbFrTQ7.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

It's true that their' heads might not be quite AS coned AS L'Rell's head is, but it's also clearly not a "normal" TNG Klingon head either. As proof of that point, just compare the shape of T'Kuvma and Kol's heads above with his father's head:

00003569.jpg

Kol's father clearly has a more normal shaped head depth. It's not even very different from Tyler's in that scene. So you are wrong that T'Kuvma and Kol are TNG style Klingons, just bald. And you are also wrong that there were TNG-style Klingons "all over the place" in disco S1.

S2 clearly made a significant shift in Klingon appearance. They still had the weird coneheads around (because they couldn't completely disregard what they had shown in S1), but they started adding much more familiar looks like K'vort who you mentioned earlier:

481124.jpg

TL;DR: Disco Klingons in S1 were quite different from traditional TNG Klingons. That's ok, I liked it. And in S2 they intentionally added more traditional looks. And I like that too. I think the new amount of Klingon variety is cool.

But please stop making false statements that are so easily dis-proven with pictures.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Acknowledging my own guilt in this situation, could we maybe take all this disco Klingon talk elsewhere? This thread is for Picard, so despite a picture of Worf all this disco klingon stuff is still pretty far away from that. If someone else wants to start a new thread for that, cool.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    We haven't even seen a Klingon yet in Star Trek Picard, so maybe move that discussion somewhere else where it doesn't bother people that want to talk about Picard in the thread about Picard. Just a suggestion, I am not your mo(m)derator.

EDIT: Hah, apparently missed thegrandnagus1 last message, even though we're 1h apart. Thanks.

---

I was surprised how quickly episode 2 was over. Not being able to binge all episodes can really be harsh. On the other hand, that leaves a whole week to discuss every nitty-gritty detail.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    I suspect if we see a Klingon, it'll be worf and thus they'll go with the tradtional make up.

regarding Picard's fate I definatly agree this'll be his swan song. Patrick Stewart is about 80, and his age is really beginning to show, I can't imagine them locking into a "potentially 7 year series" with this, my guess is we'll get 1-3 seasons, and the series will then end
  • Options
    I suspect if we see a Klingon, it'll be worf and thus they'll go with the tradtional make up.

regarding Picard's fate I definatly agree this'll be his swan song. Patrick Stewart is about 80, and his age is really beginning to show, I can't imagine them locking into a "potentially 7 year series" with this, my guess is we'll get 1-3 seasons, and the series will then end

Agreed. I'm actually hoping for a Picard "trilogy" (3 seasons), but yes this is probably going to be the end of his story.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    I hope he doesn't die at the end of the series. I feel like it would be cliche. Almost Logan-esque even.
    Post edited by hawku001x on
  • Options
    I just finished watching "Generations" again. First, it's a damn good movie; way better than I remember. Second, I thought it fit in nicely with Picard; with all the talk of time catching up with you and things left undone. Third, it was so weird seeing the Ent-D with the movie lighting. Some of the scenes looked like there were literally no lights on in the room, with the only light coming through the window. Anyway, I would recommend it as a rewatch to enhance your viewing of Picard 👍

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    hawku001x wrote: »
    I hope he doesn't die at the end of the series. I feel like it would be cliche. Almost Logan-esque even.

you say that like Logan was a bad movie, not only was it excellent, but I'd not be at all suprised if Patrick Stewart would admit that it might in part have held the genisis of Picard.

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @captainbrian11 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > you say that like Logan was a bad movie, not only was it excellent, but I'd not be at all suprised if Patrick Stewart would admit that it might in part have held the genisis of Picard.

When I saw Logan just a wewk before Picard I knew why Stewart agreed. And his part was great. But I would strongly disagree with Logan being a good movie. My wife and I dubbed it 'Angry, Old and Tired - Everybody Dies' and couldn't stop riffing due to the incredible cheesiness and almost less than one dimensional disney villians. 😂
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    differant strokes for differant folks. but yeah it's definatly the reason why we got Picard. Stewart I think after doing it realized how intreasting playing an old declining hero can be.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    discovery's 'F-bomb' got such a huge reaction since it was the first time it happened - picard got less of one because it had already happened once...but it was most certainly not 'meh' - there was still a LOT of people getting into a pearl-clutching tizzy over it​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    I personally have never had a problem with foul language, if they want to use the 'F' word now that they aren't on network TV then they should fraking use it. I also thought it fit the scene in episode 2 very well, it really underlined just how poorly the conversation was going for Picard.
    eaY7Xxu.png