test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

✯✯✯ STAR TREK PICARD ✯✯✯ (reactions and discussion WITH SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    yistaanyistaan Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    We're told repeatedly of Dahj and Soji's ability to assess information. Dahj found Picard so easily. Soji knew info about the Borg and the Romulan lady she wasn't supposed to know.

These 2 would be a serious threat to whoever sabotaged the synths.

I say Oh isn't a deep cover Romulan agent. She's actually a Starfleet officer who's a Vulcan extremist (not unlike Valeris). She sabotaged the synths to destroy Romulus, the Vulcans' hated enemy.

Her mission was accomplished. However, somehow she found out about Dahj and Soji. With their abilities, they would easily find out she's responsible. So she has to neutralize them (maybe not kill them immediately as she needs them to find Maddox to stop him making more androids).

Oh approaches the Zhat Vash. She blames Romulus' destruction on the rogue synths, and tells them they have a shared goal in destroying Dahj and Soji. Thus the Romulan hater ends up ordering Romulans around.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    voyager ruining the borg doesn't change the facts of what was stated when BoBW first came out - they made a big deal about the borg suddenly going after individuals instead of just technology​​

That was merely the characters referencing the fact that the writers had decided to go a slightly different route with the Borg and their motivations since their first appearance in Q,Who?.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    The Golden Gate in PIC isn't a "solar road", it's a solar array where a road used to be. Where they're going, after all, they don't need... roads.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    also, that solar array has been around in RL time for over a year - we first saw it at the tail end of disco's S2 when everyone is back from xahea being grilled about discovery's 'loss'​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @evilmark444 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > That was merely the characters referencing the fact that the writers had decided to go a slightly different route with the Borg and their motivations since their first appearance in Q,Who?.

Yes, the Borg was rewritten. The colonies weren't assimilated, they were destroyed. They were also Borg children at that point. The whole assimilation nonsense started later. So yes this is a canon conflict, sloppily retconned or only explainable by fan theory and mental gymnastics. The Q, who Borg was a different entity from what we saw later.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    yistaan wrote: »

I say Oh isn't a deep cover Romulan agent. She's actually a Starfleet officer who's a Vulcan extremist (not unlike Valeris). She sabotaged the synths to destroy Romulus, the Vulcans' hated enemy.

Oh approaches the Zhat Vash. She blames Romulus' destruction on the rogue synths, and tells them they have a shared goal in destroying Dahj and Soji. Thus the Romulan hater ends up ordering Romulans around.

Nice, you say she isn't and then later say she is. Even an unwitting pawn on behalf of the Zhat Vash, Oh would of played right into it, doesn't matter if she had no contact with the Zhat Vash, if they pulled enough strings to get her to react the way they want, she'd become in effect an agent of theirs all the same.

Remember Admiral Kennely and the Cardassians? He was being used by the Cardassians to spread the idea the Bajorans were behind the destruction of a Federation colony when infact the Cardassians were behind it and the Admiral got found out by Picard with a trap of his own by using a decoy Bajoran ship. he was an agent of the Cardassians, unwittingly or not.

In the end Oh is still a Romulan agent so far. But now with the meeting between Jurati and Oh (and Jurati show up at Picard's place), i'm suspicious of Jurati, i think she is a plant and she is playing Picard to learn of his mission and objectives so Oh and her Romulan agents can get ahead of it when Jurati reports back. Oh may have blackmailed Jurati into it.

it might be entirely possible Jurati never believed in Picard and she was the antagonist from the start, the one who contacted the Romulans, the one who reprogrammed the androids as someone with significant capability for the task, now she wants to get cosy with Picard to see what he does and she has her agents react to Picard. She might even take an energy round in the shoulder or something to sell the story more convincingly.

Guess episode 4 will cover a bit more of the various characters including Rios.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    I like more and more this show, for now all the characters are interesting, and the visuals are awesome; they make most of the STO content visually outdated; except the disco content. i know STO is an old game, it is not a criticism, only an observation. The devs do what they can with the old sto engine.

edit: btw, I know, it is not comparable; tv show vs game.

but, a rewamp of the current sto rom ground weapons would be welcome, they are oversized, and really less nicer than the ones in Picard show.
    The Picard's ship is very cool, unfortunately I guess that it will be put in this crappy r&d gamble box.

for the moment, I don't try to anticipate the future of the story; I am just looking forward to watch the next episodes, and I appreciate the show.
    Post edited by sennahcherib on
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    but, a rewamp of the current sto rom ground weapons would be welcome, they are oversized, and really less nicer than the ones in Picard show.

I do like the design of the STP romulan disruptors, however it annoys me that they fire red bolts instead of green.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    jstorey219jstorey219 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Has the acid spitting been explained? I'm loving the show and loving seeing Picard back in action, however, the acid spitting in two episodes now is a bit odd.... Is this a newly canonized ability of Romulans? Is this a genetic alteration these certain Romulans went through? Is it a cyanide type capsule they have in their mouths incase they are caught that just happens to also be projected outwards? It's just a bit odd.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    it seems like a capsule, we can hear a sound before the activation of the acid; it is like a sound of something which is broken.

• Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    The Golden Gate in PIC isn't a "solar road", it's a solar array where a road used to be. Where they're going, after all, they don't need... roads.

They don't need solar power either though. It is absurdly primitive compared to matter-antimatter reactors and far less reliable.

It also begs the question, if they already have flying cars (shuttles) why are they retrofitting the roads with solar panels? Shuttles require a level of energy tech that has already surpassed solar panels.
  • Options
    jstorey219jstorey219 Member Posts: 2 Arc User

They don't need solar power either though. It is absurdly primitive compared to matter-antimatter reactors and far less reliable.

It also begs the question, if they already have flying cars (shuttles) why are they retrofitting the roads with solar panels? Shuttles require a level of energy tech that has already surpassed solar panels.

That is assuming that they are still using the solar power. The golden gate bridge is obsolete with the flying technology but they kept it (assuming largely due to its historic nature/symbol of the city) - who is to say that the solar panels were not built in an earlier period, utilized for some point, and then as technology advanced just left there as part of the bridge?
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    jstorey219 wrote: »
    Has the acid spitting been explained? I'm loving the show and loving seeing Picard back in action, however, the acid spitting in two episodes now is a bit odd.... Is this a newly canonized ability of Romulans? Is this a genetic alteration these certain Romulans went through? Is it a cyanide type capsule they have in their mouths incase they are caught that just happens to also be projected outwards? It's just a bit odd.

It seemed pretty obvious that it's the Romulan equivalent of a cyanide pill. Might also explain why humans didn't know how Romulans looked after the Earth-Romulan war - the Romulans must have used capsules like these to destroy their bodies when they knew their ship was going to be lost. (Maybe even with some dead man trigger, so even people dieing too quickly to respond themselves would get their bodies destroyed.) The Romulans are really paranoid.

Antimatter reactors don't actually work as primary energy source for a civilization. You need to produce the antimatter first, and that costs energy. The TNG Technical Manual states that antimatter is produced (for use in starships) on stuff like orbital satellites that use fusion and solar power of some sort.
    Also, antimatter is really dangerous. You don't really want to store it on a planet. A few gram can level a city, a few kilograms could be a continent buster, a few tons and you hope Q or Trelanre are in the mood to puzzle your planets pieces together.

Space is mostly empty, you're probably just losing your ship if something goes wrong. (Though theoretically, all the antimatter aboard a starship coming into contact with matter at the same time could be an extinction level instinct, even if the ship is just in orbit. But the antimatter is probably stored in a manner that makes it unlikely to happen at that efficiency, and we really just see the tiny amount of antimatter in the warp core exploding in typical warp core breach explosions, plus a few secondary explosion from the surface of some broken antimatter storage containers coming into contact with matter and the explosion than hurling off the antimatter and matter in different directions.)

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

That is assuming that they are still using the solar power. The golden gate bridge is obsolete with the flying technology but they kept it (assuming largely due to its historic nature/symbol of the city) - who is to say that the solar panels were not built in an earlier period, utilized for some point, and then as technology advanced just left there as part of the bridge?

That was my point though. They make the road impassable with solar panels, but the only reason to do that is if the civilization no longer needs roads, but if they no longer need roads, they also no longer need solar panels.

Antimatter reactors don't actually work as primary energy source for a civilization. You need to produce the antimatter first, and that costs energy. The TNG Technical Manual states that antimatter is produced (for use in starships) on stuff like orbital satellites that use fusion and solar power of some sort.
    Also, antimatter is really dangerous. You don't really want to store it on a planet. A few gram can level a city, a few kilograms could be a continent buster, a few tons and you hope Q or Trelanre are in the mood to puzzle your planets pieces together.

Space is mostly empty, you're probably just losing your ship if something goes wrong. (Though theoretically, all the antimatter aboard a starship coming into contact with matter at the same time could be an extinction level instinct, even if the ship is just in orbit. But the antimatter is probably stored in a manner that makes it unlikely to happen at that efficiency, and we really just see the tiny amount of antimatter in the warp core exploding in typical warp core breach explosions, plus a few secondary explosion from the surface of some broken antimatter storage containers coming into contact with matter and the explosion than hurling off the antimatter and matter in different directions.)

Yet they do use antimatter on planets. It is one of the main signs of a warp capable civilization as it is the first realistic means of powering warp drive, and of ending energy scarcity in a civilization. I'm sure several episodes in the various series have shown us this concept, though I can't tell you any off the top of my head.

We already can and do produce antimatter on Earth, and scientists have even created antihelium atoms, but antimatter also naturally occurs as close to Earth as the Van Allen belts due to the high energy particle collisions there. And yes it does annihilate in these experiments because it can't ultimately be magnetically contained when it forms neutrally charged anti-atoms. While annihilating them would theoretically be catastrophic if the energy was completely released as photons, it tends not to happen that way, or else we'd already be dead.

Also there is a huge difference in the energy potential between baryons and leptons. Baryon (proton/antiproton/neutron annihilation is where the massive energy release could theoretically occur, while lepton (electron/positron) annihilation is many orders of magnitude smaller in potential.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    foxrocks wrote:
    Yet they do use antimatter on planets. It is one of the main signs of a warp capable civilization as it is the first realistic means of powering warp drive, and of ending energy scarcity in a civilization. I'm sure several episodes in the various series have shown us this concept, though I can't tell you any off the top of my head.
    I am actually fairly confident that the mentioning of antimatter reactions on planet would be a rare exception.
    They tend to detect warp capable species by seing them fly around at warp - unless they have advance observation posts on a habitable planet and see that they're close to developing the tech.

It is also not clear that you always need antimatter to run a warp core. Or rather, we know that isn't the case, because the Romulans use a singularity drive. The exact energy source of the Phoenix is never stated on screen, it could be antimatter, or it could be something less advanced - he just needed to get to Warp 1 for a few minutes at best, not Warp 8 for days.
    foxrocks wrote:
    We already can and do produce antimatter on Earth, and scientists have even created antihelium atoms, but antimatter also naturally occurs as close to Earth as the Van Allen belts due to the high energy particle collisions there. And yes it does annihilate in these experiments because it can't ultimately be magnetically contained when it forms neutrally charged anti-atoms. While annihilating them would theoretically be catastrophic if the energy was completely released as photons, it tends not to happen that way, or else we'd already be dead.
    Antimatter exists natural in incredibly tiny amounts. One of the mysteries of our current scientific understanding is why there is much less antimatter than matter (and if there wasn't such a difference, we wouldn't exist, because it would have annihilated each other.)

And yes, we can produce antimatter nowadays. In extremely tiny amounts. So tiny we don't express it in gram or something like that, but simply in the number of antimatter atoms created.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    On 26 April 2011, ALPHA announced that they had trapped 309 antihydrogen atoms, some for as long as 1,000 seconds (about 17 minutes). This was longer than neutral antimatter had ever been trapped before.[64] ALPHA has used these trapped atoms to initiate research into the spectral properties of the antihydrogen.

The biggest limiting factor in the large-scale production of antimatter is the availability of antiprotons. Recent data released by CERN states that, when fully operational, their facilities are capable of producing ten million antiprotons per minute.[66] Assuming a 100% conversion of antiprotons to antihydrogen, it would take 100 billion years to produce 1 gram or 1 mole of antihydrogen (approximately 6.02×10^23 atoms of anti-hydrogen).
    Not mentioned here is how much energy it costs. But Particle Accelerators aren't exactly cheap to run, CERN requires a bout 1.2 Terrawatthours per year, which is a third of the energy requirement of the entire canton of Geneva (about 500,000 people).

The efficiency seems considerably better in the age of Star Trek, though:
    As used aboard the USS Enterprise, antimatter is first generated at major Starfleet fueling facilities by combined solar-fusion charge reversal devices, which process proton and neutron beams into antideuterons, and are joined by a positron beam accelerator to produce antihydrogen (specifically antideuterium). Even with the added solar dynamo input, there is a net energy loss of 24% using this process, but this loss is deemed acceptable by Starfleet to conduct distant interstellar operations.
    Still, they lose energy from producing antimatter. Hence, it is more a highly efficient and highly available energy source, e.g. you can extract a lot energy out of every unit of mass of your fuel, and you also can turn it into energy rapidly.
    foxrocks wrote:
    Also there is a huge difference in the energy potential between baryons and leptons. Baryon (proton/antiproton/neutron annihilation is where the massive energy release could theoretically occur, while lepton (electron/positron) annihilation is many orders of magnitude smaller in potential.

It doesn't really matter what specifically you use, the mass is what is important. But the TNG and DS9 manual state they use Deuterium and Antideuterium. (which means proton + neutron + electron vs antiproton + antineutron + positron).
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

That was my point though. They make the road impassable with solar panels, but the only reason to do that is if the civilization no longer needs roads, but if they no longer need roads, they also no longer need solar panels.

With transparent aluminum or a stronger transparent material, it should be possible to create a solar roadway that would not be damaged by vehicles travelling over it. However, the usefulness of the solar panels would be useless most of the time due to the vehicles blocking the sunlight. So solar roadways would only be useful in residential areas not roads with high-density traffic like the Golden Gate Bridge. A road covered with Thermoelectric Generators could be useful for roads with high-density traffic. Especially, for areas like Canada in the winter.

As far as using solar panels on Earth in the 24th Century, it is extremely wasteful. It is far better to have the solar panels orbiting Earth or better around the Sun and transmit the energy where it needs to go. A solar panel 1,000 km away from the Sun would generate far more power than it being on Earth.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I liked the latest episode, especially when he met new Wolverine.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @evilmark444 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > That was merely the characters referencing the fact that the writers had decided to go a slightly different route with the Borg and their motivations since their first appearance in Q,Who?.

Yes, the Borg was rewritten. The colonies weren't assimilated, they were destroyed. They were also Borg children at that point. The whole assimilation nonsense started later. So yes this is a canon conflict, sloppily retconned or only explainable by fan theory and mental gymnastics. The Q, who Borg was a different entity from what we saw later.
    Actually, pay closer attention. Those colonies were not destroyed. They were REMOVED. I believe they were described as being "scooped up". IE the Borg STOLE the entire colony much like how they once cut off part of the ENT-D's saucer and stole that.

In Voyager we see that the Borg can and DO assimilate children. We don't SEE babies, but given how young some of them are it's possible they were babies when assimilated. So those colonies? if there were any babies, the Borg would simply assimilate them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    So. The La Sirena. Was that not made for Star Trek Online? It screams hull patterns and types to experiment with.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    psiameese wrote: »
    So. The La Sirena. Was that not made for Star Trek Online? It screams hull patterns and types to experiment with.

I am more interested in his shipwide replicator. I wonder if it is able to change its interior to whatever the Captain wants since the bridge looks like a Holodeck with the ENH not needing a mobile emitter and replicating a drink without any sign of a replicator.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    They say in random dialog things about using solar, wind, hydro, and whatnot at various times, the bridge just shows it for once instead of talking about it. It is not surprising that they would, it makes sense to diversify, and with their technology solar panels are probably trivial to print up with an old fabricator, or even a replicator (though replication seems like it would probably take more energy than the panels would generate over their lifetime), and the energy could be used for phantom loads and whatnot and limited emergency backup for the all too often times when something drains the energy from or shuts down their higher tech power sources.

I read something about the old roadbed is covered in pipes and cables and the panels provide a surface on top of them that can be walked or driven on if needed, though I am not sure that was a canon source. It does make sense though, instead of stringing them around willy-nilly underwater. Even today there are solar paving panels that can take being driven on so it is not unreasonable for those on the bridge to be tough enough to do that.
  • Options
    > @starkaos said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I am more interested in his shipwide replicator. I wonder if it is able to change its interior to whatever the Captain wants since the bridge looks like a Holodeck with the ENH not needing a mobile emitter and replicating a drink without any sign of a replicator.

This is somethimg I really dislike: It looks like tech is stagnant now, as Discovery's and Picard's sets are virtually indistinguishable we see the same tech used in both periods. And now Picard also uses the ship cgi from Discovery it seems like tech doesn't evolve at all, like in Star Wars.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    > @starkaos said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I am more interested in his shipwide replicator. I wonder if it is able to change its interior to whatever the Captain wants since the bridge looks like a Holodeck with the ENH not needing a mobile emitter and replicating a drink without any sign of a replicator.

This is somethimg I really dislike: It looks like tech is stagnant now, as Discovery's and Picard's sets are virtually indistinguishable we see the same tech used in both periods. And now Picard also uses the ship cgi from Discovery it seems like tech doesn't evolve at all, like in Star Wars.

Unfortunately that is what happens in Hollywood when production teams are contemptuous of the history of a show and try to "modernize" it for "today's viewers", they tend to make everything the same fuzzy generic style no matter when it is set in the in-story timeline. It is especially true of movie divisions that get ahold of TV series, the one-shot movie mindset tends to override everything else.

The problem with DSC style is that they tried to work backwards from The Undiscovered Country and mix elements of Kelvin, TNG, and ENT together (along with some weird sci-fantasy like Warhammer 40K or whatever) with generic sci-fi elements from other shows like Killjoys and Dark Matter and the rest. They never once tried to adapt The Cage or TOS aesthetics (beyond three handheld props) for a show set between the two, so of course when it comes time to do a post-TNG show with the same derivative mindset it comes out looking like little or no progress has been made in technology.

That is not to say the show is unwatchable or whatever (just like DSC is not bad either as long as you are not expecting it to look like anything else from Trek set in that timeframe), just that they would have done much better if they had used some creativity and updated the googie futuristic aesthetic of The Cage/TOS for DSC so the progression would have been tied to the looks instead of just to function. That is a very important key tenet of visual storytelling, fashion (both clothing and objects/architecture) tells the viewer when it is they are looking at even more than any of the dialog does, and DSC dropped that ball so hard it smashed though the floor into the basement.
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    Aestetics =/ technology.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    > @starkaos said:
    > (Quote)
    >

Unfortunately that is what happens in Hollywood when production teams are contemptuous of the history of a show and try to "modernize" it for "today's viewers", they tend to make everything the same fuzzy generic style no matter when it is set in the in-story timeline. It is especially true of movie divisions that get ahold of TV series, the one-shot movie mindset tends to override everything else.

The problem with DSC style is that they tried to work backwards from The Undiscovered Country and mix elements of Kelvin, TNG, and ENT together (along with some weird sci-fantasy like Warhammer 40K or whatever) with generic sci-fi elements from other shows like Killjoys and Dark Matter and the rest. They never once tried to adapt The Cage or TOS aesthetics (beyond three handheld props) for a show set between the two, so of course when it comes time to do a post-TNG show with the same derivative mindset it comes out looking like little or no progress has been made in technology.

That is not to say the show is unwatchable or whatever (just like DSC is not bad either as long as you are not expecting it to look like anything else from Trek set in that timeframe), just that they would have done much better if they had used some creativity and updated the googie futuristic aesthetic of The Cage/TOS for DSC so the progression would have been tied to the looks instead of just to function. That is a very important key tenet of visual storytelling, fashion (both clothing and objects/architecture) tells the viewer when it is they are looking at even more than any of the dialog does, and DSC dropped that ball so hard it smashed though the floor into the basement.

No this is what happens when you are trying to save money on a show. This is why the TNG era reused WOK era ships, that some sets were redresses of sets from the movies.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    Aestetics =/ technology.

And somehow, Discovery had more advanced holographic technology than TNG and far better replicators than TOS. While the aesthetics can change, the technology has to match the era.
  • Options
    > @khan5000 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > No this is what happens when you are trying to save money on a show. This is why the TNG era reused WOK era ships, that some sets were redresses of sets from the movies.

The RL reasons are obvious. Just like physical models, making CGI starships is expensive. But reusing movie props in TNG sort of worked, especially since it's mostly illustrated that it's older, retrofitted tech. Sometimes even the models have been tinkered with. In PIC we see the same ship models used in DIS as they were, the holo communication is the same (still makes no sense) and so on.

No matter how much mental gymnastics one does, the matter of fact is that the new Star Trek-verse does not build on what came before, it creates new designs. Which is fine. But sadly nobody said 'wait a moment, those shows are meant to play 200 years apart' but instead they just use all the assets for all the shows (S31 and the other live action shows will probably be almost indistinguishable from one another. VOY and DS9 were also spin offs using the same sets). In PICs case this is very unfortunate.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »
    Aestetics =/ technology.

And somehow, Discovery had more advanced holographic technology than TNG and far better replicators than TOS. While the aesthetics can change, the technology has to match the era.

Actually, the holotechnology in DSC is very poor, like the staticky unstable analog holograms in Star Wars instead of the stable realistic holograms that Star Trek has always had (with the possible exception of ENT).

Dialog in TOS made it clear that holograms looked solid and real except that they were not actually material so things would go through them. In fact, once they found out that Losira was a weaponized hologram their only confusion was as to how she could touch and manipulate solid objects, not that she looked real.

Later, holograms in TNG not only looked real, they were actually physically solid, possibly from the Federation reverse-engineering the Kalandan technology that made the Losira solid hologram possible.

You might have a point about the replicators though it is a bit iffy. In TOS they actually show food, cups, plates, trays and silverware being replicated in the mess hall, but most other stuff (including the uniforms) are apparently made in "fabricators" instead of replicators, so the replicator tech might have been limited to food and simple objects or something, or it may have been still experimental and limited to capital ships or whatever.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    So did anyone catch the canon mistake in this weeks episode? Hugh made the comment that that room full of romulans were the only romulans that were ever assimilated.....which couldn't be the case because in that voyager episode with the cooperative, one of the leading members of that community was former assimilated romulan. and I doubt he was the only one in his group that was assimilated either
    I caught on to this, although as I was reminded in another forum, Huge does explicitly wrap that comment up when he says 'as far as he is aware'; I suppose Romulans wouldn't be as open about their losses to the Borg, not only from a military point of view, but also an entire society; they're not going to want to frighten their civilians (of which that Delta Quadrant Romulan was - a civilian).
    guljarol wrote: »
    Still bears the question, why the guy's brain didn't fry like other assimilated Rommies. Maybe it's more individual matter.
    I'm gunna go out on a limb here and suggest that the Romulans assimilated here (all of which were from the same ship - and relatively recent) were intentionally set up to be assimilated, or were willing to sacrifice themselves. It's possible the Romulan Empire had been trying to capture Borg technology or something, and so set about capturing a Cube, and that's exactly what happened.
    Also, on the 'hugh should have known what he said wasn't accurate' side of things, I had almost forgotten, they mention romulans being assimilated even in early tng. Remember all those border colonies that got scooped up by what turned out to be the borg? There were fed and romulan colonies involved in that.
    I don't believe it was ever specifically stated that the Borg had assimilated any of those colonies, but rather had wiped them out - though admittedly, it would be odd for the Borg not to acquire a few new drones in the process. I guess we'll just have to put this down to Hugh being kept in the dark somewhere?

Alternatively, Hugh may have meant to say or imply that the Romulan group he's caring for are the only Borg assimilated that they've freed. It's possible some lines were left out of the scene or something.
    they didn't start assimilating biologicals until BoBW, though - the neutral zone happened at least a year prior to that​​
    voyager ruining the borg doesn't change the facts of what was stated when BoBW first came out - they made a big deal about the borg suddenly going after individuals instead of just technology​​
    Their focus may have been on technology, but to imply they didn't add biologicals when on their technological quest is a little absurd. Even with technology, they still need drones, and the Borg don't reproduce in the normal manner.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222