What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Strategema
    I have to admit I never bought into the MU theory the until now, wow what the heck happened to the Prime Captain Lorca?

I find it funny that the federation would have lost the Klingon war without a Terran fighting for it.

But I don't think Captain Lorca is evil, just very, very dark, and dangerous.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    that was the whole point the mirror universe was supposed to indicate from the start - a dark reflection of the prime universe...unfortunately, way too many people equate dark with evil​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru
    unfortunately, way too many people equate dark with evil​​

The problem with the MU is the way it has been established before DIS.
    DIS does take liberties where appropriate, but won't turn the "evil terran empire" on its head.
  • Options
    stobot#7771 stobot Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    Warning: large pics...

tnELf38.jpg

OKWvdib.jpg

SzhIObN.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

DIS does take liberties where appropriate, but won't turn the "evil terran empire" on its head.

By our morals, the Terran Empire is evil with its slavery and eating sapient life. Although, Kelpien cuisine might be the Terran Empire version of Wagyu Beef and other exotic foods that are limited to the extremely wealthy. After all, very few people will spend over $300 per pound for a nice juicy steak. So it is likely that only the Emperor and her inner circle eat sapient life.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Red Alert
    [
    starkaos wrote: »

By our morals, the Terran Empire is evil with its slavery and eating sapient life. Although, Kelpien cuisine might be the Terran Empire version of Wagyu Beef and other exotic foods that are limited to the extremely wealthy. After all, very few people will spend over $300 per pound for a nice juicy steak. So it is likely that only the Emperor and her inner circle eat sapient life.

If Kelpiens are yummy, who cares if they're sapient? ;)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    hey, saru himself said his species is a prey species, which is why they developed that sense...and all prey are food​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Red Alert
    reyan01 wrote: »
    garaks31 wrote: »
    New Photos From STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Episode 13 “What’s Past Is Prologue”

http://www.treknews.net/2018/01/24/preview-star-trek-dsc-past-prologue/

Hmmm - raises some interesting questions, though I'll refrain from voicing them due to the lack of 'hide text' spoiler function on these forums.
    The forums support it, you just have to manually type the tags.

The tags are [s poiler] and [/s poiler], without the spaces obviously.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    [

If Kelpiens are yummy, who cares if they're sapient? ;)

The Federation obviously since they are supposed to represent some ideal version of humanity.

It is actually surprising how little the idea about aliens eating humans or humans eating alien is used. I don't watch horror movies so there might be a lot of examples in that genre, but I doubt they include humans eating aliens. V had a couple of scenes where the Vistors ate humans and a Voyager episode almost had Harry Kim eaten by a female alien. However, they are similar to how Praying Mantises mate rather than consuming humans as food. There was a Futurama episode where the humans ate millions of unborn alien children because they looked like a Fast Food snack.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Pretty sure he was making a joke... Also the joke was probably targeted to why TERRANS eat them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Strategema
    > @garaks31 said:
    > sword ...
    >
    > https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUZTPZXX0AAZLei.jpg

I wouldn't mind if that sword ended up in sto.
  • Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    garaks31 wrote: »
    Isn't that the 1980's era prop from "He Man and the Masters of the Universe"? (the dolf lundgren cut.)
    No...
    latest?cb=20130912205314
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Strategema
    One thing that no one has talked about is that the Mycellian network appears to also be somekind of living, afterlife amung many other things.
  • Options
    lordgyor wrote: »
    One thing that no one has talked about is that the Mycellian network appears to also be somekind of living, afterlife amung many other things.

Not necessarily. It could be the Mycellian network communicating with Stamets by using an image that Stamets is comfortable with. Just like how the Prophets communicated with Sisko. Another possibility is Culber's soul due to his connection with Stamets was sent to the Mycellian network. He died while in the proximity of Stamets which has a direct connection to the Mycellian Network. So until we see other dead people in the Mycellian network, then there is no way to know if the Mycellian network is an afterlife.

Although, an omnipresent network that contained every single parallel universe that existed would certainly make it easier for souls to go to the afterlife. Also, it has the ability to change the surroundings based on the wishes of the inhabitants which is a possibility for what the afterlife will entail instead of the boring Christian version of sitting on a cloud for eternity while playing a harp. Say what you want about the This is the End movie, but its version of heaven was far more interesting than the Christian model. The Good Place's afterlife is probably the most interesting that I have seen.
  • Options
    jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    The only instance in the Mirror Darkly opening that indicated its history might be completely different from the Prime Universe is the planting of the Terran Empire flag on the moon. Although, that could have happened after the Phoenix or at least in the 21st Century due to how advanced the EV Suit looked compared to what Neil Armstrong wore. Before the planting the flag scene, every part of the opening was showing the darker side of our history. Instead of showing peaceful exploration, it was showing conquest.

As far as the writers are concerned, it could be due to the Terran Empire making the various stories fit with their vicious narrative. After all, various dictatorships have been known to rewrite history. If the Mirror Universe Humans tried to stamp out Equality, Freedom, and Cooperation for thousands of years, then there is no need for the Historical Revisionism explanation.

Phlox: I was merely researching classical literature. I wanted to compare our major works with their counterparts in the other universe. I skimmed a few of the more celebrated narratives. The stories were similar in some respects, but their characters were weak and compassionate. With the exception of Shakespeare, of course. From what I could tell, his plays were equally grim in both universes.

The thing that made the Terran Empire so scary is the idea that we could become it. World War III ended in 2053 or 10 years before Cochrane made his famous encounter with the Vulcans. Colonel Green made a speech in 2056 asking for the impure to be purged from society. It is easy to see how if humans accepted Colonel Green's arguments in one of their darkest times, the Prime Universe would have had the Terran Empire instead of the Federation. If the Mirror Universe's Earth literature is filled with the main characters being strong and cruel instead of weak and compassionate, then it is very easy for Mirror Universe Humans to be swayed by purging the impure from society while it would be far more difficult for us to make the same vile decision.

The real problem is that Roddenberry, and the producers afterward seemed to give no thought whatsoever to how the Terran Empire came to be, and how and when it diverged from our Universe...or even if it diverged at all. The basic premise seemed to be that the Federation defined what the producers held to be good, and the Mirror Universe was but a caricature of what humans would be like if they rejected everything the producers held to be good. The Empire, as a actual system of government, is ridiculous. Even the Totalitarian Regimes of the 20th century....the USSR and Third Reich, for example...would never tolerate the situation in their fleet, where officers moved up the ranks by assassinating or killing their superiors in duels. Yeah, the upper reaches of power, and especially the Emperor's Court, would be GoT 24-7, but out in the Fleet any drama that got in the way of the Fleet keeping the Empire's boot firmly planted on the necks of the subject races would be dealt with quickly and harshly.

Your Phlox quote heavily implies that the attitudes of humans were completely different as far back (potentially) as antiquity...I took that scene as him saying that he had basically looked for insight on when the universes set out on opposite paths, and he couldn't find it in classic literature. To use the old RPG term...the Terran Empire is Stupid Evil. They have no ideology, or long term plan, they just do evil things because they can and humans in the Mirror Universe seem in general to be wired to have a predilection for psychopathic behavior. If Roddenberry had intended or them to be a recurring foe intended to be taken seriously, they would have modeled them on one of the 20th Century's Totalitarian States, probably the Third Reich.

• Options
    The only instance in the Mirror Darkly opening that indicated its history might be completely different from the Prime Universe is the planting of the Terran Empire flag on the moon. Although, that could have happened after the Phoenix or at least in the 21st Century due to how advanced the EV Suit looked compared to what Neil Armstrong wore. Before the planting the flag scene, every part of the opening was showing the darker side of our history. Instead of showing peaceful exploration, it was showing conquest.

As far as the writers are concerned, it could be due to the Terran Empire making the various stories fit with their vicious narrative. After all, various dictatorships have been known to rewrite history. If the Mirror Universe Humans tried to stamp out Equality, Freedom, and Cooperation for thousands of years, then there is no need for the Historical Revisionism explanation.

Phlox: I was merely researching classical literature. I wanted to compare our major works with their counterparts in the other universe. I skimmed a few of the more celebrated narratives. The stories were similar in some respects, but their characters were weak and compassionate. With the exception of Shakespeare, of course. From what I could tell, his plays were equally grim in both universes.

The thing that made the Terran Empire so scary is the idea that we could become it. World War III ended in 2053 or 10 years before Cochrane made his famous encounter with the Vulcans. Colonel Green made a speech in 2056 asking for the impure to be purged from society. It is easy to see how if humans accepted Colonel Green's arguments in one of their darkest times, the Prime Universe would have had the Terran Empire instead of the Federation. If the Mirror Universe's Earth literature is filled with the main characters being strong and cruel instead of weak and compassionate, then it is very easy for Mirror Universe Humans to be swayed by purging the impure from society while it would be far more difficult for us to make the same vile decision.

Your Phlox quote heavily implies that the attitudes of humans were completely different as far back (potentially) as antiquity...I took that scene as him saying that he had basically looked for insight on when the universes set out on opposite paths, and he couldn't find it in classic literature. To use the old RPG term...the Terran Empire is Stupid Evil. They have no ideology, or long term plan, they just do evil things because they can and humans in the Mirror Universe seem in general to be wired to have a predilection for psychopathic behavior. If Roddenberry had intended or them to be a recurring foe intended to be taken seriously, they would have modeled them on one of the 20th Century's Totalitarian States, probably the Third Reich.

Totalitarian States rewrite history to fit their narrative. Historical Revisionism after World War III could explain Phlox's quote. Georgiou's quote about getting rid of Equality, Freedom, and Cooperation for millenia is more indicative that the two universes set on opposite paths much earlier.

The whole concept of a Mirror Universe or any parallel universe that is similar to the original universe is idiotic. The probability of two parallel universes having the same people is astronomical. After all, there are a ton of choices that parents have to make in in their life order to create a person. So the Mirror Universe would not have Kirk, Spock, Sarek, Voq, Georgiou, or Burnham unless there is some omnipotent being responsible. The only reasonable explanation for the Parallels episode having hundreds of thousands of Enterprise-D with identical people would be that reality is a simulation since all it takes for someone to not exist is a different outcome of a single choice.

Then there is the problem with the name. A Mirror Universe would have pacifist Klingons and emotional Vulcans. A more appropriate term would be the Mirror Earth Universe since only the humans changed.
  • Options
    Strategema
    > @starkaos said:
    > lordgyor wrote: »
    >
    > One thing that no one has talked about is that the Mycellian network appears to also be somekind of living, afterlife amung many other things.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Not necessarily. It could be the Mycellian network communicating with Stamets by using an image that Stamets is comfortable with. Just like how the Prophets communicated with Sisko. Another possibility is Culber's soul due to his connection with Stamets was sent to the Mycellian network. He died while in the proximity of Stamets which has a direct connection to the Mycellian Network. So until we see other dead people in the Mycellian network, then there is no way to know if the Mycellian network is an afterlife.
    >
    > Although, an omnipresent network that contained every single parallel universe that existed would certainly make it easier for souls to go to the afterlife. Also, it has the ability to change the surroundings based on the wishes of the inhabitants which is a possibility for what the afterlife will entail instead of the boring Christian version of sitting on a cloud for eternity while playing a harp. Say what you want about the This is the End movie, but its version of heaven was far more interesting than the Christian model. The Good Place's afterlife is probably the most interesting that I have seen.

The conversation seemed to make it very clear that it functions as a sort of afterlife, "nothing ever really dies".

Serious the network seems like the greatest discovery in star trek, dwarfing warp drive, replicators, transporters, even Dyson Spheres.

Do the Prophets of Bajor, the Q, understand and use the network, the traveller?
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    > @starkaos said:
    > jrdobbsjr#3264 wrote: »
    >
    > starkaos wrote: »
    >
    > The only instance in the Mirror Darkly opening that indicated its history might be completely different from the Prime Universe is the planting of the Terran Empire flag on the moon. Although, that could have happened after the Phoenix or at least in the 21st Century due to how advanced the EV Suit looked compared to what Neil Armstrong wore. Before the planting the flag scene, every part of the opening was showing the darker side of our history. Instead of showing peaceful exploration, it was showing conquest.
    >
    > As far as the writers are concerned, it could be due to the Terran Empire making the various stories fit with their vicious narrative. After all, various dictatorships have been known to rewrite history. If the Mirror Universe Humans tried to stamp out Equality, Freedom, and Cooperation for thousands of years, then there is no need for the Historical Revisionism explanation.
    >
    > Phlox: I was merely researching classical literature. I wanted to compare our major works with their counterparts in the other universe. I skimmed a few of the more celebrated narratives. The stories were similar in some respects, but their characters were weak and compassionate. With the exception of Shakespeare, of course. From what I could tell, his plays were equally grim in both universes.
    >
    > The thing that made the Terran Empire so scary is the idea that we could become it. World War III ended in 2053 or 10 years before Cochrane made his famous encounter with the Vulcans. Colonel Green made a speech in 2056 asking for the impure to be purged from society. It is easy to see how if humans accepted Colonel Green's arguments in one of their darkest times, the Prime Universe would have had the Terran Empire instead of the Federation. If the Mirror Universe's Earth literature is filled with the main characters being strong and cruel instead of weak and compassionate, then it is very easy for Mirror Universe Humans to be swayed by purging the impure from society while it would be far more difficult for us to make the same vile decision.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Your Phlox quote heavily implies that the attitudes of humans were completely different as far back (potentially) as antiquity...I took that scene as him saying that he had basically looked for insight on when the universes set out on opposite paths, and he couldn't find it in classic literature. To use the old RPG term...the Terran Empire is Stupid Evil. They have no ideology, or long term plan, they just do evil things because they can and humans in the Mirror Universe seem in general to be wired to have a predilection for psychopathic behavior. If Roddenberry had intended or them to be a recurring foe intended to be taken seriously, they would have modeled them on one of the 20th Century's Totalitarian States, probably the Third Reich.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Totalitarian States rewrite history to fit their narrative. Historical Revisionism after World War III could explain Phlox's quote. Georgiou's quote about getting rid of Equality, Freedom, and Cooperation for millenia is more indicative that the two universes set on opposite paths much earlier.
    >
    > The whole concept of a Mirror Universe or any parallel universe that is similar to the original universe is idiotic. The probability of two parallel universes having the same people is astronomical. After all, there are a ton of choices that parents have to make in in their life order to create a person. So the Mirror Universe would not have Kirk, Spock, Sarek, Voq, Georgiou, or Burnham unless there is some omnipotent being responsible. The only reasonable explanation for the Parallels episode having hundreds of thousands of Enterprise-D with identical people would be that reality is a simulation since all it takes for someone to not exist is a different outcome of a single choice.
    >
    > Then there is the problem with the name. A Mirror Universe would have pacifist Klingons and emotional Vulcans. A more appropriate term would be the Mirror Earth Universe since only the humans changed.

Given Mirror Georgiou's full name in the show, it would seem that the divergent point in history might have been the fall of the Roman Empire. In the Mirrorverse, the Roman Empire never fell, but instead flourished until a similar incident to WWIII happened (possibly due to a Mirror version of the Augments), resulting in a somewhat similar chain of events with Cochrane making the first warp flight leading to First Contact. Only this time the Vulcans did not encounter humanity broken by a devastating war, but instead encountered a hungry, injured wolf desperately seeking to reclaim their former glory. Unwittingly, they provided the tools the tattered Empire needed to do just that, which led to what we have now. At first, the Empire was willing to utilize all the tools at their disposal (including working with aliens) to accomplish that task, but the arrival of the Defiant was a game changer, allowing the Empire to fully divest themselves of the aliens and go for a full all-human Empire at a much quicker pace than they had initially intended.

The idea of the Mirror Universe having the same people in it is not so far fetched when you fully examine the multiverse theory and all of its related theories. Basically, there are a theoretically infinite number of parallel universes, each one slightly or wildly different than the rest. It could be a minor difference such as a plant producing an extra flower or a huge one like Hitler winning World War II. Each change produces a different outcome, leading down a different historical path.

Now, as the old adage goes: "The more things change, the more they stay the same." This means that even though humanity took on a darker, more violent methodology, events still coalesced together to produce people who are dopplegangers to the Prime Universe.

Now, this is not THE Mirror Universe. This is A Mirror Universe. With the multiverse theory and the many-worlds interpretation in play, there are theoretically infinite variations of the Mirrorverse, such as one where the Terran Empire never fell after encountering Prime Kirk, one where they never encountered Prime Kirk, one where they all died out after WWIII, one where the Defiant never came through, or one where the Rebellion in the 24th century was quelled in short order. The possibilities are, quite literally, infinite.

The Prime Universe just hit the universe-hopping jackpot numerous times by going to the same place, which makes me wonder if it was truly blind luck, or if there was something else in play to make that happen.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    > @starkaos said:
    >
    > One thing that no one has talked about is that the Mycellian network appears to also be somekind of living, afterlife amung many other things.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Not necessarily. It could be the Mycellian network communicating with Stamets by using an image that Stamets is comfortable with. Just like how the Prophets communicated with Sisko. Another possibility is Culber's soul due to his connection with Stamets was sent to the Mycellian network. He died while in the proximity of Stamets which has a direct connection to the Mycellian Network. So until we see other dead people in the Mycellian network, then there is no way to know if the Mycellian network is an afterlife.
    >
    > Although, an omnipresent network that contained every single parallel universe that existed would certainly make it easier for souls to go to the afterlife. Also, it has the ability to change the surroundings based on the wishes of the inhabitants which is a possibility for what the afterlife will entail instead of the boring Christian version of sitting on a cloud for eternity while playing a harp. Say what you want about the This is the End movie, but its version of heaven was far more interesting than the Christian model. The Good Place's afterlife is probably the most interesting that I have seen.

The conversation seemed to make it very clear that it functions as a sort of afterlife, "nothing ever really dies".

Serious the network seems like the greatest discovery in star trek, dwarfing warp drive, replicators, transporters, even Dyson Spheres.

And yet we have not heard a single thing about the network in any previous Star Trek series. The closest thing to the Mycellian Network was Underspace which is the subspace tunnels that the Vaadwaur used. A possible explanation why we never hear about it besides the obvious is that Discovery never makes it back to the Prime Universe or they were never in the Prime Universe to begin with.

Another possibiility is that it is a sequel of Enterprise and not a prequel of TOS due to the amount of temporal interference during the Temporal Cold War. So the timeline that we know has been permanently erased from history.
  • Options
    There's also the idea that the Mirror exist because it's linked in a way that's difficult for mortals to comprehend.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    There's also the idea that the Mirror exist because it's linked in a way that's difficult for mortals to comprehend.

Like the entire Star Trek multiverse is just a simulation? If we had advanced enough computers, then we could create a simulation of the universe with each npc having their own life.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    > @starkaos said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

And yet we have not heard a single thing about the network in any previous Star Trek series. The closest thing to the Mycellian Network was Underspace which is the subspace tunnels that the Vaadwaur used. A possible explanation why we never hear about it besides the obvious is that Discovery never makes it back to the Prime Universe or they were never in the Prime Universe to begin with.

Another possibiility is that it is a sequel of Enterprise and not a prequel of TOS due to the amount of temporal interference during the Temporal Cold War. So the timeline that we know has been permanently erased from history.

I would say the simplest explanation for the lack of a mention of the Mycelium network is that it's an abandoned technology for some reason. Like those inter dimensional transporters some terrorists in one TNG episode used that were unhealthy.

So far it has caused health issues for three individuals:
    - The Tardigrade entered a catatonic state after a few jumps.
    - Stamets entered a catatonic state after a few jumps.
    - Mirror Stamets entered a catatonic state and also seems to have suffered some disease carried by the Network
    In addition, the Mycelium Network is apparently infected with something that could perhaps destroy it or limit its usefulness permanently.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
This discussion has been closed.