test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

7TH ANNUAL PRIDE WEEKEND!

Comments

• Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Yeah well if you're posting on a Forum, you should expect some differing opinions. It is called 'General Discussion' after all. And like I said, discussion doesn't have to be bad for them as it could be as much an opportunity to show who you are as the original in-game event.

Though I do agree that some comments have been way off-topic.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    "Unearned reverrence." You mean like in your Sig Banner?
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    risian4 wrote: »
    scarling wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    kelshando wrote: »
    This really has nothing to do with the game.. sorry its about your sexuality not the game and its leanings...

This should be in off topic I'm sorry its just the truth.. just because recent events and such does not mean it should be on a game forum that is dedicated to the game.. not real life politics. Please do not say this is STO related.. STO is being used as a forum for your political and sexual views not other other way around.

You make an exception for the LGBT community well better be ready to make that same exception for KKK, BLM, Black Panthers or any religious group out there claiming they want to do a "STO event". There are many other formats to get your event noticed.. but not on this forum...

So, if I read this correctly, every other human being on the planet, except you, is a member of some sort of radical group. Further we should view things exactly the way you do and anyone who does not should be run off.

You did not post here to promote the playing of STO. You posted here to express a personal political view.
    How curious it is you perform the exact same action you accuse the OP of.

Seems like you have some things in common with the OP. Both of you play STO. Both of you post on this forum. Both of you are prideful of who and what you are and what you stand for.

Might wanna be careful there, Mate. Your buddies might read this and see just how much you have in common with the OP and then decide you're not their kinda people anymore. No more monster truck pulls or dating your cousins for you

17th Century attitudes have no place or reason in the 21st.

Why can you not just see them as human beings? Gene would have wanted you to. The fact you cannot makes a complete lie out of every time you tell someone you are a Star Trek fan.

Despite his propaganda Gene wasn't all that tolerant of LGBT people, just FYI.

Roddenberry once spoke of overcoming his own homophobia. In a 1991 interview with The Humanist, he remarked:

My attitude toward homosexuality has changed. I came to the conclusion that I was wrong. I was never someone who hunted down '****' as we used to call them on the street. I would, sometimes, say something anti-homosexual off the top of my head because it was thought, in those days, to be funny. I never really deeply believed those comments, but I gave the impression of being thoughtless in these areas. I have, over many years, changed my attitude about g.a.y. men and women.[15]

According to The Advocate, Roddenberry promised that in the then-upcoming fifth season of TNG, g.a.y. crew members would appear on the show. Other stars of the franchise chimed in, with Leonard Nimoy (who played Spock) offering his support in a 1991 letter to the Los Angeles Times saying, "It is entirely fitting that g.a.y.s. and lesbians will appear unobtrusively aboard the Enterprise—neither objects of pity nor melodramatic attention."[16]

However, Roddenberry died soon after his interviews and the announced plans to have a g.a.y. crew member on TNG never materialized.

Well there was Hawk in First Contact. Not really TNG but it's the same crew. And it does take place on a ship called Enterprise :p

No there wasn't. There's nothing to suggest Hawk was g.a.y in FC. The books don't count for anything (though they do feature g.a.y characters, and some TOS novels even include female characters that aren't just around as scenery).​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I believe it may have been explained somewhere in the background information of that movie. I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Actually Sheldon I am far from neutral or opposed. I voted for same sex marriage. I just have a problem with people saying that an LGBT person who chooses not to be involved is somehow being dishonest (which happened in this thread), and I have a problem with people giving Gene unearned reverence.

I'm not responding to anyone in particular - more to the history of these threads. I personally don't get involved with pretty much anything. Do I feel I should? I dunno. I'm pretty much of an antisocial wallflower and I'm old so it gets difficult.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    The strong possibility that the recent event in Florida was committed by a homosexual man raised to hate homosexuals, and therefore hate himself, is proof that no matter what our individual beliefs are we need to be more accepting of our differences, and teach our children to be more accepting, because hate and rejection can only lead to tragedy.

This post was up for several weekdays and no mods saw fit to move it. Let's consider that argument over for now, and end the pointless fighting. If you aren't planning to post something positive here, please just leave this thread alone. There's no need to derail this into politics anymore than it already has been.

Ya that's why he called and said he pledged himself to ISIS and went to a mosque that another terrorist came from.. because he was **** and hated himself and was hiding behind Islamic Extremism... sure...

Why are people so afraid to take the guy at his word... he said why he did it from the start.. and all you have some room mate claiming otherwise... and please don't bring up he went there a dozen times before.. all his visit were at the club with in a couple weeks.. you know casing the place before he attacked. He also wouldn't of cased out Disney World if it was just a anti-**** issue. Is it so hard to believe that the attack happen because a **** bar is prime example of why they hate us and our free society same reason they attacked the world trade centers, they are symbols of everything they hate about us. Us as in every free society...

Actually, they interviewed surviving patrons of the club, who said that the guy had been coming to the club a couple of times a month for at least two years. In other words, almost a "regular".
    The investigators also found G a y-Dating apps on his phone and computer.

This probably explains why he cased Disney...
    https://www.gaydays.com/Calendar/Main-Calendar/
    But he missed his opportunity by about a week and a half.

IMO..., He was a very angry, closet-TRIBBLE man who couldn't justify his inner feelings with his strict religious background.
    Unfortunately, instead of getting the help he needed, he decided to take a whole bunch of folks with him, while he committed suicide by cop and use the religious fervor of a terrorist group to try and cover up the fact that he was TRIBBLE.

I've know several "closet-g a y" men who, while not going to such an extreme, still did everything in their power to deny/cover up their homosexual feelings, all the while broadcasting it to the world, if anybody actually paid attention.
    <shrug>

I hope the party was a success. Wish I could have attended, but 'Real World' responsibilities interfered.
    B)
    Post edited by daveyny on
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Well my Sig was selected in response to another poster's Sig. Besides that's more of a factual statement.

yeah, i've actually been wondering...who is the man on the right? is that abrams or someone else?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Well my Sig was selected in response to another poster's Sig. Besides that's more of a factual statement.

yeah, i've actually been wondering...who is the man on the right? is that abrams or someone else?​​

It's Alec Peters, the guy trying to get away with IP theft.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    I hope the party was a success. Wish I could have attended, but 'Real World' responsibilities interfered.
    B)

Good news then: it's still coming up next weekend.

DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    B)

Good news then: it's still coming up next weekend.
    Heh...
    Oh...
    Thought it was this weekend.

My reading retention skills are obviously lacking this month.

Minion-oops-640x290.jpg

I think I also got it confused with the "protest" thread.

Post edited by daveyny on
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    The strong possibility that the recent event in Florida was committed by a homosexual man raised to hate homosexuals, and therefore hate himself, is proof that no matter what our individual beliefs are we need to be more accepting of our differences, and teach our children to be more accepting, because hate and rejection can only lead to tragedy.

This post was up for several weekdays and no mods saw fit to move it. Let's consider that argument over for now, and end the pointless fighting. If you aren't planning to post something positive here, please just leave this thread alone. There's no need to derail this into politics anymore than it already has been.

Ya that's why he called and said he pledged himself to ISIS and went to a mosque that another terrorist came from.. because he was **** and hated himself and was hiding behind Islamic Extremism... sure...

Why are people so afraid to take the guy at his word... he said why he did it from the start.. and all you have some room mate claiming otherwise... and please don't bring up he went there a dozen times before.. all his visit were at the club with in a couple weeks.. you know casing the place before he attacked. He also wouldn't of cased out Disney World if it was just a anti-**** issue. Is it so hard to believe that the attack happen because a **** bar is prime example of why they hate us and our free society same reason they attacked the world trade centers, they are symbols of everything they hate about us. Us as in every free society...

He pledged allegiance to multiple extremist groups that openly hate and kill each other, so clearly he was confused even on that point.

I also read an article on CNN the other day that said a patron of that bar had claimed to have received a ... NSFW pic from the shooter while communicating through a LGBT dating app.

Now I did not say it was a fact that he was homosexual, just a strong possibility.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    @kelshando @evilmark444

Lets put this whole thing to bed, it doesnt particularly matter what the sexuall preference(s) of either the shooter or the victims were/are, the fact was that the shooter aimed to, and succeeded, in killing innocent fellow Americans, on behalf of/ part of a terrorist organization that only understand discourse from the barrel of a firearm, just as those who have been actively doing it for the last 60 or years. I dont care who/what you like spooning with at night but thats what I see, and sets me off.

The victims were fellow Americans, and humans, thats all that matters, and they should avenged in kind, irregardless of what "community" they are lumped into.

Stay calm, and party on...
  • Options
    nateham101#2745 nateham101 Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    Not about STO, please move this to Ten Forward. Thanks
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    This thread accomplishes Nothing for the victims in Orlando or the LGBTABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ1234567890^10X3.14 community as a whole, this is simply a thread about a party, a party that applies in subject to few (including friends, family, etc). It is my opinion events like this are nothing more than people trying to attain their 15 minutes of fame (typically being flagrant to gain positive & negative attention). A more rational person would not try to separate their experiences and beliefs within STO, they would celebrate differences EQUALLY. People who actively mention LGBT association here many times use it as leverage to get people to agree with their points of view, which is wrong. If you have an opinion, or postulation, it should stand on its own merit without flashing your sexuality card.

If you want to do something productive, just have a party celebrating the positive human condition, that changes all hearts and minds, not just a select few of people whom fit into your niche belief structure.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Ten forward.
  • Options
    BTW specific groups are targeted by Islamic terrorists all the time. Christians, Jews, anyone else not Muslim. Women who wear clothes and drive... etc. And those groups get slaughtered in the middle east on a daily basis, in fact all of these groups do its just nobody cares because they're all a bunch of sand monkeys and not American citizens.

*extreme sarcasm implied*

So in the end it doesn't matter that much, they just spun the wheel of death and decided it was the LGBT communities turn. No less or more tragic then any other deaths perpetrated by these monsters.
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    BTW specific groups are targeted by Islamic terrorists all the time. Christians, Jews, anyone else not Muslim. Women who wear clothes and drive... etc. And those groups get slaughtered in the middle east on a daily basis, in fact all of these groups do its just nobody cares because they're all a bunch of sand monkeys and not American citizens.

*extreme sarcasm implied*

So in the end it doesn't matter that much, they just spun the wheel of death and decided it was the LGBT communities turn. No less or more tragic then any other deaths perpetrated by these monsters.

Pretty much. I think the big issue is that parties, hashtags, catchphrases, ribbons, likes, and all other kinds of pointless ventures don't actually officially do anything to bring awareness or initiate any sort of meaningful dialogue. Lot's and lots of platitudes for the sake of self aggrandizement. At least some latino's don't need to make up an excuse to party every weekend, they just do, and it's typically awesome, and the only philosophical battles that take place between insiders of the party and outsiders are the music volume.

• Options
    That's true.
  • Options
    We should recognize that a call to move a thread to Ten Forward is a silencing action, especially for a fleet event in game. The motives of those making such requests were not pure and should be held up for scrutiny.
    Not about STO, please move this to Ten Forward. Thanks
    Ten forward.
    Still about an STO fleet event. Still belongs here.

• Options
    midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    This is a Star Trek Online event by a STO fleet.
    This thread will remain here. Please no more debates about this!
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User

Since it is a fleet event, doesn't it technically belong in the fleet section?
    I understand that general discussion gets a lot more attention, but is that really an excuse to introduce a topic in the wrong section?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    questerius wrote: »

Since it is a fleet event, doesn't it technically belong in the fleet section?
    I understand that general discussion gets a lot more attention, but is that really an excuse to introduce a topic in the wrong section?

I'm really curious where you think that is, because it seems to be referencing a nonexistant subforum which is even more silencing than the garbage pit that is Ten Forward.
  • Options
    That's speculation, I for one am just tired od seeing general discussion treated as a dumping ground for everything. It does have a specific purpose as do all the other subforum.
  • Options
    That's speculation, I for one am just tired od seeing general discussion treated as a dumping ground for everything. It does have a specific purpose as do all the other subforum.

How is the word of a community moderator inadequate for you here?

• Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    I for one am tired of seeing people trying to pre-judge the work of mods as an excuse to interject and silence. Don't claim to speak for the mods, if the mods are angry, then the mods will exact their own justice. You don't have to do mod's work for them.

Not just on this, generally. If you are not interested in a topic, just don't engage. If someone asks a question in a thread and you don't know the answer, what's the point in saying "don't know"? If you think a thread is a little pointless, don't add to it. A lot of people here seem very trigger happy in replying to pretty much everything on no other grounds than they should be heard by everyone all the time even when they have nothing to add. It is allowed to just let something be without sharing your vast wisdom.