Install Arc

7TH ANNUAL PRIDE WEEKEND!

akrilonakrilon Member Posts: 137 Arc User
Stonewall Fleet

Presents

The Seventh Annual Pride Weekend

Saturday, June 25th, 2016 - Sunday, June 26th, 2016

pride1.jpg

For the seventh consecutive year, Stonewall Fleet is once again excited to host its annual Pride Weekend of festivities and events, open to all of our amazing friends in the Star Trek Online community! This time of year is a time of great celebration for millions worldwide in the GLBT community, in remembrance of the Stonewall Riots. The Stonewall Riots were a major changing point in the GLBT Rights Movement that not only affected the GLBT community, but the entire world. This year in particular, we'd like to take this opportunity to welcome the entire community to join us in coming together in the spirit of love, support, fellowship and camaraderie for a weekend of celebrations.

For this occasion, Stonewall Fleet will be hosting events throughout the weekend. The events are open to the entire Star Trek Online community and we warmly welcome you, your friends and fleet to join us!

Join STOPride! To participate in all the festivities and follow along with the days events, please join the STOPride channel, which will be active on the weekend of the event! Enter '/channel_join STOPride' to join.

Check out the complete weekend schedule at fleet.stonewallgaming.net/pride.
faddc0e2956f1903cb9ac9197fb10cd8_large.png

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, @jodarkrider I really think this should be in ten forward. As the proud son of a LGBT father I support this event though, and I hope the trolls leave this thread and your event alone.

EDIT: ok, the fact that I had to put LGBT because the G-word is censored mildly annoys me ... LGBT is the community, the G-word is what my dad refers to himself as. It's not a dirty word, it's a part of his identity.
    Post edited by evilmark444 on
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    It absolutely is about STO.

"For this occasion, Stonewall Fleet will be hosting events throughout the weekend. The events are open to the entire Star Trek Online community and we warmly welcome you, your friends and fleet to join us!"

How is this different than say the fleet that had a contest and big giveaway at the end of last year. I don't recall any suggestions to move that to a less visited forum.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    It absolutely is about STO.

"For this occasion, Stonewall Fleet will be hosting events throughout the weekend. The events are open to the entire Star Trek Online community and we warmly welcome you, your friends and fleet to join us!"

How is this different than say the fleet that had a contest and big giveaway at the end of last year. I don't recall any suggestions to move that to a less visited forum.

This is correct. It is absolutely about STO. I do wish the drive to silence posters to the terrible oubliette of Ten Forward would stop, and especially the nitpicking about whether something is STO enough. By some arguments, the ARC Quest poll isn't STO enough for General Discussion.

This is welcome community involvement.

DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
    I personally just think all player events should be in ten forward, general should be about dev run events, announcements, and content.

If a mod disagrees that's fine, interpreting the rules is their job, not mine. But given my stated position on this event I resent the notion that I would be trying to silence anyone about this. Ten forward is pretty heavily trafficked as well.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    interpreting the rules is their job, not mine.

Seem to be an awful lot of unaffiliated posters that have this hobby. And are vocal about it.

DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    I'll definitely try to be here for this... just gotta see if it conflicts with my town's pride parade, bc I can't remember the date...
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    I personally just think all player events should be in ten forward, general should be about dev run events, announcements, and content.

If a mod disagrees that's fine, interpreting the rules is their job, not mine. But given my stated position on this event I resent the notion that I would be trying to silence anyone about this. Ten forward is pretty heavily trafficked as well.

But then the fleet event won't be seen by very many people and they'd all wind up in the ban thread when they go looking for it.

General discussion gives them more visibility, 'cause this is where all the cool people hang out.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    I'm a member of the LGBT community, and I have to admit, I never "got" all this pride stuff. It's just what I am, why does it need to be more complicated? Should I throw a parade for being under 6 feet tall? Or because I have feet?
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    I'm a member of the LGBT community, and I have to admit, I never "got" all this pride stuff. It's just what I am, why does it need to be more complicated? Should I throw a parade for being under 6 feet tall? Or because I have feet?
    We should also throw parades for people with black hair. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    We should also throw parades for people with black hair. :)

No. But if you throw a parade for gingers, I'd be happy. B)
    I was being serious, with a little humor thrown in. This thread should be in general discussion for better visibility.

It is nice to see the community come together like this.

In my opinion, the world would be a very dull place if everyone were the same due to being forced to conform to a set societal standard.
  • pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I was being serious, with a little humor thrown in. This thread should be in general discussion for better visibility.

It is nice to see the community come together like this.

In my opinion, the world would be a very dull place if everyone were the same due to being forced to conform to a set societal standard.

This doesn't even belong in 10 Forward, it belongs on 4 chan, or Craigslist.

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,468 Arc User
    I usually find this kind of events counterproductive, but after hearing the news from Orlando this morning i will seriously consider participating if you folks can stomach a Caucasian, hetero male. ;)
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    I usually find this kind of events counterproductive, but after hearing the news from Orlando this morning i will seriously consider participating if you folks can stomach a Caucasian, hetero male. ;)

We've seen weirder things.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    have fun, and the LGBT community has my full sympathy after the horrible massacre in Orlando. :)

But, we shouldn't forget that before being lgbt victims, these persons are just humans, who just want live their life.

freedom is not negotiable.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    one thing the LGBT crowd should be doing is supporting those in florida who were gunned down because they were from the LGBT crowd, absolutely senseless act of terrorism on innocent people.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    What happened in Orlando was an attack on civilization and on our country, but it was the LGBT community that was singled out, targeted and brutally murdered.

Please consider doing something to show solidarity with your brothers and sisters, even if they live their lives differently than you do.

And resist the temptation to be a cheap and trashy person, I know that no one can hold you accountable because its the internet, and that upsetting strangers is apparently a good thing for you to do, but try to remember that you are actually a human being at least this once before clicking 'post comment.'

Anyway, Jun 25-26 I'll be there.

This. Well, save for it not actually being my country.
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User

Somehow I doubt the validity of your statement. Pride is a statement of unity and openness, a stance against discrimination and intolerance that says we will not be forced back in the closet because of your insecurity. If you truly payed attention to the politics affecting us, the regions against us and truly lived openly, you would understand why we have Pride.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    one thing any decent human being should be doing is supporting those in florida who were gunned down because they were from the LGBT crowd, absolutely senseless act of terrorism on innocent people.

Fixed that for you.
  • yes we needz de solidarity pleeze

trekmovie.com/2016/06/12/star-trek-stars-grieve-for-the-victims-of-the-orlando-shooting/
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    one thing any decent human being should be doing is supporting those in florida who were gunned down because they were from the LGBT crowd, absolutely senseless act of terrorism on innocent people.

Fixed that for you.

*shakes head in disgust in the way szim has responded* did you forget how many died and your forcing words into my mouth over such a thing? what are you doing?!
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    ... why is it that a bunch of people that seem to be on the same side on this are fighting each other here? I've only seen one post that seemed like an outright offensive troll, everyone else seems to be pro-LGBT, and yet people are still attacking each other ... it boggles the mind.

The initial discussion of where this thread belongs aside, this thread is to advertise a player event, not to get in a senseless arguments with people who, at the end of the day, probably agree with you. Save the arguments for the trolls who may attempt to derail this into a politically charged flame war, and instead of responding to any such trolls simply report them and move on.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • catsmeatcatsmeat Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    I just want to say that to fight the ideology of death and hate - I hope everyone can celebrate freedom and life in whatever fashion they can after this horrendous attack.
    edited June 2016
    have fun, and the LGBT community has my full sympathy after the horrible massacre in Orlando. :)

But, we shouldn't forget that before being lgbt victims, these persons are just humans, who just want live their life.

freedom is not negotiable.

I agree. Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.

I grew up with Star Trek: TNG. Star Trek in general has a lot of good things to teach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjJN08uqt70
    catsmeat wrote: »
    I just want to say that to fight the ideology of death and hate - I hope everyone can celebrate freedom and life in whatever fashion they can after this horrendous attack.
    That's not really what the OP is talking about though.... it comes across as "we're doing this because we do it every year".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    As a lover of sandwiches consisting of bacon, lettuce, and tomato, I wish Stonewall Fleet a fabulous LGBT Pride weekend, and a very happy 7th anniversary.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    scarling wrote: »

Somehow I doubt the validity of your statement. Pride is a statement of unity and openness, a stance against discrimination and intolerance that says we will not be forced back in the closet because of your insecurity. If you truly payed attention to the politics affecting us, the regions against us and truly lived openly, you would understand why we have Pride.

You can shut your damned mouth. I live very openly. I have to deal with prejudice every time I leave the house. I have to have my very large best friend with me at all times, even when just shopping, cause some small-minded moron might decide to beat me up for trying to be who I am. You don't get to say garbage like this to me.

I'm not towing the line so I'm no longer valid? This kind of BS attitude is exactly why the hell I stay away from such "events". Sorry for not being part of your little collective.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,468 Arc User
    Let's end this bickering.

As far as openness and taking a stance against discrimination i just hope that those who preach also put it in practice.
    There have been rather nasty incidents from both those intolerant of the LGBT community as from the LGBT community itself.
    Examples are G-bashing and blatant racism against Jews on some LGBT conferences.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_the_LGBT_community

IDIC, openness and against racism is fine, but practice what you preach.

Some of the reasons why i think "pride" events are counterproductive is the often extrovert "in your face" nature thereby reinforcing the stereotypes. Then there is the fact that there are less enlightened elements within the LGBT community while the LGBT community, which is championing itself as a hero of justice, is often unwilling to acknowledge the existence of those "less enlightened" elements.

Either way with Orlando in mind i will give serious consideration to participating this time.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    Yeah, It's very easy to come across as trying to say you're better than everyone else.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Yeah, It's very easy to come across as trying to say you're better than everyone else.

I am better than everyone else.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg