Install Arc
Options

7TH ANNUAL PRIDE WEEKEND!

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    questerius wrote: »
    You mention the number of trans which were killed, but can you tell me how many heterosexuals were killed?
    Just for reference off course.

Should any crime be given priority because of the sexual preference of the victim or perpetrator? For that matter, should any crime be given priority based upon skin color?
    Bigotry is a strong evidence of motive. That, in turn, ought to be an excellent prosecution tool for obtaining a conviction. I may agree with you that it shouldn't be a criteria for adding harshness to a sentence, and I suspect we're on the same wavelength about sentencing in general, but what about places where the juries are likely to be stocked with bigots, or the judge is one?
    Bigotry as a motive is one thing... saying you think someone is a criminal because of ideology is another entirely. And yes, that IS what you said. You said that demonstrating that the accused has political views you dislike "ought to be an excellent prosecution tool". It's not because it has no actual bearing on whether the person is guilty. This is why trials are based on collecting evidence that the accused actually DID something rather than simply saying something.
    The other issue that comes up is recidivism. A skinhead busted for assault isn't going to come out of prison LESS likely to double-down on their offenses, nor are they even AS likely-they are MORE likely. These are things the justice system SHOULD be taking into account-but currently is restricted from doing so by sentencing rules.

for that matter, is it a good idea for a guy with a stack of misdemeanours at 17 directed at **** or minorities to have his record cleared at eighteen and join the police at 22-with his ideas intact? It happens.

a lot.

there's room for some debate. IDEALLY justice should be blind to race, sexual orientation, religion and ethnic background, but our society ain't there yet.
    It's not justice if the punishment is different based on the ideology of the perpetrator. Sure, it makes sense to sentence based on previous transgressions, but that's NOT based on ideology. It's based on the individual's demonstrated willingness to commit crimes.
    Why is it that its always about openness and equality, but when something goes south the call for special treatment is stronger than ever?
    this should be self-evident. whether the extreme ends get their way is what should be rare-human beings are ****, they're selfish, and they will pressure for 'their' tribe or subgroup over others if given half a chance. the pressuring shouldn't bother you, what should bother you is when they have a point-which is pretty damn often.
    I would argue that the debates surrounding a "pride" do not provide proof that it is necessary, but rather that it is an obsolete tool which should be retired.
    Debate is good. It's good because the alternative is either sullen apathy and passive-aggression, or outright aggression and violence-which are NOT GOOD.
    Yeah, and drawing people's attention to the fact that you see yourselves as an abnormal part of society? How does that promote equality?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Oh dear.
    - It's a community event open to everybody
    - the event is not a political one. The fleet is celebrating its 7th anniversary
    - the forum moderators are ok with it being posted here. They had an entire week to move it to another section of the forums but chose not to
    - there have been plenty of announcements by fleets doing special events in the past. I have never seen this kind of opposition when Starfleet Dental or some other fleet did a special event. So there must be other reasons why certain individuals feel the need to complain
  • Options
    szim wrote: »
    - the event is not a political one. The fleet is celebrating its 7th anniversary
    That's not actually what the OP says....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    szim wrote: »
    That's not actually what the OP says....

Yes it is. Unless you call an explanation of why they are named Stonewall Fleet a political statement. And since political discussions are a violation of forum rules and the mods chose not to close this thread down, they must agree with me. Anyway it's a fun event for everybody to enjoy. Nothing wrong with it.
  • Options
    Yeah... they basically stated in the OP that they're a fleet centered on a specific ideology and they are celebrating what they are.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    My take is any fleet that is in thier seventh year is worth celebrating, congrats guys!

Having said that, I believe the need to place oneself in a peg based on some sort of socio-construct truely discriminates against the worlds smallest, yet largest minority of humanity, the individual.

Be who you are first, not "what" you are.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Yeah... they basically stated in the OP that they're a fleet centered on a specific ideology and they are celebrating what they are.

Tell us more about why ideology is bad here.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    warpnugget#0537 warpnugget Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    to be honest i dont understand the point of all of this,i respect it but i dont understand it.

in my younger years,well im not that old now but whatever i use to dj and i had a group of friends from all types of people that form part of the lgbt sort.

they never bothered with any of this stuff,no pride events,no parades nothing,they were just people and whatever sexual preference they are i dont really care as long as they are good people and they have a good heart and a good brain in their head, the rest doesnt really matter.

and we always hang out together,never had a problem because in the end we are all people,now i understand that in some places of the world some folks might not think the same.
    but do you really think that an event like this will have any effect whatsoever on people from Afghanistan for example,or any other country where they hate on people because they have a different sexual prefference?

just seems to me like a poor cry of attention,look at me,worship me,im special blah blah blah,i just see these sort of events like doing more harm than actual good.

but hey this is my opinion,do as you please,i for one wont be attending,dont really see the need for someone to celebrate the fact that they like to do the nasty with a people of their same sex...hmm maybe i should call my friend,he likes to get it on with melons,you know make a hole,microwave for 30 seconds and then do his bussiness,i mean he should have the same rights as others right?

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    The strong possibility that the recent event in Florida was committed by a homosexual man raised to hate homosexuals, and therefore hate himself, is proof that no matter what our individual beliefs are we need to be more accepting of our differences, and teach our children to be more accepting, because hate and rejection can only lead to tragedy.

This post was up for several weekdays and no mods saw fit to move it. Let's consider that argument over for now, and end the pointless fighting. If you aren't planning to post something positive here, please just leave this thread alone. There's no need to derail this into politics anymore than it already has been.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    We should recognize that a call to move a thread to Ten Forward is a silencing action, especially for a fleet event in game. The motives of those making such requests were not pure and should be held up for scrutiny.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    just seems to me like a poor cry of attention,look at me,worship me,im special blah blah blah,i just see these sort of events like doing more harm than actual good.

Clearly you don't understand. The term "pride" can be misleading. But to my understanding such events serve the following purposes:

- They make everybody aware of the fact that LGBT people exist and that they come from all layers of society.
    - They remind people of the long and difficult path this group had to take in order to achieve equal rights (or the difficult situation many LGBT members find themselves in all over the world).
    - They raise awareness for still ongoing discrimination.
    - And last but not least marches and pride events are supposed to push out the boundaries of acceptance. If you can tolerate a bunch of guys in tight leatherware parading down your street then two guys holding hands or giving each other a kiss won't even raise an eyebrow anymore.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Despite his propaganda Gene wasn't all that tolerant of LGBT people, just FYI.

So, you assumed a lifelong Star Trek fan who as a very small boy watched first run episodes of TOS on a fifteen inch black and white with rabbit ears could possibly be lacking in information on, ahem, 'Gene-ology'.

And you hadda wait all the way to Page Three to tell me this? lol.

I'm not really a dumbass. I just play one here for the laughs. You meant well and I am laughing with you. Not at you.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    It's not a problem. The timing just struck me as funny. No need to get ruffled up about it.
  • Options
    My take is any fleet that is in thier seventh year is worth celebrating, congrats guys!

Having said that, I believe the need to place oneself in a peg based on some sort of socio-construct truely discriminates against the worlds smallest, yet largest minority of humanity, the individual.

Be who you are first, not "what" you are.
    This^ As long as you feel the need to prove that you are worthy of being accepted by others... you're never going to be accepted by yourself.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    The strong possibility that the recent event in Florida was committed by a homosexual man raised to hate homosexuals, and therefore hate himself, is proof that no matter what our individual beliefs are we need to be more accepting of our differences, and teach our children to be more accepting, because hate and rejection can only lead to tragedy.

This post was up for several weekdays and no mods saw fit to move it. Let's consider that argument over for now, and end the pointless fighting. If you aren't planning to post something positive here, please just leave this thread alone. There's no need to derail this into politics anymore than it already has been.

Ya that's why he called and said he pledged himself to ISIS and went to a mosque that another terrorist came from.. because he was TRIBBLE and hated himself and was hiding behind Islamic Extremism... sure...

Why are people so afraid to take the guy at his word... he said why he did it from the start.. and all you have some room mate claiming otherwise... and please don't bring up he went there a dozen times before.. all his visit were at the club with in a couple weeks.. you know casing the place before he attacked. He also wouldn't of cased out Disney World if it was just a anti-TRIBBLE issue. Is it so hard to believe that the attack happen because a TRIBBLE bar is prime example of why they hate us and our free society same reason they attacked the world trade centers, they are symbols of everything they hate about us. Us as in every free society...
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Worse than all of that is the fact that this forum seems to think it's appropriate to censor g.a.y. as if it was a naughty word 7H0tNfX.png. Lest you think it's because it can also be used an insult, it appears that l.e.s.b.i.a.n is also censored.

Mind you, considering the people that control this forum's filter that think that d.i.c.k is such an evil word it needs to be expunged alongside n.a.z.i, I'm hardly surprised they removed g.a.y.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    kelshando wrote: »
    This really has nothing to do with the game.. sorry its about your sexuality not the game and its leanings...

This should be in off topic I'm sorry its just the truth.. just because recent events and such does not mean it should be on a game forum that is dedicated to the game.. not real life politics. Please do not say this is STO related.. STO is being used as a forum for your political and sexual views not other other way around.

You make an exception for the LGBT community well better be ready to make that same exception for KKK, BLM, Black Panthers or any religious group out there claiming they want to do a "STO event". There are many other formats to get your event noticed.. but not on this forum...

So, if I read this correctly, every other human being on the planet, except you, is a member of some sort of radical group. Further we should view things exactly the way you do and anyone who does not should be run off.

You did not post here to promote the playing of STO. You posted here to express a personal political view.
    How curious it is you perform the exact same action you accuse the OP of.

Seems like you have some things in common with the OP. Both of you play STO. Both of you post on this forum. Both of you are prideful of who and what you are and what you stand for.

Might wanna be careful there, Mate. Your buddies might read this and see just how much you have in common with the OP and then decide you're not their kinda people anymore. No more monster truck pulls or dating your cousins for you

17th Century attitudes have no place or reason in the 21st.

Why can you not just see them as human beings? Gene would have wanted you to. The fact you cannot makes a complete lie out of every time you tell someone you are a Star Trek fan.

Roddenberry once spoke of overcoming his own homophobia. In a 1991 interview with The Humanist, he remarked:

My attitude toward homosexuality has changed. I came to the conclusion that I was wrong. I was never someone who hunted down 'TRIBBLE' as we used to call them on the street. I would, sometimes, say something anti-homosexual off the top of my head because it was thought, in those days, to be funny. I never really deeply believed those comments, but I gave the impression of being thoughtless in these areas. I have, over many years, changed my attitude about g.a.y. men and women.[15]

According to The Advocate, Roddenberry promised that in the then-upcoming fifth season of TNG, g.a.y. crew members would appear on the show. Other stars of the franchise chimed in, with Leonard Nimoy (who played Spock) offering his support in a 1991 letter to the Los Angeles Times saying, "It is entirely fitting that g.a.y.s. and lesbians will appear unobtrusively aboard the Enterprise—neither objects of pity nor melodramatic attention."[16]

However, Roddenberry died soon after his interviews and the announced plans to have a g.a.y. crew member on TNG never materialized.
  • Options

Ya that's why he called and said he pledged himself to ISIS and went to a mosque that another terrorist came from.. because he was **** and hated himself and was hiding behind Islamic Extremism... sure...

Why are people so afraid to take the guy at his word... he said why he did it from the start.. and all you have some room mate claiming otherwise... and please don't bring up he went there a dozen times before.. all his visit were at the club with in a couple weeks.. you know casing the place before he attacked. He also wouldn't of cased out Disney World if it was just a anti-**** issue. Is it so hard to believe that the attack happen because a **** bar is prime example of why they hate us and our free society same reason they attacked the world trade centers, they are symbols of everything they hate about us. Us as in every free society...

dont even go there,think you're the only country in the world with freedom? lolololol,watch this,might clear some preconcieved ideas you might have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPHSXUS0_1c

and now,think seriously if its the other side fault,100 percent i mean...you do seems kinda blindsided,not saying terrorism is to not be condoned but you do know that a certain country wink wink has poked their nose into what clearly isnt their bussiness just for economic purposes along with oil,weapons etc etc.

maybe if a certain country wink wink stopped with their policeman of the day attitude TRIBBLE like this wouldnt happen,world trade happened for a reason,guys pushed to hard and wam bam thank you maam the animal that was cornered striked back.

go read some books,look at the news,well the real news i mean because we all know that in a certain country you got 2 sets of news,first the proper news but because they dont understand TRIBBLE of what they are speaking they need a second set of news digested and painted in crayons so they can get a grasp of what is going on and still then they are as clueless as a moonshine making hick at MIT lol.

think isis or any other islamic terrorist faction would exist if a certain country wink wink wouldnt have done what they done in the name of freedoom *cough TRIBBLE cough*?

sometimes i weep for the younger generation,one of these days you will all be like the citizens of these movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBvIweCIgwk

• Options
    kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User

Ya that's why he called and said he pledged himself to ISIS and went to a mosque that another terrorist came from.. because he was **** and hated himself and was hiding behind Islamic Extremism... sure...

Why are people so afraid to take the guy at his word... he said why he did it from the start.. and all you have some room mate claiming otherwise... and please don't bring up he went there a dozen times before.. all his visit were at the club with in a couple weeks.. you know casing the place before he attacked. He also wouldn't of cased out Disney World if it was just a anti-**** issue. Is it so hard to believe that the attack happen because a **** bar is prime example of why they hate us and our free society same reason they attacked the world trade centers, they are symbols of everything they hate about us. Us as in every free society...

dont even go there,think you're the only country in the world with freedom? lolololol,watch this,might clear some preconcieved ideas you might have:

Learn to read.. it may help.. you see the last sentence... "Us as in every free society" now read it again.. and again and again... you get it yet?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Learn to read.. it may help.. you see the last sentence... "Us as in every free society" now read it again.. and again and again... you get it yet?

yep read it,after reading this:

*Is it so hard to believe that the attack happen because a **** bar is prime example of why they hate us and our free society*

i had to go to the bathroom and throw up at your holier than thou attitude,good job,how is the view from the soapbox?

p.s: dont bother replying,im done with this topic.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    scarling wrote: »
    This really has nothing to do with the game.. sorry its about your sexuality not the game and its leanings...

This should be in off topic I'm sorry its just the truth.. just because recent events and such does not mean it should be on a game forum that is dedicated to the game.. not real life politics. Please do not say this is STO related.. STO is being used as a forum for your political and sexual views not other other way around.

You make an exception for the LGBT community well better be ready to make that same exception for KKK, BLM, Black Panthers or any religious group out there claiming they want to do a "STO event". There are many other formats to get your event noticed.. but not on this forum...

So, if I read this correctly, every other human being on the planet, except you, is a member of some sort of radical group. Further we should view things exactly the way you do and anyone who does not should be run off.

You did not post here to promote the playing of STO. You posted here to express a personal political view.
    How curious it is you perform the exact same action you accuse the OP of.

Seems like you have some things in common with the OP. Both of you play STO. Both of you post on this forum. Both of you are prideful of who and what you are and what you stand for.

Might wanna be careful there, Mate. Your buddies might read this and see just how much you have in common with the OP and then decide you're not their kinda people anymore. No more monster truck pulls or dating your cousins for you

17th Century attitudes have no place or reason in the 21st.

Why can you not just see them as human beings? Gene would have wanted you to. The fact you cannot makes a complete lie out of every time you tell someone you are a Star Trek fan.

Roddenberry once spoke of overcoming his own homophobia. In a 1991 interview with The Humanist, he remarked:

My attitude toward homosexuality has changed. I came to the conclusion that I was wrong. I was never someone who hunted down '****' as we used to call them on the street. I would, sometimes, say something anti-homosexual off the top of my head because it was thought, in those days, to be funny. I never really deeply believed those comments, but I gave the impression of being thoughtless in these areas. I have, over many years, changed my attitude about g.a.y. men and women.[15]

According to The Advocate, Roddenberry promised that in the then-upcoming fifth season of TNG, g.a.y. crew members would appear on the show. Other stars of the franchise chimed in, with Leonard Nimoy (who played Spock) offering his support in a 1991 letter to the Los Angeles Times saying, "It is entirely fitting that g.a.y.s. and lesbians will appear unobtrusively aboard the Enterprise—neither objects of pity nor melodramatic attention."[16]

However, Roddenberry died soon after his interviews and the announced plans to have a g.a.y. crew member on TNG never materialized.

Well there was Hawk in First Contact. Not really TNG but it's the same crew. And it does take place on a ship called Enterprise :p
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Every year Stonewall advertises their really fun and positive fleet event, and every year idiots come in and flame the hell out of the thread.

No one really cares why you "never understood pride" because you're not that important.

This is a fun event the fleet hosts in-game (many fleets advertise events here and don't get relocated to ten forward) and has been hosting for seven years now.

You can do the following:
    - show up and have a good time with great players (recommended)
    - not show up and do something else
    - carve your stupid "I don't understand why these uppity LGBTQ folks think they can voluntarily organize a fun event without my super well informed opinion on the of 'the ****'" drivel into your arm and catch an infection

There's nothing wrong with discussion. Although it may have gotten out of hand a bit here.

But really, it's better to have people state their opinions, even if one doesn't agree, then to expect them to remain silent. If there are people who are wondering why anyone would want to emphasize their being 'different' or part of a sub-group, be it LGBT people, religious groups or whatever other groups, then it will also greatly help the LGBT-people if they get a chance to react to those who are wondering about such things.

I don't think anyone who has wondered about such things would say that they have a 'super well informed opinion' about the issue. They may genuinely be trying to understand. In fact, as someone has already pointed out, even LGBT people themselves are asking such questions.

Anyway, mutual understanding begins with communication and that's one of the purposes of the Forum. So again, there's nothing wrong with people voicing different opinions.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Every year Stonewall advertises their really fun and positive fleet event, and every year idiots come in and flame the hell out of the thread.

No one really cares why you "never understood pride" because you're not that important.

This is a fun event the fleet hosts in-game (many fleets advertise events here and don't get relocated to ten forward) and has been hosting for seven years now.

You can do the following:
    - show up and have a good time with great players (recommended)
    - not show up and do something else
    - carve your stupid "I don't understand why these uppity LGBTQ folks think they can voluntarily organize a fun event without my super well informed opinion on the of 'the ****'" drivel into your arm and catch an infection

I have to say I am often pleasantly surprised by nabreeki comments but this one deserves special mention. Well said.

The negative comments trying to masquerade as positive or neutral always are to the effect of - why do they have to display themselves so flamboyantly? It makes me so mad I want to set myself on fire! Or, why do they have to set themselves apart and call attention to differences. Where is straight pride day? We must brace ourselves for concerns about the children then we will have run the full spectrum (again) which seems to be required every time this subject matter comes up.

Overall, though, I give the community an A- for this iteration.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    edited June 2016
    <fleet.stonewallgaming.net/pride>

Just to remind everyone what this thread is supposed to be about. Went over and read it. Looks to be a fun event with some different style contests than we normally see at one of these. I am enthused about the part where people are placed in groups and have to answer questions about Star Trek. I seldom get an occasion to show off my extensive knowledge of the subject.

::: throws down gauntlet in a totally non threatening manner. But truly means to challenge everyone. So Bring It! :::

Last political comment in this thread, I swear. Sometimes in an open and free society, we sometimes forget something:
    In such a place, people have the right to be as willfully stupid as they want to be. This is the price exacted for having an open and free society. Do not hate them. This brings one down to their level. Rather, forgive and pity them for their shortcomings. For they will never fully enjoy and appreciate Liberty and Freedom as the rest of us do.
    "People can be very frightened of change." -James T. Kirk
    <fleet.stonewallgaming.net/pride>