test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dry Docking Is Coming!

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    I am anazonda, I don't matter, but I still approve of this.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    thenoname711thenoname711 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    I guess those will be cheaper than regular ship slots.
    Gameserver not found.
  • Options
    ronterprise#4195 ronterprise Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    So, stupid question time

Does this mean that for setting up in the admiralty system, I'd open a current boxed ship (for example) make a "card" for the admiratly system then instead of decommissioning it from my roster to make space, I can just drydock it instead?
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,319 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    On tribble this feature was active for a while(just the information about available drydock slots). It shown 8 drydock slots, maybe this is "handful" but I have no idea what is "many more" for gold subscribers.

I also have a question: what will happen with loadouts on the drydocked ship?

They will be retained. Asked the Q a while ago and got an answer a few post back.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    danielhunter1991danielhunter1991 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    This sounds good, although I don't like the sound of the ship's being reset once there put into Dry Dock.
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    So, stupid question time

Does this mean that for setting up in the admiralty system, I'd open a current boxed ship (for example) make a "card" for the admiratly system then instead of decommissioning it from my roster to make space, I can just drydock it instead?

Yes absolutely. And if you keep doing that with ships before the admiralty system unlocks you should still have all your old ones to make cards out of.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    I like this new feature, but the fact that we have to move our gear off our ships is a bit troubling since bank space is limited and our other ships may be using other gear. It would be nice if they offered an Armory where we could store unused gear in addition to the bank and inventory space--specifically for ships going into Dry Dock.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    ronterprise#4195 ronterprise Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    thanks!

Is this feature coming out before the admiratly system?
  • Options
    thenoname711thenoname711 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    They will be retained. Asked the Q a while ago and got an answer a few post back.​​
    Ah, I see, 3 posts above my first post. Should have looked more thoroughly.
    Gameserver not found.
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    How exactly is this better than expanding the number of possible ship slots? If I have to recustomize everything after taking the ship out of drydock I can just as easily discharge the respective ship and reclaim it if I ever want to fly it again. In my opinion this is a useless feature.

Imagine the possibilities if it ever expanded into a shared drydock across all your toons :open_mouth: You'd be able to move lockbox ships between your toons.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    reaperreborn64reaperreborn64 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    ... alright thats it what about all the ships we've dismissed over the years that we could have done this to... are you gonna reimburse us for those lost ships now that you added a feature you should have had in to begin with....
  • Options
    sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,272 Arc User
    @szim The purpose of the Drydock feature is to allow you to keep your ships owned, and you can't reclaim discharged ships WITHOUT having to pay for it again. The main focus of the Drydock Feature is for long-term storage of ships you aren't using on a long-term basis. For example, if you stopped using a ship that is no longer applicable, you can store it drydock for long-term or to await loadout refits. And when you drydock a ship, it frees up a ship selection slot for you to buy another ship for use. That's the purpose.
    | State of the Federation |
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    Leader: S. Raneson
    de_pr2.gif
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    dirlettia wrote: »
    How exactly is this better than expanding the number of possible ship slots? If I have to recustomize everything after taking the ship out of drydock I can just as easily discharge the respective ship and reclaim it if I ever want to fly it again. In my opinion this is a useless feature.

Imagine the possibilities if it ever expanded into a shared drydock across all your toons :open_mouth: You'd be able to move lockbox ships between your toons.

Now this would be a fantastic idea. But in its current state I don't really see the need for it.
    @szim The purpose of the Drydock feature is to allow you to keep your ships owned, and you can't reclaim discharged ships WITHOUT having to pay for it again. The main focus of the Drydock Feature is for long-term storage of ships you aren't using on a long-term basis. For example, if you stopped using a ship that is no longer applicable, you can store it drydock for long-term or to await loadout refits. And when you drydock a ship, it frees up a ship selection slot for you to buy another ship for use. That's the purpose.

But this is only true for lower tier ships and lockbox ships. All other ships, event ships, c-store ships, are reclaimable. Again I think expanding the maximum number of ship slots would be a lot better.
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    'Tis good news, this.

Do we have to worry about Space Moths nibbling on our stored ships? Or do we have to purchase giant moth balls from Ferengi merchants? :wink:

I can imagine the Ferengi trying to squeeze some extra latinum out of captains like that :smiley:

If you don't buy mothballs before hanging a ship to dry (couldn't resist ^^), the next time you pull it out of dry dock, you'll get random system malfunctions for a day because of all the moths getting fried :smiley:

Your ship will be bugged - literally.

"Accumulated too many ships under your command fighting the Iconians? Support the exploration effort and disarm combat vessels you don't use! Buy Ferengi mothballs!

Peace is good for business! :wink: "
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    roamingmuttroamingmutt Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    And just like that, Cryptic earns a hug!
  • Options
    flyingtargflyingtarg Member Posts: 105 Cryptic Developer
    But this is only true for lower tier ships and lockbox ships. All other ships, event ships, c-store ships, are reclaimable. Again I think expanding the maximum number of ship slots would be a lot better.

Last time we checked, the count of players with the maximum number of ship slots was incredibly small (I believe it was in the single digits).

The number of ship slots a player can have is actually pretty high. From a performance standpoint, they're also incredibly expensive, because a ship in a ship slot has a TON of data. There is no way we could continue to expand the number of available ship slots indefinitely, it would just be too expensive. Dry Dock Slots are incredibly cheap in comparison, and we can offer many more of them than we could ship slots.
    Daniel "FlyingTarg" Razza
    Star Trek Online Lead Programmer
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    On tribble this feature was active for a while(just the information about available drydock slots). It shown 8 drydock slots, maybe this is "handful" but I have no idea what is "many more" for gold subscribers.

The actual blog conflicts with your answer:
    As Dry Docking a ship may mean storing it for an extended stay, you’ll have to re-customize any ships that you store. Since players cannot access a Dry Docked ship’s equipment, everything currently equipped on a ship will be moved into your inventory when the ship enters Dry Dock. The ship’s costumes will be reset and its equipment will be sent to your bags, but it will retain the name you’ve chosen as well as any mastery points you’ve earned while piloting it.
  • Options
    captainransomcaptainransom Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    Thank you dev team. Decent solution for those of us with large ship collections. :)
    giphy.gif

"It's easy to cling to principles when you're standing on a vessel with its bulkheads intact, manned by a crew that's not starving."

• Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    I guess the big question is how much will extra slots cost us?
    Would be nice if it only cost EC
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    How exactly is this better than expanding the number of possible ship slots?

Less strain on the server.
    If I have to recustomize everything after taking the ship out of drydock I can just as easily discharge the respective ship and reclaim it if I ever want to fly it again.

Except there are a lot of ships you can't do that with, at least not without paying exorbitant lobi/EC/dil costs to get them all over again. Plus, this way you get to keep all the mastery points/levels you've earned with your ships.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    flyingtarg wrote: »

Last time we checked, the count of players with the maximum number of ship slots was incredibly small (I believe it was in the single digits).

The number of ship slots a player can have is actually pretty high. From a performance standpoint, they're also incredibly expensive, because a ship in a ship slot has a TON of data. There is no way we could continue to expand the number of available ship slots indefinitely, it would just be too expensive. Dry Dock Slots are incredibly cheap in comparison, and we can offer many more of them than we could ship slots.

Hmm and I thought this was done because so many players have maxed out their ship slots. I'm surprised. Wouldn't it have been much easier to make every ship a player ever had on his char reclaimable? Kind of the same system you created for event and c-store ships but as a character unlock only.
  • Options
    Hmm and I thought this was done because so many players have maxed out their ship slots. I'm surprised. Wouldn't it have been much easier to make every ship a player ever had on his char reclaimable? Kind of the same system you created for event and c-store ships but as a character unlock only.

We don't store a player's ship ownership history, unfortunately, so not only is not easier to make every ship a player ever had on his character reclaimable, it is actually impossible for us to do that.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,319 Arc User
    edited October 2015

They will be retained. Asked the Q a while ago and got an answer a few post back.

The actual blog conflicts with your answer:
    As Dry Docking a ship may mean storing it for an extended stay, you’ll have to re-customize any ships that you store. Since players cannot access a Dry Docked ship’s equipment, everything currently equipped on a ship will be moved into your inventory when the ship enters Dry Dock. The ship’s costumes will be reset and its equipment will be sent to your bags, but it will retain the name you’ve chosen as well as any mastery points you’ve earned while piloting it.

The question asked and answered is about saved load-outs while the blog speaks of the equipment. I'm going out on a limb and assume you know the difference in-game?

Edit: Depending on the amount of dry dock slots it may be interesting to reclaim the T1 - T4 squad of ships which most have acquired over the years during give aways.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    What's this? Another requested feature that's being added and will only ever cost you anything if you decide to buy more of it? Dear Devs, this addition to the game is good and you should feel good. :)
  • Options
    takfeltakfel Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    Just in time for the admiralty system?
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User

We don't store a player's ship ownership history, unfortunately, so not only is not easier to make every ship a player ever had on his character reclaimable, it is actually impossible for us to do that.

It wouldn't work for Pre-S11 ships... but isn't that, essentially, part of what the Admiralty cards are, the game tracking what ship a player has owned?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User

It wouldn't work for Pre-S11 ships... but isn't that, essentially, part of what the Admiralty cards are, the game tracking what ship a player has owned?

Not a dev but I think I have an answer for this. The Admiralty system does not do. It just rewards you cards for the ships you have and will at that moment in time.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    takfel wrote: »
    Just in time for the admiralty system?

This will be releasing sometime after Season 11, it won't be quite in time for Admiralty. You won't have to wait long though.
  • Options
    helgmornhelgmorn Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    Listen Devs

I approve, this is a great addition to ship management.

To those that are wanting more storage for items out of this, when you drydock, the items are laced in bank from the ship, when you claim a new active ship, put the items back on the new ship!, you have lost exactly 0 space and gained 0 space!

In other words, you are exactly where you were before the drydock, except, not you did not have to dismiss that ship, instead, you kept it.

Personally, I do not save many set-ups, I love going to the ship selector and building the ships each time, its almost always different :)

I will Gold for this ( hopefully its a permanent unlock like bank and inventory that stays after sub) as well as level last 2 deltas to 60 in the month for the respec points :)

Season 11 is looking great so far, keep up the good work!
This discussion has been closed.