Install Arc
Options

Dry Docking Is Coming!

Comments

• Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    If you misbehave we will send you to your dry dock. LOL
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    kelettes wrote: »
    Okay here's another question (my Epohhlogies if it was asked & answered somewhere else already):

Let's say I walk up to the shipyard NPC on ESD and get 2x Sovereign assault cruisers for my dil.
    • Does that mean 2x admiralty ship cards for me to use in ship missions?
    • Or we're limited to 1 admiralty ship card / class?

(I'm guessing it's the latter case)

You get one Admrialty Card per ship class. Had they not done this, an ungodly amount of server space would have been taken up by players using a...
      claim->get Admiralty Card->dismiss->claim->get Admiralty Card->dismiss->claim->get Admiralty Card->dismiss
    ...cycle ad nauseum with C-Store and Event ships in order to fill their lineup... especially with KDF and Rom players trying to find a decent SciShip lineup. By ensuring a single class grants a single Admiralty Card, it prevents this strategy.

It is important to note that Mirror, standard, Refit, Retrofit, Fleet, etc. variants are considered distinct ships, so you could have an Assault Cruiser ("Freebie"/Dil Sink = Common), Mirror Star Cruiser (Sovereign skin, irc) (Mirror = Uncommon), Assault Cruiser Refit (C-Store = Rare), and Fleet Assault Cruiser Refit (Fleet = Very Rare) for an array of "Sovereigns". Admiralty Cards show the default skins, though, so the Assault Cruiser Refit will likely be a Regent instead... and the Fleet is, well, something.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    datalives#1627 datalives Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Can ships stored be used in admiral system? or that be just sloted ships.
    A selection of my STO windows background ScreenShots
    http://www.risk-gaming.com/content.php B)
    @Datalives
    United Federation 55th
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    IIRC the "Mirror Sovereign" is actually called a "Mirror Star Cruiser", while the "Mirror Assault Cruiser" has the Sentinel/Vanguard/Emissary skin. Not sure if that's a typo there.

But I get the point. Thx for clearing it up! :smile:
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Makes one think why not just increase the cap on ship-slots or something? Then again, slap on it some unlockable account-wide drydock slots, and I'll throw zen at you ;-)

Edit: Oh, I see now. Turning a ship into a ship-claim token will certainly take less space in the database, than storing a ship + costume options + equip + loadouts and stuff. Carry on then ;-)
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    brighamg wrote: »
    Normally, as long as ships are registered once in the admirality list, you can discard, store, throw into a star, blow them up if you wish, they'll still be in the list.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    yakodym wrote: »
    Makes one think why not just increase the cap on ship-slots or something? Then again, slap on it some unlockable account-wide drydock slots, and I'll throw zen at you ;-)

I'm wondering if you read the thre-oh wait. That rarely happens. Short version. Drydock means less lag than more ship slots
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    icegavel wrote: »
    "Exciting" is a bit of a stretch, but it's nice. QUESTION: Will we have access to Admiralty versions of ships in Dry Dock? I know we'll be granted Admiralty cards when we first open the DOff menu, but assuming we have Dry Dockd a ship BEFORE that, will we have access to it?
    brighamg wrote: »

The admiralty system is completely separate from the main game. If you have a ship in a slot, and go to the admiralty screen, you get an Admiralty "card" for that ship permanently. It doesn't matter what you do with the ship after you claim the card for it (drydock, delete, leave it in a slot forever), the Admiralty system will never be affected.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    kelettes wrote: »
    IIRC the "Mirror Sovereign" is actually called a "Mirror Star Cruiser", while the "Mirror Assault Cruiser" has the Sentinel/Vanguard/Emissary skin. Not sure if that's a typo there.

But I get the point. Thx for clearing it up! :smile:

It's intentional... I was hinging my references off of the "Sovereign" part of your post rather than the "assault cruiser" part. The ships I listed are the ones capable of using the Sovereign skin. :wink:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Now this is a nice addition to the game. Wish they came up with this ages ago. :smiley:

Though I'm curious:

1) Will there be ship storage limits? Or is it unlimited?
    2) Can you return a ship to Dry Dock immediately after bringing it back to service?
    3) Will they add an card claim for stored ships? Or it's simpler to call it back to action then restore it after you get the card?

Also, why "Dry Docking"? Why not call it a "Reserve Fleet"? Since this what the Navy does when they decommission ships, they effectively put it into storage where it could be called back into action or scraped. And then all you have to do is rename the current decommissioning in the ship dismissal process and change it to - scrapping.
    Post edited by azurianstar on
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    I don't get it .. what is the difference between dry-docked and ship selector?
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Am I the only who saw the Drydock picture with the subject and thought, "Finally, a docking mechanic...to visually dock and launch my active starship in Star Trek film fashion!" ?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited October 2015

Also, why "Dry Docking"? Why not call it "decommissioning"? Since this what the Navy does when they decomission ships, they effectively put it into storage where it could be called back into action or scraped. And then all you have to do is rename the current decommissioning in the ship dismissal process and change it to - scrapping.
    Because not everyone knows proper naval terminology, and it's a very good idea to make "put it away for a while, the gear is in your inventory" and "destroy forever, with all the gear, no refunds" options as distinctive as possible?
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    Nice feature, but having to re-customize will keep me from using it. Come on, if you can store loadouts and earned ship mastery, store ship customization too.​​
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    edited October 2015

Dry Dock is a new system where you can "bank" ships. It allows you to store ships you'd otherwise need to ditch in order to free up a Ship Slot, hopefully convincing you to buy more Dry Dock space and ships to keep in your actual Ship Slots. The idea, from the company's perspective, is to give you something new to spend money on if you were someone that wouldn't buy Ship Slots and/or wouldn't buy ships if you didn't have an available Ship Slot or an old ship you were willing to throw away.

Ships on your current Ship Selector list can also be swapped in/out in Sector Space, and will remain capable of this after Dry Dock is added.

Ships in Dry Dock, however, will be inaccessible from Sector Space, etc. until you pull them out of Dry Dock via the Ship Selector NPC contact.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User

Ship selector means the ship remains in an operational readiness state, whereas Dry-docked means the ship is mothballed so work needs to be done to restore operational status.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    so basically its a way to monetize the reclaim system we already have . cuz you know there is going to be slots for zen attached to this , the only thing the current reclaim system cant do that this can is keep track of lockbox and fleet ships , so basically the devs rather made up a whole system to monetize it rather than add them to the reclaim system they just implemented for event ships HMM
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    That's a cute new feature, I like it. :)
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    elvnswordelvnsword Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I am in full support of this especially if implemented as suggested by dirlwttia, allowing us to move ships as account bound items through the drydock system!

Want to talk about revitalizing my gameplay interest levels!!
  • Options
    @szim The purpose of the Drydock feature is to allow you to keep your ships owned, and you can't reclaim discharged ships WITHOUT having to pay for it again. The main focus of the Drydock Feature is for long-term storage of ships you aren't using on a long-term basis. For example, if you stopped using a ship that is no longer applicable, you can store it drydock for long-term or to await loadout refits. And when you drydock a ship, it frees up a ship selection slot for you to buy another ship for use. That's the purpose.

Does that mean that the C-ships are not reclaimable anymore?

• Options
    @szim The purpose of the Drydock feature is to allow you to keep your ships owned, and you can't reclaim discharged ships WITHOUT having to pay for it again. The main focus of the Drydock Feature is for long-term storage of ships you aren't using on a long-term basis. For example, if you stopped using a ship that is no longer applicable, you can store it drydock for long-term or to await loadout refits. And when you drydock a ship, it frees up a ship selection slot for you to buy another ship for use. That's the purpose.

Also does that mean that the event ships no longer will be reclaimable?
  • Options
    ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    Why do all those alien ships have human names?
  • Options
    malebissemalebisse Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Dry Docking is an exciting new feature which allows you to store your hard-earned ships for the long term with the convenience of a few clicks, opening up Ship Slots!

Learn more about our new feature here.

~LaughingTrendy

Will this be part of the Season 11 update?
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    This is good news. Old T5 fleet ships and Lobi ships will finally have a home that doesn't involve trashing them. Thanks all.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    malebisse wrote: »
    Dry Docking is an exciting new feature which allows you to store your hard-earned ships for the long term with the convenience of a few clicks, opening up Ship Slots!

Learn more about our new feature here.

~LaughingTrendy

Will this be part of the Season 11 update?

I think flyingtarg said that it will actually be a little after Season 11 comes out...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    doughboy2doughboy2 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Finally a place to store/move some fleet ships...great addition. Gold Member bonus...feeling the love.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    nebfab wrote: »

Also, why "Dry Docking"? Why not call it "decommissioning"? Since this what the Navy does when they decomission ships, they effectively put it into storage where it could be called back into action or scraped. And then all you have to do is rename the current decommissioning in the ship dismissal process and change it to - scrapping.
    Because not everyone knows proper naval terminology, and it's a very good idea to make "put it away for a while, the gear is in your inventory" and "destroy forever, with all the gear, no refunds" options as distinctive as possible?

I think people are more intelligent than you believe they are. People easily know what the difference is between decomissioning and scrapping. Especially for Star Trek fans.

That is why I ask for Cryptic to think about changing the terminology to fit it's more canonical standpoint.
    Post edited by azurianstar on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    psiameese wrote: »
    Am I the only who saw the Drydock picture with the subject and thought, "Finally, a docking mechanic...to visually dock and launch my active starship in Star Trek film fashion!" ?

No you are not the only one. I had the same thought,..
  • Options
    gundamtrekkiegundamtrekkie Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Question: Do we get to actually fly around in our current starship or shuttle and see our drydocked ships? :)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The ship’s costumes will be reset
    Hey! I just want to keep my ships safe, not have zealous engineers ruin the paintjob and overexcited mechanics touch the nacelles in inappropriate places!

Can I execute/dismiss them if they change my ship while I'm not watching? Careful, as a fleet admiral, I have friends in the highest ranks, I'm not just any captain!
    you can save the costume in the tailor if you wish.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.