test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dry Docking Is Coming!

Comments

• vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    @szim The purpose of the Drydock feature is to allow you to keep your ships owned, and you can't reclaim discharged ships WITHOUT having to pay for it again. The main focus of the Drydock Feature is for long-term storage of ships you aren't using on a long-term basis. For example, if you stopped using a ship that is no longer applicable, you can store it drydock for long-term or to await loadout refits. And when you drydock a ship, it frees up a ship selection slot for you to buy another ship for use. That's the purpose.

Does that mean that the C-ships are not reclaimable anymore?
    @szim The purpose of the Drydock feature is to allow you to keep your ships owned, and you can't reclaim discharged ships WITHOUT having to pay for it again. The main focus of the Drydock Feature is for long-term storage of ships you aren't using on a long-term basis. For example, if you stopped using a ship that is no longer applicable, you can store it drydock for long-term or to await loadout refits. And when you drydock a ship, it frees up a ship selection slot for you to buy another ship for use. That's the purpose.

Also does that mean that the event ships no longer will be reclaimable?

No where does it say that C-store ships and Event ships will no longer be reclaimable. We're not losing those.

This feature is mainly for ships that are not reclaimable like the mirror universe ships, fleet ships, any lock box/lobi store ship and the promotional ships which are per-character unlocks. This way, ship collectors can continue collecting ships without having to discharge the hard to purchase again.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • ph4ze2ph4ze2 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    This would really be so much more awesome if it was an account level bank. Being able to play lockbox ships on other class captains has been my dream since I first opened a d'kora on my sci :neutral:
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,317 Arc User
    The real question is: Is this the prelude to maintenance cost for active ships?​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    The real question is: Is this the prelude to maintenance cost for active ships?​​

###
    Oh look! I just finished a PVE queue!
    *30 minutes (and a meal) later, character sitting on a bench on ESD*
    Still staring at the hourglass... 1 more hour left from my active ship's maintenance. Can't disembark...
    ###

^Gooosh I hope not...
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • talsinaartalsinaar Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    been asking for something like this for years now, mainly because I have on my main toon the anniversary ody ship, obelisk, and dyson (non zen store version) and wrote a ticket a couple years ago on I get new ships, but didn't wanna have to be forced into discharging an older non replaceable ship. so I am happy. now question should be whats the release date because the original post made it sound like it was added in a patch, or if it will be released with season 11. also guys remember the bug system if theres a problem no matter how trivial report it ... otherwise they wont know and will never fix. this new system will be sure to have a bug or 2 or glitches, not keeping ships, zen dry dock tokens not working properly or maybe giving one or 2 extra slots (so that means even if you get bonuis report it because that one bonus for you may crash the games mechanics somewhere else, or corrupt your character later on in some Q-karmic fashion.) this game is getting better only due to people reporting glitches and bugs, giving feed back on new stuff, and suggestions on what can be done to make em better, and ideas for new content in all fields of the game.

so live long and prosper with gaming.

ps
    just wondering if you have dry docked ships will they be allowed to count for the new ship admiralty missions ... forgot to throw that out there.
  • angelfrost1angelfrost1 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Interesting feature, but it would have been nice if the equipment had stayed on the vessel.

Are saved load outs for the ships retained when they are dry-docked?​​

Too bad the equipment gets taken and put into your inventory. That can TRIBBLE up the saved load-outs and I suspect is going to increase people adding inventory slots to try to keep everything that was on the ship to begin with.
    Not really sure I see much point in this new addition.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I like this idea. I can make good use out of it. Since I hate to dismiss ships. Specially now since most of my collection is hard to get ships. Like Event, Lobi box, etc. This way I can put them in there, if I'm not using them. Or hadn't geared them up yet. For when the time comes so I can. Plus this will make room for any new ships they come down the line with. With 2016 being the 50th for Star Trek. I know they will come out with some sweet event ships.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    C-Store ships will still be reclaimable. This is a different function then claiming them in the first place from the C-Store.
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Nicely done!!! I like this feature! I don't like Discarding ships, even though I can get most of them back. I would also LOVE the chance to try the " event" ships like the ferengi and breen ships, but never have the open slots, and don't want to be made to discard them if they don't work out with my play style.
    THIS is a nice QoL improvement,, that also happens to fit in with the Admiralty system I would think. Of course being a Gold Member and seeing the " access to many more slots" is a plus. CARRY'ON STO!!!!
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • wakeoflovewakeoflove Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    what exactly is so awesome or nice with this feature??? i mean the idea behind is nice yea, but DRYDOCKSLOTS?! so to free up SHIPSLOTS we have to buy DRYDOCKSLOTS?? If thats the case i can just buy additional Shipslots and let the Ships active, so whats the Point???? There should be no limited Drydockslots bla bla, every ship that we dont need active should be "parked" to free up the space.

Sorry but i dont buy this, NOT even for a DOLLAR.

That's probably the thing, the only way this new dry dock system is of any value, given most players are not at max ship slot limit, is if dry dock slots are dirt cheap. Otherwise one might as well get more ship slots. Alternatively they could just make lobi/fleet ships reclaimable from this point on but whatever, I guess we shall have to see what it's like in its final form.
    flyingtarg wrote: »
    szim wrote: »
    Hmm and I thought this was done because so many players have maxed out their ship slots. I'm surprised. Wouldn't it have been much easier to make every ship a player ever had on his char reclaimable? Kind of the same system you created for event and c-store ships but as a character unlock only.

We don't store a player's ship ownership history, unfortunately, so not only is not easier to make every ship a player ever had on his character reclaimable, it is actually impossible for us to do that.

It wouldn't work for Pre-S11 ships... but isn't that, essentially, part of what the Admiralty cards are, the game tracking what ship a player has owned?

Not a dev but I think I have an answer for this. The Admiralty system does not do. It just rewards you cards for the ships you have and will at that moment in time.

But they've already said that if you discard a ship, you keep the Admiralty card, so wouldn't it be possible for the game to basically check what Admiralty cards you have to see what ships you've had, cross-reference that you what ships you currently have (something I know can be done since the C-Store and Ship Requisitions can both tell you you already own a ship) and use that to say that you have previously owned "Ship A", you don't currently own "Ship A", so you can reclaim "Ship A" for free, at a discount, whatever? (This is part of why I said it would have no effect on ships owned and discarded before S11 since a player wouldn't have Admiralty cards for them)

It's not possible with they way things have been coded for lock box, lobi and promotional ships. I believe that those ships coded to be single character unlocks (similar to how ships used to be single claim), but isn't coded to grant you another ship. If you think about it, these ships are supposed to be rare ships that were found. You manage to get one, you're supposed to cherish it.

And I'm sure those ships were cherished... until they were devalued by the arrival of T6 and were not upgraded beyond T5U levels.
    flyingtarg wrote: »
    szim wrote: »
    Hmm and I thought this was done because so many players have maxed out their ship slots. I'm surprised. Wouldn't it have been much easier to make every ship a player ever had on his char reclaimable? Kind of the same system you created for event and c-store ships but as a character unlock only.

We don't store a player's ship ownership history, unfortunately, so not only is not easier to make every ship a player ever had on his character reclaimable, it is actually impossible for us to do that.

It wouldn't work for Pre-S11 ships... but isn't that, essentially, part of what the Admiralty cards are, the game tracking what ship a player has owned?

Not a dev but I think I have an answer for this. The Admiralty system does not do. It just rewards you cards for the ships you have and will at that moment in time.

But they've already said that if you discard a ship, you keep the Admiralty card, so wouldn't it be possible for the game to basically check what Admiralty cards you have to see what ships you've had, cross-reference that you what ships you currently have (something I know can be done since the C-Store and Ship Requisitions can both tell you you already own a ship) and use that to say that you have previously owned "Ship A", you don't currently own "Ship A", so you can reclaim "Ship A" for free, at a discount, whatever? (This is part of why I said it would have no effect on ships owned and discarded before S11 since a player wouldn't have Admiralty cards for them)

I think I get what you are saying. Use Admiralty cards as a way to record what ships players had and let them reclaim the "real" versions of those ships at a small cost or free right? This does sound like a good idea. Only real reason why I think it could not happen (besides someone just saying no) is beside you sometimes get one use Admiralty cards as you play.

So?

Code in allowreclaim=yes for normal Admiralty cards, allowreclaim=no for One Time Use cards or any 'special' ship that they don't want reclaimable.

Reclaim doesn't need to be attached to the admiralty system at all, just because that happens to be coming out.
    psiameese wrote: »
    Am I the only who saw the Drydock picture with the subject and thought, "Finally, a docking mechanic...to visually dock and launch my active starship in Star Trek film fashion!" ?

When I saw the picture, I thought it was going to be the ability to hop in one of those dock rigs and change ship costume or do repairs without having to actually go to the ground map.

NebulaOdyssey1_zpsqjc6anjg.jpg
    The Nebula-configured Odyssey needs to be a thing.
  • theonlyhamster#0636 theonlyhamster Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    people i have life time subscription does that mean i'll get the bonuses of the drydock?
  • aphelionmarauderaphelionmarauder Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    meurik wrote: »
    Dry Docking is an exciting new feature which allows you to store your hard-earned ships for the long term with the convenience of a few clicks, opening up Ship Slots!

Learn more about our new feature here.

~LaughingTrendy

And here's the big question:

Will all our previously claimed/earned ships (via any means such as EC, Dilithium, Lockbox or Zen), be able to be reclaimed, and put it into Drydock? I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt forced into dismissing an old ship, to make room on the roster.

EXACTLY WHERE THE HELL WAS THIS WHEN I NEEDED IT?

It essentially has become a giant F U to the people who had dismissed ships to make room because either they maxed out slots or are to poor to buy ship slots or do not have the time to grind dil to zen for them.

The struggle is real.

But I do love the idea and I will use it. Hopefully the slots will either cost a large amount of EC to purchase or will be half as expensive as ship slots.
    Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    Dry Docking is an exciting new feature which allows you to store your hard-earned ships for the long term with the convenience of a few clicks, opening up Ship Slots!

~LaughingTrendy

I still think this is being gone about the wrong way. I prefer to have our ships fully staffed, armed, consoled, and everything. Bridge officers trained and slotted. Then select one of your bridge officers to become the new Captain of the ship and transmitting the information to Star Fleet Command so everything is done in officialdom. The new Captain, crew, and ship functions autonomously for the new Captain was one of your most trusted officers that you knew you could depend on. The one who knows what Chair is all about. The new Captain should then be able to take over and do what her or she believes is the best capabilities and training for his crew and report those changes to the Fleet Admiral as they are considered and completed. Each additional ship should be established the same way. Building a fleet for yourself to command should be a serious job, not just a duty officer mission.

Just my two cents worth. :smile:
  • johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User

~LaughingTrendy

I still think this is being gone about the wrong way. I prefer to have our ships fully staffed, armed, consoled, and everything. Bridge officers trained and slotted. Then select one of your bridge officers to become the new Captain of the ship and transmitting the information to Star Fleet Command so everything is done in officialdom. The new Captain, crew, and ship functions autonomously for the new Captain was one of your most trusted officers that you knew you could depend on. The one who knows what Chair is all about. The new Captain should then be able to take over and do what her or she believes is the best capabilities and training for his crew and report those changes to the Fleet Admiral as they are considered and completed. Each additional ship should be established the same way. Building a fleet for yourself to command should be a serious job, not just a duty officer mission.

Just my two cents worth. :smile:

OK, I blew it with this one. Posted in the wrong place. Can someone fix that as I don't see a method to delete it. Sorry.

• hamishmacdoogalhamishmacdoogal Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Too bad I can't "show off" my ship collection to others. It would be neat to fly into a starbase and see them, but I figure with very large fleets x many ship each member, the space would be unmanageable. Also, not a fan of all the gear being dumped into the bank/inventory. I'm cramped enough as is.
  • grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    i have a question..... why would i purchase "drydock" slots over " ship slots" they are essentially the exact same thing just on one with a different name and i don't leave all my gear on the ship.. not that i do that anyway when switching ships.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    Will ships in dry dock register for the Admirality system, or will we have to take each one out of dry dock to have it added?
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    grtiggy wrote: »
    i have a question..... why would i purchase "drydock" slots over " ship slots" they are essentially the exact same thing just on one with a different name and i don't leave all my gear on the ship.. not that i do that anyway when switching ships.

A couple of reasons spring to mind. 1, they may be cheaper (based solely on the fact that they are less taxing on the server than ship slots). 2, you may have hit the cap on ship slots and need somewhere else to store ships.

I guess if neither of those are true, then you wouldn't need to purchase dry dock slots.
    ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    kelettes wrote: »

###
    Oh look! I just finished a PVE queue!
    *30 minutes (and a meal) later, character sitting on a bench on ESD*
    Still staring at the hourglass... 1 more hour left from my active ship's maintenance. Can't disembark...
    ###

^Gooosh I hope not...

Frankly, if they added that, I'd stop playing. There's already so little to do and making people wait for ships to be repaired would just be idiotic at best, albeit, such a Cryptic thing to do.
    Will ships in dry dock register for the Admirality system, or will we have to take each one out of dry dock to have it added?

Since this system will go live at the same time as, or after, the Admiralty system I don't think it'll matter. Ships in dry dock will have to be moved there from your roster, so they'd be in your roster for the Admiralty system to pick up before you moved them to dry dock.
    ​​
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    It's about time!Thank You!
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited October 2015

Since this system will go live at the same time as, or after, the Admiralty system I don't think it'll matter. Ships in dry dock will have to be moved there from your roster, so they'd be in your roster for the Admiralty system to pick up before you moved them to dry dock.
    ​​

What I meant was: if your ship roster is full and you add new ships that go directly into dry dock, will they still get registered for the Admirality system? Or will you have to swap ships out of dry dock with ships in your active roster, one by one?

Edit: Which brings another question to mind. If our ship roster is full can we add new ships that go directly to dry dock?

What I meant was: if your ship roster is full and you add new ships that go directly into dry dock, will they still get registered for the Admirality system? Or will you have to swap ships out of dry dock with ships in your active roster, one by one?

Edit: Which brings another question to mind. If our ship roster is full can we add new ships that go directly to dry dock?

I wasn't under the impression that it was possible to add new ships to the dry dock, without commissioning them first.
    ​​
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    I hope dry dock slot zen costs will be substantially cheaper than regular ship slots.
    dirlettia wrote: »
    Imagine the possibilities if it ever expanded into a shared drydock across all your toons :open_mouth: You'd be able to move lockbox ships between your toons.

Now THAT is a good idea.
    Great for alts you can't spend millions on constantly to pick up some rare lockbox ship.
    Devs, make it so!
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    Holy TRIBBLE this is a huge and generous change. Now this is what I'm talking about when I see that cryptic views a problem, and then offers a good solution. I don't agree all the time, but man, I love this idea.​​
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User

~LaughingTrendy

All players will have access to a handful of Dry Docking slots upon the feature’s release, and Gold Subscribers will automatically be granted access to many more.

Yeah! Many More Here! Get'ya HOT NUTS Here! Peanuts! Popcorn! Hot Nuts! Root Beer!!!

Many many many thanks DEVs! This is better than boiled peanuts. Uh. . .In the winter time!!! :D​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Nicely done!!! I like this feature! I don't like Discarding ships, even though I can get most of them back. I would also LOVE the chance to try the " event" ships like the ferengi and breen ships, but never have the open slots, and don't want to be made to discard them if they don't work out with my play style.
    THIS is a nice QoL improvement,, that also happens to fit in with the Admiralty system I would think. Of course being a Gold Member and seeing the " access to many more slots" is a plus. CARRY'ON STO!!!!

You are in error here - most Event Ships are reclaimable - through: Reputation->Events->Store->Account Reward Claim
    Edit: The ships are grayed out here if you have them (even as requisition crates), but if you don't have them (like if you discard them), you can get them once more for free.... unless you got that bug active, that one that stops to get some event ships (there was something like that a while ago... i think they still write abut it in the release notes)

The only one of my ships that it's not here is Obelisk Carrier

So you can try your Nandi / Dyson / Breen / whatever ship and then safely discard it - unless they change that system later...

I really hope they put some account shared dry dock slots on Zen store tough....
    Edit - but i doubt it - what would happen with those consoles from lockbox/lobi ships then? After all, drydock will remove all gear from ship to you inventory, and the consoles are character bound - i think
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    dirlettia wrote: »
    So (provisionally) happy at this news :smiley:

Agreed ! Eagerly awaiting further details !

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Drydocked ships can't be used for equipment storage? Bah. That's the main reason to have lots of ships sitting in your garage.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Drydocked ships can't be used for equipment storage? Bah. That's the main reason to have lots of ships sitting in your garage.

Think of it like pulling your 'car show special' Mustang or Corvette out into the driveway while you work on your everyday driver Toyota in the garage.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
This discussion has been closed.