test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If the year of hell never happened. ..

Ok so STO story line follows the line of reason that because voyager destroyed Anorex's time ship, the year of hell never happened, and the time weapon ship was never was built. So why is the first Krenim research station project a collection of artifacts from races that were removed from time by the Krenim? That suggests that the year of hell DID happen and the time ship WAS already built.
5rFUCPd.png

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Because they need you to donate your dilithium to remove it from the market, so that Zen prices rise obviously.

There's no story behind it... It's what you relate to the Krenim... Basically, you're reading too much into it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Because the ship that erased so many cultures from time was removed from time itself, negating all the things it did, including the events that steps later, killed Annorax's wife. What once seemed his only shot at getting her back, was now just a hobby, she had to convince him to put down to spend time with her. The year of hell never happened, but not all was lost to time. Just my conclusion on the matter :)
  • makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    anazonda wrote: »
    Because they need you to donate your dilithium to remove it from the market, so that Zen prices rise obviously.

There's no story behind it... It's what you relate to the Krenim... Basically, you're reading too much into it.

(Well yes I know, but you ruined the chance for a spirited hypothetical debate on temporal mechanics :) )
    5rFUCPd.png

• rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,480 Community Moderator

Actually... it would increase the demand for Dilithium, thus lowering the price of Zen.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Actually... it would increase the demand for Dilithium, thus lowering the price of Zen.

Lord I hope so.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • medic9193medic9193 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I believe that to fully comprehend how the "Year of Hell" events are being considered now you would have to remember that 1. Time is not linear. 2. While an event may have been "erased" from one segment of time it is not erased from all of time's dimensions. 3. Temporal Paradoxes exist. Don't get caught up in them or they will eat you alive. 4. Combining 1+2+3 you can speculate that it is possible some fragment of the "erased" timeline still exists or completely exists in another timeline and if somehow (in this case the Krenim) have found a way to access those other dimensions then they would be able to have the knowledge presented before us now.

ADD: The dimensional speculation vies off of Dr. Manheim and his own success.

One last hypothesis, While the ending to 'Year of Hell' did show his work unfinished and him being led away from it... there is nothing to disprove the possibility that he did complete the research at some point later on or that someone else did not complete it.
    y2idwb.png
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    Ok so STO story line follows the line of reason that because voyager destroyed Anorex's time ship, the year of hell never happened, and the time weapon ship was never was built. So why is the first Krenim research station project a collection of artifacts from races that were removed from time by the Krenim? That suggests that the year of hell DID happen and the time ship WAS already built.
    The episode Time in a Bottle explains that they have the plans to build it, but never did build it. That timeship that's being built isn't the same one from Year of Hell.
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    There was, however, a Year of Heck, and this is the fallout.
    boldly-watched.png
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    orangeitis wrote: »
    The episode Time in a Bottle explains that they have the plans to build it, but never did build it. That timeship that's being built isn't the same one from Year of Hell.

Bingo.

Think of it this way, TNG's episode "Yesterdays Enterprise" involves a catastrophic war between the FED and the KDF which had to be prevented by having the ENT-C blow itself up (albeit with Romulan disruptors) so the Klingons would be impressed enough not to be Klingons for a while. And yet in DS9 the KDF and FED go to war anyway. Is this a temporal paradox? No, (apart from the obvious point that the canon ST universe is a highly improbable accident which means nothing in the grand scheme of things with Sela wandering about it in) it just means that things happened differently but involved similar elements.

The Krenim are in a position to build timeships. They started earlier in one possible timeline (YOH), later in another (STO). But in either case its consistent with the Krenim's given society and technological capabilities. Those may have a lot to do with narrative convenience, but they're playing by the rules of fiction.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • arachnaasarachnaas Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I don't like it, and I really don't want Iconians be added to the list of races that the Krenim "Removed". You would think the Temporal corps would be all over these guys for warcrimes already committed if they had this kind of time tech. Lock boxes are kind of on the edge of being canon, so I can forgive. The fleet holding, not so much.

I'm glad that I can scold them for only adhering to Temporal Prime Directive when it suits them in the new episode, but I still think that removing entire races from the timeline is abominable. Just because there are no bodies does not make it not genocide.

Go back in time and work out peace between the old Iconians and the other races, try giving T'Ket a puppy so she is not so mad. There are so many better ways than erasing an entire species, let alone the Iconic ancient civilization of Star Trek.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I highly doubt cryptic can write that we remove the Iconians without losing their right to develop story content for STO.

Last I checked cryptic doesn't own the Star Trek IP

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
    gradii wrote: »
    I highly doubt cryptic can write that we remove the Iconians without losing their right to develop story content for STO.

I hope that you are correct, but I suspect some handwavium about STO being an alternate timeline or reality.
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    There was, however, a Year of Heck, and this is the fallout.

Ok this made me laugh. :p

5rFUCPd.png

edited July 2015

Um, have you seen what we've done so far this season?

Do you think that the grand plan of simply removing the iconians will succeed? Hey, the war never happened! Kahless, my aren't you looking not disintegrated. Everyone is happy forever. Next season.

No, it'll be another failed attempt that forces someone else (surely a ST cast member) to step in, take the initiative for the alliance, and advocate for the power of friendship over the power to bend the fabric of reality to our will. And of course that will finally work.

That's pop-lit for you. Its also a lot more ST than the moral "James Bond villians were right, super weapons solve all problems."
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited July 2015
    I don't really mind the power of understanding when it comes to Iconians. Which is slightly odd because I hate the everloving heck out of Elachi, who are a servitor race. I think my softhearted feelings for Iconians has to do with them being all that is left after some other races decided to wipe them out. I can't really fault them for acting paranoid and vengeful after something like that.
    So go friendship beam for Iconians. The sooner I can get back to killing guilt free elachi, and mirror universe jerks, the better.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User

Um, have you seen what we've done so far this season?

Do you think that the grand plan of simply removing the iconians will succeed? Hey, the war never happened! Kahless, my aren't you looking not disintegrated. Everyone is happy forever. Next season.

No, it'll be another failed attempt that forces someone else (surely a ST cast member) to step in, take the initiative for the alliance, and advocate for the power of friendship over the power to bend the fabric of reality to our will. And of course that will finally work.

That's pop-lit for you. Its also a lot more ST than the moral "James Bond villians were right, super weapons solve all problems."

In other words "Stop letting the Klingons take control of the missions and we'll be okay"
    edited July 2015

In other words "Stop letting the Klingons take control of the missions and we'll be okay"

Well, THAT Klingon. Worf probably had enough of his "let's just shoot them!" suggestions shot down during TNG to finally understand that not just shooting them can have certain uses.

And lets be clear, this isn't a criticism of Cryptic's writing. Its better to actually show that bull-headed, stupid ideas don't work in a believable context rather than just telling us how it would be bad if we were to ever stray from the moral high ground.
  • eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    medic9193 wrote: »
    I believe that to fully comprehend how the "Year of Hell" events are being considered now you would have to remember that 1. Time is not linear. 2. While an event may have been "erased" from one segment of time it is not erased from all of time's dimensions. 3. Temporal Paradoxes exist. Don't get caught up in them or they will eat you alive. 4. Combining 1+2+3 you can speculate that it is possible some fragment of the "erased" timeline still exists or completely exists in another timeline and if somehow (in this case the Krenim) have found a way to access those other dimensions then they would be able to have the knowledge presented before us now.

ADD: The dimensional speculation vies off of Dr. Manheim and his own success.

One last hypothesis, While the ending to 'Year of Hell' did show his work unfinished and him being led away from it... there is nothing to disprove the possibility that he did complete the research at some point later on or that someone else did not complete it.

So you are saying it's a bit timey wimey wibbly wobbly ? ;D
    ​​
  • belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    eiledon wrote: »
    ​​

tumblr_inline_mjn4lsiGVS1rb3i1l.gif
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

This. The time-spiel is what was associated with the Krynim on the show because we only saw one Kreeneem and his personal strife. For recognition value, Cryptic adapts the story and extrapolates it to the whole of Krinumhood and of course includes little name-droppings of things we saw on-screen. It's not supposed to make sense, it's supposed to provide a gameplay feature and in-name references to justify the license pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I believe that if one looks closely at the artifacts that can be displayed in the new holding, one will find that there is something created by a Doctor Emmett Brown in there. Perhaps Krenim technology has been accidentally hoisting items from other timelines?
    boldly-watched.png
  • serhatgs1905serhatgs1905 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    1 don't read to much into story and don't nitpick lol.

Voyager destroyed the timeship.. it was removed from time so it never did all the things like destroying civilizations and everything is back to "normal time line" Annorax choose to spent time with his wife instead of fixate and focus his very being on building that ship. sooooo that's all there is to it.. in this time line the Krenim never got to build the ship maybe due to other factors.. war ? economy? disease? political choices?

Temporal mechanics. if 1 affects 2 than 2 effects 6 and 6 effects 36 and so on and so on.... Never mess with temporal mechanics XD
    tactics? to pew pew or not to pew pew?!

[/quote]

​​[/quote]

Exactly. Actually if we followed the Doctors advice of "Don't blink", we'd probably have alot less problems keeping an eye on those portal popping herolds. O_o
    5rFUCPd.png

edited July 2015
    arachnaas wrote: »
    I don't really mind the power of understanding when it comes to Iconians. Which is slightly odd because I hate the everloving heck out of Elachi, who are a servitor race. I think my softhearted feelings for Iconians has to do with them being all that is left after some other races decided to wipe them out. I can't really fault them for acting paranoid and vengeful after something like that.
    So go friendship beam for Iconians. The sooner I can get back to killing guilt free elachi, and mirror universe jerks, the better.

I don't really share the warm squishy feeling towards the iconians, I do feel you on the Elachi.ill even see just player elachi ships and get the feeling of wanting to run them down :P
    5rFUCPd.png

edited July 2015

I don't really share the warm squishy feeling towards the iconians, I do feel you on the Elachi.ill even see just player elachi ships and get the feeling of wanting to run them down :P

I'm kinda glad that melee weapons are the best thing to use on elachi, killing them with a machete(Tsunkatse Falchion) is viscerally satisfying. Elachi were presented in a way that made them instantly hateable. They had the right ambiance of horror in the combat we had with them, and in how their environment looks. They did a great job at making them the kind of adversary that people love to kill.

The Iconians just aren't written like that, they don't feel like I should be killing them. I'm just sad that what happened in the past has turned them into what they are now. Undine already fill the slot of "Arrogant enemy that calls me weak even as I am breaking their limbs", so I don't need any more of that. As a Hero when I look at the Iconian story I don't feel like I should be killing them, I feel like what I should be doing is redeeming them.

• ghostmatterghostmatter Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Because those timelines somehow still "existed" at one point and artifacts were recovered from them, likely temporary shielded.

Example.
    Post edited by ghostmatter on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User

Or, it suggests that any plotline involving anything having to do with time travel has a high probability of being utter nonsense.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Or, it suggests that any plotline involving anything having to do with time travel has a high probability of being utter nonsense.

Only if you don't follow the rules for that particular instance. Usually, instances of time travel in Star Trek follow rules that are explained within the episode. Those always work different than the episode before, but in this particular episode the rules stated count. STO just completely ignored the rules for the weapon ship thing for the sake of recognition value. Dr. Who for example did that as well (establishing rules and breaking them in the next episode) leading the time-travel aspect of a show ad absurdum.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • gameshogungameshogun Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    The answer is simple, there are things that were left in this timeline.

You see, the first rule in temporal mechanics is this: Time is both non-linear and linear.

Time is non-linear: Meaning, you have to view time as an observer, "outside of time", unaffected by the flow of time, not part of it. All points in time are the "present", there is no "past" nor "future", there is only the "present".

Best example: Temporal (Cold) War.
    Daniel's 31st Faction, the TCW is a "present" thing.
    The 29th Fed faction, the TCW is a "present" thing.
    Archer's time period, the TCW is a "present" thing.

All of those points in time, the TCW is happening at the "present", not "past", not "future". They're all happening simultaneously.

The question now is this, since the TCW/TW "ended" before it even started in the first place, then doesn't it mean time was reset? Don't we have a grandfather paradox in there?

Well, no. Because time is also linear.

Time is linear: Meaning, anything that happens, "will happened" (intentional wording). Going back to the TCW/TW example, as it is the best, here's how things occurred linearly.

1. Some temporal incursions started to happen.
    2. Started Temporal Cold War because of what happened in the World Wars era of Germany
    3. Daniel's 31st Faction went to Archer's time period to stop another faction from another century's incursions.
    4. Archer's time period got involved in the war.
    5. They all went back in World Wars era Germany.
    6. The Temporal Cold War turned into a Temporal War (ie All-Out War)
    7. Eventually, they were able to stop the very "move" or "event" that started the Temporal (Cold) War in the first place.
    8. They all happily lived ever after

Was time reset? Nope. In fact, the Temporal centuries all have records of what happened inside their time-shielded vaults. If time was indeed reset, they will never have these records. Yet they do have.

Another way of explaining it, all thanks to the great mind of Star Trek writer Christopher Bennett, (time is still linear was his explanation), these temporal incursions are "frontlines" in a war.

So for example.

There was a frontline in the World Wars era Germany.
    Yet when we reached Archer's time period, the events of the Temporal (Cold) War still occurred! Did they not end it before it even started? Yes. But as time is still linear, the Temporal Frontline in Archer's time period must happen, otherwise, the whole Temporal War will unravel and we'll truly have a real grandfather paradox!

As you see, there never was a grandfather paradox because time is both non-linear and linear. What happened in a non-linear fashion will and must happen in a linear fashion. Time was never truly reset.

It's how you can explain the "Year of Hell" Voyager episodes.

Did it happen? Yes. Because it must happen, linearly and non-linearly.
    Was time reset? No. Everything is still as it's supposed to be.
    Does that mean it was Voyager's destiny to destroy the time battleship? No. If Voyager wasn't there, some other event will destroy that ship.
    Then does it mean the timeship's destiny is to get destroyed? No. There is no such thing as destiny.
    How is that possible then? You are contradicting yourself?!!

Not really. The thing is, as far as Trek temporal mechanics is concerned, timeline splits eventually merges back together. The prime timeline usually survives. The only time the prime timeline doesn't survive is when the other timeline gets more "weight" and "mass" than the prime timeline, that it's replaced forever, never to be restored.

For example. Let's say I'm a very important person that resulted in a 31st Century Earth where we've conquered the Milky Way Galaxy.
    But someone from the 33rd Century traveled to my time, today, and pulled me to the 33rd Century.
    Since time is non-linear, everything is present. The 33rd Century will arrive to is different from the 33rd Century that kidnapper left.
    Why?
    Because whatever it will be that I was supposed to discover for the benefit of humanity, was never discovered or invented because I was no longer there!
    Eventually, since this new 33rd Century now has me and the original version of the kidnapper, it gains more weight and mass. Sooner or later, this new timeline will replace the prime timeline, and that prime timeline will cease to exist, no longer recoverable -- unless I'm returned to the exact point in time I was taken from, and continue my life without using any knowledge I have gained of "time travel" and the "future -- from my perspective". Otherwise, if I failed to do that, either there'll be a new timeline, or the timeline I've witnessed will remain so.

Annorax's is the same. When Voyager destroyed his timeship, that timeline where Voyager, the key to it's destruction, became the new timeline.
    As such, Annorax's timeship never happened in this timeline.

But as the episodes have showed us, there is still a remnant left of that timeline where Annorax and Voyager crossed paths. But notice how Voyager was not named? Noticed how it was just some ship from out-of-nowhere? It's because that ship could have been any other ship. It just so happened it was Voyager that filled it.

Which then we go back to... it is Annorax's destiny to fail. Again, no. As I've explained earlier...

​​
    [ Home | Bio | Send me a gift! ]
    [ Blog: YOOki Chronicles ]
    [ Verify me: Keybase | OpenPGP ]

"Someone should do a story where a Horta meets a Vorta. And then they find a portal to Vorta-Vor and become immortal. Sorta." ~Christopher L. Bennett
  • gameshogungameshogun Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    So in summary... there were stuff from these different timelines that showed up in the new prime timeline because the branches are merging. Those stuff that somehow became important, survived in the merging of the timelines. Which this new prime timeline will probably not solve to who it belonged to, since it's possible the race that created it only existed in that old timeline, never in this new timeline.

It's a temporal artifact that the Department of Temporal Investigations should have confiscated. But it seems the DTI in STO's timeline are no longer doing that.​​
    [ Home | Bio | Send me a gift! ]
    [ Blog: YOOki Chronicles ]
    [ Verify me: Keybase | OpenPGP ]

"Someone should do a story where a Horta meets a Vorta. And then they find a portal to Vorta-Vor and become immortal. Sorta." ~Christopher L. Bennett