test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Many Moons have passed.. How do you like the Forum now..?

Comments

• grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    Like them (with the fixes from asterelle and nrglg)
    Little more color would be nice ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    But you say no? What is it about then? Come on, surely you have an answer for this simple question.

I didnt answer your previous request one way or another, I just pointed out you simply cannot bring yourself to ignore me and move on with your life. You've provided a good deal of amusement to me and several friends today :) thx. But really if you're going to try and ride that morality horse, you should probably make the attempt to cease responding.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    Don't like them (as they are)
    Oh, look. He still couldn't answer the question on what the thread is about.
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    Little more color would be nice ...

Yes, it would. The vBulletin forums were the same way. I can't quite grasp what PWE finds so fascinating about gray.
    edited June 2015
    Oh, look. He still couldn't answer the question on what the thread is about.

didn't not couldn't... and look you still find it impossible to not reply
  • nepsthennepsthen Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    Don't like them (even with the fixes from asterelle and nrglg)
    valoreah wrote: »
    The design of these forums is quite possibly the worst I've ever seen on the internet. Whomever developed the color scheme/CSS for these really needs to take some classes on basic web design for readability and usability.

Far and away a horribly laid out forum. Please change this PWE

Just be glad you haven't seen mid to late 90's forums with the <blink> tag enabled. It could be done better, though. Having a ton of unused space is horrid these days. If a couple users can bang out a better version in a couple days, it makes me wonder how the current format ever got approved. It's like an echo chamber with Cryptic/PWE and certain things. vBulletin should be put to better use than this. I do agree with some earlier posts that state how it's not our job to send out fixes for this. It's fine temporarily, but it shouldn't become a standard.
    DxDiag64 dump 19Feb2016: http://pastebin.com/1c0pkEuw
    nepsthen wrote: »
    Just be glad you haven't seen mid to late 90's forums with the <blink> tag enabled.

oh gods, I remember those
    Color would be good, and another thing that would improve the appearance of these fora would be game specific background images. There is, as stated, a ton of unused space on the sides. The "fixes" users have provided really should be integrated asap by pwe, most are just the basic stuff that any good forum should have. Also page buttons at the top AND bottom, and a quick 'to top' button would be nice.
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    not wanting to impose or take sides in what is clearly 'a thing' between you 2, but is this really the proper forum for it? sometimes regardless of the love, or lack of, any relationship gets to that point where its best to just to move on. once you hit that point, anything either of you says has a tendency to erupt dramatically and become some crazy name and toy throwing episode, such as this. you end up achieving nothing positive, going round in circles and airing all your funky underwear in public. bottom line, people will only see the crazy toy throwing (and the funky underwear) assume a total lack of maturity (unless you are about 14 or 15, in which case it fits) and then miss any interesting opinions or perspectives each of you has to offer. would it not be best to just to call it quits, or at the least get a room? if the love isn't there... it just isn't there.

ok maybe not needed, seems things have moved on without me having to show all the grey in the hair i have left
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    qziqza wrote: »
    7 days have passed since the Forum migrated, some may have grown accustomed to the new format, some not. Others may have taken advantage of the fixes created by asterelle, nrglg and a few other nice folk, while some may be unaware, as was i, that any changes to the format can be made (link below if you are interested)

i'm sure we all want the Forums to be fully functional and suitable for use, so understanding why you are making the choices you are are, will hopefully provide useful feedback to help get it there. so a sentence, a few words, even just a grunt may well prove useful.

please, don't select option 4 unless you have installed and tried the fixes provided by asterelle or nrglg (this is additional information added after voting commenced)

your poll is bias there is no unsure/dont know in the poll. next time add one because as it is i cant answer your question.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited June 2015
    your poll is bias there is no unsure/dont know in the poll. next time add one because as it is i cant answer your question.
    sorry chaos, but i'm after a very specific data set, my interest is mainly in the relative split between those that 'do like' and those that 'don't like' the forum, the further break down helps provide another few values for beneficial interpretation. unfortunately 'unsure/don't know' fails to provide a value that adds to the data set, such a response can simultaneously support or oppose both sides of the argument, either way it cancels itself out.

while there is no poll option to represent unsure/don't know, i would be interested in reading your reasons for being unsure. numbers make strong points, but reasoning can help add colour and/or lead to better questions.
    Post edited by qziqza on
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    qziqza wrote: »
    sorry chaos, but i'm after a very specific data set, my interest is mainly in the relative split between those that 'do like' and those that 'don't like' the forum, the further break down helps provide another few values for beneficial interpretation. unfortunately 'unsure/don't know' fails to provide a value that adds to the data set, such a response can simultaneously support or oppose both sides of the argument, either way it cancels itself out.

while there is no poll option to represent unsure/don't know, i would be interested in reading your reasons for being unsure. numbers make strong points, but reasoning can help add colour and/or lead to better questions.

short term goals can be a lot different from long term goals. you want specific results, sometimes the only way you can monitor it is over a long amount of time, to see if it really does work for example. i mean you apply say for example; this new update you bring as this new flashy button but in the end while you may get a surge of players at the start, but then it slows or stops, was the point of it good or bad? you can get that specific detailed answer until you run it for a number of weeks to a few months at the least to give accurate data.

so yes there is more to it then it looks. and as you put in your title, over a week has past since, so there is plenty oftime yet to get a really good answer together not just in numbers but fairly useful data from others.

im stating i dont know because its just too early to tell for some of this.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited June 2015
    less that I dont feel comfortable with third party tools, more that I think pwe/cryptic need to implement these basic forum tools themselves.

oh and hi other me, lmfao
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    nrglg wrote: »
    So I suppose next you'll be advocating hacking into their games and fixing their bugs for them?

Been there, done that. Not joking. I was a security researcher before a few months ago. This kind of comment is just stupid anyways. We're talking about client-side fixes which can be easily added. You don't need PWE for that.

It's not stupid, it's just the same logic applied to a similar situation. PWE is responsible for these forums and they're responsible for their games. Anything that goes wrong with them is also their responsibility. Just because you were "nice" enough to put together a plugin (although after your snide remarks, I have doubts about any sort of "niceness" being remotely involved), it still doesn't excuse PWE for their shoddy work.

It is stupid, forum formatting, like any visual item, will always be up tot he individual users interpertation/preference. Yes, they can do some things to change how the forums looks, and people will still whine about it. Being able to pick or make custom styles gives more people more options.

Honestly, if they made avatars bigger, text in replies bigger, added a dev tracker, and added a line between the post and a post signature, I'd be plenty happy with the forums, but even if they just added a Dev tracker they would be more then adequate. Any dislike people have with the forums is all in their head, and since everyone has a different head, at some point you accept that some people won't be happy and move on.

The same sky is falling, PWE is the great satan, the forums are terrible and will never be usable BS happened when we transitioned to the last forums too.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    reximuz wrote: »
    nrglg wrote: »
    So I suppose next you'll be advocating hacking into their games and fixing their bugs for them?

Been there, done that. Not joking. I was a security researcher before a few months ago. This kind of comment is just stupid anyways. We're talking about client-side fixes which can be easily added. You don't need PWE for that.

It's not stupid, it's just the same logic applied to a similar situation. PWE is responsible for these forums and they're responsible for their games. Anything that goes wrong with them is also their responsibility. Just because you were "nice" enough to put together a plugin (although after your snide remarks, I have doubts about any sort of "niceness" being remotely involved), it still doesn't excuse PWE for their shoddy work.

It is stupid, forum formatting, like any visual item, will always be up tot he individual users interpertation/preference. Yes, they can do some things to change how the forums looks, and people will still whine about it. Being able to pick or make custom styles gives more people more options.

Actually my concerns were more about the various bugs and clunkiness of the forum overall. In fact, some features we allegedly have now *coughflaggingpostscough* don't appear to work at all. The appearance, aside from the obvious navigation issues, doesn't really concern me all that much. While I do find PWE's fascination with gray curious, the current grayness doesn't make the previous forums any less gray.

So, no, it's not stupid. But you seem to be admitting that the plugins are only a cosmetic feature and won't actually fix the issues I have with the forums.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Like them (as they are)
    The design of these forums is quite possibly the worst I've ever seen on the internet. Whomever developed the color scheme/CSS for these really needs to take some classes on basic web design for readability and usability.

Far and away a horribly laid out forum. Please change this PWE
    Yeah, I'm wondering if this is the default layout/color scheme for a vanilla forum...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    Nope, still don't like it. And like it or not, I will keep saying so until PWE fixes it. I applaud those two guys for helping out to fix it, but I don't want to use 3rd party software; it's not my fault PWE can't make a competant forum.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    Vanilla is the best forum ever, and the posters love it. ;)
    edited June 2015
    voporak wrote: »
    Nope, still don't like it. And like it or not, I will keep saying so until PWE fixes it. I applaud those two guys for helping out to fix it, but I don't want to use 3rd party software; it's not my fault PWE can't make a competent forum.
    that is my main reason behind this poll, and why i have given the options i have. i love the work some of the community have done to improve the forum appearance, it has actually made it bearable for me to use, but that is far from the issue that the community seems to have with this forum. i wanted to make sure that the numbers meant something and could convey the overwhelming unhappiness felt by the community about functionality only they can address, and that while the modifications from the community are making a difference, it in no way resolves the issue.

ultimately, i just don't want PW sitting back and thinking 'you know what, its been covered, we don't need to do anything' when it seems clear that they still do. the numbers are showing, that of the ~90% poll participants that are unhappy with the forums, there is a 50/50 split between those who have tried the community mods, and those who don't want to try them, or don't think they should have too. that is a pretty clear message in my mind.

i have heard that there are some changes coming.. so.. hopefully they will address these concerns, we shall just need to wait and see, and continue looking to provide constructive feedback.
    Post edited by qziqza on
    tYld1gu.gif?1
  • mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    Voted "like them as they are" because I can modify them if I wish. (like any game that I can mod.).

Looking for improvements, but it's easy to deal with as is. Really, considering most of the content is TRIBBLE like this thread, why should I bother? I could go to reddit, but same asine posts, upvote means I see what the peers want me to see (unless I change settings), and the style is so basic.

The forums got the move it needed. This is the quality it deserves. I'm looking forward to improvements, but could care less. Crying about a dev tracker takes more time than following a simple twitter feed....

gHF1ABR.jpg
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    They looks of the place, albeit horrendous and fixable, aren't my problem. 50% of the time things don't work the way they should. I was recently out of town and was forced to use my laptop. I could not post or read any pages past the 1st. I won't rant about it. I'll just say how I feel simply. This is exactly the quality I have come to expect from PWE.
  • mavolio121mavolio121 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    How do you like the Forum now..?

[STILL] need's a New Thread/"What's New?" clickie.

(SERIOUSLY MISS THAT!)

MMO gaming threads have always been a P.I.T.A navigating without it.

Next thing you know people will be necro-ing old threads left and right.

(Edit) Scratch that just discovered the "Discussions" clickie.

Also would love to see an ignore thread poster option...all the damn immature trolling gives me a headache. :s

Take the garbage talk over to Troll Central...err I mean SW;ToR.
    Post edited by mavolio121 on
  • mavolio121mavolio121 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    /10characters
    mavolio121 wrote: »
    Also would love to see an ignore thread poster option...all the damn immature trolling gives me a headache. :s

Take the garbage talk over to Troll Central...err I mean SW;ToR

that would be a grand option... but swtor's forums are way better than here.. I think you might be referring to any forum by piranha games... now those are aflame
  • ellyashtearellyashtear Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    not totally decided on it yet, it has a few features i like but, i really miss the peak option so i could tell if a thread was a troll/complaint thread or not before opening it...
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    These forums suck and the person who made the decision to migrate sucks.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Like them (as they are)
    nepsthen wrote: »
    Just be glad you haven't seen mid to late 90's forums with the <blink> tag enabled. It could be done better, though. Having a ton of unused space is horrid these days. If a couple users can bang out a better version in a couple days, it makes me wonder how the current format ever got approved. It's like an echo chamber with Cryptic/PWE and certain things. vBulletin should be put to better use than this. I do agree with some earlier posts that state how it's not our job to send out fixes for this. It's fine temporarily, but it shouldn't become a standard.

I've been using computers since before there was an internet as you know it, and yes I do remember the <blink> tag. Even that is a vast improvement over how this site is laid out.

To call whomever designed these forums an amateur with zero basic knowledge of usability and readability is being kind. But as others have said, this is the quality we've come to expect from PWE. Relying on players to fix this TRIBBLE poor excuse of a design is laziness and incompetence on PWE's part I'm sad to say.
    that's just it..... I don't think they actually designed anything. My best guess is that they configured only what needed to be done for functionality, and didn't bother to even think about aesthetics.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    that's just it..... I don't think they actually designed anything. My best guess is that they configured only what needed to be done for functionality, and didn't bother to even think about aesthetics.
    yeah, it certainly feels like something 'right of the shelf and just out the box' and part of me would like to think that it wasn't anticipated or planned for it to be this.. poor.. on migration. but assumptions and generalisations aside, we never really know what's going on behind the scenes lol.

tYld1gu.gif?1
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I like it well enough with the enhancements provided, without them it's just awful. Navigation is by far the most unintuitive I have ever seen on a forum.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    themarie wrote: »

Sounds like this forum is a regular brothel. Wait, isn't the forum supposed to be all ages?

All fun aside, with the PWE vanilla enhancement and the pro blue theme it's pretty decent.
    Things like layout, mark all forums as read and actually having sections of the forum you've hidden be hidden would be nice.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

Sounds like this forum is a regular brothel. Wait, isn't the forum supposed to be all ages?

All fun aside, with the PWE vanilla enhancement and the pro blue theme it's pretty decent.
    Things like layout, mark all forums as read and actually having sections of the forum you've hidden be hidden would be nice.

Agreed, I just discovered the enhancements and they're a significant improvement. Still plenty of room for improvement, but at least the the Enchantments make the forum useable.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited June 2015
    questerius wrote: »

i think i saw a mention of the 'not hidden' hidden issue, apparently they changed the 'handle' or 'definition' or 'labels' of some of the sections (that may not be the right terminology lol) so to fix it al you need to do is unhide them all (select the url below that fits your entry point) and then go through the hide process again.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/categories/?ShowAllCategories=true
    http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/categories/?ShowAllCategories=true
    tYld1gu.gif?1