What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Debriefing Session 28

Comments

• Options
    lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Actually, my friend, she did commit crimes against both the Federation and the Klingon Empire for which she has not stood trial.

1.) Against the Federation - Kidnapping of a Starfleet Officer, sending an imposter in his place for the brainwashing of captured officer, using captured officer as an infiltrator to kill a Klingon Governor to start a Civil War on a colony world near the Klingon/Federation boarder. In short, an act of espionage. [TNG Season 4 Episode 'The Mind's Eye']

2.) Against the Klingon Empire - Assisted Klingon criminals from the dishonored House of Duras against the legitimate Klingon government led by Chancellor Gowron, thus creating the Klingon Civil War of 2367-2368. [TNG Season 4/5 Episodes 'Redemption Parts 1 and 2']

3.) Against the Federation (Specifically against Vulcan) - Stealing surplus ships from the Qualar II Surplus yard in an attempt to conquer Vulcan by way of a Holographic Ambassador Spock publically endorsing Vulcan/Romulan Reunification that was essentially an Invasion by any other name. [TNG Season 5 Episodes 'Unification Parts 1 and 2']

With that being said, I would very much like to see where this leads storywise in the upcoming Iconian War.

Just out a bit of curiosity, when will the extragalactic threat of the Kelvins become a problem?

Oh you forgot her intention to burn Vulcan with the use of red matter/thaloron. THAT made SC scream. But honestly, do it the easy way and not waste some officers time asking her questions while we could just pull a Romulan-built mind probe out of that guys pocket and remove that suff out of her mind but leave the pain so that these RR types can show their inner Romulan
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Where is Obisek during all of this? He was the one who shot Hakeev in the face, (unless you were the Romulan player who did it), and it was his forces who fought Sela when she was captured by the Iconians to begin with. Since he joined or allied with the Republic, he should be more active going forward, IMO, and it would make sense that he would wish to be a part of these interrogations. We keep doing missions where we bump into Captain Jarok and the Lleiset, and I think it's time we bump into Obisek and the Zdenia. Or maybe the Zdenia is retired after that battle and he's upgraded to one of the TIer 6 Romulan ships?

Either way, I want more Obisek.
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    One problem with that. Most players (and probably npcs too) don't think she knows anything useful enough to keep her alive. Even my nicest character wouldn't consider it a big loss if she had been cut down in a crossfire.

On the other hand, didn't Denise Crosby want to give Sela a redemption arc?

Where did you hear that about Crosby?

Both my main toon and leading alt are Starfleet. Yes Sela should be given a trial for all her various crimes against all three factions... but it should be a fair, legal trial with proper counsel, rights and whatnot.

Perhaps make a bargain if it gets valuable information against the Iconians. Maybe. Depends on how good the info is.

Right now the RR isn't looking too far from its Star Empire cousins.
  • Options
    edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lessley00 wrote: »
    Sela doesen't even deserve a trial and I know she will die unless the federation wants to take control of her and call the death sentence (un-just).

Everyone deserves a trial and if you believe otherwise, you don't deserve to wear that uniform.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hm... let's say Saddam commits crimes against Russia and the United States, then is overthrown by a rebellion and is now held in an Iraqi prison.

I don't think the US or Russia would have anything other than threat of force or sanctions to demand anything in particular of the new Iraq government in relation to how they treat their former dictator.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    canis36 wrote: »
    Exactly.

They're behaving as old-school Romulans, Romulans of the Empire, not the Republic.

Who says the Republic is 100% a Federation copy?

Even comparing the concept of fundamental rights in the US and UK becomes an interesting exercise--two democracies that do NOT guarantee the same rights to their citizens.

Plus, IMO what applies here is the Seldonis (Geneva) Convention, not a criminal law model.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    ryvakenryvaken Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The Republic has entered into treaties with the Federation. We know From TNG S6E11, Chain of Command Part 2, that the Federation engages its allies and neighbors in treaties specifically concerning the treatment of prisoners of war.

Even if we overlook that probability, she's being treated like a political prisoner. No contact with anyone. Guards are not allowed to talk to her. Her rights are being denied. Her interrogator is very blatant with a nonprofessionally hostile attitude. She has no reason to believe she'll survive sentencing for war crimes and every reason to believe the Republic has taken a page from the Cardassians on how to hold a trial.

If you want a prisoner to cooperate, she needs to have hope, she needs to have an incentive, and she needs a reason to be truthful. Torture is worse than useless, but this casual mistreatment will never generate results. Get her a damn lawyer and she might just open her mouth.
    Admiral Ryvaken, USS Arthra (NCC-947749), Aventine class.
    As the seventy-fourth Rule of Acquisition clearly states, knowledge equals profit. And I am a very rich Ferengi.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    ryvaken wrote: »
    The Republic has entered into treaties with the Federation. We know From TNG S6E11, Chain of Command Part 2, that the Federation engages its allies and neighbors in treaties specifically concerning the treatment of prisoners of war.

Even if we overlook that probability, she's being treated like a political prisoner. No contact with anyone. Guards are not allowed to talk to her. Her rights are being denied. Her interrogator is very blatant with a nonprofessionally hostile attitude. She has no reason to believe she'll survive sentencing for war crimes and every reason to believe the Republic has taken a page from the Cardassians on how to hold a trial.

If you want a prisoner to cooperate, she needs to have hope, she needs to have an incentive, and she needs a reason to be truthful. Torture is worse than useless, but this casual mistreatment will never generate results. Get her a damn lawyer and she might just open her mouth.

Good idea, just as long as its a cold, logical Vulcan who wouldn't hold a grudge. Or just torture her
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Counsel for Empress Sela should be provided by the law offices of Crane, Poole & Schmidt.

Two words for the Romulan Republic: DENNY CRANE! :D
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The RR needs to do the responsible thing here after squeezing Sela for all the info on the Iconians. They need to load Sela into a torpedo tube, affording her a face first view of the nearest star, then they need to press the launch button. Then we can wave at Sela as she goes streaking by us at full impulse, face first, into the star.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    velqua wrote: »
    Counsel for Empress Sela should be provided by the law offices of Crane, Poole & Schmidt.

Two words for the Romulan Republic: DENNY CRANE! :D

Say who?

Or get her a John Grisham lawyer and Ill buy the popcorn for the trial.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    The RR needs to do the responsible thing here after squeezing Sela for all the info on the Iconians. They need to load Sela into a torpedo tube, affording her a face first view of the nearest star, then they need to press the launch button. Then we can wave at Sela as she goes streaking by us at full impulse, face first, into the star.

Be sure there's not a drop of red matter in the torpedo so that Mol'Rhian's sun isent swallowed into a black hole, then my rom will join you waving as she goes streaking by us at full impulse, face first, into the star.

• Options
    furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Who says the Republic is 100% a Federation copy?

Exactly. Just because the Republic isn't as bad as the Star Empire used to be, doesn't mean we adhere to the same regulations and principles that Starfleet religiously follows. Personally, I'm always glad when we get instances where that shows, like the Romulan player character shooting Hakeev instead of Obisek, or Jarok pretty much wanting to do the same when we first captured Sela.

And the reason why the Republic is keeping her so isolated, and being very skeptical about anything she says, even her talk about the Iconians, is because we are intimately aware of how dangerous and manipulative she can be.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • Options
    makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Let Jarok or Drake have a go at interrogating her.

This. Also like the idea of Jack Bower and/or Obisek.
    5rFUCPd.png

• Options
    xstarhammerxxstarhammerx Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ahh, legal hypocrisy, the cornerstone of any government.
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    risian4 wrote: »
    What I don't understand:

Taris was held captive in one of the most secure (ahem) prisons of the Federation (facility 4028). She could escape with help from the Iconians.

If the Iconians can open up gateways everywhere, then how do you escape their prisons? They could just open up a gateway and retrieve you at any time, right?

She was being held in an Elachi facility, not an Iconian one. And have you considered that they might have let her escape on purpose.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    This. Also like the idea of Jack Bower and/or Obisek.

Obisek would get off-topic too much and Sela would leave the room with at least ALL ribs broken and some broken arms and legs and other parts, oh and a bunch of stab wounds from Obisek's knife. if not the knife then his nails

• Options
    spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ha! All the RR defenders can now see what a sham it is. You all want to be the RSE, just without the bad PR.

Seriously, though, this interrogator is lousy. He lost control of the session when he let Sela start asking the questions.
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Exactly. Just because the Republic isn't as bad as the Star Empire used to be, doesn't mean we adhere to the same regulations and principles that Starfleet religiously follows. Personally, I'm always glad when we get instances where that shows, like the Romulan player character shooting Hakeev instead of Obisek, or Jarok pretty much wanting to do the same when we first captured Sela.

Similarly, when I write the Cardassian Union in my fanfic, even though they are Fed-allied and subject to Fed-imposed treaty restrictions, they still execute for a variety of serious crimes ranging from murder to mutiny to r*pe to child abuse. The Federation finds this barbaric even though the new Union conducts real trials now where the criminal actually has a right to a defense, but the Cardassians fundamentally do not accept the restorative/rehabilitative model of criminal justice and continue to believe that you must harshly punish such crimes and ensure that a) the guilty of capital crimes can NEVER do it again, not even a tiny risk, and b) an example is made out of them to warn others that if they do the same, they too will die for it.

All the Fed complaints in the world have not altered this aspect of the Cardassian worldview--only the idea that the accused must have a fair trial so that people are not being executed for things they did not do.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    1. I think Obisek is not being given enough credit. He was far wiswer a warrior than that. I do agree I kind of miss him.

2. There were 28 debriefing sessions and this is the best they got? That's like two-digits too high without calling me (Mhae, my Romulan character) to come and have an useful chat with Sela.

3.The Romulan Republic have been very good with the motto "Stick to what matters" in general. I'll admit to disappointment that Sela's handling is being done so poorly. It's incompetent.

I'm very pro-Republic, and yet I look at this and just end up disappointed. I was really hoping Sela's trial would be an opportunity to generate more assets on New Romulus, namely a Senate chamber where people might have assembled to interrogate Sela and get answers out of her regarding the Iconians and their servitor races.
  • Options
    trivialpursuittrivialpursuit Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thats just odd, FED's give inmates proper jail garbs. And beside, her imperial outfit could be full of tricks.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Thats just odd, FED's give inmates proper jail garbs. And beside, her imperial outfit could be full of tricks.

Who ever said she was a federation prisoner? She is Romulan, so she will be held by the Republic

• Options
    edited March 2015
    umaeko wrote: »
    2. There were 28 debriefing sessions and this is the best they got? That's like two-digits too high without calling me (Mhae, my Romulan character) to come and have an useful chat with Sela.

3.The Romulan Republic have been very good with the motto "Stick to what matters" in general. I'll admit to disappointment that Sela's handling is being done so poorly. It's incompetent

answering two: thats my thought too

answering three: fire the interoggator

• Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lessley00 wrote: »
    Who ever said she was a federation prisoner? She is Romulan, so she will be held by the Republic

Sure, so when a Federation citizen commits a crime against the Klingon Empire they are held by the Federation? Or vice versa?
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would be willing to let Tovan Khev be her counsel, if it means I can get rid of him. lol.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    *facepalm*

When they're given RP, they want to return the RP. I think is something they secretly, actually, desire, when they say: "I wish the game were more Trek."

Am I right? Or, am I right? ;)
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    razar2380 wrote: »
    I would be willing to let Tovan Khev be her counsel, if it means I can get rid of him. lol.

fixed that for ya

I would let Tovan have a go at her so that my sister Tiva'raau (Tovan's new wife) and I could count how long until Tovan would lunge accross the table and strangle Sela

• Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    khan5000 wrote: »
    they are not but then again they are Romulans
    They are treating her better than she treats her prisoners, or have you not played "Mind Game"?
    I have no idea what that was all about. But it was a fabulous read all the same. Sela's arrogance was delicious. I loved every minute of it.

Plus her trademark "politician" way of answering questions, while at the same time saying absolutely NOTHING. :D
    It was beautiful, I gotta say it's amazing how much respect as a threat she's being afforded here.

Sela's being treated as a far more intimidating badass than she ever was in the series.
    ryvaken wrote: »
    They would on the other hand have to actually intervene on that though. Seeing as how Sela has been a thorn in the Federation's side for going on give decades now, and only recently attempted to go Nero on Vulcan, I doubt they're inclined to intervene on what is basically a sovereign Romulan affair. Prime Directive is the default.
    To wit, she partially is one.

But you have to consider what they know about her. Don't look at her as some ineffectual politician. You're dealing with a Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Her having a chit chat with a guard could easily evolve into her convincing him to free her, all while he believes he's acting for the greater good of the Romulan People.

A PADD with actual computer access is a recipe for disaster. We don't know what kind of training she's received. Was she Tal Shiar? Some other special ops? They know what she's capable of. For all we know, a PADD with computer access in her hand could allow her to exploit a programming code common to Romulan computer software and take over the prison. Or she could send a message to a loyalist telling them to come spring her.

Pen and Paper? She could use the pen for a weapon and the paper to set a fire.

If anything, their behavior does betray one thing. They are scared of her. Considering her track record they may have a right to be. They think they're dealing with the Romulan Joseph Stalin.

Hope? She's a Romulan. In the Spock and Worf vein. She has the need to prove herself more Romulan than Romulan. She should know full well about the need for revenge that is bearing down on her.

The thing is she's thinking of herself as an asset since she's the only one that knows what she knows and how valuable it is. But she's trying to control the situation because Sela's ego is all about being in charge.

If she actually wanted to help, then she'd give them a morsel. A tidbit. Enough to show that what she knows is legit, valuable, and intel that they have to have. THEN clam up until they treat her better.

But if she never says anything or she's tried and executed without saying a word, nobody is any worse off than if we'd never found her in that prison.

That said, you're correct torture is useless, especially against a Romulan or Cardassian who is so experienced in torture.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    thetanine wrote: »
    When they're given RP, they want to return the RP. I think is something they secretly, actually, desire, when they say: "I wish the game were more Trek."

Am I right? Or, am I right? ;)

Uhm.....what?!? :confused:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Similarly, when I write the Cardassian Union in my fanfic, even though they are Fed-allied and subject to Fed-imposed treaty restrictions, they still execute for a variety of serious crimes ranging from murder to mutiny to r*pe to child abuse. The Federation finds this barbaric even though the new Union conducts real trials now where the criminal actually has a right to a defense, but the Cardassians fundamentally do not accept the restorative/rehabilitative model of criminal justice and continue to believe that you must harshly punish such crimes and ensure that a) the guilty of capital crimes can NEVER do it again, not even a tiny risk, and b) an example is made out of them to warn others that if they do the same, they too will die for it.

Heh, this actually sounds pretty similar to my own views on capital punishment. I do strongly believe in criminal rehabilitation, and believe that's the only way to truly prevent recidivism for minor crimes, but also strongly believe that there are some crimes, and some criminals, that are beyond rehabilitation, and agree with capital punishment in those situations, for the reasons you listed.

But I'm breaking my policy of not discussing politics, religion, social issues, or the Great Pumpkin amongst strangers....
    umaeko wrote: »
    I'm very pro-Republic, and yet I look at this and just end up disappointed. I was really hoping Sela's trial would be an opportunity to generate more assets on New Romulus, namely a Senate chamber where people might have assembled to interrogate Sela and get answers out of her regarding the Iconians and their servitor races.

To help justify the poor interrogation proceedings, I'm of the belief that, again, anyone more competent amongst the Republic probably would have caused Sela physical or mental harm at this point. As people keep saying, Obisek comes to mind...

Despite my earlier ramblings, I do think the Republic is still handling her with kid gloves, even if we're not being as "accommodating" as some in Starfleet would have us be, specifically because we don't want D'tan or Starfleet finding out and having conniptions.

And I'm afraid you're gonna have to keep dreaming about Cryptic ever designing more assets for New Romulus. Heck, we're lucky that Sela has a stronger connection with the Republic than with Starfleet, or like the KDF, we'd probably be getting a reduced role in the story, period.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"