Install Arc
Options

Debriefing Session 28

Comments

• Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    captaind3 wrote: »

That would be a JAG tree. Make it a secondary under Diplomacy.

How would that even work? It doesn't increase DPS nor does it reduce FAW/TS cooldowns.

A quick sketch... Perhaps under a Diplomatic tree one could use a power to call allied ships. As you unlock more tiers, you can summon different ships or more powerful ones. It'd be similar to the fleet-map resources but they would work on any map, period.

An enhanced Diplo Immunity -- Not sure how this would work with the walls down. Maybe eliminate certain transwarp costs or cooldowns.

Maybe the ability to "turn" enemies fighting you -- click it, and they change allegiance. LONG TRIBBLE cooldown on this. Call it 'lets be friends'

JAG/Lawyer powers...

Tie Up In Red Tape: This would prevent summoning of ships, security teams and other units

What My Client Really Meant -- allow you to go back and change dialog choices if it becomes clear you clicked the wrong one.

And the ultimate Diplomatic power would be "Weapons Test Ban Treaty" Clicking this allows you to disable all of a certain type of weapon for 15 min on any given PvE map. Don't like Polaron spam? CLICK. Tired of plasma torps? CLICK.

:D
  • Options
    ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I will concede the point with regards to Tovan Khev, eater of Boff slots. Bad D'Tan!
    He was a Terrorist, leading a terrorist group. It was also stated in DS9 that his liitle band of terrorists where more or less no longer an issue. Further films make no mention of his so called movement.

And then the Romulan homeworld goes byebye, the Romulan government suffers significant instability, and viola, his Underground Movement is convincing enough to gain sufficient support and recognition. The Romulan Star Empire may consider him a terrorist, the Federation and Klingons consider him a state actor. Thus, he is not a terrorist leading a terrorist group.

To the victors goes the justice, I guess.
    -Snip bad politics-

As far as it being "defunct"... Not hardly. The RSE is was great power with many many advanced planets and colonies spread over much of the Beta Q.

In STO, it's not. The RSE expended a lot of its forces in a failed attack on Vulcan, and then in subsequent actions against the Reman Resistance. In both the Federation and Romulan story arcs in game, we see many colony worlds joining the Republic - and destroying the Imperial Romulan fleet.
    The Fauxpublic is one pissant planet with few if any resources. It only exists due to being propped up by the Federation. They can barely feed anyone let alone build fleets of Star Ships.

Nah, the Republic is doing fine. They have nice buildings, shipyards, and a growing economy. I wish New Romulus would be updated to reflect this, but...well, I understand why not.
    The Leadership of the Empire has been in flux since Shinzon but we are more than capable of weathering the loss of Hakeev and the 1/2 breed.

True, now that the "Romulan Star Empire" has basically become servitors to the Iconians, finding someone to run the Empire won't be difficult!

Few Romulans are going to give up 2000 years of culture to join a aging terrorist Vulcan lover on a backward, undeveloped planet in Klingon space when there are major Romulan planets thru out the Beta Q.

Many Romulan colonies joined the Republic. Sela then sent Elachi to murder the unaligned colonies, or kidnap their populace to experiment with Borg technology. Since most people generally prefer not being turned into lab experiments, I can see why the Republic would have more appeal.
  • Options
    lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why isn't D'Tan on trial??????

He is a known terrorist and murderer. We can also tack on treason and espionage.

We should demand his immediate extradiction to Rator to stand trial, First Witness would be Major Rakel. Oh wait... she's dead. D'Tan had her killed.

Lets compare Sela and D'Tan:

Murdurer: Sela
    Terrorist: technichlly neither but not D'Tan
    Tyrant: Sela
    Use of biological weapons: Sela
    Egotist: Sela
    Turner-over of inoccent civilians to farm screwed-up mushroom people: Sela
    Traitor: neither really
    Psycopath: Sela
    Diplomat: D'Tan
    Smarter person: D'Tan

I think the Empire surrendered to the Republic and Rator is now a Republic state

While I dont think reunification with the Vulcans is the best idea, my loyalty to D'Tan is unbreakable. And a alliance with the Federation and the Empire helped the Romulan people much leaving not a stein on their reputation as Romulans.

Answering your other post, Mol'Rhian is in fact well placed. For assorted minerals im sure the Remans have resetteled Crataris and are turning out ore for factories on Mol'Rhian, it is not in Klingon space and I think Starbase 234 should be moved or abandoned because its in ROMULAN space. I know you support the broken, bent, hoarded, thrown-down, damned Star Empire that tries desperately to uphold their collective ego at the price of their moral compass, but I will always serve the Republic and I will always defend the Mol'Rhian.
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    themarie wrote: »

What My Client Really Meant -- allow you to go back and change dialog choices if it becomes clear you clicked the wrong one.

...you, sir, have managed to come up with a killer app for the Lawyer Spec; my hat's off to you.

The only issue is that I would call the power "move to strike" versus "What my client really meant".

I could also see a lawyer skill tree containing a great deal of nasty placates and cooldown reducers/increasers.

Also, you would get EC if you get an injury or if you die - workers' comp!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    He was a Terrorist, leading a terrorist group. It was also stated in DS9 that his liitle band of terrorists where more or less no longer an issue. Further films make no mention of his so called movement.

And http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Rakal_(Major)

Do you really think the US would let Bill Ayers be prez.

As far as it being "defunct"... Not hardly. The RSE is was great power with many many advanced planets and colonies spread over much of the Beta Q.

The Fauxpublic is one pissant planet with few if any resources. It only exists due to being propped up by the Federation. They can barely feed anyone let alone build fleets of Star Ships.

The Leadership of the Empire has been in flux since Shinzon but we are more than capable of weathering the loss of Hakeev and the 1/2 breed.

Now that Sela is being held by the Federation - because the Fauxpublic IS the federation - its time for the Senate to elect a new Praetor.

Few Romulans are going to give up 2000 years of culture to join a aging terrorist Vulcan lover on a backward, undeveloped planet in Klingon space when there are major Romulan planets thru out the Beta Q.

Really if people are running around wearing torn up rags because they are too dumb to use a replicator, then the Fauxpublic deserves them.

The Republic has fought long and hard to be free and it consists of dozens of built-up colonies with a capital, it is quite capable of feeding its citizens and constructing its ships, the Empire and the Federation HELPED build it. Continue serving the monsters you call heros and defending a broken "Empire". We Are Romulan, You Can Fu*k Off.
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Where exactly did we go?

Your empire was absorbed by the Republic genius

• Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lessley00 wrote: »
    The Republic has fought long and hard to be free and it consists of dozens of built-up colonies with a capital, it is quite capable of feeding its citizens and constructing its ships, the Empire and the Federation HELPED build it. Continue serving the monsters you call heros and defending a broken "Empire". We Are Romulan, You Can Fu*k Off.

Y'all are just scarf wearing wannabee's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I was impressed with the previous discussion about criminal justice, how it pertains to the Sela situation, and Cryptic's portrayal of the Republic. This, however was none of those things. I have nothing to say to a mindless dev basher.

This amuses me so much. Are you on the menu today? (I smell trill).
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Y'all are just scarf wearing wannabee's

Some civilians may wear scarves, my crew and I wear actual Republic uniforms

P.S: Our argument between the dead Star Empire and the Republic should be moved to the Romulan gameplay thread, see you there!

• Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

The Romulan Republic's status as a legitimate independant political entity is absolutely no different than those on earth that came about through rebellion and revolution. Revolutionaries and Rebels throughout history have been referred to as terrorists by the state and carried out acts that by definition are acts of terrorism, and they were all certainly guilty of sedition and treason towards their government.

The RSE however is as mentioned a defunct political entity, and federation and klingon starships traverse romulan space with impunity now. There is no more Neutral Zone, no more recognized territorial claims of the RSE, the empire's rule has ended.

In fact the remnants of the empire are pretty much terrosits themselves, given their actions against their on people.
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    More of that ironic 'righteous indignation' I mentioned earlier?

This is the same republic that uses Thalaron weapons...on its flagship no less.

The same Republic that makes use of plasma flamethrowers.

That refuses to give anything resembling proper treatment to its prisoners of war. Summary execution of many prisoners, etc.

That allied with both sides of a quadrant-wide war, and then sent soldiers and ships to serve in a military capacity for both sides. killing members of both of their supposed allies

To boot, Romulans that ally with the KDF engage in piracy and slavery on Federation civilians.

Yet by authorial fiat the Republic is always faultless...

Same sketchy writing as to how the Republic can possibly be building new ship classes and expanding its reach into the Delta quadrant with only a handful of planets when they still have a refugee camp outside the front gate to their capital city. And while still being involved in a multifront war....and all within a year.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Some civilians may wear scarves, my crew and I wear actual Republic uniforms

P.S: Our argument between the dead Star Empire and the Republic should be moved to the Romulan gameplay thread, see you there!

I cant deal with Feds with pointy ears like yourself calling themselves Romulans.

KDF Roms should get to be real RSE Roms and leave the Fauxpublic nonsense to the Fed-loving nincompoops
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

The Romulan Republic's status as a legitimate independant political entity is absolutely no different than those on earth that came about through rebellion and revolution. Revolutionaries and Rebels throughout history have been referred to as terrorists by the state and carried out acts that by definition are acts of terrorism, and they were all certainly guilty of sedition and treason towards their government.

The RSE however is as mentioned a defunct political entity, and federation and klingon starships traverse romulan space with impunity now. There is no more Neutral Zone, no more recognized territorial claims of the RSE, the empire's rule has ended.

In fact the remnants of the empire are pretty much terrosits themselves, given their actions against their on people.

And at one time a small island called Taiwan was regarded as China while the "evil" communist country covering 1/2 a continant was just sweeped under the rug
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Same sketchy writing as to how the Republic can possibly be building new ship classes and expanding its reach into the Delta quadrant with only a handful of planets when they still have a refugee camp outside the front gate to their capital city. And while still being involved in a multifront war....and all within a year.

or why if so many planets joined them they wouldn't just make the capitol a planet that was already developed and had millions of people and factories and housing and space stations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    And at one time a small island called Taiwan was regarded as China while the "evil" communist country covering 1/2 a continant was just sweeped under the rug

And today, most countries recognize Beijing as the capital of China. Ruling territory and being a major economic power, like the Romulan Republic is, will make people regard it as a state. Particularly when, you know, it's not allying itself with a bunch of alien constructs that are trying to conquer the galaxy.

But because the Romulan Republic is a new state overcoming an authoritarian past, it has choices to make - I believe, quite strongly, that whatever the sins of the past the Republic should look to the Rule of Law going forward. Give Sela a fair trial, Jean Luc Picard as her defense counsel (1), and then let judgment be rendered.

Unless Sela wishes to cooperate and strike some sort of bargain...

(1) Odd question: Does Picard have a law degree? If so, that would make TNG make so much more sense.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    For me, the most amusing aspect is (going by the blog character shot) - they have Sela still wearing her 'Empress' uniform (IE no prison fatigues); and the interrogator is concerned about her turning a pen into a weapon - YET - the ornamental jewelry of he Empress uniform has some pretty dangerous (and I assume metal of some type) points and edges that could be 'weaponized' as well if Sela so chose.:eek::D;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I cant deal with Feds with pointy ears like yourself calling themselves Romulans.

KDF Roms should get to be real RSE Roms and leave the Fauxpublic nonsense to the Fed-loving nincompoops

:eek: how can you utter those words , just look at them so angry and brooding always fighting for some inane reason they lack the IQ to do anything more then grunt and fight one another.
    And ON TOP OF THAT!!...they dont even bath and smell terribly , tbh i think every romulan zoo should have a pair of klingons on exhibit :D
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    thay8472 wrote: »
    He supports the extremest Tovan Khev.
    Damn...I have to admit that is a high crime that D'Tan is guilty of. Though it's arguable that they've never met.

Have you ever had a seen or an instance where Tovan Khev and D'Tan were at the same place at the same time?

He may not know of the evil. Someone should do an expose'.
    themarie wrote: »
    How would that even work? It doesn't increase DPS nor does it reduce FAW/TS cooldowns.

A quick sketch... Perhaps under a Diplomatic tree one could use a power to call allied ships. As you unlock more tiers, you can summon different ships or more powerful ones. It'd be similar to the fleet-map resources but they would work on any map, period.

An enhanced Diplo Immunity -- Not sure how this would work with the walls down. Maybe eliminate certain transwarp costs or cooldowns.

Maybe the ability to "turn" enemies fighting you -- click it, and they change allegiance. LONG TRIBBLE cooldown on this. Call it 'lets be friends'

JAG/Lawyer powers...

Tie Up In Red Tape: This would prevent summoning of ships, security teams and other units

And the ultimate Diplomatic power would be "Weapons Test Ban Treaty" Clicking this allows you to disable all of a certain type of weapon for 15 min on any given PvE map. Don't like Polaron spam? CLICK. Tired of plasma torps? CLICK.

:D

Clearly it would have to come into play with a dialogue revamp.

ceekayzero wrote: »
    ...you, sir, have managed to come up with a killer app for the Lawyer Spec; my hat's off to you.

The only issue is that I would call the power "move to strike" versus "What my client really meant".

I could also see a lawyer skill tree containing a great deal of nasty placates and cooldown reducers/increasers.

Also, you would get EC if you get an injury or if you die - workers' comp!

Agreed.
    More of that ironic 'righteous indignation' I mentioned earlier?

This is the same republic that uses Thalaron weapons...on its flagship no less.

I'd call that gameplay and story segregation. You know people would've been pissed off if they weren't able to be a perfect Nemesis Warbird.
    The same Republic that makes use of plasma flamethrowers.
    If you're going to kill your opponent does it really matter how?
    That refuses to give anything resembling proper treatment to its prisoners of war. Summary execution of many prisoners, etc.
    Sela is still alive. Hakeev on the other hand was never taken prisoner.
    That allied with both sides of a quadrant-wide war, and then sent soldiers and ships to serve in a military capacity for both sides. killing members of both of their supposed allies
    That was weird. To the point that Romulan would be firing on Romulan.
    To boot, Romulans that ally with the KDF engage in piracy and slavery on Federation civilians.
    Which likewise aren't very Klingon to begin with overall. There's a difference between a conqueror and a pirate. It's very Orion though.
    Yet by authorial fiat the Republic is always faultless...

A case of telling and not showing. A Romulan spacedock needs to be shown, the next First Contact/Republic day should be a christening ceremony for the Romulan equivalent of Utopia Planitia.

That said, assuming that they captured or converted more Romulan ships than they destroyed and that more of the Imperial military defected than went along with the Tal Shiar (remember the Tal Shiar and the military HATE each other) the Republic has several advantages. A fairly large fleet with a fairly small territory, which would allow them to project power and participate in the Delta Alliance without weakening their defenses at home. They're also helped by the fact that with the Klingons and Federation allied and all focused on the same goal, they don't have to do much defending.

And today, most countries recognize Beijing as the capital of China. Ruling territory and being a major economic power, like the Romulan Republic is, will make people regard it as a state. Particularly when, you know, it's not allying itself with a bunch of alien constructs that are trying to conquer the galaxy.
    Precisely, which is why people still do business with both Beijing and Taiwan.

People shouldn't look at the Romulan Star Empire like China though.

It's the Western Roman Empire after the goths sacked Rome.
    But because the Romulan Republic is a new state overcoming an authoritarian past, it has choices to make - I believe, quite strongly, that whatever the sins of the past the Republic should look to the Rule of Law going forward. Give Sela a fair trial, Jean Luc Picard as her defense counsel (1), and then let judgment be rendered.

She wants to cooperate, otherwise she never would've said anything. She just doesn't want to cooperate for free.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Heck, if Reman Prisoners can secretly construct a base and the most powerful warship the alpha quadrant has ever seen, then I don't see why it should be a problem for the Romulan Republic to build an entire fleet of ships. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Heck, if Reman Prisoners can secretly construct a base and the most powerful warship the alpha quadrant has ever seen, then I don't see why it should be a problem for the Romulan Republic to build an entire fleet of ships. :rolleyes:

This facts of yours.....:eek: ITS A FAAAAAAAAAKE!!!! :D
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    yudhistiro wrote: »
    well, Let Me Know If Real Power Wants A Magazine Or Something

^^^this^^^
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    And it was mind-numbingly stupid when it happened in Nemesis...so probably not the best comparison.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    And it was mind-numbingly stupid when it happened in Nemesis...so probably not the best comparison.

Irrelevant, it still happened, it's canon..
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited March 2015

I would recommend against using terminology such as "Rule of Law" when no one actually knows what Romulan (Republic) Rule of Law is. Also, if she is being held as a military prisoner, one would assert that military laws (as we can pull from Earth history) are even less gracious to a persons living conditions, especially someone as dangerous as Sela is portrayed. I would expect solitary confinement and the degree of lost freedoms that she is complaining about regarding her captivity. The equivalent of a military tribunal would be appropriate for ser situation as well.

Also, I keep hearing the term "fair trial." Each society has its own belief of what fair is, and they rarely are equitable. I seriously doubt the trial would be like seen on Law and Order, Perry Mason, and such.

Albeit, if Data (Pa Wheeler) was to make an appearance discussing his poor, West Virginia, family's latest tradgedy, it would be somewhat like Night Court :)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    yudhistiro wrote: »
    Well, let me know if real power wants a magazine or something

Well played. That was ringing in my head since I read the story yesterday. Also "Why do I get the impression the she is the only one that wants to be here?"
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I would recommend against using terminology such as "Rule of Law" when no one actually knows what Romulan (Republic) Rule of Law is.

Well, the way it is presented in the blog, where the writers live, and what I know of Star Trek, it's probably relatively similar to what we have in the US. Just with none of these pesky Rules of Evidence or Criminal Procedure. I'm less concerned with the nuances of Romulan Republican law and more that they actually put some thought to it, and stick with it. I'd also really like some form of due process, the right to an attorney, and a speedy trial. The blog indicates that Sela should be getting all of those - and that Sela is being singled out and NOT given those things in an effort to cooperate.
    Also, if she is being held as a military prisoner, one would assert that military laws (as we can pull from Earth history) are even less gracious to a persons living conditions, especially someone as dangerous as Sela is portrayed. I would expect solitary confinement and the degree of lost freedoms that she is complaining about regarding her captivity. The equivalent of a military tribunal would be appropriate for ser situation as well.

I agree with everything except the last bit. I think a civilian trial would be equally appropriate, but I would not press the issue so long as Sela's due process rights (as a Federation citizen would define them) are not violated.
    Also, I keep hearing the term "fair trial." Each society has its own belief of what fair is, and they rarely are equitable. I seriously doubt the trial would be like seen on Law and Order, Perry Mason, and such.

Nah, as myself and others have noted, Sela wants a plea bargain. Which is why Sela needs an attorney - so they can make the idiot interrogator realize that Sela is trying to plea bargain, she's just being kind of a jerk about how she goes about doing it.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Well, the way it is presented in the blog, where the writers live, and what I know of Star Trek, it's probably relatively similar to what we have in the US. Just with none of these pesky Rules of Evidence or Criminal Procedure. I'm less concerned with the nuances of Romulan Republican law and more that they actually put some thought to it, and stick with it. I'd also really like some form of due process, the right to an attorney, and a speedy trial. The blog indicates that Sela should be getting all of those - and that Sela is being singled out and NOT given those things in an effort to cooperate.

I agree with everything except the last bit. I think a civilian trial would be equally appropriate, but I would not press the issue so long as Sela's due process rights (as a Federation citizen would define them) are not violated.

Nah, as myself and others have noted, Sela wants a plea bargain. Which is why Sela needs an attorney - so they can make the idiot interrogator realize that Sela is trying to plea bargain, she's just being kind of a jerk about how she goes about doing it.

I believe she is working for some sort of bargain too.

My whole thought on Romulan "Rule of Law" is that it is somewhat closer to Ancient Romes forms of law than that of Constitutional freedoms and "Natural Law". I think that much of the RR still uses RSE as a basis for their law and have worked it to be a little kindler and gentler and divorced from secret police state. Give it more time and influence from the Feds and it may go that way towards what we see as "Rule of Law".

As far as civilian trial goes, was military when she became empress and never divorced herself from the military, as per her commanding ships in battle. She, on a galactic scale used military assets to attack and aide others in the attack of civilian and military targets from multiple races and governments. A civilian trial wouldnt have enough latitude to deal with this level of crimes.
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    As far as civilian trial goes, was military when she became empress and never divorced herself from the military, as per her commanding ships in battle. She, on a galactic scale used military assets to attack and aide others in the attack of civilian and military targets from multiple races and governments. A civilian trial wouldnt have enough latitude to deal with this level of crimes.

Good point. This trial wouldn't be a regular old criminal trial, it would be a military tribunal like the Nuremburg trials.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Irrelevant, it still happened, it's canon..
    So was turning into a salamander if you go too fast. Threshold

So was Women not being allowed to be starfleet captains. Turnabout Intruder

So was Vulcans being able to survive without a brain. Spock's Brain

I could go on.

Star Trek has had plenty of stupid moments. The best way to deal with them is to not repeat them.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I recall when James T. Kirk was brought to trial, it was obviously a show trial.
    General Chang,
    Star Trek VI the Undiscovered Country:

Under article 184 of your Interstellar
    Law, I'm placing you under arrest.
    Your charge is assassinating the
    Chancellor of the High Council.

While it appears that the trial was modeled - not too seriously - upon Federation law, the Klingons didn't permit Kirk or McCoy access to a Federation lawyer. Instead they appointed them a public defender in the form of Colonel Worf. Any attempt to interfere was clearly indicated to be an act of war by Chancellor Azetbur. Thus insuring the show trial.

Sela isn't a Federation citizen. Though I'm sure there is an intelligence file somewhere with regard to her temporal origin. Sela is the Daughter of captured Starfleet officer. Be that alternate timeline or not, I could see the Federation taking direct interest in how she is being treated. As the Romulan Republic has a loose allegiance with the Federation - as well as being part of the broader Delta Alliance - I can't see the Republic having solid ground to reject a Federation Ambassador's request for clarification.

Of course, if that Ambassador is Sugihara, Sela is screwed. As Sugihara would put his foot in his mouth. :P
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)