test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Give us a KDF only -Kazon story arc that is concurrent with Delta Rising

davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Klingon Discussion
It was nice to see Jal Karen (Aron Eisenburg's character, NOT Nog) appear in the mission "Alliances", now as First Maje of the Ogla. As a continuation of the events in that mission, I would like to see Maje Karden bring the Ogla into the Empire's sphere of influence. In particular, it could be very compelling for Klingons and Nausicaans to get involved in the strife between the Kazon sects.

The introductory mission could involve the KDF player character being sent by Maje Karden to the very same Ogla training grounds that Karden earned his Jal name.

Further missions could focus on directly confronting Maje Sessen and the Nistrim. Some could even focus on turning other sects towards to alliance (such as subsuming the Oglamar into the Ogla sect) or otherwise elimintating them outright (such as the Halik).

I suspect that the Pommar would be favorable towards the Federation whereas the Relora would be more apt towards Romulans and the Republic. That would leave the Hobii, Monstral, Halik, and Vistik (Novel: Mosaic) in addition to any others the Devs decide to create.

Nominally, the end result of this arc would be to bring the majority of the Kazon under the leadership of the Ogla, who themselves would be vassals of the Empire.
Post edited by davidwford on

Comments

• icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    for awhile i thought khazon would make good cannon fodder troops but they really are just dumb. so hopefully with the halfbreed cardassian leader in the fold if we ever get a cardasian fraction they can be part of their playable s
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    patrickngo wrote: »
    WE do NOT need our own version of Talaxians!!

We already have Talaxians. And all Talaxians are not Neelix, they're physically very strong and resilient.
    Playing my first Klink through DR now and the missions are all more or less copy and paste from the fed side with occasional text changes. Very disappointing and totally immersion breaking. No point in doing anything other than clicking buttons to finish the mission, Cryptic why no love for the other factions? I love my Fed toons to death but what's the point in having other factions if you cannot or will not write specific story content for them?

That is underwhelming, if not dissapointing. :( Frankly I just don't understand Cryptic's treatment of factions and what their problem is. No wonder metrics will show you that less people are playing KDF or RR when the factions are not treated as such even in the story content which, as you said, is immersion breaking and makes people enjoy and play the faction less due to encountering contradictory and unnatural situations.
    Well if you're not going to write it I will, back to the foundry it seems, that is when it's fixed.

I had a similar thought some time ago - that we should get foundry authors to organize and cooperate for creating some authentic and cohesive KDF storylines that would keep KDF players engaged and immersed in the nature of the faction as they should, since obviously the official conent will be a light digest for any faction that is not Federation.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I would only accept a Kazon story arc if it involved genocide.
    The weak must perish. All that precious biomatter is wasted on them.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,467 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Anything involving the Kazon doesn't sound the least bit appealing to be honest.

Maybe the next expansion can include the Klingon colony in the DQ and shed some light on the krenim.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • cadenphoenixcadenphoenix Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I for one agree that the Kazon could fit into the KDF. Within the many sects of the Kazon their could be a sect that would be beneficial to them. a different sect could align its self with the different factions and blend well.

As for the lack of love for any race not Federation. I agree that Cryptic should separate the factions as they were supposed to do in the first place. Now the galaxy is at peace with the Fed and the KDF. What is that? Its like the Horde and the Alliance joining forces in WoW. and the Romulans are a proud race and are only aligning themselves with the Fed and KDF out of necessity.

Talaxians should have only been a Federation race. There are planty of choices in the Delta Quadrant that would make fine additions to the Klingon Empire (not saying the Kazon at the moment). The Hirogen is one.
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That is a very good idea. In fact I want Kazon Boffs and a Kazon playable species.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Seriously-these guys were fighting over Water. Two Hydrogens and an Oxygen. They managed to kill themselves with an idiot-proof device...by being idiots.

Even the Borg don't want them.

Talaxians are annoying, but Kazon are outright stupid. It would diminish the Empire to take them in. Let the Federation have them-they belong together.

Yes the fall of the Klingon Empire would be absorbing ppl who fight over water and manage to kill themselves with something a toddler knows how to use.

Is just like with this talaxian playable lol. I've been around long enough that it has to be a hell of a damn good race to make me want another alt which with these grinds I am not even going to bother with it. But yeah we don't need any fights over water in the empire... Bloodwine is fine but just water I say no way.
  • mrgardenermrgardener Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    That is a very good idea. In fact I want Kazon Boffs and a Kazon playable species.

I am sorry to say not going to happen while feddy bears get everthing...they will get them dont you worry sir but none for kdf and roms..
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Seriously-these guys were fighting over Water. Two Hydrogens and an Oxygen. They managed to kill themselves with an idiot-proof device...by being idiots.

Even the Borg don't want them.

Talaxians are annoying, but Kazon are outright stupid. It would diminish the Empire to take them in. Let the Federation have them-they belong together.

If the Federation can handle Pakled Science Officers...

In all seriousness, remember the backstory for the Kazon. Sure, they are ignorant and unsophisticated... but they were capable enough to win their freedom from the Trabe. They would be an excellent candidate for uplifting, since their true weakness is their lack of knowledge more than anything else. In many ways, even their Sect warfare can be seen mirrored by the House warfare (political and otherwise) within the Empire, which could be channeled into an outlet for their infighting. Give the Kazon the knowledge and culture of the Empire and you could actually end up with a solid ally. Remember, this is the Klingon Empire... the Klingons lead the Empire, the vassal species serve in whatever manner benefits us as a whole.

If we put forth an offer to join the Empire as a vassal species to one of the mid-size Sects, then divide and integrate individuals within our Academy, I believe we could educate and acculturate the Kazon into the Empire. The key would be ensuring that they were shown the parallels within their own culture and the advantages of joining with us. Full vassal status would be advisable, much like the Gorn, Letheans, Nausicaans, and Orions; this would help ensure loyalty rather than incite rebellion. Care should be taken in distinguishing between our allied Orions and the Orion Syndicate, however, if we wish to avoid conflict amongst our vassals.

We should, however, select a Sect small enough to know weakness and large enough to know strength. Choosing a Sect too large has the obvious risk of training and equipping a large number of Kazon with unknown loyalites, while too small of a Sect would risk giving strength to those with no knowledge of how to use it. In addition, to integrate the Kazon into the Empire, it is imperative that they remain a minority within the ranks of the KDF for at least a generation. While the Empire does not strive to homogenize societies in the manner of the Federation, the Kazon desperately need the culture and knowledge of the Empire to meet their full potential... and the Empire does not need a vassal species that cannot benefit us as a whole.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    We really don't need the morons that can't figure out where they can get water in the Empire.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If the Federation can handle Pakled Science Officers...
    Somebody brought that up in Ten Forward. As with him, I remind you of the canon for the Pakleds: they only seem stupid. They talk funny because their language centers are underdeveloped but they're as clever as any human.

The Kazon fight wars over one of the most common substances in the universe, that being water. They're factually complete frakking morons.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • isvarnaisvarna Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    The weak must perish. All that precious biomatter is wasted on them.

Kindly repeat those last two sentences. And someone get me a Lethean.
    ↓ ↓ This is why we can't have nice things. ↓ ↓
    edited November 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Somebody brought that up in Ten Forward. As with him, I remind you of the canon for the Pakleds: they only seem stupid. They talk funny because their language centers are underdeveloped but they're as clever as any human.

The Kazon fight wars over one of the most common substances in the universe, that being water. They're factually complete frakking morons.

See, you forgive the Pakled their ignorance but not the Kazon... why? Ignorance or a lack of sophistication in one or more aspects of a society does not mean that an individual, culture, or species would be incapable of either given the necessary education. Are you suggesting that Europeans should have been incapable of learning to make or use gunpowder because the Chinese invented it, or that the Chinese should have been incapable of using the internet because the basic design stems from an American networking project? History has shown that neither of those possibilities held true, with both cultures adapting to skillful use of the other's technology once they understood it. Not knowing of something or how something works does not preclude the ability to learn of something or understand how it works.

Nothing in the way the Kazon were portrayed indicates that they are inherently stupid, merely uneducated and unsophisticated. These are former slaves that have acquired the technology of their oppressors, without education in the underlying theory or science behind that technology, and with significant gaps in what they have available. In particular, transporter and replicator technology are completely unavailable... meaning that any supplies used on Kazon vessels had to have been carried onboard as cargo, using shuttles if the larger vessel was incapable of landing. This would naturally create conflict over resource hubs and critical locations necessary to supply trade routes... look at Russia's recent acquisition of the Crimea region in order to secure naval access. No Kazon ever had the convenience of uttering the phrase, "Tea, Earl Grey, hot."

While the Federation might be prohibited from uplifting a species technologically or culturally, thanks to the Prime Directive, the Klingon Empire is not. So long as the Kazon have the potential to benefit the Empire, without becoming a threat to its stability, there is nothing that would prevent selective inclusion of one or more Kazon Sects.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Wow. What is with all of this hate? One of the enduring complaints about Klingon Gameplay is the lack of PvE storyline material. This is but one easy way to address that complaint. Here is my challenge to those of you who reject my proposal: OFFER UP YOUR OWN SOLUTION! It is easy to complain and tear down another person's ideas. It is hard to come up with your own fix. I welcome CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, i.e. suggestions where efforts could be better spent or improvements to make an idea better. Those of you who choose to be a Negative Nancy and complain, complain, complain without any better ideas to offer up will be quickly ignored by most people.

See, you forgive the Pakled their ignorance but not the Kazon... why? Ignorance or a lack of sophistication in one or more aspects of a society does not mean that an individual, culture, or species would be incapable of either given the necessary education. Are you suggesting that Europeans should have been incapable of learning to make or use gunpowder because the Chinese invented it, or that the Chinese should have been incapable of using the internet because the basic design stems from an American networking project? History has shown that neither of those possibilities held true, with both cultures adapting to skillful use of the other's technology once they understood it. Not knowing of something or how something works does not preclude the ability to learn of something or understand how it works.

Nothing in the way the Kazon were portrayed indicates that they are inherently stupid, merely uneducated and unsophisticated. These are former slaves that have acquired the technology of their oppressors, without education in the underlying theory or science behind that technology, and with significant gaps in what they have available. In particular, transporter and replicator technology are completely unavailable... meaning that any supplies used on Kazon vessels had to have been carried onboard as cargo, using shuttles if the larger vessel was incapable of landing. This would naturally create conflict over resource hubs and critical locations necessary to supply trade routes... look at Russia's recent acquisition of the Crimea region in order to secure naval access. No Kazon ever had the convenience of uttering the phrase, "Tea, Earl Grey, hot."

While the Federation might be prohibited from uplifting a species technologically or culturally, thanks to the Prime Directive, the Klingon Empire is not. So long as the Kazon have the potential to benefit the Empire, without becoming a threat to its stability, there is nothing that would prevent selective inclusion of one or more Kazon Sects.

Thank you! To further add on, all of this talk about how stupid the Kazon supposedly are.....sounds suspiciously like the same arguments racial purists in the 1920-1930s both in the US and in Europe. The claims of Kazon stupidity are almost word for word the exact same critizism of East Asians during that time (and blacks during the US Civil War).

The Trabe used the Kazon as a slave race. Anyone with even basic knowledge of how the horrific institution of slavery knows that the slave owners did not even teach those they held in bondage to read. Why? because people who can read can educate and empower themselves. Educated and empowered people are at best difficult to control. It would not surprise me if the Kazon were likewise illiterate for the same reason. As to how an illiterate person could fly a ship? Illiterate people could sail around the world with basic knowledge of navigation: the Sun rises in the East and sets in the West, and Polaris, the pole star is always North. Neither of these facts require one to be able to read. One can operate heavy equipment once they are shown how to do so. You will notice that in some jobs in the US(grill cook in fast food for example), one does not need to even have good English speaking ability to perform their job.

And by that same explanation, the Kazon may actually be playing up the "dumb blonde" sterotype so that people foolishly underestimate their capabilities, just like the Pakled. The Kazon, however take a different track. They play up the dumb fighter so that people are not expecting them to use a complex and unorthodox strategy.

To further build on breadandcircus's comments, in "Basics Part 1" (VOY), the Kazon very effectively carried out a traditional Cardassian tactical plan. Granted, it was Seska who showed them how to perform it, but the fact that they could actually carry it out shows that they are not as dumb as people think they are. Further, one could even make the case that Seska purposely implemented something Janeway and Chakotay would expect with a contingency plan in place for when Voyager turned to fight. Granted, again, Seska's planning, but it was the Kazon of the Nistrim Sect who carried out her complex battle plans.
  • dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited November 2014
    Kazon Boff and playable species for KDF ? :)

Personally for KDF I would prefer Bentham or Vaadwaur .
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
    edited November 2014
    davidwford wrote: »
    Wow. What is with all of this hate? One of the enduring complaints about Klingon Gameplay is the lack of PvE storyline material. This is but one easy way to address that complaint. Here is my challenge to those of you who reject my proposal: OFFER UP YOUR OWN SOLUTION! It is easy to complain and tear down another person's ideas. It is hard to come up with your own fix. I welcome CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, i.e. suggestions where efforts could be better spent or improvements to make an idea better. Those of you who choose to be a Negative Nancy and complain, complain, complain without any better ideas to offer up will be quickly ignored by most people.

Plenty of people have offered up better proposals for PVE content for the KDF over the years, it has all fell on deaf ears. Doing something with the Letheans for one is a better idea, they are already part of the KDF and the Empire and are a complete blank slate beyond they have some mind form of telepathy.

Also the Kazon have demonstrated they are stupid, they can't figure out that they can just fly to another place near them with their starships that can travel faster than the speed of light to get more water.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think its a good idea on the OP's part and I'd support seeing it into the game. The whole conquering then uplifting of the Kazon would make for an interesting KDF arc.
    edited November 2014
    How about exploring some of the existing Imperial member races that don't require handholding every step of the way?
    Thank you! To further add on, all of this talk about how stupid the Kazon supposedly are.....sounds suspiciously like the same arguments racial purists in the 1920-1930s both in the US and in Europe. The claims of Kazon stupidity are almost word for word the exact same critizism of East Asians during that time (and blacks during the US Civil War).
    Wow. Godwin's Law. That didn't take long. :rolleyes:
    The Trabe used the Kazon as a slave race. Anyone with even basic knowledge of how the horrific institution of slavery knows that the slave owners did not even teach those they held in bondage to read. Why? because people who can read can educate and empower themselves. Educated and empowered people are at best difficult to control. It would not surprise me if the Kazon were likewise illiterate for the same reason. As to how an illiterate person could fly a ship? Illiterate people could sail around the world with basic knowledge of navigation: the Sun rises in the East and sets in the West, and Polaris, the pole star is always North. Neither of these facts require one to be able to read. One can operate heavy equipment once they are shown how to do so. You will notice that in some jobs in the US(grill cook in fast food for example), one does not need to even have good English speaking ability to perform their job.
    Give me a break. There is a colossal difference between navigating in two dimensions on an ocean and navigating in three in space, especially at faster than light speeds. Are you seriously suggesting that an illiterate species can operate a computer, let alone build one?
    And by that same explanation, the Kazon may actually be playing up the "dumb blonde" sterotype so that people foolishly underestimate their capabilities, just like the Pakled. The Kazon, however take a different track. They play up the dumb fighter so that people are not expecting them to use a complex and unorthodox strategy.
    Fighting wars over one of the most common and easiest-to-manufacture molecules in existence, hello? Two hydrogens and an oxygen, hello? The Kazon canonically don't understand basic chemistry, or the fact that you can mine it from asteroids, melt it, and purify it. The Klingon Empire has no use for a race that objectively stupid.
    To further build on breadandcircus's comments, in "Basics Part 1" (VOY), the Kazon very effectively carried out a traditional Cardassian tactical plan. Granted, it was Seska who showed them how to perform it, but the fact that they could actually carry it out shows that they are not as dumb as people think they are. Further, one could even make the case that Seska purposely implemented something Janeway and Chakotay would expect with a contingency plan in place for when Voyager turned to fight. Granted, again, Seska's planning, but it was the Kazon of the Nistrim Sect who carried out her complex battle plans.
    The fact that they needed a Cardassian holding their hands to fly in formation and execute a basic pincer movement says absolutely nothing favorable about their intelligence. Seska did all the planning and strategy that whole time. The Kazon can follow orders and use brute force. That is the sum total of their military skill.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited November 2014
    Im surprised the Kazon didn't get lost on the way to attack Voyager and wind up attacking the Borg or Undine.
    edited November 2014
    Wow. Godwin's Law. That didn't take long. :rolleyes:
    Godwin's law

Godwin's law (or Godwin's Rule of TRIBBLE Analogies) is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving TRIBBLE or Hitler approaches 1"—​ that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism.

Promulgated by American attorney and author Mike Godwin in 1990, Godwin's Law originally referred, specifically, to Usenet newsgroup discussions. It is now applied to any threaded online discussion, such as Internet forums, chat rooms and blog comment threads, as well as to speeches, articles and other rhetoric.

In 2012, "Godwin's Law" became an entry in the third edition of the Oxford English Dictionary.

Corollaries and usage

There are many corollaries to Godwin's law, some considered more canonical (by being adopted by Godwin himself) than others. For example, there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the TRIBBLE has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress.[8] This principle is itself frequently referred to as Godwin's law. It is considered poor form to raise such a comparison arbitrarily with the motive of ending the thread.

Godwin's law applies especially to inappropriate, inordinate, or hyperbolic comparisons of other situations (or one's opponent) with TRIBBLE – often referred to as "playing the Hitler card". The law and its corollaries would not apply to discussions covering known mainstays of TRIBBLE Germany such as genocide, eugenics, or racial superiority, nor, more debatably, to a discussion of other totalitarian regimes or ideologies[citation needed], if that was the explicit topic of conversation, because a TRIBBLE comparison in those circumstances may be appropriate, in effect committing the fallacist's fallacy. Whether it applies to humorous use or references to oneself is open to interpretation, because this would not be a fallacious attack against a debate opponent.

Although falling foul of Godwin's law tends to cause the individual making the comparison to lose his argument or credibility, Godwin's law itself can be abused as a distraction, diversion or even as censorship, fallaciously miscasting an opponent's argument as hyperbole when the comparisons made by the argument are actually appropriate. Similar criticisms of the "law" (or "at least the distorted version which purports to prohibit all comparisons to German crimes") have been made by Glenn Greenwald.

History

Godwin has stated that he introduced Godwin's law in 1990 as an experiment in memetics.

Godwin's law does not claim to articulate a fallacy; it is instead framed as a memetic tool to reduce the incidence of inappropriate hyperbolic comparisons. "Although deliberately framed as if it were a law of nature or of mathematics, its purpose has always been rhetorical and pedagogical: I wanted folks who glibly compared someone else to Hitler or to TRIBBLE to think a bit harder about the Holocaust", Godwin has written.

Of course, that all brings to mind one question: Does mentioning Godwin's Law by extension fulfill Godwin's Law? Especially when the reference being purported to fulfill to Godwin's Law relates to views about East Asians or African Americans, and the topic at hand is in fact a discussion of supposed racial superiority, it appears that calling "Godwin's Law" does more to fulfill it than the post being referenced. Hmmm...
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    edited November 2014
    Of course, that all brings to mind one question: Does mentioning Godwin's Law by extension fulfill Godwin's Law? Especially when the reference being purported to fulfill to Godwin's Law relates to views about East Asians or African Americans, and the topic at hand is in fact a discussion of supposed racial superiority, it appears that calling "Godwin's Law" does more to fulfill it than the post being referenced. Hmmm...

I was using the term more generally than that. He compared the people with a factual basis for considering the Kazon to be collectively stupid-as-frak to historical racists. The TRIBBLE were racist to an extreme. Hence, Godwin.

Stretching things, I'll grant, but I didn't feel like being more explicit than that.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I vote the KDF find where the Kazon come from and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    The weak must perish.

I concur. Exactly what would the Kazon bring to the Empire anyway? Nothing but bad hair and even worse standards of hygiene.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited November 2014
    sander233 wrote: »
    I concur. Exactly what would the Kazon bring to the Empire anyway? Nothing but bad hair and even worse standards of hygiene.

@honorless_leHengan: Amen to that one, Ssharki. First City smells bad enough as it is. Public sanitation: heard of it?
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited November 2014
    I was using the term more generally than that. He compared the people with a factual basis for considering the Kazon to be collectively stupid-as-frak to historical racists. The TRIBBLE were racist to an extreme. Hence, Godwin.

Stretching things, I'll grant, but I didn't feel like being more explicit than that.

Okay, fair enough. I'd hope that the post you referenced was not intended to call anyone racist, however, merely to point out the conceptual basis for the Kazon. They were supposedly intended to represent street gangs of the time, which indicates that they should be more a case of lost potential rather than outright stupidity. The manner in which they were portrayed leaves much to be desired on that front, sadly, as the writers weren't really all that big on complexity for much of Voyager's time onscreen.

Honestly, if the Klingon Empire can turn Talaxians into Warriors, we can do anything. Even uplifting the Kazon. :P
    Ym9x9Ji.png
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Honestly, if the Klingon Empire can turn Talaxians into Warriors, we can do anything. Even uplifting the Kazon. :P

We could, but why would we want to? Altruism is Federation's game. Leave them to it.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Fighting wars over one of the most common and easiest-to-manufacture molecules in existence, hello? Two hydrogens and an oxygen, hello? The Kazon canonically don't understand basic chemistry, or the fact that you can mine it from asteroids, melt it, and purify it. The Klingon Empire has no use for a race that objectively stupid.
    Not to mention, the Kazon were beaten by Talaxians.

TALAXIANS.

A species so utterly and completely incompetent that their MOST COMPETENT MEMBER (Neelix) once nearly disabled an entire freaking ship with a small piece of cheese.

That's like being beaten by the Teletubbies in an MMA fight.
    The fact that they needed a Cardassian holding their hands to fly in formation and execute a basic pincer movement says absolutely nothing favorable about their intelligence. Seska did all the planning and strategy that whole time. The Kazon can follow orders and use brute force. That is the sum total of their military skill.
    That's not military skill, and they can't even follow orders reliably. Plus their brute force ain't all that much.

What the Kazon can do, to paraphrase Dalek Sec, is die better than other species. Kazon are very good at dying in warp core breaches. Not much else.
    Well, they'd be good food for the targs...but you'd have to put'em through a power wash first. Can't have sick targs, after all...
    edited November 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    That's like being beaten by the Teletubbies in an MMA fight.

That may be one of my favorite similes ever.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    We could, but why would we want to? Altruism is Federation's game. Leave them to it.

To give them a piece of their own medicine perhaps? :P
    The Federation in STO is doing everything they can to turn themselves into a Klingon Empire, they shoot everything on sight, lead military campaigns into a region of space nowhere near the Federation, build cloakng ships, break treaties at their whim.....they're even becomming the worse variation of imperialists - commitng genocide and spewing pure imperialst propaganda.
    So maybe the Empire wants to play their game and start uplifting species and behave alturistic. :D STO is messed up that way.

Anyway, by now this thread is turning into pure BS thanks to some people and unfortunately for the OP. I really do wonder what was going through some people's heads while hey watched Star Trek.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,467 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Okay, fair enough. I'd hope that the post you referenced was not intended to call anyone racist, however, merely to point out the conceptual basis for the Kazon. They were supposedly intended to represent street gangs of the time, which indicates that they should be more a case of lost potential rather than outright stupidity. The manner in which they were portrayed leaves much to be desired on that front, sadly, as the writers weren't really all that big on complexity for much of Voyager's time onscreen.

Perhaps the kazon are smart enough for tribble extermination duty..
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.