What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Give us a KDF only -Kazon story arc that is concurrent with Delta Rising

12346»

Comments

• worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    davidwford wrote: »
    As I recall, Neelix said EVERYONE in that particular sector required water, and that water was particularly scarce IN THE ENTIRE SECTOR. Granted that is within only a few light years span, but when you lack replicator tech, it becomes the diamond-water paradox.

http://education-portal.com/academy/lesson/diamond-water-paradox-in-economics-definition-examples.html#lesson
    http://www.amosweb.com/cgi-bin/awb_nav.pl?s=wpd&c=dsp&k=diamond-water+paradox
    http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/library/chart-graph/water-diamond-paradox

So? Warp ships can move across light-years in what, a couple of days?

Plus the Kazon used the same excuse for attacking across thousands of light-years of space.

On top of that, even if liquid water were scarce, it is stupidly easy to synthesize even with 20th-century tech.

The Kazon are STILL absurdly stupid. And not worth anyone's time except as target practice.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »

Plus the Kazon used the same excuse for attacking across thousands of light-years of space.

On top of that, even if liquid water were scarce, it is stupidly easy to synthesize even with 20th-century tech.

The Kazon are STILL absurdly stupid. And not worth anyone's time except as target practice.

Well in all fairness with that canon info you do have to remember they were basically mere slaves to the trabe so their culture is very young too. Pretty much I doubt the trabe were teaching them about things the academy teaches or pretty much only thing to do manual labor. So really they are just like a younger version of the Klingon empire its just they started out doing the same thing pretty much. Its just that the Klingon Empire has had many many centuries to bring themselves to what they are now.

However I could see them having some of the reoccurring cardassian role characters like Garak doing VO's where we could take him to his mothers home planet and see a second dominion war over it lol with the cryptic verse style added in "insert iconian masterminds who will then be revealed and then another group is added to the alliance".
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Warp 6 (TNG/DS9/VOY/STO Scale) is just over one light year per day, warp 9 is just over 4 light years per day.

Essentially, you cannot blame distance for lack of water for warp capable species.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,912 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    I would only accept a Kazon story arc if it involved genocide.
    The weak must perish. All that precious biomatter is wasted on them.

He's a SHAPESHIFTER GET HIM!!!
    sig.jpg
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    He's a SHAPESHIFTER GET HIM!!!

LOL!!! Your right! He's a trike(tripod undine terrorist)!
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    IMO the Kazon seem like a more natural fit for the KDF than some of the existing KDF species like the Trill, Orions & Gorn.
  • chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    IMO the Kazon seem like a more natural fit for the KDF than some of the existing KDF species like the Trill, Orions & Gorn.

Well, if the KDF would take anyone, they would take Vaadwaur.
    1. This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 54 seconds.

2. This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 35 seconds.

3. This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 18 seconds.

4. This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 3 seconds.
    ~Megamind@Sobekeus
    edited November 2014

The Kazon really aren't a fit for Klingons. Maybe in plenty of centuries for them to become a bit less terrible, but right now they should be given to the Feds.

Trill - Cryptic wanted Trill Fed only, but had to make them KDF as well because of legal stuff.

Orions - Alliance of mutual benefit.

Gorn - You question the value of these reptiles?
    edited November 2014

Trill were because legal stuff or something.

Orions are reasonably intelligent, ruthless, sneaky, and vicious. A good counterpoint to the Klingon warrior badassdom.

The Gorn are strong. Really, really strong. And dangerously smart on top of that. They gave the Klinks a good fight during the battle for Gornar, and Slathis won an honor duel against Jm'pok (or at least gave a really good showing). That is more than enough to earn the Klingons' respect.

Nausicaans and Letheans add more canny muscle and useful telepaths, respectively, both assets to the empire.

Ferasans add more telepaths--again, asset.

The Kazon? No military skill, no combat ability, ridiculously backwards society, repeated and canonical idiocy, no noticeable skills or potential for improvement as anything but cannon fodder.

And the Klingons aren't really the sort to use canon fodder. If you earn a Klingon's respect to the point he lets you fight by his side, he's not going to use you as cheap bait for the enemy.

So yeah. Let the Feds have the Kazon, they deserve 'em.
    edited November 2014

The Kazon? No military skill, no combat ability, ridiculously backwards society, repeated and canonical idiocy, no noticeable skills or potential for improvement as anything but cannon fodder.

And the Klingons aren't really the sort to use canon fodder. If you earn a Klingon's respect to the point he lets you fight by his side, he's not going to use you as cheap bait for the enemy.

And even if we did use Kazon as cannon fodder, we wouldn't as they couldn't even do that successfully.
  • fisheye1fisheye1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    I haven't even looked at their portrayal in STO yet because my computer was getting its hard drive replaced when DR dropped and I spent the next week either working full-time or getting all my software put back together from backup..

Is that why you've been absent from TS lately? I was wondering if you'd been in a coma or something. Can you go on TS on Friday, maybe?
    edited November 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    And even if we did use Kazon as cannon fodder, we wouldn't as they couldn't even do that successfully.

Yeah, cannon fodder is basically cheap light tanks...the Kazon are cheap, but they aren't light and they can't tank for sh*t.
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, cannon fodder is basically cheap light tanks...the Kazon are cheap, but they aren't light and they can't tank for sh*t.

Pretty much.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    The Kazon really aren't a fit for Klingons. Maybe in plenty of centuries for them to become a bit less terrible, but right now they should be given to the Feds.

Trill - Cryptic wanted Trill Fed only, but had to make them KDF as well because of legal stuff.

Orions - Alliance of mutual benefit.

Gorn - You question the value of these reptiles?

The Federation doesn't want the smelly, idiotic TRIBBLE with Giorgio Tsoukalos hairdos and odd notions on how to run prisons.

About the only thing they would be good for is live fire exercises for first year Academy cadets in training shuttles.

Let them stay in their own little ****hole of space.
  • oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    STO dev's once said on a podcast that years ago that they've consider adding talaxians and ocompans to the Feds and add the Kanzons for the KDF as playable races when the game expands into the Delta Quadrant... i guess those ideas are scrapped except for the Talaxians part.

As for the Kazons being allies to the Klingon Empire, i don't see that happening due to the Kazons being mostly xenophobic and territorial... same could be said of the Klingons which is not true since they're more open minded when it comes to intergalatic species relations.

If anyone would be the best fit for allying with the Klingon Empire it would be the Vaadwuar... both are militaristic and both have their codes of honor but one thing they don't have in common from my impression on VOY that the Vaadwuar are more a backstabbing type of race while the Klingons are more upfront... and back to the Vaadwuar being backstabbers, which is understandable due to Janeways refusal to give weapons to the Vaadwuar to protect themselfs from one of the spcies that was trying to exterminate them hundreds of years ago and return to finish the job. Also we have to keep in mind that the Vaadwuar in terms of technolgy were alot more inferior to the Kazons.

Last note on the Vaadwuar... If the Klingon Empire and the Federation were still at war a unique KDF storyline would be nice where the Klingon Empire supporting the Vaadwuar to help it stop Federation influences and expansion into the delta quadrant.

Now on the part of the Kazons being completely incompetent... i think that false. When Voyager first arrived on the Delta quardrant it's been incited by many races that Voyager is the most powerful ship in that region of space which indacates that many species in that area along with the Kazons are technoglically inferior including the Talaxians, Haakonians, etc. also i will point out that the Kazons were united as one when they overthrown and defeated the more technogically advanced Trabes which fled from whats used to be their own space afterwards... and with the Kazons toke many of their ships and weapons for their own needs, also if the Kazons were technogically incompented, how are they able to manned & piloit the Trabe ships they've captured? obvisously it takes spacefaring knowledge to fly them.

Last note on the Kazons in DR... i think the Kazons should have a Genghis Khan storyline to it, where all the Kazons sects united once again this time under the Kazon-Nistrim to make a united Kazon Empire lead by Jul Culluh amd then by his and Seska Son... over 30 years have past since the Voyager encounter which is alot of time to improve their technolgy for them to prepare for a future potential enemy that have the technolgy thats comparable to Voyager, if not made due to their lack of own inventions but rather from salvaging, copying or stealing technolgy from other races to improve their ships which they're atleast good at that. i think a Kazon Empire would have been a potentially be a good Non-Iconian align NPC enemy faction looking to expand their territories... even though they will be in technolgy terms still inferior to KDF, Fed and Roms but their numbers would make up for that in game terms.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    STO only caters for the whims of one faction and developer.
  • hawks3052hawks3052 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Adding Kazon arc would be nice. Bringing the kazon predator vessel into the game would be great as well.

Problem is tha tCryptic can only develop ONE faction and it is very clear for a logn time that the Federation will get 90 % of the good stuff.

The Devs put KDF on the slow road to die out a long time ago, and it works :(
  • odinfishodinfish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I can do without the Kazons and I especially do not want them to be part of my beloved KDF. However, I'm sure there are tens of players that are enjoying their Talaxian toons... Devs on crack again. :rolleyes:
  • shinkojiro00shinkojiro00 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Not just a more klingon empire specific story arc, how about some of these updates they've been doing since delta rising include something for klingons and klingon allied romulans. All ive seen is new starfleet ships, new starfleet ship bridges, new story arc with nothing but starfleet involved, and now a club that only starfleet people can even enter.

I cant wait for the ceasefire to end.
  • hssoldierhssoldier Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    I had a similar thought some time ago - that we should get foundry authors to organize and cooperate for creating some authentic and cohesive KDF storylines that would keep KDF players engaged and immersed in the nature of the faction as they should, since obviously the official conent will be a light digest for any faction that is not Federation.

A collaboration with Foundry Authors would definitely be great. It would be like your the actual dev's of the game but aren't so racist towards anyone in the Klingon Empire. I think that would be awesome to have.
  • revor86revor86 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The Kazon do seem to be similar to the klingons or the Hirogen.
  • darthkuribohdarthkuriboh Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Actually, the Vaadwaur are more similar to the Klingons than the Kazon are. The Kazon are inept and stupid. I'd rather see playable Vaadwaur for the Empire, and see the Empire and Vaadwaur become allies. The Vaadwaur without Gaul are warriors with honor, much like Klingons.
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 829 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The best allies from the Delta Quadrant?
    For FED: Talaxians- space gypsies and clowns fit perfect to Federation
    Benthans- because self-appointed Fed policemans can not be everywhere
    For KDF: Vaadwaur- warriors and conquerors
    Hazari - quality guns for hire
    For RR: the Hierarchy- cloak and dagger, same as good old romulans
    Devore- they look like romulan offshoot from DQ

And Kazon? no , maybe for Mad Max
    Hirogen? degenerated hunters, no
    Krenim? no, they do not have a time
    Malon? nobody likes their stinking ships (even Malon system in cardassian space :)
    Quarrans? work for everyone sounds good, if the Iconians refer them as the no.1 threat of shame we not get in a delta rising, instead Kobal zone we should get Quarran work zone where we should grinding from morning to evening for minimal reward :)
    The Swarm? they are hidden somewhere
    Viidians vs Kobali vs So'na? still not enough organ donors