What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gear Upgrade System

Comments

• Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I like this but how is it in game do I use R&D or do I use the upgrade like we use kit modules?
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    belanna58belanna58 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jaturnley wrote: »
    Good luck with that. They are ALL like that now, even the ones you pay to play. The fact that SWTOR, Cryptic, and Turbine's models have all managed to make more money than subscription games have pushed every other game out there to follow suit. It's all about making money.

i find it amusing that there are so many dumbasses out there with more dollaz than sense an happily throw their money at cryptic not realising that the more they throw their money at craptic the more craptic will evolve the game around these morons
  • Options
    gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    belanna58 wrote: »
    i find it amusing that there are so many dumbasses out there with more dollaz than sense an happily throw their money at cryptic not realising that the more they throw their money at craptic the more craptic will evolve the game around these morons

Hahahahahaha! Omg! Too true. Thank you! You have made my day. The sad thing is, I was one of those people. But that's not relevant. So forget I said anything :)
    signature.png
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Cant wait to upgrade the Phaser BeamPistol - Standard Issue that you can get from the Replicator.

Its the most accurate phaser pistol we have when it comes to size and looks.

I always wanted to have a Handheld Phaser without the holographic stuff in a reasonable size. Currently the higher the MK the bigger the pistol is. :D

So if I read this blog correct it should be possible to upgrade anything.

I'm hoping this is true as well. I don't want a tron phaser anymore :P
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    astro2244 wrote: »
    I'm hoping this is true as well. I don't want a tron phaser anymore :P
    From the Tribble thread currently gathering feedback...
    malkarris wrote: »
    So, I don't have a max level crafter to find this out, but here's a question I am very curious about. If I get a Mark II phaser pistol, and upgrade it all the way to Mark XIV, doe the game visual model change as I go up the levels, or at Mark XIV does it still look like a Mark II pistol? In other words, can I finally have end game level gear that looks something like the old TNG stuff with no glowy bits?
    Good question! Let us test this!

We'll start with a Mk I Phaser Full Auto Rifle.

After 1 application of a [Improved Ground Gear Tech Upgrade] (5000 TP) it has enough overflow TP to upgrade it all the way to Mk VII and it picked up 1 Uncommon [modifier] along the way!

And the answer is... the model changes. It now has the Mk VII model with the glowy bits instead of the Mk I model. Sorry Charlie, this just ain't your day. :(
    ...it would appear that you are stuck with your glowey bits, strange as that answer sounds now that I type it out. Hrm.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    gorrbagggorrbagg Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    antzudan wrote: »
    "with The Upgrade System, You Can Take Any Gear That Has A Mark And Improve It. If You Have A Favorite Weapon From A Mission, But It’s Not Up To The Quality That You Need, Or If You Have An Old Version Of Gear That Isn’t Up To The Best Mark That Your Character Can Use, You Can Now Make That Gear Better."

Shut Up And Take My Money.

Only Wish I Hadn't Got Rid Of So Much Gear In The Past I Liked For Not Being Good Enough...

Yup Yup Yup
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As part of the new level increase in Delta Rising, we’re bringing up the Mark of the gear available in Star Trek Online. Your captain will now be able to use Mark 13 and 14 gear, and the best part is, you’ll be able to do this by upgrading your existing gear to make it better. Read more about it in our developer blog by Systems Designer Jesse Heinig.

Check it out here!

~LaughingTrendy

That reads interesting. And IMO a far more sensible, actually good, way of including crafting compared to what I feared.
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    From the Tribble thread currently gathering feedback... ...it would appear that you are stuck with your glowey bits, strange as that answer sounds now that I type it out. Hrm.

*read in Darth Vaders voice*

Noooooooooooo!!!!!
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    astro2244 wrote: »
    *read in Darth Vaders voice*

Noooooooooooo!!!!!

Agree; would have been a cool way to get rid of this oversized holostuff.
  • Options
    gorrbagggorrbagg Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    cadfael71 wrote: »
    From a new players perspective I've been holding off getting much gear (rep, fleet, etc) but it almost sounds like I should so I can have it to go through this upgrade process. Am I thinking anything close to right in this regard?
    Personally if I were you I would preplan exactly what you want and then focus on getting exactly that wether it be all fllet or rep or a mix of various sets mission rewards, etc. Nopoint in gettiing stuff you'l never use especially stuff with related Dili cost. But yes you should definately start any reps you need for gear you want and grind away my friend there are so many possibilities with this upgrade system!
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hey does the dil cost of these upgrades get reduced by a Fleet Dil Mine?
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Each time you apply a Tech Upgrade, your item gains tech points. When the item earns enough tech points, it is eligible to upgrade.
    So you basically copied Neverwinter's Refinement system. Ok...

Not really looking forward to this. On NW it literally takes ages to get something past blue quality (except if you spend a **** ton of money).
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    starshipserenitystarshipserenity Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    To my ears,

Music.
    Through breaking waves and vicious storms /
    Against lightning's fury and thunder's scorn /
    Only through fire is order forged /
    WIth vibrant glory /
    A sword
    =/\=

I.S.S. Excalibur NCC-1664
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's not a question of "does not become a huge Dil sink or a C Store scam to buy the needed Acellerators to get the job done", it already HAS become. Reports from Tribble are quoting 200k+ Dilithium for some upgrades. I'm sorry, I will NEVER pay 200k Dilithium to upgrade an item I originally paid 34k Dil for,...

NOT. GOING. TO. HAPPEN. EVER.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    to upgrade from mk xii to mk xii cost me 8 improved beam weapon tech upgrade (rare), to make 1 cost 10 minutes or pay, when its mk xiii you need to run a upgrade project thats over 10 hour (or pay).
    So 1 beam array from mk xii to xiii takes +/-11.5 hours and 11.400 dil (if you don't pay dilitium for time reduction).
    From mk xiii to ivx i only got to 63% and then had spend 170.000 dilitium...(on 1 beam array)
    Don't think i will uprade much !!
    This will save me money, wanted to buy some new ships and pvp with them, but if i'm stuck with mk xii i will stay at pve and then i realy don't need a tier 6 ship...
  • Options
    eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    onother way to change the game in pay a lot and/or grind a lot to play...

I know cryptic/pw isn't a non-profit organisation... but what make me disappointed is that they are only developping new ways to make us pay to play without developping no new real content except some new pve scenario you have to repeat "ad infinitum" to grind resources to gain an item and discovering you have to gring more to gain another item...

There is a very little to do in this game just for fun and not because you need to do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Wow, the blog was just like trying to read toaster instructions in Japanese.................cool. :cool:

But seriously, we can craft English muffins................with jam, right? RIGHT! :mad:

Based on the information given, counsumables will not be upgradable using this new system.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bones1970 wrote: »
    to upgrade from mk xii to mk xii cost me 8 improved beam weapon tech upgrade (rare), to make 1 cost 10 minutes or pay, when its mk xiii you need to run a upgrade project thats over 10 hour (or pay).
    So 1 beam array from mk xii to xiii takes +/-11.5 hours and 11.400 dil (if you don't pay dilitium for time reduction).
    From mk xiii to ivx i only got to 63% and then had spend 170.000 dilitium...(on 1 beam array)
    This will save me money, wanted to buy some new ships and pvp with them, but if i'm stuck with mk xii i will stay at pve and then i realy don't need a tier 6 ship...

I agree... I will not go mad about upgrading my gears if I will need so much resources. I will play with what I can get withount spending all of my time in grinding resources or paying a lot of money until I can... (I paid a LTS, I can pay for a new ship or item, I will not work just to pay for playing STO).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • Options
    tengufangirl1tengufangirl1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    belanna58 wrote: »

Dumbass (noun)

Someone who is willing to spend N hours "grinding" for "free" virtual currency and/or items in MMOs, as opposed to work N/k hours and obtain the same much faster.

But hey, if you hate me for going to restaurants instead of eating FREE FOOD from trash bins, who am I to stop you? Enjoy your meal, I guess... :confused:
  • Options
    dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited September 2014
    bones1970 wrote: »

If things remain as are now I won't either upgrade much in the following months.

To make it better they have to lower the cost of upgrading and make sure that an upgraded item will not ever get downgraded in process .(Upgrading a item to MK XIV and getting worse stats than before as a MK XII item is not acceptable in my logic.)
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • Options
    smaksvetasmaksveta Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    so the game requires you to have zen?

free to play-3 toons-24k dil a day

Time?Time needed to grind all that dil.I would rather pay TBH!
    Becouse there are lot of players that work and have family, kids and love Star trek in general, but don't have time for manic grind.
  • Options
    mistressbenihimemistressbenihime Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    imruined wrote: »
    Thank you for such constructive and specific feedback, you contributed much...

I wrote 3 to 4 topics containing a wall of text of why and how crafing is wrong and now there doing it again.
    so to recycle that again..... I am done whit it.

this extention does exactly the same things wrong as the original system. it's to random. it's a C-store cash-cow. it's pay2win. it's evrything wrong whit the new crafing system all over again.

some lucky TRIBBLE can upgrade in one go. while you are likely to waste 10 tries before getting the upgrade spending dilitium whit each try....

again come out the c-store catalist. essentualy if you throw enough money at the cash-cow you can pay2win.

I hate that system and if that is the way forward I don't even know if i want to continue playing. I've been a lifetime subcriber since the start, I've seen this game improve over the last 4,5 years to sudenly see it take a turn for the worst. I understand cryptic wants to make money this is just greedy...

EDIT:
    choose any there all long winded threads written by me about why the new crafting system is wrong and the principle applies to these upgrades as well...
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1179151
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1151931
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1158711
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1149921
    THE NEW CRAFTING SYSTEM IS TERRA-BAD
    First of all it's not even a crafting system! It's just a dumb game system that's nothing more than a glorified slots machine.
    second the "special items" you hope will be the saving the saving grace are messed up to.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Dumbass (noun)

Someone who is willing to spend N hours "grinding" for "free" virtual currency and/or items in MMOs, as opposed to work N/k hours and obtain the same much faster.

But hey, if you hate me for going to restaurants instead of eating FREE FOOD from trash bins, who am I to stop you? Enjoy your meal, I guess... :confused:

no
    i mean dumbasses, coz there r so many of them that do spen bucket loads on this piece of cr4p game

dats what i mean, by dumbasses, so many dont realise they been had
    they work long hours just to throw their money on this sh!te, or made to grind the same amount of hours that they would normally work to get same stuff, dumbasses
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    smaksveta wrote: »
    Time?Time needed to grind all that dil.I would rather pay TBH!
    Becouse there are lot of players that work and have family, kids and love Star trek in general, but don't have time for manic grind.

dats what they r hoping for, for people like u not having time to grind but will spend ur dollaz earned from working long hours straight into game.
    Either way, if u dont work, u can grind all day as if u were at work, or go to work, work long hours, get paid peanuts, come home, put hard earned peanuts into craptics vendor.
    this is a fuc***g game, not work
    craptic, jam it where sun dont shine
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    so far, only a handful of people like what they r doin

more than 10 handfuls hate everything they r doin, but goin full steam ahead anwayz

either they r making the game for dem selves an dont give 2 f***s what we think, or they want everyone to leave
    craptic did say a long time ago they do not want to do star trek online, if this is the case still, explains why they dont care about the plyrs
  • Options
    mistressbenihimemistressbenihime Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The problem with the P2W argument is that you dont actually need any of this to beat the game, so its not paying to win, as you can win without paying.

Just like you can win the game without ever touching crafting.

you realize that's just propaganda right. you can either slave forever and be subject random chance or just pay2win. you will soon see the schism occurring those that pay will be decked out whit all the good mk 14 gear while those that refuse have failed their 7th upgrade attempt on the first item and are saving up for their 8th try.

that creates the other problem those that pay2win have noting to play for soon and start whining about there being noting to do and the game being to easy...

so yea this pay2win is great for STO.

no-one touching crafting is of course a good thing for this game. the devs put in a lot of time to develop it and that will have gone to waste due to it badly executed. it's so sad, if they did it well it could have been a selling point for this game but now it's the thing that all players avoid.

this upgrade system make the exact same mistakes as the crafting system. you expect cryptic to learn from mistakes and listen to input from players on the forums but it seems they just don't.
    THE NEW CRAFTING SYSTEM IS TERRA-BAD
    First of all it's not even a crafting system! It's just a dumb game system that's nothing more than a glorified slots machine.
    second the "special items" you hope will be the saving the saving grace are messed up to.