Install Arc
Options

Gear Upgrade System

Comments

• Options
    gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    ^ Then buy them off the exchange. I'm gonna do that for some of them because I'm not leveled in all schools.

Beams, engineering, shields, ground weapons, I'll give you some blue ones once I have em made.

Phaser as the primary, then the Disruptor proc, then Acc x 2 and dmg x2. So that's five, then you can add two more, Ultra Rare and Gold.

Mother of God.

According to the wik the Jem body armor is [Energy Dampening Armor Mk XI [RegHPx3] [RegSH]]. The stats on the Mk XII are flat out ridiculous from +54 Kinetic Damage resistance, +54 All Energy Damage resistance, +1.1 Health Regeneration, +7.6 Shield Regeneration every 4 sec to +72.7 Kinetic Damage resistance, +72.7 All Energy Damage resistance, +2.2 Health Regeneration, +15.2 Shield Regeneration every 4 sec. The shield regen is doubled, the health regen is doubled, the kinetic and energy resistance increased to about 150%.

That sounds about right for everyone's favorite ankylosaurian super soldiers.

Yeah I noticed that. Looking at the Hangar Pets I think the main issue is, improving the current gear involves adding mods.

Hangar pets have no mods. With the experience star system of hangar pets there's the potential to turn annoying pets into G**^%mn Bats.

Which would mean grinding for EC. Still grinding. I appreciate the offer but I'm not the type to ask for other people to do stuff for me. Its just. We've worked hard to get what we have so we could actually start to have fun. But anytime "new content" is released, I find myself grinding more than having fun like we should.
    signature.png
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So since I refuse to get sucked into the R&D system and I refuse to pay the ridiculous ransoms that will inevitably plague the Exchange, will Mk XIII and Mk XIV gear be available through normal channels, fleet stores, rep etc,.. for normal amounts of resources, or will the only way to get them be through this abomination of a R&D/Technology points system?
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It would be a nice touch, guys, if upgrading fleet gear cost fleet credits instead of dil.
    That would be cool.
    By way of an example:

I took a Counter-Command Bio-Phaser Beam Array MK-XII (Purple) & upgraded it.

(12) Blue quality Beam Upgrades + 950dil each got it to 100% to upgrade and the the upgrade project took 10hr 40min (I just used dil & hit finish now to save time.)

That got me a Purple MK-XIII which I upgraded again - (16) Blue Upgrades + 950dil each & I lucked out & got a critical on the upgrade (2% chance o.o) and wound up with an Elite MK-XIV which added a [Dmg] .. that was another 10hr 40min project.

Tried a go at another upgrade but no luck but the beam array now has a base 3% chance to upgrade to Epic ... looks like it's adding about 1% to the base chance to upgrade the quality w/ each attempt.

Now this is just using the blue quality upgrade kits ... the purple kits & the 'Experimental' kits do say they have a higher chance to get the quality upgrade ... i just didn't have the vr components to make any to try out.

I see 10 hours.

So for beams it takes a 950 instead of the 1885 for a shield. Alright. That's 11400 to MkXIII then 15,200 for MkXIV beam.

So blue quality if purple quality cuts down maybe two projects. Hmm.

How do you acquire and apply research points?
    Which would mean grinding for EC. Still grinding.
    Can't help you there. Everything requires resources. Can't get anywhere without spending something.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i wonder will my old Omega rep Borg weapons be able to be upgraded as well?
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    edited September 2014
    corelogik wrote: »
    So since I refuse to get sucked into the R&D system and I refuse to pay the ridiculous ransoms that will inevitably plague the Exchange, will Mk XIII and Mk XIV gear be available through normal channels, fleet stores, rep etc,.. for normal amounts of resources, or will the only way to get them be through this abomination of a R&D/Technology points system?

Good question :)
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Don't know about that.

All I know is that some of the Missions in the Delta Quadrant will have Greater than MkXII drops. I saw a field generator at MkXIII Blue.

But it seems that ALL rep gear including the new Delta Alliance rep will be MkXII.
    donburrito wrote: »
    Yes but when you use the upgrade kits they have a chance to crit, which will give you 1.5 times the normal amount of Technology Points, therefore reducing the amount of kits you would need to get up to 85,120.

You mean reduce the amount of tech kits to get to 85,120? Is that the flat rate or does it vary by item type (I presume it's much lower for lower mark items.).
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    icsairguns wrote: »
    i wonder will my old Omega rep Borg weapons be able to be upgraded as well?

All rep gear and fleet gear is in. No word on melee though.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I've been mulling over the same thing, but partly from mixed messages in...
    jheinig wrote: »
    Levelless items will generally be upgradeable once you are level 50.
    flyingtarg wrote: »
    Many of the "level-less" items (The items that use the ∞ symbol) may not be upgradeable until level 60.
    ...the News and Tribble threads. They aren't necessarily contradictory, but if some levelless gear stops improving (convert to Mk XII) at level 50 and others stop improving at level 60 (convert to Mk XIV?) we're going to need a little more clarification as to which is which, and why, and (as you said) whether we can just buy Mk XIV outright.

Curiouser and curiouser! :D
    All rep gear and fleet gear is in. No word on melee though.
    Some melee weapons yes, some appear to be bugged, at least at this point on Tribble...
    trelane87 wrote: »
    Unable to upgrade my Nausicaan Tegolar Sword Mk XII [CritD]x3, Lirpas can be upgraded, Tsunkatse swords can, and the Tholian Sword from the Rep system work... checked a couple other Nausicaan swords and none of them can be upgraded either...
    ...though with it being a test server, it'll be a patch or two before we start to get a clearer picture, and of course they are welcoming reports of items that are not upgradable at this time...
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    gorrbagggorrbagg Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    I do have questions related to the more special kind of items, specially mission ones and lobi.

1) Does this mean the Jem'Hadar set will be taken off the lobi store?

2) For specialty sets like the Jem'hadar and the Breen set will the set bonuses improve like Anti-Proton sweep, or in the case of the Breen set, will you do changes to improve it if the quality improves? (I expect more than a 2 minute CD Energy Siphon 1 on a VR 3 piece set in the case of the Breen set. Because it's simply Energy Siphon 1 tied to a set, it's pretty underwhelming as a 3 piece bonus)

3) For weapons like the Dominion Polaron weapons, does this give a chance to get them to MK XIV and with an [Acc]x2 mod? (This would be very very awesome)

Amazing you asked pretty much exactly what I came here to ask/investigate! :D
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    That would be cool.

I see 10 hours.

So for beams it takes a 950 instead of the 1885 for a shield. Alright. That's 11400 to MkXIII then 15,200 for MkXIV beam.

So blue quality if purple quality cuts down maybe two projects. Hmm.

How do you acquire and apply research points?

Can't help you there. Everything requires resources. Can't get anywhere without spending something.

I am aware of this. However, I've done my bit for king and country. Its time that we be able to enjoy what we've paid/ground for instead of having to keep grinding to keep it relevant.
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    "Yo dawg, I've heard you like to grind, so we've put a grind in your grind so you can grind stuff while you grind stuff".

Oh ffs Cryptic... now even simple items are technically yet another leveling system? I've honestly lost count at this point... We have to level up our capitan, our T5U/T6 ships, the new specialization trees, our gear, numerous reputations, R&D system, Doff system, as well as the Fleet holdings... and I'm sure I've missed a few other things.

And of course most of these are either a dilithium-sink, or a time-sink (or both).

Why not just turn STO into a mobile game? There's more timers and paywalls than there is (re)playable content at this point.

Great news my friend YOU DON"T have to do any of that, for that matter you don't even have to play YAY for you.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    gorrbagg wrote: »
    Great news my friend YOU DON"T have to do any of that, for that matter you don't even have to play YAY for you.

But Cryptic/PWE don't want that. Or do they?
    signature.png
  • Options
    rickskynightrickskynight Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So this is what those superior upgrades are that I was getting as loot drops doing the missions on elite this past weekend on tribble.. I thought maybe they were just R&D related for crafting only and didnt give them a second glance. I'll log in later and see if I can use them.

Also the universal consoles on tribble are already showing as gold/epic, so no upgrading some or most of those.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So this is what those superior upgrades are that I was getting as loot drops doing the missions on elite this past weekend on tribble.. I thought maybe they were just R&D related for crafting only and didnt give them a second glance. I'll log in later and see if I can use them.

Also the universal consoles on tribble are already showing as gold/epic, so no upgrading some or most of those.

You can get the kits as drops?
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    ^I'm not sure if he's getting Upgrade Kits or Accelerators.
    You can pick up accelerators from crafting packs purchased from the C-Store or from certain special missions.
    I am aware of this. However, I've done my bit for king and country. Its time that we be able to enjoy what we've paid/ground for instead of having to keep grinding to keep it relevant.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

I understand the sentiment as I've only just recently gotten my ship outfitted in mostly MkXII gear.

But honestly. I'm more ticked off by the Very Rare Material and Component costs and rarity in crafting than I am about this. This at least has guaranteed steady progress.

I'm willing to put in the work to upgrade this gear.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I do have a question though. I have two type 2 fed phasers (ground weapons), one is mk 12 blue from a mission. The other is also blue, but leveless, it was part of an Amazon.com promotion back in the day. Will the leveless type 2 phaser be upgradable as well? On tribble Im level 60, and it already outdamages my mk 12, where as when I was level 50, my mk 12 outdamaged it.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    You can get the kits as drops?

Yeah I was playing on elite because elite is the fastest way to level (skill point wise), and they were dropping in space for me. I got 3 superior upgrades and about a dozen basic.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yeah I was playing on elite because elite is the fastest way to level (skill point wise), and they were dropping in space for me. I got 3 superior upgrades and about a dozen basic.

Accelerators or kits?
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    Sounds very promising. :)

Just wondering though, where will universal consoles fit in?

On tribble right now, all my universal consoles are already showing up as epic / gold.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Accelerators or kits?

Only the kits. Havent seen the accelerators yet.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Good to know. Maybe I wont need crafting after all. Isn't it nice how PWE kept that little tidbit out? But that brings up the issue of being able to run lvl 60 elite PvEs with a T5 ship and Mk xii vr or ur gear.
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Okay... here comes an accumulation from the Dev Tracker of the various posts relating to the Gear Upgrade System. Remember, if you want them in context to click the little red dots so you can better understand where each is coming from and what they are responding to... but yeah, from this thread (so you don't have to read 30 pages of replies) there is:
    Here are some answers to some of those question marks that are floating over your heads!

* Upgrading Item Mark is Always Successful

When your item gains enough Tech Points to upgrade to a higher Mark, this operation always succeeds. Your Mark 12 Breen shield will become a Mark 13 Breen shield with no failure chance. It's only when your item reaches maximum Mark and you are trying to improve its quality (color) that there is a chance that the upgrade won't succeed -- but even then, you keep your quality improvement chance and add to it for the next upgrade, and eventually you will reach a 100% chance of quality improvement.

* Item mods are not re-rolled

Your item's mods don't change as part of the upgrade, so if you like the mods on your Phaser Beam Array [Acc]x3, you won't lose them. You just have a chance to get a new, extra mod. You might turn your array into a Phaser Beam Array [Acc]x4, or Phaser Beam Array [Acc]x3 [Dmg], or Phaser Beam Array [Acc]x3 [CrtH].
    For most items, if you get a new mod, it is randomly selected. Set reputation gear does not get a random modifier; instead, the mod gained is always the same for a specific item. When you upgrade a MACO deflector to ultra-rare (ultraviolet) quality, for instance, it will always get one specific mod. That way you never have to worry about a random mod and having to grind out another piece of expensive rep gear and then upgrading it again -- once it improves in quality, you know that you have gained the one upgraded version.

* Epic (Gold) items have special bonus mods

The bonus mod for an item at Epic (Gold) quality is a unique special mod that doesn't otherwise appear, generally more powerful than other mods. These are:
    Space Shield: [Cp/Rg] Combined capacity/regen boost
    Space Impulse Engine: [Drv2] Overcharged driver coil, double coil bonus
    Space Deflector: [SS/SI] Interlaced integrity, structural integrity/shield systems combined bonus
    Space Weapon: [Ac/Dm]: Bonus accuracy/damage combo
    Ground Shield: [Cap2] Double capacity bonus
    Ground Armor: [ResAll/HP] Bonus HP and bonus resist all damage
    Ground Weapon: [Dm/CrH] Bonus damage and critical chance combo

* Your item can't accidentally out-level you

If you aren't a max level captain, you can't upgrade an item past the Mark that you can currently use. You don't need to worry about accidentally making a good piece of gear unusable.

* Making Tech Upgrades doesn't cost crafters dilithium

Tech Upgrades do not require dilithium to make; the dilithium cost is on use. This means that crafters don't have to worry about spending their dilithium to make Tech Upgrades for their friends and fleet, or for sale on the Exchange.

* Set Gear

As part of the upgrade system implementation, we've made set bonuses Mark-independent. This means that you can have Jem'Hadar shields Mk 10, deflector Mk 11, engines Mk 12, and still get the three-piece set bonus.

* Levelless items
    Many pieces of levelless gear will stop receiving bonuses at level 50. After this, you can upgrade the item and it will gain a Mark, and will then improve after this. This will allow your levelless gear to actually keep up with your other gear, since Mk 12 gear is actually above level 50 and Mk 14 is even better than that.

* Special Mission Rewards
    Almost everything you can get should be upgradeable. As noted in the blog, you can upgrade Breen set gear, caustic plasma beams, Hargh'peng torpedoes -- if you're on Tribble and you find something that you can't upgrade, post on the Tribble forum.
    As noted before, set upgrades will not break set bonuses. If you have a Mk 11 purple Jem'hadar engine and a Mk 13 ultraviolet Jem'hadar deflector, they will work together for the set bonus.

Levelless items will generally be upgradeable once you are level 50. Here is an example:

As a captain-rank character I purchase the refit escort for the levelless quad cannons. These scale up with me and as I gain levels they get better.
    Once I reach level 50, the levelless quad cannons stop improving. To improve them further, I can apply Tech Upgrades. As soon as I opt to upgrade the quad cannons at level 50, they convert from levelless items to Mk 12 items. (If I'm below level 50, they don't convert, because making them Mk 12 would make them unusable to me!) After that, I can apply Tech Upgrades to improve them to Mk 13, Mk 14, ultra-rare (ultraviolet), and eventually epic (gold) quality.

Lobi store weapons will follow this same sort of conversion. Since most lobi store levelless items are actually a little behind the power curve, going to Mk 12 is a significant improvement for them. The Ferengi energy whip will be a pretty mean weapon at Mk 14!

The conversion of a levelless item to Mk 12 at character level 50 is automatic and doesn't cost you anything -- no dilithium, no time, no money, not even a Tech Upgrade kit; just selecting "Upgrade Item" will make the conversion instantly. If you want the item to stay levelless (capped at 50), just don't select "Upgrade Item" and it won't be converted. After the item is converted it will take the usual Tech Upgrades to improve it further.

Upgrading converted gear uses the same Tech Upgrades and costs as any other gear. You do not need to spend extra lobi to upgrade your lobi store purchases.

A few items will not be upgradeable (such as the TR-116A -- hey, what's with the torches and pitchforks?!?). C-store ship consoles such as Saucer Separation do not need upgrades; they will be considered Epic (Gold) quality already, and since you already purchased the ship, you don't need to pay more for the console that came with it. C-store ship weapons can be upgraded, because they will see significant performance improvements. (Yes, you will also be able to upgrade Spiral Wave Disruptors, if you are a Galor-class ship owner.)

If you try to upgrade a specific mission reward item on Tribble and it does not allow you to upgrade, please post on the Tribble forums! When in doubt, I recommend copying your character to Tribble and trying to upgrade your favorite gear. If it doesn't work, please let us know. You should be able to use the gear that you like and upgrade it to be useful at high Marks
    Hey everyone,

We have added a note to the OP blog just to clarify for everyone that upgrading Fleet gear will work the same as regular & Reputation gear.

Make sure to check out the blog for specific verbiage and get your inventories ready for all the incoming awesomeness!

~CaptainSmirk
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    And next, here comes the listing of communication from the Tribble thread currently gathering feedback... if you have access, they are welcoming feedback on specific items that are and are not working, as well as those that are not working as expected. Remember, if you want them in context to click the little red dots so you can better understand where each is coming from and what they are responding to... and here comes the commentary from the Tribble thread:
    Please use this thread to post all feedback and bugs found in the new Upgrade System.

Upgrade System
    • The upgrade system allows you to upgrade your items on your ship and your crew.
    • Access the Upgrade System by choosing the option when right clicking on an item or, click the Upgrade button on the bottom left of the Inventory window.
    • For more information, please read the Upgrade System Blog at: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7005783
    • This system is not in a final state.
      • This includes some items which cannot be upgraded, text, and icons.
    Guys, this sort of feedback is absolutely invaluable with the quantity of items we have in the game. Some of these items are intentionally not upgradable, but the vast majority of them are bugs. Please keep these lists coming, we're making fixes for issues as soon as you can find them!
    Certain items cannot be upgraded currently, by design:

* TR-116A (preorder rifle)
    * Triolic pattern enhancer
    * All hangar pets
    * All kits and kit modules
    * Epic (Gold) quality starship consoles such as Saucer Separation, MVAM, or the Defiant's Cloaking Device -- note that this does NOT include starship weapons such as the Defiant's quad cannons
    flyingtarg wrote: »
    Many of the "level-less" items (The items that use the ∞ symbol) may not be upgradeable until level 60.

Other items that won't be upgradeable include "Starter" items, such as the Phaser pistol you get in the tutorial, and any Common quality weapons that come with ships (For example, a Mk X phaser array that comes by default on a Tier 5 ship). These items will never be upgradeable.

Pretty much everything else should be, so keep these reports coming, these are extremely useful to us.
    That would be the un-bound, sellable, tradeable Tech Upgrades that you can get from someone else's crafting or from the Exchange, then.

No R&D skill is required for your character to apply a Tech Upgrade to an item.
    So while the Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo Launcher definitely cannot be upgraded at the moment (at level 50), strangely enough Spiral Wave Disruptors can. Is there some sort of criteria as to which items are impacted by this rule?

I would think that if $$$ weapons like the Spirals can be upgraded immediately, then so should anything else people shelled our real cash for (WAQ, Lobi items, etc.)
    It's a bug, I'll be updating that shortly.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Well that's a welcome bonus.
    Good to know. Maybe I wont need crafting after all. Isn't it nice how PWE kept that little tidbit out? But that brings up the issue of being able to run lvl 60 elite PvEs with a T5 ship and Mk xii vr or ur gear.

Indeed. Again, they have little ability to anticipate the things that will anger the playerbase huh.

Things seem to be looking up for you.

That elite especially since Delta Rising elite is different, with the new Advanced Difficulty being added for Queue events.

That said the first time I ran an Elite queue I was still Mk XI everything with my Rear Admiral Assault Cruiser so that they can be completed without top level gear isn't really surprising.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    P.S. BFaW + the Aux2Bat BOff timer cooldown needs some serious nerfing. Cannons are supposed to be the most DPS against a single target (in payback for a minimal firing arc), yet an Aux2Batting BFaW spammer will outdamage pretty much anyone, on multiple targets at a time.

you just blew your own argument out of space.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Well that's a welcome bonus.

Indeed. Again, they have little ability to anticipate the things that will anger the playerbase huh.

Things seem to be looking up for you.

That elite especially since Delta Rising elite is different, with the new Advanced Difficulty being added for Queue events.

That said the first time I ran an Elite queue I was still Mk XI everything with my Rear Admiral Assault Cruiser so that they can be completed without top level gear isn't really surprising.

Maybe so. But I hope it wont be a case of needing top level gear. Otherwise that pretty much crushes my hopes.
    Dear devs, please allow us to obtain tech kits from elite pves and not make it practically madatory to need Mk XIV gear but instead Mk XIIs. Just like current stfs. Thank you
    signature.png
  • Options
    odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I like this idea, but that seems like it'll be a large amount of dilithium. 2k for about 15% of one upgrade and 4% of a quality upgrade chance? If we're planning on upgrading a ton of items (sets, mostly), that's going to cost quite a bit.

Trust me, I'm thankful for ANY upgrade system (I like my MACO sets!), but that seems like a pretty long grind.
  • Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I played around with it on Tribble, it's not so bad.....

enoemg wrote: »
    I like this idea, but that seems like it'll be a large amount of dilithium. 2k for about 15% of one upgrade and 4% of a quality upgrade chance? If we're planning on upgrading a ton of items (sets, mostly), that's going to cost quite a bit.

Trust me, I'm thankful for ANY upgrade system (I like my MACO sets!), but that seems like a pretty long grind.

All Hail Duramaster!!!
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Cmon, to some people even TOS isn't Trek. Try ignoring some people, it worked for me ;)

Without exploration there is no trek it just star
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm waiting to see how much this will cost the CSTORE packs... :confused: