test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tier 6 Ships Details

Comments

• cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Right, but that also holds true for what everyone's being paranoid about. If you're gonna think one thing might not be true, why not the rest of it? Hell, by the logic of not believing about what they say, why should we believe that we're getting an expansion at all, let alone tier 6 ships?

Cherry picking isn't a logical approach.

Simple. Pessimism is a good philosophy, you can only ever be pleasantly surprised or right.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So some new traits and ship abilities that advance as you level up - sounds quite good actually.
    It'll make your ship feel like it's properly part of your character as it "levels" with you to Lvl 60.

The extra console slot and increased hull etc was expected really, but as a result I want to see some nice new "Nightmare" level enemies to fight against where the extra power really means the difference between winning and being turned into space-dust. Poor old Borg in the STF's aren't gonna know what's hit them!

That Romulan ship just looks like every other Romulan one - yawn...

The Fed ship is...odd looking to say the least. I'm hoping they are at least have high levels of customization and don't come with some hideous hull paint-job like the Dyson ships did.
    SulMatuul.png
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Not sure I understand correctly.

Say, if I am already 60, and then I get a brand new Tier 6 ship. Do I have to play XP content again to level the ship up? :confused:
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited August 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    No, lol, I was thinking that. The new ships sound very cool but if upgraded ships can't at least get the Ship Mastery ability they will be left in the dust. Cool features on the new ships though.

Possibly. More likely they will be 'just enough' better than you will consider buying them.

T6 Ships

T6 Ship have Traits: Great idea, like this alot. The more you use a ship, the better you become.

Hybrid BOFF seating: wtfomg never saw this coming, and I like.

[redacted] BOFF seating: Very likely. It would not take an intelligence analyst to come up with that.

Scaling Hull: Nice idea, although having an issue in just how your hull gets better over time...

Ships have XP now: This is a great idea.

+1 console: Yup, now I have that spot I always needed for...
    tk79 wrote: »
    Not sure I understand correctly.

Say, if I am already 60, and then I get a brand new Tier 6 ship. Do I have to play XP content again to level the ship up? :confused:

Seems so.
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Because around here, bad news never lies.

"A lie can travel the world, while the truth is putting on it's shoes."

We don't need reassurances. We need details. We need specifics, not hype.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ragnar0x wrote: »
    So with this all new t6 abilities they are saying t5 ships are becoming obsolete. thx to know that.
    No they're not.
    Because around here, bad news never lies.
    Not necessarily. And one's idea of "bad" isn't necessarily another's idea of "bad".
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    Simple. Pessimism is a good philosophy, you can only ever be pleasantly surprised or right.
    Pessimism can only go so far before it turns irrational.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited August 2014
    - or -

You must tell a lie over and over, while the truth needs only be spoke once.

Evidence: Fox News.

*drops mike*
  • gralerongraleron Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I wanna know about the 3 pack ships like the Vesta what will happen with this ships .
    I expect they'll stay unchanged. The target for average revenue per user is likely on an upwards curve.
    Vice Admiral Elaron, USS Hard Light
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    At this point it look like "Captain Gekko Strikes again..." in that from what I read in the Blog today, while yes, I'm sure T5 shps will be usable in new and existing PvE content (Hell, I've had Guildmates do well enough in Tier 2 starships now with Mk XII weapons and their Level 50 abilities that said ships can get all the optionals and complete Elite Borg STFs); but the T5 ships that AREN'T in someway upgradeable to use the (new with Delta Rising) 'Starship Mastery' (and if I'm mis-ready and ALL ships get 'Starship Mastery' as the player levels past 50 then I apologize) WILL be obsolete, and not a good choice for any Level 60 player to fly.

Again, if I'm reading the Blog right; I DON'T feel 'covered' (per the Dev comments at the STLV 2014 panel) with regard to T5 ships atm.

So yeah, IMO with all the info currently available - Captain Geko strikes again in NOT UNDERSTANDING the people who play at max level in STO and their attachment to certain cannon 'hero' (ie Star Trek series 'hero' ship classes) ships and I really think that if their isn't a way to fully upgrade existing T5 ships (and Fleet ships) to FULL T6 status (including the special Boff slot) then Delta Rising will be a utter failure profit wise as Cryptic/PWE will see T5 CStore ship sales drop to a fraction of what they are currently for new players coming into the game - and the Fleet Starbase system will be abandoned by new Fleets as I'm sure existing T5 fleets will sell access to new player who what the new T6 Fleet ships (if they show up.)

Yes, I realize all the info isn't out - and if Cryptic proves me wrong as upcoming info is released, I'll apologize and eat my words, but I honestly don't think that will happen and many beloved T5 (and Fleet ships) will be obsolete with no available path to T6. There was a REASON DStahl felt T6 was a bad idea; and I'm sorry, but given many of the design decisions put forth by Captain Gelo in S8 and 8.5; I don't see T6 ships as a really positive step UNLESS ALL (read 100%) of T5 ships have an upgrade path to T6 in game (which can be monetized to a point too - I'm not saying it should be 100% free as Cryptic/PWE need an ROI.)

Like I said, if I'm wrong, I'll eat crow and apologize; but given the current view Cryptic has of the STO playerbase via it's lead designer Al "Captain Geko" Rivera, I doubt I'll be doing that.

Time will tell.

Edited to add:

After reading the T5 upgrade blog and list:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7002133-tier-5-starship-upgrades
    and
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7002163

respectively - Okay, I'll eat some crow as overall, it seems like the C-Store and Fleet ships across the board are covered.

The above said, I DO think the most recently released ships like the Odyssey Class, Avenger Class, the Dyson Sphere Science , the KDF Bortas and Mogh Class ships SHOULD be able to become FULL T6 ships with a ship trait, special Boff seat, etc. Reason: Honestly IN THE GAME LORE these are all the 'latest tech ships' from the various star nations, just released late 2409 - early 2410.

I mean: COME ON - THERE'S NO WAY THE NEW 1701-F ODYSSEY CLASS 'ENTERPRISE'WOULD NOT BE A FULL T6 SHIP WITH ALL THAT ENTAILS.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well, PvP doesn't matter, its only 14 year old min-maxers.

Yeah exactly. Still waiting for that apology...
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    edit: Heh, never mind - it's funny, imho - but it's way off topic for the thread.
    edited August 2014
    - or -

You must tell a lie over and over, while the truth needs only be spoke once.

Evidence: Fox News.

*drops mike*
    Fox News has nothing to do with Cryptic, nor does one example apply to the other thing. You've made no correlation between the two.

Pick that mic back up. ;)
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jjdez wrote: »

Lol, he's insulted the PvE folks far worse than the PvP folks...it's kind of trippy listening to some of the things he's said about the playerbase.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    So not all of the T6 ships will have these special bridge officer seats. Got it.

Except that they do. :confused:

My guess is that this will be the major sticking point between "true" T6 and "upgraded" T6. Meaning, all ships will have access to the bare bones stuff (more hit points, extra console slot, etc.) but not this new BOFF... by "the letter of the law" of the game (and the devs), all ships (new or upgraded) will be considered T6 on paper.

I do agree with the rest of your post, however... reading between the lines isn't helping the unrest. Good info, but still too many questions. And this could be solved so easily. :cool:
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Scaling Hull: Nice idea, although having an issue in just how your hull gets better over time...
    Makes sense to me. During the new Iraq War, as troops gained experience with their Humvees, they improved the hull.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maxxinamaxxina Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My guess is that this will be the major sticking point between "true" T6 and "upgraded" T6. Meaning, all ships will have access to the bare bones stuff (more hit points, extra console slot, etc.) but not this new BOFF.

THEY ALREADY SAID THAT . NEW BOFF JUST T6 SHIPS
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I also like how the major hot button issue is the extremely obvious point of contention in regards to T5/T5.5 ships and their competitive nature with T6 ships.

But PWE/Cryptic is still really not willing to cool off that rhetoric and is still willing to shoot themselves in the foot by having their ship sales suffer as people are afraid of whether or not they'll be obsolete.

That whole "We will take care of you." thing was a nice gesture, but I'm not going to insult your company's intelligence by suggesting you simply aren't aware of the fact the most important dev blogs to publish first are those that address the immediate concerns of the playerbase.

Otherwise you're intentionally pissing off the playerbase just because you can.

I'm beginning to wonder are they basically now holding back on that info as they know it will not be well received and induce a mass meltdown across the playerbase? I don't know if that will really achieve anything. IF they are going to basically make all existing ships very outdated compared to the awesome T6 ships, they might as well just get it out the way in the hopes the anger it will generate will cool by October.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Still not news. Need to know about how much my current ships are obsoleted by..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Okay, here's the difference. And it's an important one. They do things players don't like when they plan on doing those things. But when they don't seem like they're planning on doing things we don't like, we get reassurance, rather than them eventually changing their minds.

If they never intended to balance ship power, they would have never claimed to want to do that in the first place.

The trait revamp? They already planned on doing that, and they never intended to budge no matter what we said. But they're actively trying to tell us 'it'll be okay' with this. Highly contrasting situations.

for a long time forum user you are extremely naive. or were you not around when we were reassured that the game was NOT going FTP?

i havent seen anything anyplace yet where they actually said they were going to upgrade any ship other than the Bug. and that just because they are making a boat load of money on it from people allot of people who never ever come to the forums. i talk in game to people all the time that dont have a clue about any of this . they simply dont read
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm too lazy to look in the thread, but will ZEN ships get upgraded to T6?
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jjdez wrote: »

Likewise.

Orangeitis - I wish I had your hope, but I never had much to start with, and the faint glimmer flickers and fades with every new detail released.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Okay, what should I say about this? It's good information, but just like Edith Keeler's pacifism it's at the wrong time. I (and I guess a lot of other people) want to know how we will get T6 ships and what the differences between true T6 ships and the "equivalent" upgraded ones will be. And if T6 ships will be released slowly, one after the other like fleet ships or all at once. (Seriously, I think some C-Store ships still lack a fleet version and now you want to introduce a new system where we have to level our ships so it will actually be lost progress if we get our ships late?) Sorry, that raises far more questions than it answers. And the continued silence on the important issues makes me only more nervous.

So totally this.
    edited August 2014
    icsairguns wrote: »
    for a long time forum user you are extremely naive. or were you not around when we were reassured that the game was NOT going FTP?

i havent seen anything anyplace yet where they actually said they were going to upgrade any ship other than the Bug. and that just because they are making a boat load of money on it from people allot of people who never ever come to the forums. i talk in game to people all the time that dont have a clue about any of this . they simply dont read
    Can you actually put up an argument instead of ad hominems? I'm more than willing to change my mind if sufficient evidence is presented to me.
    every new detail released.
    I'm not operating on 'hope' with my posts. I'm just trying to take the most rational position here. If I have enough reason to change my position, I will.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Otherwise you're intentionally pissing off the playerbase just because you can.

Which, to some players, is how it's coming off at the moment.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    icsairguns wrote: »

I think I have figured orangeitis out. Every single post of him I read is pro-Cryptic, he never criticizes anything regardless of evidence and constantly disagrees with others who do BUT he has an anti-Tovan Khev signature. The only reasonable explanation is that it's parody.

Now I'm really curious how they want to sell us a T5 ship on Thursday.:D
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Tier 6 ships kinda sound awesome, I have to admit.

Too bad the Tier 6 Federation Cruiser looks like an abomination. Utterly horrible ship design. Not at all aesthetically pleasing.

Even if I'm blowing up against every ship I encounter by doing so, I'll stick to Tier 5. At least some of them actually look like Federation Starships and not flying kitchen utensils.

Might be a little harsh, but I calls it like I sees it.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think I have figured orangeitis out. Every single post of him I read is pro-Cryptic, he never criticizes anything regardless of evidence and constantly disagrees with others who do BUT he has an anti-Tovan Khev signature. The only reasonable explanation is that it's parody.

That's easy: they will reveal just enough about the upgrade path tomorrow to make it seem OK.
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    I'm beginning to wonder are they basically now holding back on that info as they know it will not be well received and induce a mass meltdown across the playerbase? I don't know if that will really achieve anything. IF they are going to basically make all existing ships very outdated compared to the awesome T6 ships, they might as well just get it out the way in the hopes the anger it will generate will cool by October.

because they will do a lifetime sub sale soon and if they tell us the truth it will hurt sales
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• fcaptkmtonfcaptkmton Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Just to add my 2 zen in...I have no problems with these new ships and look forward to them. I now return you to your woe is me gripe party.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014

But.. what's the evidence here? Oh yeah, we don't have it. It's mostly speculation... and a few tiny bits that don't tell us much.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg