What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tier 6 Ships Details

Comments

• Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I just noticed, what is sad. I have no more ship room for a new ship. So this will make things interesting. Only one I have room on is my Romulan character.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am willing to bet that there will be T6 canon ships. Currently during play as you level up you get access to Galaxies and Sovereigns and Voyagers and then at endgame there are the fleet versions.

I think that on top of the 3 new ships we will also get a handful of other T6 ships that people are familiar with.
    How many people would jump at a T6 Galaxy or Sovereign or Prometheus?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    OK, so... breaking this down in my head...

We have a bunch of features which are coming with the T6 ships. These include:

Hybrid bridge officer seats for the [REDACTED] boffs, whatever they are. Blog says these will be restricted to the pure T6 ships, and not necessarily all of those.

Extra console slot.

Level-scaling hit points.

"Starship Mastery" development tree.

Unlockable starship traits. Blog says these will be usable on any ship once unlocked.

So we've got one feature that we know is T6 only, one feature that we know T5s can use... so my question is, how many of the three in between will the current T5s have access to?

If the hybrid boff slots are the Unique Selling Point of the T6 ships, that would be good. It'd give them an edge, but (unless [REDACTED] turns out to be "Q" or something) not too much of an edge.

If the extra console slot is T6 only, hey, I could live with that. Again, an edge, but not too much of one.

If the scaling hit points and "Starship Mastery" are T6 only... umm... then existing T5 ships are obsolete, end of discussion. No way can they be competitive with that much extra muscle on the T6s.

So... where, on my little list there, are the dividing lines to be drawn?
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I am willing to bet that there will be T6 canon ships. Currently during play as you level up you get access to Galaxies and Sovereigns and Voyagers and then at endgame there are the fleet versions.

I think that on top of the 3 new ships we will also get a handful of other T6 ships that people are familiar with.
    How many people would jump at a T6 Galaxy or Sovereign or Prometheus?

Hope you're right. Perhaps this is all part of some lengthy process, which in the end is designed to make it look better to offer T6-canon ships for Zen to people who already own the T5-versions.
  • Options
    heraldofmanweheraldofmanwe Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's Star Trek Online.

It's not ENT Online.
    It's not TOS Online.
    It's not TNG Online.
    It's not DS9 Online.
    It's not VOY Online.

It's now 2410...was 2409.

This has never been a hidden fact...

The Federation launched a new U.S.S. Enterprise in 2409. She was hailed as the flagship of the fleet, like the Galaxy class of Picard's era. She led the federation's fleets into combat at a number of major engagements including the battle to retake DS9. Now, one in-universe year later, we are expected to believe that she is noticeably inferior to a new federation class of cruiser? One that would certainly have been in design over the same period?

In universe arguments for T6 ships don't work all that well. The Galaxy class refitted is essentially equal in power to the Odyssey, and there is no reasonable argument for the Odyssey being meaningfully outclassed, so the Galaxy refit (and the rest of the canon refit designs) have as much business at T6 as anything else.
  • Options
    section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Here we go again... The Company Line is to nerf what we have and make us buy new shiny stuff.

T-5 out T-6 in...Okay but what about lockbox ships?

ALL BOFFS out "New" dual class Boffs in.. [remember Efficient Saurian BOFF +5 to power levels?]

If you are a lifer is there any reward for spending the $300.00 anymore other than a 500 zen a month stipend?

Does this mean there will be another godawful grind on our starbases to raise them to T-6?

Will this "Starship Mastery" be retro-active seeing as to how I have flown the same ship for years?

Can someone please tell the powers to be to take out lower half admiral and replace it with "COMMODORE" That way it makes sense and follows star trek lore.

How about this for a lockbox...it has the ability to unlock a bound item and re-seal it so that it can be traded or sold on the exchange.[Now that would make some money for you]
  • Options
    kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    arnthebard wrote: »
    Here we go again... The Company Line is to nerf what we have and make us buy new shiny stuff.

T-5 out T-6 in...Okay but what about lockbox ships?

ALL BOFFS out "New" dual class Boffs in.. [rememberEfficient Saurian[/B]+5 to power levels?]

If you are a lifer is there any reward for spending the $300.00 anymore other than a 500 zen a month stipend?

Does this mean there will be another godawful grind on our starbases to raise them to T-6?

Will this "Starship Mastery" be retro-active seeing as to how I have flown the same ship for years?

Can someone please tell the powers to be to take out lower half admiral and replace it with "COMMODORE" That way it makes sense and follows star trek lore.

How about this for a lockbox...it has the ability to unlock a bound item and re-seal it so that it can be traded or sold on the exchange.[Now that would make some money for you]

There have been (very elaborate) forum discussions about how the rank system in STO is implausible for YEARS.

Soon we have 100s of 1000s of Fleet Admirals and Dahar Masters running around. Ridiculous, even more than now. Geko also hinted that future level cap increases would "naturally" be part of the game's evolution. So we're going to be Federation Presidents/Klingon Chancellors then??? And then, we all gonna be Q? Realistically it should be about being CAPTAIN. That's what is advertised, that's what everybody feels like in the end.

Hey, but this thread is about something else, back to topic ;)
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The Federation launched a new U.S.S. Enterprise in 2409. She was hailed as the flagship of the fleet, like the Galaxy class of Picard's era. She led the federation's fleets into combat at a number of major engagements including the battle to retake DS9. Now, one in-universe year later, we are expected to believe that she is noticeably inferior to a new federation class of cruiser? One that would certainly have been in design over the same period?

In universe arguments for T6 ships don't work all that well. The Galaxy class refitted is essentially equal in power to the Odyssey, and there is no reasonable argument for the Odyssey being meaningfully outclassed, so the Galaxy refit (and the rest of the canon refit designs) have as much business at T6 as anything else.

You expect a non player flagship not to get upgraded?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited August 2014

And dont forget the Regent, the Armitage and the Monarch.. all 2409 ships that a year late, are going to be inferior. But fear no more.. the JemHadar attack ship is going to be upgrated, so a ship that was TRIBBLE in 2370s is top designe on the 2409 and is going to be top at the 2410.

I know that some ppl just love cryptic, but defending their logic is.. illogic.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Uh.. no? All ships have a set amount of base health.

Base health, yes. But when you are leveling up you have to upgrade to a different Tier of ship (I.E. more HPs), and HPs are also effected by your skill investment. So yes, you do increase HPs as you level up. :P
    Reality Check:

The US Navy gets a fair number of years out of each of their vessels with regular upgrades. But they occasionally get something entirely new, and the older ships, however beloved by captains and crew become obsolete.

I don't see ships form WWI in regular use today.

STO Realty Check:

It's a business. Time for new ships. Wallet / Zen / Dilithium ready.

Yeah, but ships built after 9/11 (Tier 5) didn't become obsolete during the 2003 Iraq / Afghanistan War (Tier 6). :rolleyes:
  • Options
    heraldofmanweheraldofmanwe Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You expect a non player flagship not to get upgraded?

I expect the 1701-F will be upgraded. Which is why playable Odyssey class ships should (by the in-universe logic) be upgradable as well.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    You keep using those words rational and irrational.
    I do. They best describe the thoughts I want to convey.
    A rational position would be to be skeptical.
    I am. Or at least I think am am. I'm trying to be as skeptical as I can, at least.
    Your position could best be described as optimistic.
    If you wish to call it that.
    Not necessarily irrational, but no more rational than those you keep arguing with up and down the fora.
    Oh? And why is that?
    You've made an assumption, that things will turn out for the best, and keep pretending its more than that.
    No, I haven't made any assumption like that at all. Nor am I pretending anything. But if you can provide solid evidence that I am, I would be inclined to agree with you and change my position.
    actually wouldn't a rational position be to wait until you have all the facts before making a decision positive or negative?
    That's correct, though there could be some wiggle room if applying reasonable expectations and trust in any applicable parties. And I've been trying to keep my posts well within those parameters.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Tom: It's going to be sunny tomorrow.
    Jerry: It's going to rain tomorrow.
    Tom: You shouldn't assume that it will rain tomorrow.
    Jerry: But didn't you assume that it would be sunny tomorrow?
    Tom: No, I did not. What makes you think that?
  • Options
    skyecolyoskyecolyo Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This would be the part where you tell us what you're doing with our overpriced zen T5 ships.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    skyecolyo wrote: »
    This would be the part where you tell us what you're doing with our overpriced zen T5 ships.

In a perfect world, yes.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    rjoy79rjoy79 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm always happy to see more ships but that 4-nacelled Federation ship is fugly. I'm sorry but I have to say it, but it looks like someone needs to get their glasses checked.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Sometimes, apparently, its only an assumption if the other person does it.......
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    In a perfect world, yes.

Would that be a perfect world entertainment?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Would that be a perfect world entertainment?

In a perfect world, yes. That would be a perfect world entertainment.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In a perfect world, yes.

Don't know what the differences will be in the upgrades and T-6, but I'm betting an expense per ship to upgrade them .... on par with fleet ship costs.

My guess ... My bet.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Bad analogy is bad.

My position has dev claims(mainly Geko's) in mind. Posts that I've been responding to for the most part are ignoring those dev claims or reinterpreting them from face value to... something else.
    Sometimes, apparently, its only an assumption if the other person does it.......
    Instead of posting ad homenims, you could demonstrate why my posts are fallacious. We'll get nowhere if asserted fallacies are responded to with more fallacies.

I am ready to demonstrate any of my claims. Care to try me?
  • Options
    hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And dont forget the Regent, the Armitage and the Monarch.. all 2409 ships that a year late, are going to be inferior. But fear no more.. the JemHadar attack ship is going to be upgrated, so a ship that was TRIBBLE in 2370s is top designe on the 2409 and is going to be top at the 2410.

I know that some ppl just love cryptic, but defending their logic is.. illogic.

Let's not get started on the Bug ship and it's place in this game. lol. The ship that was a fragile kamikaze fighter and no better than cannon fodder for the Defiant and B'rel in the show ends up being one of the best ships in the game outclassing the fore mentioned ships.
    I don't get it. But, meh, what do I know, I'm just a Trekkie.
    Imagine what it would be like if the Defiant was the survivor duty officer pack ship and was the rare, OP ship for 400 mills on the exchange. Ah, one can dream...
    If it were my game to design,the canon ships and iconic trek ships would be the lock box and lobi ships and the exotic alien turds would be the c-store ships. It makes more sense to me and seems way more profitable than what we have now since this is such a niche game and a lot of the players are fans of the IP.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Question: The mastery is on a ship basis, but is it on the actual ship or on the ship type.

E.g. I grind my Defiant Retro to full mastery, delete it and reclaim it. Do i have to restart the grind to make it full mastery?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Just a piece advice in marketing to apprehensive but passionate crowd. Release the information that would settle their anxiety. Before showing them new shiny that they should be excited about. Because it's like telling a patent that just under gone a procedure to make their life better. That they will be released and out of bed in a few days and they will learn if the procedure is successful then... While in real life depending on the operation that may be the case. It certainly doesn't put our minds at ease enough to be excited...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    genhauk wrote: »
    Don't know what the differences will be in the upgrades and T-6, but I'm betting an expense per ship to upgrade them .... on par with fleet ship costs.

My guess ... My bet.

Similarly, I'm not particularly worried. I'll give Cryptic some credit in that it would be ludicrous to get rid of 4 years of ship development (and labor hours and money) to make it all obsolete for 10 or 12 new ships, with further T6 ships coming down the pipe.

That said, what my personal opinions are, what I think will happen, or what I speculate the end result to be is completely different from what factual information PWE actually publishes.

I'm not going towards blind cynicism here, like some posters. I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic that I'm not going to screwed over. But this should have been addressed right from the get-go. Especially when the game's big selling point is the starships themselves.

And really, the longer they delay that information, the more suspicious people are going to get that whatever news there is -- it's going to be bad.

Whether it actually turns out to be bad is something else entirely.

I really just see this as tormenting the playerbase simply because they can. Maybe it's their way of getting back at the players for all the mudslinging they do.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    ddplattddplatt Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    well that sucked, why can they just put me out of misery what they are doing with the locked box ship, instead of making the new super T6 ship which blatantly better than t5, there are carrot dangling, also we will make the T 5 ship like T5.9, I bet the same would apply to saying T4 ship will closer to T4.9 due to new features. All about the money b.....
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ddplatt wrote: »
    well that sucked, why can they just put me out of misery what they are doing with the locked box ship, instead of making the new super T6 ship which blatantly better than t5, there are carrot dangling, also we will make the T 5 ship like T5.9, I bet the same would apply to saying T4 ship will closer to T4.9 due to new features. All about the money b.....
    No one officially said anything about "tier 5.9". That's just a rumor.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Maybe it's their way of getting back at the players for all the mudslinging they do.

That's a bad plan. It only perpetuates more mudslinging.

The redacted nonsense is getting tiresome. This isn't the CIA. So stop roleplaying it Cryptic peoples. Or maybe some of us will start roleplaying wikileaks and go datamine it and publish it elsewhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ddplatt wrote: »
    instead of making the new super T6 ship which blatantly better than t5

Yeah, so far this news is not hopeful. T6 sounds like both a step up and a brand new series of grinds.

Gonna enjoy the bliss that I have encountered after uninstalling. Good luck to those who continue to troop onward on ye ole hamster wheel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    "In addition to the normal features you'd expect from a higher tier starship (hull hit points, an additional console slot, etc"

OH COME ON. I thought tier 6 was supposed to be a step sideways with the only difference being the extra special ability?!?