Install Arc
Options

Subspace Party Nullifier

Comments

• Options
    fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mgoblin2 wrote: »
    Only for them to lose it again when their simple, harmless visual effect is ignored by people who have common sense.

Agreed, but here's the thing, to a LOT of people the party amp is a harmless visual effect too. Sure some folks will be happy now that their characters don't dance when one gets set off, but there will still be PLENTY of people who will still find 100s of tiny unimportant things to be annoyed about. Heck I've seen people get "trolled" by somebody jumping repeatedly in front of them.....
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    way!

and by the way, you can even become filthy space rich beyond the grand nagus' wildest dreams with that galactic marketplace if you have the lobes for it

sure he had more than one account can hold :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    fenr00k wrote: »
    Agreed, but here's the thing, to a LOT of people the party amp is a harmless visual effect too. Sure some folks will be happy now that their characters don't dance when one gets set off, but there will still be PLENTY of people who will still find 100s of tiny unimportant things to be annoyed about. Heck I've seen people get "trolled" by somebody jumping repeatedly in front of them.....

Well there was this one guy who crouched right in front of my characters... pants...

I admit, I did feel somewhat uncomfortable by that...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Well there was this one guy who crouched right in front of my characters... pants...

I admit, I did feel somewhat uncomfortable by that...

Yup, BUT, here's the thing, you probably just ignored it, and he went away I'll bet? Or you finished what you were doing, and just walked off. So YOU won. What you didn't do is come on the forum crying out for the devs to remove crouch from the game.... lol
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yup, BUT, here's the thing, you probably just ignored it, and he went away I'll bet? Or you finished what you were doing, and just walked off. So YOU won. What you didn't do is come on the forum crying out for the devs to remove crouch from the game.... lol

Didn go to the forums complaining no...

However, I was "stuck" at ESD pr agreement with my fleet (was helping new comers), and he followed me around, and others...

And he didn stop, but I didn react to him either.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Maybe that person just really needed to go pee pee? I mean, come on. Everyone knows there are no toilets on Star Trek.
    sure there are

damn romulans just cloaked them all
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You could just use the name under my avatar you know, I'm not going to be upset or offended by you misunderstanding what I actually said. lol

But heh, folks are entitled to believe what they believes. Time will tell which is the correct opinion. I wont even be upset if I am proven wrong. ;)

I get what you're saying fully. I just don't agree with your opinion. I don't feel like the bully/troll is getting his jollies when someone's acquired immunity to their antics.

I didn't purchase the Nullifier on my characters out of anger/overreacting to the acts of trolls. I purchased them because I found the forced dance animation of the Party Amplifier asinine, especially while I'm trying to roleplay with my friends in public, which I have every right to. When you have a problem, and there's a solution to it, you go with the solution.

Do I wish there had been an actual option to opt out instead of an item? Yeah, that would've been very slightly more convenient. But, I think an item that costs virtually nothing will suffice in its stead. If trolls/bullies do get their jollies from me being immune to the forced-dance animation because I went ahead and bought this item, good for them. I'll still be immune to the Party Ball in the end, and I'll be happier for it :)
    @MGoblin256

"[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Maybe that person just really needed to go pee pee? I mean, come on. Everyone knows there are no toilets on Star Trek.

tell me this do you want to watch Picard take a number 2?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    tell me this do you want to watch Picard take a number 2?

With that said, I leave you with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP1lN50OGlE
    @MGoblin256

• Options
    dcmstechdcmstech Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    With that said, I leave you with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP1lN50OGlE

[golf clap] Well played :)
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lol, thx for the vid :D
  • Options
    kalabakkkalabakk Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thank goodness they are finally going to implement something to cancel out those disco bombs. I would have thought they had learned their lesson back with the cryo grenades. I would have given up a year's worth of new content just to get cancel those stupid disco balls.

I have to ask the obvious question, though...
    Why not just fix the disco balls to not force people to dance in the first place?

If you look at the description for the disco ball, they seem to have gone out of their way to say that it wouldn't break emotes or do all the other things that it actually does. Why not just make it work the way it was intended (at least according to the description)?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I get what you're saying fully. I just don't agree with your opinion. I don't feel like the bully/troll is getting his jollies when someone's acquired immunity to their antics.

I didn't purchase the Nullifier on my characters out of anger/overreacting to the acts of trolls. I purchased them because I found the forced dance animation of the Party Amplifier asinine, especially while I'm trying to roleplay with my friends in public, which I have every right to. When you have a problem, and there's a solution to it, you go with the solution.

Do I wish there had been an actual option to opt out instead of an item? Yeah, that would've been very slightly more convenient. But, I think an item that costs virtually nothing will suffice in its stead. If trolls/bullies do get their jollies from me being immune to the forced-dance animation because I went ahead and bought this item, good for them. I'll still be immune to the Party Ball in the end, and I'll be happier for it :)

Thanks for responding directly, I much prefer it. ;)

That's fine, you don't have to agree with my opinion any more than I have to agree with yours. It may help you to understand my opinion better though if I explain that it was given in response to those who's contribution to this thread has consisted of "Ha, I enjoy the tears of the trolls in this thread", when there simply haven't been any. I seek to explain WHY there are no troll tears to be enjoyed here is all.

If you are happy, and wont feel trolled any more, that's great, and is why I don't oppose Cryptic adding the nullifier in the slightest. BUT, and here's the crux of the matter vis a vis my opinion, there are, and will be, plenty of players who aren't satisfied and who will continue to feel trolled, and for them using it will, in my humble opinion, prove to be a mistake as for one they will be bothered by the knowledge that the trolls will see their using it as a response, and for another for a few trolls it will be the proverbial red flag to the bull. This will be especially true for those without the social tools to ever be satisfied than 100% getting things exactly how they want them, which every MMO attracts, but one with an IP such as Star Trek is expecially tempting to.

The amount of complaints in the forum wont go down any either, they'll just be about something else.
  • Options
    abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Oh dear, this i still going even after they fixed it?

calidhris wrote: »
    Now all we need to make the game's social areas truly social again is a deactivation of kit powers, fire extinguishers, party poppers and other annoying troll tools. This is a first step in the right direction.

I hope it'll not only override the dancing animation (the least annoying part of the disco ball) but also what passes for music coming from it and the light effects liable to make you go blind.

Also, just putting this out here: doing away with explosions on social maps that shake the map for everyone would be a big help towards making these areas more fun.

It's not like there's a viable alternative to places such as Drozana, since everyone needs bank, exchange, mail and NPC vendor access regularly.

Not everyone would agree with that. Even though I never use the party guns more than once to see what they do, I think that denying them to others to satisfy your need for 'immersion' or whatever is pushing the envelope of selfishness. This would be a case of you wanting to unduly affect the gameplay (how the game functions) of others to satisfy your desire for visually and auditorily sterilized zones. You would be forcing YOUR vision of immersion onto others.

You don't find these devices fun...it cuts both ways. There are those that would loathe your sterile utopia and not find it fun.

Your assertion that there are no other venues for using the bank, exchange, mail, and vendor access other than Drozana is silly to me. Have you ever tried ESD/Qo'nos/New Romulous, K-7/Ganalda, Starbase 39, Deep Space 9, Fleet Holdings, or your call freighter ability that you should have gained from the Mission(s) "Bringing Down the House"(KDF), "Stranded in Space" (Fed), or "The Helix" (Romulan)?

chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Yay. Sorry but too many people dancing sometimes messes with my system. I'm starting to think my faithful graphics card is starting to go but until I can afford replace it, I'd rather not have system crashes.

If dancing players is causing you issues, then the queued events with Pets, FaW, multiple explosions, and such should also hose your system too. Dancing players isn't the issue in this case. It's subpar hardware.
    adorenko wrote: »
    too bad I can't troll the people who hate it the most. I know, once we realize which people have them we'll just follow them around and dance up on them like a night at Roxbury!!!

That's not not cool. It's things like this that get our fun taken away from us. :(
    calidhris wrote: »
    It's a step in the right direction but it's going to be a long time until trolling can be effectively stopped.

I'd rather have everyone in the game run around in swimwear, though - that's something that wouldn't have needed 'fixing' - whoever sets those priorities... *shakes head*

Good luck with trying to stop trolling. People will always find ways to annoy others, and some people are overly sensitive, and go completely to pieces when they have to interact in any way with other players. I had one guy jump all over my case for spamming my carrier pets and photonic fleet, nimbus pirate guys, and the device fighters because it was causing him to lag...I was just trying to see how many pets I could have out at once and what got put on a cd.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    I sincerely hope not.

As stated in many threads passim, the disco balls et al work best when self regulated.

In other words, if they're used responsibly then cryptic don't have to regulate them.

If disco ball extremists harrass enough players using the nullifier, then the losers will end up being those who use them for fun.

Can't stand the things myself, but I'd be saddened if they ended up gone from the game because some griefers didn't know when to stop.

Edited for dyac

This.

Though some players take the presence of other players to be a game breaking affront.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for responding directly, I much prefer it. ;)

That's fine, you don't have to agree with my opinion any more than I have to agree with yours. It may help you to understand my opinion better though if I explain that it was given in response to those who's contribution to this thread has consisted of "Ha, I enjoy the tears of the trolls in this thread", when there simply haven't been any. I seek to explain WHY there are no troll tears to be enjoyed here is all.

If you are happy, and wont feel trolled any more, that's great, and is why I don't oppose Cryptic adding the nullifier in the slightest. BUT, and here's the crux of the matter vis a vis my opinion, there are, and will be, plenty of players who aren't satisfied and who will continue to feel trolled, and for them using it will, in my humble opinion, prove to be a mistake as for one they will be bothered by the knowledge that the trolls will see their using it as a response, and for another for a few trolls it will be the proverbial red flag to the bull. This will be especially true for those without the social tools to ever be satisfied than 100% getting things exactly how they want them, which every MMO attracts, but one with an IP such as Star Trek is expecially tempting to.

The amount of complaints in the forum wont go down any either, they'll just be about something else.

Well, as the old saying goes: You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. That's the way of MMOs. There will always be complainers and doom-sayers on the forums, ingame or anywhere else relating.

I try not to fall in that category. I'm just glad, and grateful that the devs took some of their time to do something about a feature that I consider annoying, and I'm not gonna gloat, complain and demand more than what we've gotten, which to me, is more than satisfactory.
    @MGoblin256

• Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    there should also be a Witch Burner, to send in a flogging party to stop these disco balls, oh, and beat and torture all who smile, until everyone clears out by force, it can also recruit Security Teams to their aid, oh, we should have strict 2 toned color themed uniforms also for all sides, for male and female, just so there is no confusion. .. :D lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I think that sadly, the best answer for some people is to just not play MMOs, as they will never find one where they are truly happy, as some people just don't have the tools to play nicely with other people who don't always hare their idea of what is or isn't fun.
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    to true, people take things to far, games where made for entertainment, not to whine all day, that is what Facebook was made for :D
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Made a specific item to off set the effects of the subspace party amp... Could have just removed the forced dance component from the party amp.

Going to be a surprisingly popular item though. I'd be un-surprised if eventually 90% or more of the player population get themselves nullifier. Nope, not even a little surprised. I predict it'll become the new right of passsage.. get a nullifier or be considered a noob.

At least this will put a big crimp in the worst of the trolling, griefing, and harassing of players in social zones through forced effects. It is by far the most abused tool for doing so.

Might not be what the dev team intended, but it is what it got turned into. Should have done something about it months and months ago. I wonder just how many customers this game has lost because of the stupid things... Note I said "customers".. not players... people who pay to get things in game. I've had my wallet closed since the things were introduced. It's the only "vote" that counts.

Personally I think the party nullifiers should cost no more then the party amplifiers.

Or to put it another way..

CRYPTIC.. stop freak'n punishing your players for playing your product.

My bet would the number of players who were so disturbed over the party amp that they had to leave is so small as to be unnoticeable in the grand scheme of things versus people leaving over no new content, never ending grindfests, buggy gameplay, the powercreep grand prix, imbalanced factions, ignoring PvP....etc.

The Nullifier is the same price as the Amp per unit. You only need one nullifier and is a permanent item, whereas the amp is unchanged and is still consumed on use.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I think that sadly, the best answer for some people is to just not play MMOs, as they will never find one where they are truly happy, as some people just don't have the tools to play nicely with other people who don't always hare their idea of what is or isn't fun.

Agreed.

Honestly, it's live and let live. You've got your version of fun, I've got my version of fun. I won't disrupt yours, if you won't disrupt mine.
    @MGoblin256

• Options
    edited July 2014
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Looks like we won, Sorry'boutit.

To be honest it never bothered me all that much until I saw the complaint threads about these disco balls and people like you 2 defending them. It just seemed so silly to get so worked up over keeping those things that it was funny to get them nerfed.

Uh...How did you win?

I don't recall making trying to make this into a contest.

The nullifier has absolutely no impact on me. I have no issue over this solution.

My gameplay is unaffected.

Again, why do you try to turn this into an "I win, you lose" situation? Everyone wins here.

As I recall, weren't you one of the people who had a fit over the party amps?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    astro2244 wrote: »
    After reading this post I must address the 800 lbp gorilla in the room. (Oh hi S'taass.) Why the heck was a disco ball put in game in the first place? Was it for any other reason then to troll and especially in social zones? Not to mention in 2410 disco rightfully being dead for centuries do to it being a dance crime against humanity :D I just can't ignore the logical question of what purpose did it serve?

Let me take a stab at this.

Because it's fun item?
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Because it's fun item?

Fun is subjective. What some consider fun, others consider a form harassment or [REDACTED] of their digital avatars.

Now let that sink in for a moment.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Agreed.

Honestly, it's live and let live. You've got your version of fun, I've got my version of fun. I won't disrupt yours, if you won't disrupt mine.

Thanks for not pointing out that I'd missed the s of share, turning it into a hare.... lol

Just that for me, people trying to make the PUG they are in fail a mission, is far more annoying, and even that I just ignore and try another later. They're the real losers at the end of the day, as I can just try again with another PUG. lol Luckily this game doesn't have open world PvP, but even there, I'd just find another game to play that didn't.

Better to enjoy what you have, than complain about what you don't have.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    Fun is subjective. What some consider fun, others consider a form harassment or **** of their digital avatars.

That argument however is based upon the opinion that one person has more of a right than another to have fun. This is an MMO, not a single player game.

I'm not going to address the other point in your reply, for the simple reason that to do so could be considered a "flame".
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for not pointing out that I'd missed the s of share, turning it into a hare.... lol

Just that for me, people trying to make the PUG they are in fail a mission, is far more annoying, and even that I just ignore and try another later. They're the real losers at the end of the day, as I can just try again with another PUG. lol Luckily this game doesn't have open world PvP, but even there, I'd just find another game to play that didn't.

Better to enjoy what you have, than complain about what you don't have.

You're welcome :P

Also, my thoughts exactly.

Honestly? The only thing that would've made this whole ordeal better is if the Nullifier also disabled the visual effects, client-side, for things like the Party Poppers and, of course, the party ball itself. But.... Ces't la vie. I'm not gonna complain :) At least the forced effect is dealt with for those of us who care.
    @MGoblin256

• Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Seeing this generated serious arguments enough to get people in trouble for simply asking for a way to make it stop this is definitely a win.

Again:

Two types of people in STO.

Those here for the Star Trek and those here for the game.

The Trekkers would not ever dream of breaking another's immersion with silly antics.

The gamers like to push the envelope and use anything available in the game, especially if it bothers someone else.

Now both sides can have their way, yet there is upset over the fact that people can now resist the unwanted antics.

This proves the troll that the device had become.