Install Arc
Options

Official feedback thread for the new Earth Space Dock

Comments

• Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Lookin' sharp. ;)

-Lt. Commander "Egg" E'genn is MIA on new ESD. Won't this break mission progression?

-The Market Speculator feels out of place, like she should be facing a console, or standing closer to a console a few feet to her right or left, instead of directly in the middle of the access step to the bank.

-The console next to Ensign Rraak still says "Interact" when you claim your fed combat eva suit. The text on Holodeck is "Claim Combat Environmental Suit"

-The new warp-in location when entering Sol from Sirius is pretty low. Not sure if that's deliberate but it feels weird when I'm accustomed to warping in roughly level with the docking bay doors.
    http://i.imgur.com/VSADhxf.jpg

-Can something be done to improve the compression of Earth's specular map? When viewing it at an oblique angle that faces the sun the blocks are clearly visible. Not an issue when there's no specular highlight such as facing away.
    http://i.imgur.com/9ygFr3X.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/q2XpxFd.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/B0o7w1P.jpg

-Also it's always going to irritate me that the city lights are visible on the day side of the planet. :P

psiameese wrote: »
    I forgot to ask if collision can be removed from both the open and closed surgical frames. as attached to the biobeds, found in the Infirmary? Choosing the Sleeping emote has us lying over the bed. In the air. Over the surgical frame. To line up with character head on the pillow we need to be standing, roughly, upon the center of the bed itself. But we can only stand or lie down over the bed. Not on it.

That would be nifty.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The new warp-in location when entering Sol from Sirius is pretty low. Not sure if that's deliberate but it feels weird when I'm accustomed to warping in roughly level with the docking bay doors.
    http://i.imgur.com/VSADhxf.jpg

There is like a hundred dry-docks... its ESD not Utopia Planitia O.o

The number needs to be reduced dramatically.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    One group of drydocks became two (in order to have two different types, accommodating wider ships) - fine.

Two groups of docks became FOUR now... It now looks as cluttered as the live-map on Holodeck right now :-((( Please tell us this is a temporary let's-try-this-out-thing.

Also: Why was the big-Earth-backdrop reverted to its ugly, unrealistically blocky textured, small-Earth 3D-model?? Looks like the Live server again. Again: Please tell us this is a temporary let's-try-this-out-thing!!!

The Sol System map was basically reverted to its Live server state on Tribble :(

Could Taco please comment on whether these "changes" (reverts) are temporary or not?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I would say you need one group with a mix of docks, simples.

It doesn't make much sense to have such a major dry-dock set up at ESD when Utopia Planitia is practically next door.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I quite like the current number of drydocks, my only complaint with them if the way some face towards ESD, I think they should all face away from it but given Earth is the Federation's home planet and the KDF mission to attack Utopia Planatia, it makes sense that starfleet would put up reserve shipyards around the more defensible ESD.

I agree the spawn point right now is a tad low though and that the picture from Sirius block needs updating to reflect the new map.

Oh and one more thing, why is a tactical officer the sickbay receptionist?
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited April 2014

There is like a hundred dry-docks... its ESD not Utopia Planitia O.o

The number needs to be reduced dramatically.

There are several dock yards in the Sol system, a number of them orbit Earth and the Moon (Moon #2 & Moon #3). I'd imagine they've just consolidated them into one big yard possibly due to the ongoing conflicts.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014
    My Art Lead made the call on Earth, and it's reversion to 3D.

Similarly, he thought that Earth Space felt empty, so he had me add more drydocks around the other side of ESD.

The Start Spawn is positioned where it is to create a more interesting frame when you first warp in. I'll mess with it.

The extra warp in points do not collide with any drydocks.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

Similarly, he thought that Earth Space felt empty, so he had me add more drydocks around the other side of ESD.

The Start Spawn is positioned where it is to create a more interesting frame when you first warp in. I'll mess with it.

I haven't been able to get on Tribble yet, but is the Earth texture getting an update at all?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited April 2014

It looks alright from a high orbit, the problems arise when you take a low orbit and you start to notice lights in the English Channel that suggest Britain and France are linked by a land-bridge, which as an Englishman, simply won't do :P (I kid, but seriously, needs correcting).
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Awww. I liked it better as a huge background planet.
    I think most maps should be like this in fact.

Planets that are hardly a magnitude bigger than most starships are totally underwhelming.

If your art lead thinks a 3D ball is better at least give it the appropriate size and texture.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Dude, tell your art lead... BIG MISTAKE! on 3D earth... it looks very low res and I see tons of pixels on the planets especially the virgin islands and PR. ESD and Earth were much more realistic in the larger tribble form. ESD should be dwarfed by Earth... now ESD looks like its the size of the moon.

I don't mind additional dry docks but they should be arranged better and not look cut n paste.

I know it may not be astronomically correct depending on the sun's location, but I liked seeing the gaseous milky way which was present in previous updates before it was muted down to just faint stars. I would think these things would be much more visible in orbit than from down on the planet.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    mikefl wrote: »
    Dude, tell your art lead... BIG MISTAKE! on 3D earth... it looks very low res and I see tons of pixels on the planets especially the virgin islands and PR. ESD and Earth were much more realistic in the larger tribble form. ESD should be dwarfed by Earth... now ESD looks like its the size of the moon.

I don't mind additional dry docks but they should be arranged better and not look cut n paste.

I know it may not be astronomically correct depending on the sun's location, but I liked seeing the gaseous milky way which was present in previous updates before it was muted down to just faint stars. I would think these things would be much more visible in orbit than from down on the planet.

While I agree the skyfile solution was better the Art Lead probably reversed it because it would make the Sol map different from every other map with a signature planet (Vulcan, Andoria, bajor, etc.); and they don't want that (or don't want to have to redo those maps should players start asking why Earth looks better then every other planet in the game, etc.) yes, they first did it with the KEDF 'Alpha' mission (to great effect) but that was one mission, and in fiction the planet involved was a huge gas giant.)

Don't like the decision myself either, but I can understand the reasons why it was made.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited April 2014

The texture on Earth looks horrible. It did so from the start of the game, and now it does again. It is ridiculously blocky. The bump map looks unrealistic, as do the city lights.

If the Sol System map looks "empty", then the Qo'noS map is "empty" as well. You put so much effort in making ESD bigger, more open, less cramped... and still you want the Sol System map to look cluttered, unrealistic, ugly. Is Earth orbit supposed to look full, cluttered, confusing OR is it supposed to be a busy social zone, putting the player ships and ESD itself in the focus, and not a myriad of space docks.

The Art Lead must have never actually seen that 3D Earth model, no game artist would be happy with that... (I am afraid this is a "political" decision and any logical, sensible arguments will be in vain at this point :( )
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kagasensei wrote: »
    The texture on Earth looks horrible. It did so from the start of the game, and now it does again. It is ridiculously blocky. The bump map looks unrealistic, as do the city lights.

If the Sol System map looks "empty", then the Qo'noS map is "empty" as well. You put so much effort in making ESD bigger, more open, less cramped... and still you want the Sol System map to look cluttered, unrealistic, ugly. Is Earth orbit supposed to look full, cluttered, confusing OR is it supposed to be a busy social zone, putting the player ships and ESD itself in the focus, and not a myriad of space docks.

The Art Lead must have never actually seen that 3D Earth model, no game artist would be happy with that... (I am afraid this is a "political" decision and any logical, sensible arguments will be in vain at this point :( )

Do you know how big space is? How mind boggling big it is?

Not cluttered is realistic, the only stuff you would see in immediate vicinity of ESD would be ships and some docks, which you can.

Edit:

Oh I mis-read your post.
  • Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not sure if this is the correct place for this suggestion, but place an entrance to the captains table on the new map. It might help bring life to an otherwise dead map.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the correct place for this suggestion, but place an entrance to the captains table on the new map. It might help bring life to an otherwise dead map.

Last I heard that was a possible plan.
  • Options
    origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    you did and doing a wonderful job on esd, is there any plans to add anything to the academy? like open another existing building or adding content for down there?
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the subtitle of S9 is yet? Will it actually be called Season 9: Earth Spacedock?

It's "Season 9: A New Accord", as stated in the first season 9 blog. :)

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/3038123-season-9-dev-blog-_1
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Baaaah. I liked the other way better.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    No Art Lead can possibly consider this

Earth_02.png
    Earth_03.png

to be better than the much more realistic background sprite of Earth we used to have until the last Tribble patch.

So if it really HAS to be a 3D model, tacofangs has to do some magic and squeeze some time out of his Art Lead (is it still Jeremy Mattson?) in order to be able to replace Earth's texture. I am aware of STO's engine-related limit on maximum texture size, but there has to be a better/more realistic looking alternative than that ugly thing we had to look at for the past 4+ years :-|
  • Options
    backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm also sad to see the new version of Earth go. The planet finally looked like the grand blue wonder it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    there are now 80 Docks around ESD O.o, i don't think Utopia Planitia even had that many...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    britewolfbritewolf Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2014

:(

I think the community may be over-ruling that! The background is far preferable to the 3d; Taco, please convince your lead it was a mistake to revert. Otherwise I love everything.

Okay, I have a few little niggles, but it's not the finished article yet. I've taken the decision not to go back to Tribble now until full launch. I can't wait!

:D
    General T'Reirr Asei
    Captain of the venerable I.K.S. Y'Kun.
    Warrior of the Empire; Savior of Cookies; Lord of String; Devious Little S*!7
    #PlomeekSoupForTheIndifferent #AmNotFluffy #Klingons4Equality #PriorityOneRocks #ShortButPouncey

#MaybeALittleFluffy
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yes, I can only repeat myself here.
    If the reasoning is to have all (social) maps looking uniform, then the proper course of action is to change the other social maps to big planet 2D backdrops as well:

Earth, Vulcan, Andor (only the planet, the moons should stay as they are), Qo'nos, New Romulus, Bajor, Risa should all be like that.

Small 3D planet on mission maps is ok for simple gameplay reasons I can accept that.

But don't tease us with the better solution and then take it away. :mad: ;)
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in the thread (if I missed it)...

* The interiors are phenomenal. Please DO leave the original ESD on the Foundry, though, as some of us Foundry authors used it in our missions. (And we're keen to have this version available separately, too!)

* The Earth textures do indeed need improvement. Sorry, but it's true.

* Can you alternate Starfleet vessel flybys with C-Store ships? It would be a good way to market/upsell what's available. :)

* There's a conference table area with gold-colored ship models on shelves. Two suggestions: 1.) Remove the chairs at the ends of the table to permit toons to get a closer look at the models, or move the table for easier access; and 2.) I hope you add an assortment of ship models, not a few of the same ship models alongside each other.

* No complaints about the # of space docks. Forget the Utopia Planitia/Mars argument. Earth is a centerpoint of the Federation. Starfleet is going to station more available ships (even in drydock berths). In Star Trek canon, the Breen attack on Starfleet Academy, the Borg incursion, etc. speak volumes towards this.

* How about another tailor console elsewhere in the station so we can easily change into off-duty uniforms in leisure areas, instead of traveling to the Tailor's area?

* Admiral Quinn's office is remarkable! The wall map is right out of TNG/DS9/VOY. Bravo!

* Lastly, where the lavatory? :)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    tucana66,

You can change your outfit anywhere already. Just right click your character icon in the upper left corner and go from there. ;)
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014

Hmm, I just assumed you were the art lead.
    adamkafei wrote: »
    It looks alright from a high orbit, the problems arise when you take a low orbit and you start to notice lights in the English Channel that suggest Britain and France are linked by a land-bridge, which as an Englishman, simply won't do :P

Yes, we allow them to get halfway across the bridge then raise it, problem solved.

:P
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Can we get an animation where ESD blows up upon warp in? (The Klingon Dream)
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    darlexadarlexa Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    That is the 'Ball' of a science ship behind it

http://i.imgur.com/6Z1oTj2.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/GNSpCaX.jpg

that diagram must be new. I like it, though it supports my belief that the ships aren't moored correctly inside the dock. they should be stacked vertically on either side of the "piers" of the central block, or arrayed as they are along the outer wall. having ships positioned on either side of path for the space doors would impeded traffic from the sides.

second, you should add it to a display at the shipyard. it definitely deserves to be there too for players, especially newer ones, to know what's out there.