test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official feedback thread for the new Earth Space Dock

Comments

• psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is there a reason that the civilian, Caitian bartender was renamed from Niwan to Lt. Velde?

Thumbs-up for the additional shipyard a ways out from ESD. It's sitting right where I'd expect the S.F. Yards facility to be. While I count myself amongst those who will park my starship in a drydock from time to time, I wonder if the numerous Drydock sets around ESD and one with this new station are sufficient? Having two sets with the second station might be overkill.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    psiameese wrote: »
    Is there a reason that the civilian, Caitian bartender was renamed from Niwan to Lt. Velde?

Thumbs-up for the additional shipyard a ways out from ESD. It's sitting right where I'd expect the S.F. Yards facility to be. While I count myself amongst those who will park my starship in a drydock from time to time, I wonder if the numerous Drydock sets around ESD and one with this new station are sufficient? Having two sets with the second station might be overkill.

I am very concerned that ESD will become cluttered, since the argument is to address the emptiness of the map may I suggest the following;

Have a larger dock construction over San Fransisco to the far right of ESD for the San Fransisico Fleet Yards, have a small dock collection in various size TMP docks on the far left of ESD with a SMALL orbital outpost. The TMP docks would hold the NX Enterprise, Ent-A, Ent-B, the stolen B'rel from ST3, a TOS Constitution, (constellation when available) and other classic ships, this would act as the Starfleet Museum. Add these while having a small selection of docks outside the ESD window only.

This would hold the dual purpose of de-cluttering around ESD but having more assets in the map as well as having canon consistency. These assets already exist, it would merely be a matter of placing them appropriately.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    I agree with some of the posters here. It's space, it shouldn't be cluttered.

One suggestion could be to put some of these facilities in other areas around Earth Orbit. On the show when we saw McKinley Station it did not seem to be within visual range of ESD. Since we can fly around Earth Again (which is an iffy decision IMO, I liked the backdrop version), you might as well space out the facilities.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • clannmacclannmac Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Absolutely beautiful as far as layout and content, and it's nice to have something new to explore, but...we shouldn't HAVE to explore "home" to find everything.

Yeah, I know, I know, "there's a map." But, when I "re-decorate" my flat, I don't have to look at a directory to relocate the loo.

Once again, leave well enough alone! Of all the things that need/needed overhauling, ESD was NOT one of them. Wasn't the "next thing on the agenda" supposed to be matching starship bridges with corridors and such? I mean, we now have the default bridge ("Origin," right?) that LOOKS and FEELS like a bridge - more compact, more 'intimate' - but the corridors are still very angular and large enough to drive a Mac truck through everywhere except for the Fed tutorial ship...

Again, the new ESD is beautiful, I admit. But, if your "house" is in order, why remodel? And, just out of curiosity, are you "rebuilding" a home for the Klingons, or are they stuck with the same drapes and carpets as before?
    366400.jpg

Fleet Commander
    Caprica's Revenge
    (...actually active since November 2010, which may one day be important to archaeologists, but not to anyone else...)
  • yulianhuayulianhua Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    One thing I've noticed is that in the area around Ops/Quinn's office, one can hear the sounds of impulse engines (or at least the same sound effect that is used when under impulse power). It can be heard throughout ops, and about 10 meters outside of the ops walls.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    clannmac wrote: »
    Absolutely beautiful as far as layout and content, and it's nice to have something new to explore, but...we shouldn't HAVE to explore "home" to find everything.

Yeah, I know, I know, "there's a map." But, when I "re-decorate" my flat, I don't have to look at a directory to relocate the loo.

Once again, leave well enough alone! Of all the things that need/needed overhauling, ESD was NOT one of them. Wasn't the "next thing on the agenda" supposed to be matching starship bridges with corridors and such? I mean, we now have the default bridge ("Origin," right?) that LOOKS and FEELS like a bridge - more compact, more 'intimate' - but the corridors are still very angular and large enough to drive a Mac truck through everywhere except for the Fed tutorial ship...

Again, the new ESD is beautiful, I admit. But, if your "house" is in order, why remodel? And, just out of curiosity, are you "rebuilding" a home for the Klingons, or are they stuck with the same drapes and carpets as before?

I agree that there are other things needing looked at, but I completely support them putting the time and effort into this project. It's something they've wanted to do for a while but haven't had the time allocated to them for such a project. The current ESD (even after the improvements made a few years ago) is dark and depressing, it doesn't feel very Starfleet like, it's never felt like it belongs on a Federation starbase. This new interior is actually something you could imagine on a Federation built starbase.

As for finding things, it's a heck of a lot easier on the new station. Not to mention it's nice not just running in circles for things now, this is not DS9. :)
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I am very concerned that ESD will become cluttered, since the argument is to address the emptiness of the map may I suggest the following;

Have a larger dock construction over San Fransisco to the far right of ESD for the San Fransisico Fleet Yards, have a small dock collection in various size TMP docks on the far left of ESD with a SMALL orbital outpost. The TMP docks would hold the NX Enterprise, Ent-A, Ent-B, the stolen B'rel from ST3, a TOS Constitution, (constellation when available) and other classic ships, this would act as the Starfleet Museum. Add these while having a small selection of docks outside the ESD window only.

This would hold the dual purpose of de-cluttering around ESD but having more assets in the map as well as having canon consistency. These assets already exist, it would merely be a matter of placing them appropriately.

Now that I have had a chance to log on I can see that the SF yards are nicely done, having a Starfleet Museum on the far left of ESD and removing some of the docks around ESD would be the final touch to making this zone perfect.

Removing docks should be a high priority as there are now 100 in orbit, we really don't need that many.

Issues;

The chair for elsa mora the requisition officers contact has reverted to the old sovereign chair.

The Bussard Collectors for the Vesta Class are white.

The lighting strip at the top of the docks spire needs a fade between colours like holodeck.

Can spotlights be added to the dock to add scale.

The collision box preventing people running up the glass at the shipyard is missing.

The collision boxes around the Dry Docks prevent entry.

Patrol paths of NPCs make them go through barriers.

PADD on the floor under Quinns desk.

Lt. Cmdr Arut the Dil weapon contact is facing the wrong way and typing on a wall.

Turbolifts kick out out of the lift on arrival to the mezanine and the main level.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Personally I'd like to see the ships around ESD brought up to current standard ships (i.e Sovi, Luna, etc).

Although, one does question why SF shipyards have less dry docks than ESD...
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think there are too many docks sitting outside the station now and they are positioned right at spawn points, the few before were ok but now we've moved into overkill territory.
    I do not like the new space Earth model, you had a good idea with the one that was attached to the skybox, why abandon that in favor of this? Fine, people can fly around it, but I hope you have a better surface skin planned for it because this one just looks terrible.
    There is still an LOD problem on some of the walls in the doctor's office and all of the biobed displays are messed up, reversed or something, they only come on if you get close and very faintly at that.
    There is also still an LOD problem on the North and South ramps on the concourse where the dark bands disappear with distance.
    There is an Npc walking a repetitious path in the shuttle area just walking around a Yellowstone that looks really bizarre, better if he were walking from one group to another and talking or just standing still looking at a PADD, because his current activity looks a bit.....OCD.
    I'll second the opinion that there should be some kind of collision box on the glass over the shipyard area, it will just look too weird having that glass holding up under the mayhem that will likely be taking place on it if it goes that way live.
    I'm going to miss the holographic ship displays of the old shipyard but I don't think there is any room for them in this new area.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    I do not like the new space Earth model, you had a good idea with the one that was attached to the skybox, why abandon that in favor of this? Fine, people can fly around it, but I hope you have a better surface skin planned for it because this one just looks terrible.

According to Taco, his boss (the head of the art department) didn't like the skyfile planet specifically because you can't fly around it (despite much praise for it).

As far as I can tell, its actually the same model as the old one its just lighted differently so it looks new.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ESD is beautiful and I will be spending lots of time there when this goes Live for that reason.

I do, however, have a concern that all these mobile drydocks parked outside ESD make that area look way too cluttered. ESD was not a shipyard, but more like a command center. The yards themselves should be further away from ESD for that reason. Even though Taco said on the server that the impact on performance outside ESD would be minimal when compared to the character traffic... still, all the additional graphics will still add to the possibility of producing unneccessary lag for that area.

A few docks in small groups closer to Earth is one thing, but it looks like someone went copy/paste happy with those things around ESD.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    According to Taco, his boss (the head of the art department) didn't like the skyfile planet specifically because you can't fly around it (despite much praise for it).

As far as I can tell, its actually the same model as the old one its just lighted differently so it looks new.
    Part of the problem here is developers or in this case their bosses indulging what they like instead of what might be most suitable. I might agree with his position based on only one premise, that it is not being done anywhere else, which is too bad, because it did add a remarkable sense of realism to the space map.
    Upon your mentioning it, I did investigate and it does appear to be the same model, up until now, I had never really noticed how bad Earth looked on Holodeck in the right light, it isn't the the map details themselves that's the problem, it's the reflection/bloom mapping that does not follow the coastlines but instead looks like something out of a low resolution game.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I know that. He's said before he had to twist a few thumbs before they even tried the Gas Giant in Alpha. And I LOVE the Gas Giant in Alpha. The skybox planets are the best. I wish we had more. :(
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014
    Ok, I get it. Too many drydocks. Got it.
    adamkafei wrote: »
    Personally I'd like to see the ships around ESD brought up to current standard ships (i.e Sovi, Luna, etc).

What does this mean? All of the ships in the Docking bay, and flying around outside, are our current standard player ships.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

And I personally like the Skybox planets better. :(
    What does this mean? All of the ships in the Docking bay, and flying around outside, are our current standard player ships.

Maybe he's talking about how the new ships look comparative to the old ones? :confused:
  • millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Like some of the others've said, if the current groupings of drydocks are spaced out a bit further from each other, or in other spots around Earth orbit, could help. Like keep the original set where it is (for the interior window view) but push the others out and around, perhaps. Don't necessarily have to remove them, and could give us screenshotters other views that don't include Spacedock while parked/parking/etc. drydockness.

Also, thank you for adding docks of other sizes! Now if they wouldn't go invisible while "parked" inside... >_O
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    I agree with some of the posters here. It's space, it shouldn't be cluttered.

One suggestion could be to put some of these facilities in other areas around Earth Orbit. On the show when we saw McKinley Station it did not seem to be within visual range of ESD. Since we can fly around Earth Again (which is an iffy decision IMO, I liked the backdrop version), you might as well space out the facilities.

A suggestion from some us a few years ago was to acknowledge the international player base more. Since the space map is keeping the Earth model to fly around, it's time to place at least one set of drydocks at the other side of the planet and over the southern hemisphere.

Just northwest of Australia makes sense to me. This would serve to acknowledge Indonesia as well. Does anyone feel this is a bad idea?

See map points to clarify:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q81/gkerr_album/STO/EarthMapShipyards_zps5316295d.jpg
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Not to put words in his mouth, but perhaps some ships flying around in Sol should be newer shiny ones with the Type 6 material? I dunno that's my best guess.

millybun wrote: »
    Like some of the others've said, if the current groupings of drydocks are spaced out a bit further from each other, or in other spots around Earth orbit, could help. Like keep the original set where it is (for the interior window view) but push the others out and around, perhaps. Don't necessarily have to remove them, and could give us screenshotters other views that don't include Spacedock while parked/parking/etc. drydockness.

Also, thank you for adding docks of other sizes! Now if they wouldn't go invisible while "parked" inside... >_O

Maybe play around with the vertical distribution a bit? You've got 3 axes to work with.

Also yes, I would like to thank you for adding more drydocks that player ships can fit in since I haven't actually thanked you for that yet. It really does mean a lot to us.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Not sure if you have the assets or not, but what about that smaller station from The Motion Picture, that later became Regula 1 turned upside down..could you add that to earth orbit? Together with a couple of old style dry docks fitting the Constitution and other smaller ships.
    Could place it on the other side of the planet or at least over the west coast area/San Francisco.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Sorry to have caused confusion, now that I can finally get back to the forums (Yay PWE techs!) I can clear it up :)

What I mean is to update the Connies, Sabers, Galaxies, Akiras, etc to T5 ships such as the Sovi, etc. Given that in the timeline the older ships are seriously out of date.

Oh and can we put some ships in the dry docks with some sparks or something to give the map more... life? Thanks :)
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014
    Newer ships will be featured prominently, but given the fact that players can fly whatever, I want to include SOME older ships as a nod to that.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You know Taco, sometimes I wish you would be the guy with the highest rank in the STO team next to D'Angelo.

You really care for STO AND you try to do very much to please us.
  • kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You know Taco, sometimes I wish you would be the guy with the highest rank in the STO team next to D'Angelo.

You really care for STO AND you try to do very much to please us.

Very true. Many of us kinda "feel" your passion. (no naughty images intended) It is not just a job for you, but also sort of a calling.
  • darlexadarlexa Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kagasensei wrote: »
    Very true. Many of us kinda "feel" your passion. (no naughty images intended) It is not just a job for you, but also sort of a calling.

yes, thanks for your efforts taco, and please pass on my thanks at least to everyone else working on the new ESD. its a credit to the legacy ESD (and to the number of other things that needed to be dealt with first) that it lasted as long as it did. here is to hoping this ESD lasts at least half as long before needing to be fixed.
  • darlexadarlexa Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    request that the ambassadors being in quin's office be looked at again. they would be perfect down below in the unused conference room. that room is for ESD use. players who need something like that can use one of several lounge areas in the main area or on the upper walkway. and for fleet members, there are formal and/or informal areas in all 4 fleet facilities depending on teir level.

and if you are still against that, then at least move them out into the ops are proper, there is a decent area off the to right facing inboard as you enter through that anti-clockwise passage.
  • kazisakikazisaki Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    all 4 turbo lifts in the lower section let you up to the mezanine. maybe use one to let you into the shuttle bay? you guys have designed a really beautiful one

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/fss/9eb8b838426282c76eacdc97f21d8b20/new+ESD+shuttle.PNG

itd be a shame to let that go to waste... let us back in :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    kazisaki wrote: »
    all 4 turbo lifts in the lower section let you up to the mezanine. maybe use one to let you into the shuttle bay? you guys have designed a really beautiful one

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/fss/9eb8b838426282c76eacdc97f21d8b20/new+ESD+shuttle.PNG

itd be a shame to let that go to waste... let us back in :D

As he's already said though, they built the shuttle bay and made it non accessible to add a feeling of size to the station interior. So if they let us in there, then they'd have to add another section past that where we could see but not enter and then we'd most likely all want access to that area and the problem continues. They have to stop us somewhere.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • kazisakikazisaki Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As he's already said though, they built the shuttle bay and made it non accessible to add a feeling of size to the station interior. So if they let us in there, then they'd have to add another section past that where we could see but not enter and then we'd most likely all want access to that area and the problem continues. They have to stop us somewhere.

apologies, did not catch that bit... 93 pages is a lot of messages.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    kazisaki wrote: »
    apologies, did not catch that bit... 93 pages is a lot of messages.

Haha yeah I know what you mean, it can be hard to keep up with a lot of it. :D
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Bummer about Earth being changed back to the old one. I liked the skybox version better. I disagree with your art lead, man.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter