test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Outage (3/21/14) [Resolved!]

Comments

• k0rsak0fk0rsak0f Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    so nothing there is free except in the way that you think it. :)

oke mister..

who his choice is it to place / use a sun screen ?
    and who poisens the air. we do that. the air remains free as does the sun.
    meaning that your hammer is missing the nail.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    askray wrote: »
    devtracker is just a user not anything special.

It's not I haven't seen anything like that being posted by either NW or STO's twitter (especially considering the character limit is 140 hehe)

OK so it's just a user, not a mod or dev making statements like that. This information is good to know. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I'm disappointed as the rest, but gotta have patience.

*hands oldravenman a cookie*... that's the spirit!
  • thisisimposiblethisisimposible Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    br8den wrote: »
    Qnyx, you are describing entitlement exactly. "It is not a 'sense of entitlement' to simply want to play the game you want to play" YES! That is entitlement.

Could you site a reference for you definition of entitlement, cuz I think you WRONG
  • thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's not a game server issue it's a network hardware issue.

Guys keep up. I've already linked the previous two identical instances this occurred before. Anyways look the game won't be back till tomorrow so just let go of your frustration and get some sleep.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sure it's not a DDOS attack? a few MMOs have been hit at varying times with them
    edited March 2014
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    Almost all the devs have twitters, the word on the street is that it's the best way to keep in track and even get in touch with them

Sigh, you are being trolled by this person.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    this is the sort of thing I was talking about in another thread. they don't do a patch this week( and we all know this game has plenty that needs fixed) then soon after it all come crashing down.

but this time I think it all started in the foundry and/or chat systems. since they are what started acting up and hour or so before this outage. kicking from the game when you tried to load screen then a series of different error messages like GS error and RS error.

and I also don't like updates via facebook and twitter. I don't use either of those services and not plans to. if that's how they want to send us updates why even bother with the forums at all?
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    gr4v1t4r wrote: »
    Indeed, which is why most companies prepare for that scenario, ever heard of redundancy? A flawless server is impossible to guarantee, a flawless service is not (certain natural disasters, outbreaks of war etc. not taken into account of course). Ever heard of redundancy? The thing is that it costs money, and it apparently is an investment Cryptic/PWE is either unable or unwilling to make. Now that in itself is perfectly fine, but don't pretend like problems like this *have* to affect the players/customers, because it is simply not true.
    redundant question is redundant
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Server lag just means on the backend they need to flush old data cache so in other words clean out the junk code and defrag and reboot/powercycle the servers.

They should do this on off peak times if such times do exist on this STO. I had mine on all day yesterday and into the this early morning while I was sleeping in my chair next to PC. I can see day, evening, night and early morning sun rise.

This afternoon I did finally get a chance to get some real sleep but found that the servers are still down since 6pm my time like some 3 hrs ago. I hope they can get the servers backup and running.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • eldritchdrakeeldritchdrake Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    redundant question is redundant
    I'll sell you a car at twice the price but only give you one. If that one ever breaks down I'll give you the other one.
  • devtrackerdevtracker Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    With a game that has a history of more stability, this might be a sound point, but it completely ignores the fact that for months on end last year, STO was plagued by constant server not responding messages and dropoffs to the point where a lot of people could barely stay logged into the game for longer than 2-3 minutes at a time. It is not a 'sense of entitlement' to simply want to play the game you want to play. This development team does not have a particularly good history with that.

Hey man, I get it. I wish I was in game playing too. I've put in a full week's work just like you(I'm assuming you work, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), and I'm totally ready to enjoy the weekend with some STO. And yes, its a bummer that the game is down right now. But here is the difference in our situations: you seem to think its some kind of big deal that you cant play a video game right now, while I dont. All I can say is that you are very lucky if that is what you consider a big deal, because I have much more unpleasant things that fit that category for me.
  • taz6382taztaz6382taz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    alpharat wrote: »
    I am learning quickly about this Pentium 4 Dell laptop (the server) sitting in someone's garage..dad unplugged it to use the table saw..I get it now..

Yes that was me sorry. dont know how to plug it back in
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Still down... Ok, Episode 4.6 of Justified then...
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • kawasakizx10rrkawasakizx10rr Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    its been hours. i don't think im going to get a chance to play it tonight. that's one day extra on my event deadline now :confused:
    yEt6JSa.gifMEANWHILE AT THE CRYPTIC HEADQUARTERS
  • wereleywereley Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Can we get an ETA? Throw us a freaking bone, wife is out of town and I'm bored to tears! Need my Trek fix.
  • brhsfnladvisbrhsfnladvis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    OK so it's just a user, not a mod or dev making statements like that. This information is good to know. Thanks.

The information they are getting is from the STO twitter feed, Which is located here: https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    O dear, i go to work at 3pm GMT after playing for a few hours, come home at 1am GMT and its broken....!!!!!!!.... o well of to bed me thinks.

PS anyone else using steam been having problems loading the launcher since last patch......
  • onyxmonolithonyxmonolith Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    plb1982 wrote: »
    What an awful comparison, for multiple reasons:

A) A one-time service is different than an ongoing one. PWE isn't in business to make a game and sell it, but rather to keep selling and servicing it.
    B) You have no idea that PWE has performed their work properly and with a high degree of workmanship.
    C) You have no idea whether or not they had no degree of control over this.

This.

If PWE produced a Star Wars game in disc form and you (or the dog or your brother or whatever) subsequently destroyed the disc and then you called PWE and pitched a fit about your destroyed disc, this insanity would match the broken fence analogy.

But PWE or Cryptic or whoever charges money to provide a service and part of the service they provide is to have a usable product ready for us to use whenever we choose to use it. That is their side of the implicit bargain on this - unless they've told us in advance that the product will not be there.

It is not a sense of 'entitlement' on the side of the consumer to have a reasonable expectation that the people who make that implicit agreement with you will provide the service you contracted them to provide when you decide it is time to use the service.

A more apropos analogy would be if you contracted Triple A to provide roadside assistance to you, but when you called Triple A when you have a flat, the number is either down or Triple A tells you that the guy who they use in your area is on another call and it will be several hours before they can get to you.
  • sydusgreysydusgrey Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    by chance are the servers fixed yet and if so is there a patch or will it just log in?
  • ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That passion is a unifying characteristic, and one to be celebrated.

Here you go!

> Passion <
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
  • mushariagainmushariagain Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    *sigh* I bet the Borg don't have these kinds of issues... I'm off to join the collective, enough is enough... -.-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not THAT difficult to please, I just have a very low tolerance threshold for stupid BS! - George Carlin.
  • skylarcometskylarcomet Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    casbyness wrote: »
    Because of the tech tech and...quantum. Plus Tribble is shielded from interferometric particles.

Is it possible that the Tribble Server is hosted elsewhere? Maybe they intentionally keep test servers and live servers away from each other?

*shrug*
    >:)ruff, meow, moo, whatever.... *shrug*
    [ Still Waiting for a Shiny New T6 Romulan Science Ship to Command ]
  • noshufflenoshuffle Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Let's pretend that you, being self-employed, operate a fence building company.

A customer calls you for a quote to fence in their back yard. You arrive, perform the quote, they approve it and contract you to install a simple chain link fence enclosing their back yard. After two or three days of work you complete the project and collect payment.

A week goes by, and then you receive a phone call in the morning from the customer who is angry. During the night vandal(s) unknown defaced/damaged/destroyed the fence, causing the coyotes from the woods yonder to wander into their yard and ravage their garbage receptacles.

You would, in all probability, think that they're nuts for calling you and demanding you repair the fence free of charge. The work was performed properly and with a high degree of workmanship, nevertheless, your customer is upset with YOU for something that you had no degree of control over.

And so it is with STO being offline. ARC/Cryptic/John de Lancie/whoever is not at fault here.

Stuff happens, and sometimes you can't blame anybody (although in the above example I gave you would rightly blame the vandal(s)).

Yes it is. Au contrair the example you are giving, PWE is able to set up a system that is redundant, meaning that one fails, the second system is taking over at the point where the other failed. Giving such themselves the time to fix the issues on the failing system, while these problems have no impact on the "daily" working. They have made a profit of 34 million dollars over the last year, then you should believe that they can afford a redundant server. You can discus the cost of it, agreed, but outages like these cost them more then only the man hours they are spending now on fixing the server. Trust is gone in the company, gamers can't spend their time and eventually money at this moment. It's a choice they have to make once, but I shouldn't wait too long with it.
    OK, if I have to stay here for a while, your cieling ... looks idious.:D
  • uppercaseplzuppercaseplz Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    plb1982 wrote: »
    What an awful comparison, for multiple reasons:

A) A one-time service is different than an ongoing one. PWE isn't in business to make a game and sell it, but rather to keep selling and servicing it.
    B) You have no idea that PWE has performed their work properly and with a high degree of workmanship.
    C) You have no idea whether or not they had no degree of control over this.

You're putting up a strawman argument.

a) Of course a one-time service is different from an ongoing one. The premise is the precise same, however: You were paid to perform a service with no guarantee of eternal functionality (and if there's a company out there that offers chain-link fence insurance, I will gladly stand corrected on the matter).
    b) Given how successful Perfect World is as a corporation, it stands to reason that they have nothing to gain and everything to lose by NOT performing their work properly and with a high degree of workmanship.
    c) What possible logic could there be in "they", whomsoever they are, deliberately causing an hours-long service disruption?
    The Borg have it all wrong. Resistance is not futile. Resistance is electromotive force over current. Hasn't the Borg Queen ever heard of Ohm's frickin' Law?
    edited March 2014
    The information they are getting is from the STO twitter feed, Which is located here: https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame

I don't see anything on that twitter page that resembles what I've read in this thread as attributable to a "devtracker."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • br8denbr8den Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Could you site a reference for you definition of entitlement, cuz I think you WRONG
    ull Definition of ENTITLEMENT

a : the state or condition of being entitled : right

b : a right to benefits specified especially by law or contract

: a government program providing benefits to members of a specified group; also : funds supporting or distributed by such a program

: belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges [SUCH AS BEING ABLE TO PLAY STO WHENEVER YOU WANT.]
  • onyxmonolithonyxmonolith Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    devtracker wrote: »
    Hey man, I get it. I wish I was in game playing too. I've put in a full week's work just like you(I'm assuming you work, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), and I'm totally ready to enjoy the weekend with some STO. And yes, its a bummer that the game is down right now. But here is the difference in our situations: you seem to think its some kind of big deal that you cant play a video game right now, while I dont. All I can say is that you are very lucky if that is what you consider a big deal, because I have much more unpleasant things that fit that category for me.

I think it's a big enough deal to spend a few minutes posting about it on a message board, yes, mainly because this is the very time I allotted to be playing said game, which means I don't really have much else to do right now. That, however, doesn't mean that I'm frothing at the mouth about it. It just means that I'm annoyed that the people I pay money to provide me a service aren't providing the service.
  • wereleywereley Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Engineer's stuck in traffic? See something shiney in the parking lot? LOL JK
  • kianazerokianazero Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    gr4v1t4r wrote: »
    Tsk tsk,babes+power can only mean-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5bYDhZBFLA

I've prefered Rei Ayanami's power of touch.
This discussion has been closed.