What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Outage (3/21/14) [Resolved!]

Comments

• Options
    xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It is not "I want people to provide the service that they are paid very well to provide."

^
    That.
  • Options
    raiderzenigmanraiderzenigman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Soo with all the GabGabba Gab Anyone know When the servers will be up, or how to find out,,, i keep being Redirected to ARC,, which doesnt do me any good ,, well cept to get in this Gab forum.
  • Options
    thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tuxisius wrote: »
    What specifically is this one problem they have had three times in a row?

A network hardware routing error that has exactly the same pathology as the previous two times this happened last year of which there are two threads for March and May 2013 that I linked earlier.

It has nothing to do with servers by the way, but most likely hardware that sits in-between.

Either way redundancy should mean that you have 2 or 3 backups for a piece of hardware where possible.

Have you ever got a 404 from www.google.com due to a problem on their end? I doubt it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Let's pretend that you, being self-employed, operate a fence building company.

A customer calls you for a quote to fence in their back yard. You arrive, perform the quote, they approve it and contract you to install a simple chain link fence enclosing their back yard. After two or three days of work you complete the project and collect payment.

A week goes by, and then you receive a phone call in the morning from the customer who is angry. During the night vandal(s) unknown defaced/damaged/destroyed the fence, causing the coyotes from the woods yonder to wander into their yard and ravage their garbage receptacles.

You would, in all probability, think that they're nuts for calling you and demanding you repair the fence free of charge. The work was performed properly and with a high degree of workmanship, nevertheless, your customer is upset with YOU for something that you had no degree of control over.

And so it is with STO being offline. ARC/Cryptic/John de Lancie/whoever is not at fault here.

Stuff happens, and sometimes you can't blame anybody (although in the above example I gave you would rightly blame the vandal(s)).

Bad analogy. A better one would be if you were contracted to maintain the fence and the customer got upset that it was destroyed.

Who the hell gets contracted to maintain a backyard fence though?
  • Options
    getsgreasedgetsgreased Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tuxisius wrote: »
    What specifically is this one problem they have had three times in a row?

It appears the troubles began with the patch server. Couldn't get to logon screen for several hours. Then, when that server had been fixed and the logon window appeared, you could get all the way to the current roadblock with the logon server.

For all we know, the sudden rush of everyone hitting it at once caused it to explode. Now STO times out trying to connect to it.

It will be fixed when it's fixed. Not a second before.
  • Options
    gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'll go look for the magical server fairy that makes sure servers don't crash as I can promise you that all servers crash. In every sense of the way. Okay, they change servers, they will still eventually crash. You're asking for flawless server in which case, is impossible. Every where I have been that has used servers have crashed multiple times a year. So keep on livin' in your dream world of magical servers.

Indeed, which is why most companies prepare for that scenario, ever heard of redundancy? A flawless server is impossible to guarantee, a flawless service is not (certain natural disasters, outbreaks of war etc. not taken into account of course). Ever heard of redundancy? The thing is that it costs money, and it apparently is an investment Cryptic/PWE is either unable or unwilling to make. Now that in itself is perfectly fine, but don't pretend like problems like this *have* to affect the players/customers, because it is simply not true.
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    It's a twitter repost? By whom?

devtracker is just a user not anything special.

It's not I haven't seen anything like that being posted by either NW or STO's twitter (especially considering the character limit is 140 hehe)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edited March 2014
    It's a twitter repost? By whom?

Almost all the devs have twitters, the word on the street is that it's the best way to keep in track and even get in touch with them
  • Options
    plb1982plb1982 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You would, in all probability, think that they're nuts for calling you and demanding you repair the fence free of charge. The work was performed properly and with a high degree of workmanship, nevertheless, your customer is upset with YOU for something that you had no degree of control over.

And so it is with STO being offline. ARC/Cryptic/John de Lancie/whoever is not at fault here.

What an awful comparison, for multiple reasons:

A) A one-time service is different than an ongoing one. PWE isn't in business to make a game and sell it, but rather to keep selling and servicing it.
    B) You have no idea that PWE has performed their work properly and with a high degree of workmanship.
    C) You have no idea whether or not they had no degree of control over this.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It will be back up when the techs give the green light.

I'm disappointed as the rest, but gotta have patience.
  • Options
    eldritchdrakeeldritchdrake Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    ^
    That.

And they're trying to. But stuff happened and currently cannot. Then the customer threw a fit, spilled his milk and now the terrorist are attacking and their favorite TV show got cancelled, they didn't get that job promotion all because of Cryptic. Oh and they did it, they really did it, they blew it all up!
  • Options
    mobiusnp118mobiusnp118 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I believe an earlier comment was that this was the eastern server so it would affect NYC. I'm about 1-2 hours north of you and I'm also affected.
    I'm in Central time, and still STO servers are down.
  • Options
    k0rsak0fk0rsak0f Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    so nothing there is free except in the way that you think it. :)

oke mister..

who his choice is it to place / use a sun screen ?
    and who poisens the air. we do that. the air remains free as does the sun.
    meaning that your hammer is missing the nail.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    askray wrote: »
    devtracker is just a user not anything special.

It's not I haven't seen anything like that being posted by either NW or STO's twitter (especially considering the character limit is 140 hehe)

OK so it's just a user, not a mod or dev making statements like that. This information is good to know. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2014

I'm disappointed as the rest, but gotta have patience.

*hands oldravenman a cookie*... that's the spirit!
  • Options
    thisisimposiblethisisimposible Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    br8den wrote: »
    Qnyx, you are describing entitlement exactly. "It is not a 'sense of entitlement' to simply want to play the game you want to play" YES! That is entitlement.

Could you site a reference for you definition of entitlement, cuz I think you WRONG
  • Options
    thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's not a game server issue it's a network hardware issue.

Guys keep up. I've already linked the previous two identical instances this occurred before. Anyways look the game won't be back till tomorrow so just let go of your frustration and get some sleep.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sure it's not a DDOS attack? a few MMOs have been hit at varying times with them
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Almost all the devs have twitters, the word on the street is that it's the best way to keep in track and even get in touch with them

Sigh, you are being trolled by this person.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    this is the sort of thing I was talking about in another thread. they don't do a patch this week( and we all know this game has plenty that needs fixed) then soon after it all come crashing down.

but this time I think it all started in the foundry and/or chat systems. since they are what started acting up and hour or so before this outage. kicking from the game when you tried to load screen then a series of different error messages like GS error and RS error.

and I also don't like updates via facebook and twitter. I don't use either of those services and not plans to. if that's how they want to send us updates why even bother with the forums at all?
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    gr4v1t4r wrote: »
    Indeed, which is why most companies prepare for that scenario, ever heard of redundancy? A flawless server is impossible to guarantee, a flawless service is not (certain natural disasters, outbreaks of war etc. not taken into account of course). Ever heard of redundancy? The thing is that it costs money, and it apparently is an investment Cryptic/PWE is either unable or unwilling to make. Now that in itself is perfectly fine, but don't pretend like problems like this *have* to affect the players/customers, because it is simply not true.
    redundant question is redundant
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Server lag just means on the backend they need to flush old data cache so in other words clean out the junk code and defrag and reboot/powercycle the servers.

They should do this on off peak times if such times do exist on this STO. I had mine on all day yesterday and into the this early morning while I was sleeping in my chair next to PC. I can see day, evening, night and early morning sun rise.

This afternoon I did finally get a chance to get some real sleep but found that the servers are still down since 6pm my time like some 3 hrs ago. I hope they can get the servers backup and running.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    eldritchdrakeeldritchdrake Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    redundant question is redundant
    I'll sell you a car at twice the price but only give you one. If that one ever breaks down I'll give you the other one.
  • Options
    devtrackerdevtracker Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    With a game that has a history of more stability, this might be a sound point, but it completely ignores the fact that for months on end last year, STO was plagued by constant server not responding messages and dropoffs to the point where a lot of people could barely stay logged into the game for longer than 2-3 minutes at a time. It is not a 'sense of entitlement' to simply want to play the game you want to play. This development team does not have a particularly good history with that.

Hey man, I get it. I wish I was in game playing too. I've put in a full week's work just like you(I'm assuming you work, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), and I'm totally ready to enjoy the weekend with some STO. And yes, its a bummer that the game is down right now. But here is the difference in our situations: you seem to think its some kind of big deal that you cant play a video game right now, while I dont. All I can say is that you are very lucky if that is what you consider a big deal, because I have much more unpleasant things that fit that category for me.
  • Options
    taz6382taztaz6382taz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    alpharat wrote: »
    I am learning quickly about this Pentium 4 Dell laptop (the server) sitting in someone's garage..dad unplugged it to use the table saw..I get it now..

Yes that was me sorry. dont know how to plug it back in
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Still down... Ok, Episode 4.6 of Justified then...
  • Options
    kawasakizx10rrkawasakizx10rr Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    its been hours. i don't think im going to get a chance to play it tonight. that's one day extra on my event deadline now :confused:
    yEt6JSa.gifMEANWHILE AT THE CRYPTIC HEADQUARTERS
  • Options
    wereleywereley Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Can we get an ETA? Throw us a freaking bone, wife is out of town and I'm bored to tears! Need my Trek fix.
  • Options
    brhsfnladvisbrhsfnladvis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    OK so it's just a user, not a mod or dev making statements like that. This information is good to know. Thanks.

The information they are getting is from the STO twitter feed, Which is located here: https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    O dear, i go to work at 3pm GMT after playing for a few hours, come home at 1am GMT and its broken....!!!!!!!.... o well of to bed me thinks.

PS anyone else using steam been having problems loading the launcher since last patch......
This discussion has been closed.