test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Outage (3/21/14) [Resolved!]

Comments

• kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's on the star date calendar for 2409.

When I shake my magic 8-ball and ask, "Will it be out of Beta," I get the answer of "Chances are unpredictable."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mushariagainmushariagain Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No wonder the devs never visit.

I would imagine that five minutes on this forum result in floods of noisy tears among Cryptic staff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not THAT difficult to please, I just have a very low tolerance threshold for stupid BS! - George Carlin.
  • eldritchdrakeeldritchdrake Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No wonder the devs never visit.

I miss City of Heroes where the devs frequently visited and chatted to the players.
  • devtrackerdevtracker Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Except the one moment when Cryptic tries to support Foundry and promote it is lost forever. Maybe in another 3 years...

Your point is valid, and yes I am disappoint.
    edited March 2014
    When I shake my magic 8-ball and ask, "Will it be out of Beta," I get the answer of "Chances are unpredictable."

Ah, yeah, you shook the wrong ball. *passes over the magic Q-ball*

...see what I did there?
  • uppercaseplzuppercaseplz Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    krenzik wrote: »
    I think you're confusing "I wanna sue!" with "This is crappy business." Is your husband a cryptic dev working on the game? Or are you just a fan who hopes they'll give you stuff. I don't expect compensation for this bs server crash or whatever it is but as a customer who has either subscribed or frequently spent money on this game, I'm entitled to think this is bad business and I should expect to be able to log in without hours-long crashes.

btw, on a side note, STO has a better track record with stability than many other mmo's i've played over the last couple years.

Now, to sum up: quit kissing cryptics posterior.

Last June I got into an automobile collision. The particulars of how it occurred is irrelevent.

When you get behind the wheel of a vehicle, there is an inherent risk of injury/damage that just goes with driving. I pay insurance, registration and all the other costs associated with being allowed (entitled, if you will) to drive my vehicle, but nevertheless disaster can, and on occasion, will happen.

If you want to draw inferences on my life or motives because you disagree with my perspective then that's fine, I just wanted to once more try to illustrate that, despite what you might think your dollar entitles you to, you can't always get what you want (Rolling Stones, anyone?).
    The Borg have it all wrong. Resistance is not futile. Resistance is electromotive force over current. Hasn't the Borg Queen ever heard of Ohm's frickin' Law?
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    cincsac wrote: »
    Over 1500 replies to this thread and 92k + views.

It seems quite a few people are actively interested in what's going on. Yet the level of engagement from Cryptic's "Community Management/Relations" has been rather negligible.

It would be nice to get regular updates, even if there were no significant changes, if only to show active involvement with your Community, Cryptic. :rolleyes:

We are all mushrooms,,,,,,,kept in the dark and fed on ----,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  • br8denbr8den Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The tweets, the official responses from STO, have advised it may be a hardware issue. I wonder if some poor tech is removing fried parts from the server for replacement.
    edited March 2014
    Ah, yeah, you shook the wrong ball. *passes over the magic Q-ball*

...see what I did there?

What you did? You mean, making everything all-white?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not THAT difficult to please, I just have a very low tolerance threshold for stupid BS! - George Carlin.
  • thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm more shocked that it is taking this long to fix it. At this rate it is going to be 12h+ downtime

Why are you shocked, 24 hours is the norm for Cryptic on these types of outages.

If they fix it in 12 it'll be a pretty good achievement by their standards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't see anything on that twitter page that resembles what I've read in this thread as attributable to a "devtracker."

Devtracker is probably an app or name for the collects tweets from the STO dev group. And for the record, I haven't ever talked to a dev on twitter and scarcely have time to give a glance over when I'm there. Then it's possible perhaps you're trying to troll me. In that case... Ignored! :cool:
  • onyxmonolithonyxmonolith Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    solochris wrote: »
    ok just had to say this, you do realise that what you said and what the guy you quoted said was basically the same. your analogy implies something outwith the control of AAA. which I believe was one of the points the guy you are replying to made. There is an unspoken/unwritten clause in an online service that all parties know. Sometimes the internet is $%^& and doesn't work, servers can go down, there could be a power out in the area where the servers are held, some nasty little kid could have uploaded a virus or any number of other issues. it is IMMPOSSIBLE to guarantee 100% service 24/7 365 on an online service. You know this, we all know it, we all get annoyed when it happens but it WILL happen.

ok now any update on when it will be working again anyone?

Not at all. The difference is that in the fence example, the person who built the fence provided the service he was paid to provide. Then the product he provided was subsequently destroyed by some outside force, meaning his customer has no reasonable expectation that he will provide a new one. In this case or my Triple A example, the person contracted to provide the service is failing to provide the service they were contracted to provide. How you, as the customer, choose to deal with it is completely up to you. But expecting someone to never comment at all if someone fails to do what you have paid them money to do is pretty unreasonable in my opinion. And acting like they are in the midst of some sort of rage fit because they bring up the fact that, 'hey, totally failing to provide the service they agreed to provide,' is pretty ridiculous.
  • austg76austg76 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Troubleshooters, any news from the Realm?"

I know they are busy with the "Hardware issue" but i think it would help a bit to keep up somewhat updated. Just to come on and say we are still working on it would help a little.
    What a World...Server Crash...Respawn....borg Invades ...Respawn...
    edited March 2014
    Last June I got into an automobile collision. The particulars of how it occurred is irrelevent.

When you get behind the wheel of a vehicle, there is an inherent risk of injury/damage that just goes with driving. I pay insurance, registration and all the other costs associated with being allowed (entitled, if you will) to drive my vehicle, but nevertheless disaster can, and on occasion, will happen.

If you want to draw inferences on my life or motives because you disagree with my perspective then that's fine, I just wanted to once more try to illustrate that, despite what you might think your dollar entitles you to, you can't always get what you want (Rolling Stones, anyone?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a7cHPy04s8
  • solochrissolochris Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just everywhere, except for on Vulcan and Andoria for some reason.

props for brilliant come back to the question of is this just my area or anywhere else :D
  • plb1982plb1982 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You're putting up a strawman argument.

a) Of course a one-time service is different from an ongoing one. The premise is the precise same, however: You were paid to perform a service with no guarantee of eternal functionality (and if there's a company out there that offers chain-link fence insurance, I will gladly stand corrected on the matter).
    b) Given how successful Perfect World is as a corporation, it stands to reason that they have nothing to gain and everything to lose by NOT performing their work properly and with a high degree of workmanship.
    c) What possible logic could there be in "they", whomsoever they are, deliberately causing an hours-long service disruption?

...Do you even know what a "straw man" is? I made an argument directly against what he was claiming, which is the EXACT OPPOSITE of a straw man.

And you your points:

A) The premise is in NO WAY the same. I've worked in sales, and I've done straight "here you go" contracts, and I've put together service & maintenance contracts. The premise of the two are very, very different. And- Oh my God, talk about a straw man- when did I EVER say anything remotely resembling the phrase "eternal functionality"?

B) Serioulsy? Let me give you a crash course in business: comapnies exist to make money, and decisions are constanly made to cut corners and put costs off until down the road. It's not a great long-term strategy, but it happens every day, and I have no reason to believe PWE isnt capable of making such decisions.

C) Well.. since you brought up straw men, you're going to learn what they are before the night is over, because this is another one. I never said they were "deliberately causing an hours-long service disruption" (and when you make an argumetn against something I didn't say, THAT is called a "straw man"). What I said was: "you have no idea whether or not they had any degree of control over this." If your engine blows up because you didn't want to spend the money to change the oil out, it doesn't mean you deliberately caused it, but you dang sure had a "degree of control."
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    br8den wrote: »
    The tweets, the official responses from STO, have advised it may be a hardware issue. I wonder if some poor tech is removing fried parts from the server for replacement.

If that is the case, it would be nice to be told that is is fried hardware, and what that hardware is, plus some speculation as to why it is fried.
    edited March 2014
    What you did? You mean, making everything all-white?

Cue...Q...it's not funny if you have to explain...
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hey everyone, thank you for your patience. We're going to continue working on the network issue at hand. We wanted to let you know that we're extending the Mirror Event. We're sorry for any inconvenience this has been for all of you. More information will follow with later updates.

I'll let you know as soon as I have additional information. All of us here are doing everything we can to get things back to normal.

Thank you again,

Your trust CM ~LaughingTrendy
    edited March 2014
    Cue...Q...it's not funny if you have to explain...

I agree. O.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• sydusgreysydusgrey Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well like I said before if they followed in the steps of Second Life they will hardly ever if at all have servers that go down.
  • kawasakizx10rrkawasakizx10rr Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    khaaaaaaaaaaaan
    yEt6JSa.gifMEANWHILE AT THE CRYPTIC HEADQUARTERS
  • solochrissolochris Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why are you shocked, 24 hours is the norm for Cryptic on these types of outages.

If they fix it in 12 it'll be a pretty good achievement by their standards.

oh come on, they aint that bad. I been on and off this game since 2012, and champions online for that matter and the worst downtime I seen was like 12 1/2 hours not 24. I would say on average the ones I seen of this type are fixed in 6 hours so this must be bad one if im honest
  • austg76austg76 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hey everyone, thank you for your patience. We're going to continue working on the network issue at hand. We wanted to let you know that we're extending the Mirror Event. We're sorry for any inconvenience this has been for all of you. More information will follow with later updates.

I'll let you know as soon as I have additional information. All of us here are doing everything we can to get things back to normal.

Thank you again,

Thank you for the update
    What a World...Server Crash...Respawn....borg Invades ...Respawn...
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Still down. Went to see a few series in-between. It's getting past the point of being funny. :(
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • korunlonkorunlon Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    br8den wrote: »

Lol, I wonder if their "Removing" the poor person who got fried working on the server.:P
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    Devtracker is probably an app or name for the collects tweets from the STO dev group. And for the record, I haven't ever talked to a dev on twitter and scarcely have time to give a glance over when I'm there. Then it's possible perhaps you're trying to troll me. In that case... Ignored! :cool:

I'm not trying to troll you. Show me an instance that makes any of this legit, before people react to a user as if it is a statement by a dev. That is all I ask.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Thank you again,

Great to hear, thanks! Now I'm off to dinner ^^
  • stelakkhstelakkh Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Perhaps the definition of "misconception" would be more pertinent.

You do realise that your remark itself could be construed as passive/aggressive... perhaps it would be advisable to look up after all :D, however I'm not prepared to qualify it as such without actually knowing for sure what it is you are trying to convey as that would be unfair on you :D

Of course the idea of applying a label to someone in order to stereotype them into a group or pattern of thought that you deem negative or that you deem would be useful to assign to them in order that others may see it as negative within the cultural normative bounds you expect from the people within the debate in order to cast aspersions on an individual and the views they hold is a rather blunt and obvious implement. :o

I'm not sure what my wife will say, but I think I just fell in love with you for that. LMAO
    Actual Join Date: August, 2008
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Thank you again,

YAY, thank you.
This discussion has been closed.