What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Outage (3/21/14) [Resolved!]

Comments

• Options
    thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How dare they have a hardware failure! I mean I know for a fact you've never made three mistakes in your life. If you had you should be fired and no one should ever hire you again. You'd have to be some sorta disgusting hypocrite.

It is when it's the same problem 3 times.

In the world of IT the importance of redundant systems is key to uptime. If Cryptic or the people they use to manage their servers haven't grasped this after 3 consistent failures then yes there is a problem.

I very rarely make the same mistake twice, let alone three times. If I was to make the same mistake three times with the same client
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    kargandarrkargandarr Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It isn't arc's fault. The computer that I am using does not have arc installed and I cannot access sto.
  • Options
    eldritchdrakeeldritchdrake Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    seimaj wrote: »
    I FIGURED OUT WHAT IS WRONG!!!!! They allowed mac's to play........ HAHAHAHAHA I hate apple :P sorry sorry :) just playing lol

An apple a day...kills you. They just couldn't listen to Snow White.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think this is the way Cryptic needs to handle the servers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPruGs4IyK4
    Cryptic = Jim Carrey
    The servers = those guys
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    omygerd HBO rocks.

There's blue sky outside too. A little chilly, and my white skin burns a bit.

I'm having this weird sensation, like I've left the stove on or theres some dilithium not being picked up.

No PM's from friends. No disparaging remarks from my fleet.

Gawd. I miss my fleet.

And NOW I'm seriously considering Elite Phasers. I know, I know, it's wrong. It''s the withdrawls.
  • Options
    ambientlanceambientlance Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    roujin346 wrote: »
    Can't log in and have tried several times. I'm in NYC, is this anywhere else?

I believe an earlier comment was that this was the eastern server so it would affect NYC. I'm about 1-2 hours north of you and I'm also affected.
  • Options
    gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How dare they have a hardware failure! I mean I know for a fact you've never made three mistakes in your life. If you had you should be fired and no one should ever hire you again. You'd have to be some sorta disgusting hypocrite.

He said 3 failures in a year, your talking about 3 in your life, not really the same timeframe eh? But I suppose as a good old CDF'er you're entitled to bend things a little if that makes it easier to dispute a statement, eh?
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    plb1982plb1982 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Your sarcasm is noted, but I would like to point out that people very often do (rightfully so, I might add) get fired for mistakes... mistakes that INCLUDE not being prepared for hardware failures.

We dont' know all the details. It's premature to attack PWE and assume that this was: A) something that could've/should've been prevented with proper attention and maintenance, or B) an issue that one could reasonably expect an online gaming company to have a response/backup plan for. HOWEVER, it's also premature to jump in and defend them. It's quite possible that this issue was created by their own negligence. It's quite possible that it was a random act of God. I wouldn't be so quick to cast my lot either way.
  • Options
    k0rsak0fk0rsak0f Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    as every one knows its down. and thy work hard to get it up again.

things like that happen. how often have you missed the bus because it had a problem
    or even better. how often others could not enjoy something because you missed your appointment..

so we have no right to be angry. and im sure thy will solve all the other problems that this problem has caused

just show them some appreciation if thy have fixed it.
  • Options
    xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    k0rsak0f wrote: »
    i like you already.
    but.
    the sun comes up for free. ...except you need to pay for the sunscreen to enjoy it.the sun burns for free. ... except we pay the electric company anyway for it.the air you breath is free. ... except it's getting polluted to the point it will likely shorten your lifespan so the hospital bills can finish the job.

so nothing there is free except in the way that you think it. :)
  • Options
    onyxmonolithonyxmonolith Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    devtracker wrote: »
    Nothing can ever be perfect. However, this game is online 95%(maybe more) of the time, and on a day when they are having some kind of technical problems, people act like they have been slapped in the face. There is simply no limit to the sense of entitlement some people have.

With a game that has a history of more stability, this might be a sound point, but it completely ignores the fact that for months on end last year, STO was plagued by constant server not responding messages and dropoffs to the point where a lot of people could barely stay logged into the game for longer than 2-3 minutes at a time. It is not a 'sense of entitlement' to simply want to play the game you want to play. This development team does not have a particularly good history with that.
  • Options
    shenadrenshenadren Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    casbyness wrote: »
    We used to. Then the Perfectworld flooded and we all escaped on the ARC.

Biblical Reference: +1
    Biblical Reference on a game that is based on a show that disproved any and all current religious beliefs: +10000
  • Options
    brwjames85brwjames85 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    I've been fighting for six plus months to get STO working for me enough to be able to get in game and finally my persistence (and a fair upload of pics) got them to give me the teaks that let the game partially function for the last 2 days. 2 DAYS! out of six months of brain wreck. So don't tell me about entitlement, I just want to be able to do what everyone else can, when they can do it.

my machine is 6yo, and i never had any issues playing, so my guess is your machine is even older, you're talking more TRIBBLE then an entire government, or you're just incompetent. Your choice. Don't go blaming others with exagerated stories disguising your own failures
    Finally, T6 Fleet sovy! My life is complete!
  • Options
    joel1974joel1974 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Seems to be everywhere. I've been trying since 9am this morning (I'm in Australia), and it's now 12.15pm. I'll just do some other things today. I know I'll continue to check, as I want to play the game.
  • Options
    genysxgenysx Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am on the other side of the country. Um And as far as I see its hitting pac time people too.
  • Options
    tcgrandpa#3038 tcgrandpa Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the planet earth can not connect to pwe's game client log in server from any point.

at least on the wan side, not sure about the lan side but guessing so ;)
  • Options
    eldritchdrakeeldritchdrake Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2014

In the world of IT the importance of redundant systems is key to uptime. If Cryptic or the people they use to manage their servers haven't grasped this after 3 consistent failures then yes there is a problem.

I very rarely make the same mistake twice, let alone three times. If I was to make the same mistake three times with the same client
  • Options
    k0rsak0fk0rsak0f Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2014

if you read than you know there are some problems.. its not local
  • Options
    tuxisiustuxisius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

• Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just to clarify, where is this "devtracker" stuff coming from? I don't see the original posts in the thread and I don't see the mods actually making statements like that.

Edit: nevermind, got confused.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rrasp wrote: »
    Is STO servers run from a frat house basement? Maybe someone spilt some beer on the server. Hey, it happens.

With the absolutely atrocious lag and rubberbanding I've been intermittently experiencing the past few days, along with pretty frequent disconnects and server not responding issues, I think so. It wasn't just bad lag, it was atrocious. I spent an entire mirror event rubberbanding so bad I wasn't even sure I was still flying near the station.
  • Options
    br8denbr8den Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Qnyx, you are describing entitlement exactly. "It is not a 'sense of entitlement' to simply want to play the game you want to play" YES! That is entitlement.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    brwjames85 wrote: »
    my machine is 6yo, and i never had any issues playing, so my guess is your machine is even older, you're talking more TRIBBLE then an entire government, or you're just incompetent. Your choice. Don't go blaming others with exagerated stories disguising your own failures

lol, too bad I can't post the post when tech support asked me for my Patience. :)
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cryptic should bring the servers back now.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    plb1982plb1982 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    k0rsak0f wrote: »
    things like that happen. how often have you missed the bus because it had a problem

or even better. how often others could not enjoy something because you missed your appointment..
    Apparently you make a habit of missing appointments. I do not. I'm actually not aware of a single time in my life that others could not enjoy something because I missed an appointment.

I don't take the bus, but, assuming I did, I would expect it to run on time, but I could forgive them for certain problems. If a meteor hits it... okay, not their fault, nothing they could do. If they run out of gas... totally their fault and I shouldn't have to forgive them.

We don't know if this was a meteor strike, or someone missed the gas light.
  • Options
    uppercaseplzuppercaseplz Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2014

The Borg have it all wrong. Resistance is not futile. Resistance is electromotive force over current. Hasn't the Borg Queen ever heard of Ohm's frickin' Law?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Just to clarify, where is this "devtracker" stuff coming from? I don't see the original posts in the thread and I don't see the mods actually making statements like that.

you should take up bird watching, those tweets can be a handful ;)
  • Options
    onyxmonolithonyxmonolith Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    br8den wrote: »
    Qnyx, you are describing entitlement exactly. "It is not a 'sense of entitlement' to simply want to play the game you want to play" YES! That is entitlement.

No, a sense of entitlement is "It is my god given right to do what I want to do when I want to do it."

It is not "I want people to provide the service that they are paid very well to provide."
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    you should take up bird watching, those tweets can be a handful ;)

It's a twitter repost? By whom?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zidanetribalzidanetribal Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited March 2014
This discussion has been closed.