• rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    twofatnuts wrote: »
    The most op thing about gal x is its tankiness

Sorry, i kind of zoned out after that.
  • shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    No way in hell - Borticus has said as much.

But then, his reading was selective and he decided to address the few people asking for a Cmdr Tactcial seat rather than the many who requested either Lt-Cmdr Tac or Lt-Cmdr Uni.

Oh, I know it won't happen. But it would be funny seeing people get a commander tac with absolutely no way to run aux2bat.

Just thinking about it is making me chuckle, if I'm honest.

Don't get me wrong, don't really have a problem with a2b flail at will boats. But at a guess I would say, hmmmm, probably half of the moaners want a com tac and either a lt com eng or 2 lt eng stations.

And why would they want that? {strokes beard, sups ale}.
    giphy.gif
  • chuxx500chuxx500 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's not a direct loss of money for Cryptic but rather a loss of potential profits that the
    OP was trying to point out.

Unfortunately, early reports from Tribble suggest that the Fleet Gal X won't be getting any Boff changes from the rebooted Z-Store version.

The Dev blog had stated that they were bringing the Gal X up to the standard of the other Dreadnoughts which I had hoped meant a Lt Commander and Ensign universal Boff stations would have been implemented in the fleet version as is present in the Bulwark and Scimitar Dreadnoughts.

Without such a Boff setup the Gal X is not good enough to warrant any purchases from me.

Without that then the package as a whole is not worth my money either so Cryptic has indeed lost the opportunity to cash in on me and maybe many more potential customers as well.

So how exactly could Cryptic have made a truckload of cash with this instead?

First, give the Fleet Gal X the Lt Com and Ens Uni stations which the Bulwark and Scimitar enjoy.

Next offer a 3 pack of specialized Galaxies.

Galaxy Operations: same basic stats as the Gal R and Fleet Gal but with a Uni Ens.

Rename the current Fleet Galaxy to Fleet Galaxy Operations to save people from having to buy that ship twice.

Galaxy Science: Lt Tac, Com Eng, Lt Eng, Lt Com Sci, Ens Uni.

Consoles; 2 Tac, 3 Eng, 4 Sci

Sensor Analysis

+10 Aux, +10 Shields

Fleet Sci adds 4th Eng console.

Galaxy Tactical: Lt Tac, Com Eng, Lt Com Eng, Ens Sci, Lt Uni.

Consoles; 3 Tac, 4 Eng, 2 Sci.

+10 Weapons, +10 Engines

Fleet Tac adds 3rd Sci Console.

None of these ships would come with a special console so pricing would reflect this.

These ships would come as a 3 pack for 4500 Zen.

They would also be available as a 5 pack which adds the Galaxy Refit and Retrofits for 6000 Zen.

Finally a 6 pack including the Gal X could be purchased for 7500 Zen.

I would have purchased the 6 pack if this is what they had offered as well as a few Fleet Ship Modules, so yes Cryptic IS losing money due to their disappointing decisions regarding this Reboot of an Iconic Star Trek ship.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I agree.

I, for one, am glad to see the shared cool downs on the three Team abilities go the way of the Dodo.

But judging by the responses from PvPers on the Tribble boards, the shared cool downs will return after a time. :rolleyes:

They may have to suck this one up.

(After a good night sleep) I think this to be an interesting change.

One of the major problems with our 'problem' ships is the boff seating.

As the game has matured, some of the older boff arrangements can get archaic and uncompetitive.

This change gives a lot more value to a single ensign boff slot, by allowing far more flexibility with those tier one powers.

I haven't gone and pored over the ship tables, but I also wonder if this may effect other, older ship sales a bit.

I know I'll be going over a few of my ships once this goes live to see what i can get out of it.
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    IMHO, I would rather see the Dreadnought come with 4 Tac, 2 SCI, and 3 ENG consoles in the 9 console variant. and then maybe 5/2/3 or 4/3/3 for the fleet variant.

It would make more sense with the Lance and make it more of an Alpha Strike ship.

Also, how about moving it to a lower tier fleet ship yard like 2 or 3. There is only one cruiser that's usable and that's the Fleet Excelsior at Tier 3. The rest suck from an offensive perspective.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• neo1nxneo1nx Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oh, I know it won't happen. But it would be funny seeing people get a commander tac with absolutely no way to run aux2bat.

Just thinking about it is making me chuckle, if I'm honest.

Don't get me wrong, don't really have a problem with a2b flail at will boats. But at a guess I would say, hmmmm, probably half of the moaners want a com tac and either a lt com eng or 2 lt eng stations.

And why would they want that? {strokes beard, sups ale}.

i don't want a commander tact, but you have to realize that even a commander tact would allow an auxtodamp build.
    wich is more tanky than a a2b build, and with canon + separation console and tier 4 nukara rep with aux, you will have much more firepower ( for pvp )
    note that a lt commander tact allow that as well.
  • galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cryptic for the Last time!! if you want the Fleet Galaxy X to sell you HAVE to give it at least a LTCMDR Tac seat. That one change will make every player that fly's Aux2bat cruisers buy it. You have the oppertunity to have a slam dunk in sales with this ship. I cannot understand the thinking behind the decision to release this ship the way it is. How can the leadership at Cryptic not see this? Its so obvious and there have been hundreds and hundred of posts and threads saying this. I guess they just don't like to release things that will make the players happy and generate sales.

I think I agree - which is why I think, cynically, it will never happen.

Why? Because Cryptic wants to sell us NEW SHIPS. It's where the money is. Honestly, I've been flying my Galaxy-R's the past few days with a cheapy A2B (no Marions) build, and it's FINE, though not stellar. (BUT it took me a WHILE to get it there - farming purple Doffs in B'Tran, a few RCS fleet Eng consoles... and I've STILL avoided the Fleet version)

The truth is, if I could find a Galaxy that was built like the Avenger for my Tac and Eng, and like the new Dyson for my Sci, I'd never fly another ship on my Feds. But hey, I'm old.

So that means I'd potentially never buy any other Fed ships. Which makes me a TERRIBLE customer - the credit card companies might call me a 'freeloader'. So they need to dangle that carrot (the ultimate ship for EVERYONE, the one everyone WANT to someday have) out of reach, possibly forever.

The idea of the "ANY" skin ship with a specific set of 'guts' (Boff/Console/Stats combos)? Absolutely great for us, absolutely the WORST idea for Cryptic - you buy your favorite 'skin' and favorite 'guts' and never buy anything again.

I suspect ships are less expensive than compelling content. And content is potentially more complex, with more moving parts (writing, art, voice, tech and continuity...) and thus, more time-consuming...

So marginal improvements at the periphery will continue to be the norm. When we get L60 ships, we'll see a skip up... and again be slightly disappointed with the Galaxy class ships - they'll never be the 'Best' because they would outshine all the other ships if they had even marginally above-average stats.

As it is, there are folks out there like me who fly her in spite of her mediocrity.
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    According to this blog the Galaxy-X (and nothing for the Galaxy-R) will be receiving an upgrade from an Ensign Tactical slot to an Ensign Universal slot. Whoop de doo. There's not much you can do with an ensign slot, universal or not.

Not to mention, this is not "up to par" with other dreadnoughts, as they all have a setup with both an ensign universal and lieutenant commander universal slot. Without that slot, I do not count the Galaxy-X "up to par" with other dreadnoughts.

The Scimitar, Bortasqu', Odyssey, and even the Veteran Reward Destroyers all have a bridge officer setup that includes: One Commander (fixed division) slot, one Lieutenant Commander Universal slot, one Lieutenant slot (fixed slot for each of the other two divisions), and one Ensign Universal slot. According to the blog, the Galaxy-X will still have this setup: Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Tactical, Lieutenant Science, and Ensign Universal.

Very sub-par compared to the bridge officer setup of other dreadnoughts. The addition of a hangar brings it up closer to the others (it's actually better in that aspect than the Odyssey and Bortasqu'), but that does not make up for the fact that it lacks the Lieutenant Commander Universal slot that other dreadnoughts have.

It's hard to feel like getting the bundle when it comes out if this stays the case, even though I would really like to get it.
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ...agreed...
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How is this "up to par with other dreadnoughts"?

It's Cryptic-speak. In Cryptic-speak, "It now sucks less than it did before" and "It's now up to par with other dreadnoughts" are equivalent and interchangeable. See "We're paying close attention to all your feedback" for clarification. :cool:
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Simple answer is, it's not. They could have done that with the Fleet version (since that would be more on par with the other ships you mentioned), but they didn't either.
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    theoryfive wrote: »
    According to this blog the Galaxy-X (and nothing for the Galaxy-R) will be receiving an upgrade from an Ensign Tactical slot to an Ensign Universal slot. Whoop de doo. There's not much you can do with an ensign slot, universal or not.

Not to mention, this is not "up to par" with other dreadnoughts, as they all have a setup with both an ensign universal and lieutenant commander universal slot. Without that slot, I do not count the Galaxy-X "up to par" with other dreadnoughts.

The Scimitar, Bortasqu', Odyssey, and even the Veteran Reward Destroyers all have a bridge officer setup that includes: One Commander (fixed division) slot, one Lieutenant Commander Universal slot, one Lieutenant slot (fixed slot for each of the other two divisions), and one Ensign Universal slot. According to the blog, the Galaxy-X will still have this setup: Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Tactical, Lieutenant Science, and Ensign Universal.

Very sub-par compared to the bridge officer setup of other dreadnoughts. The addition of a hangar brings it up closer to the others (it's actually better in that aspect than the Odyssey and Bortasqu'), but that does not make up for the fact that it lacks the Lieutenant Commander Universal slot that other dreadnoughts have.

It's hard to feel like getting the bundle when it comes out if this stays the case, even though I would really like to get it.

Erm, hate to nit pick, but those listed in red - are not Dreadnaughts.

Bortas and Oddy are "flagships", and the veteran ships are "destroyers" not dreadnaughts.

It's kinda like holding an apple and asking why it's not as easy to peel as a banana - because it's an apple, that's why.

The only dreadnaught class ships in game as far as I am aware are the Scimitar and Galaxy-X ships (And I thought the Scimitar was supposed to be a flagship like the Oddy and Bortas classes, go figure)
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    then just take the bulwark as example, also a dreadnought cruiser afaik:
    ltc uni
    lt uni

(there's the jem dread as well, and may others i'm not aware off right now)
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Interesting about the changes to the -Team skills. Both are independent of Aux power unlike TSS and Aux2SIF so will be more useful on all those A2B setups. ST has a shorter cooldown than TSS (and can be reduced further with doffs), to the point that over a cycle of a couple of minutes you could probably do more healing with ST than TSS (unless you're running a dedicated high-aux healboat). ET now makes those ships with 3 eng ensigns a bit more useful, since thats an ensign-level skill doing as big a hull heal as a shot of commander-level Aux2SIF3. In neither case do you get the resistance bonuses of course, but for an ensign-level power that can be used whenever and has no CD conflicts, that certainly enhances the usefulness.
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    why on earth do all you fanboys think the GX, a retrofitted design from decades ago into a role it was never designed for, should be on par with purpose built machines from the modern era that should replace and outclass it on every level?

It got the attention it's going to get. It's over. Stop with the spam.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    it isnt.
    The officer seating does not require a universal, but if it does not have it, it should be (cmdr tac, ltcmdr sci, ltcmdr eng, +?) similar to the rom DD layout. Or it needs the universal, as stated.

It also should have 5 up front, 3 in the back.

Conclusion: the avenger is your dreadnaught match, though that is not quite right. The new galaxy is a multimission ship, not bad, but it isnt a scimitar.
  • zurganuszurganus Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I honestly dont know what you all are getting so bent out of shape about. Those of you who think dps is the end all be all and if we arent doing numbers that are good enough for your parser we get called "bad players", I mean really, if you want to track dps go play a game that it matters. I personally play the game to have fun, I try to have the nicest gear I can as well, but the last thing I worry about is numbers. If I wanted to deal with numbers I would get a job at a bank. I come here to relax and spend time with like minded people (Those who enjoy Star Trek), not to wonder if "oh TRIBBLE my dps numbers arent as high as Cpt Nameless over there".

Just relax, let things flow. If you like the ship great, if you dont thats fine too. No one said you were being forced to fly it. Alot of people dont like the Avenger, yet I tank like a boss in my fleet Avenger. Does that make me bad for liking my ship? Not at all.
  • thelatathelata Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thanks for all the replies,do i get a lollipop? :D
    edited March 2014
    zurganus wrote: »
    I honestly dont know what you all are getting so bent out of shape about. Those of you who think dps is the end all be all and if we arent doing numbers that are good enough for your parser we get called "bad players", I mean really, if you want to track dps go play a game that it matters. I personally play the game to have fun, I try to have the nicest gear I can as well, but the last thing I worry about is numbers. If I wanted to deal with numbers I would get a job at a bank. I come here to relax and spend time with like minded people (Those who enjoy Star Trek), not to wonder if "oh TRIBBLE my dps numbers arent as high as Cpt Nameless over there".

Just relax, let things flow. If you like the ship great, if you dont thats fine too. No one said you were being forced to fly it. Alot of people dont like the Avenger, yet I tank like a boss in my fleet Avenger. Does that make me bad for liking my ship? Not at all.

I said something like this.... but forgot what thread it is in lol
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's ridiculous what we have to put up with.

Dstahl said he wanted to remove the sector block borders and make one large map. With smart autopiloting features so we could get from one end of sector space to the other. We obviously have access to the Delta Quadrant now, and the Dominion FE series introduced us to the Gamma Quadrant in a way we hadn't seen before.

So what is your problem with the Galaxy? We don't want to be caged in with artificial boundaries. The universe is a big place and we should be able to explore it.

We're explorers, conquerors, or... well... allies to explorers or conquerors.

Tear down these walls, give us the Galaxy we deserve.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This made me LoL. Thank you. +1.
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just want the Galaxy-R to be interesting to play. Which doesn't mean turning it into a tactical power house. And this being called a Galaxy Reboot you'd think they'd actually, you know, reboot all the Galaxy ships, not just one of them.
  • salynraydersalynrayder Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I see what you did there. Clever chap.
  • redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My issue with the Galaxy X has always been that you can equip beams cannons and Torps and or Mines and do not have the Boff seating to use more that one. You cant have THY and a BO, or a BO and a CRF etc, you care stuck with one weapon type ability. With a LTCMDR Tac you can have some beam and cannon abilities or some beam and Torp abilities. The ship as is is just so limited in it's offence that its pointless to buy it when you can get other ships with better turn rates more tac consoles and better Boff seating. I love the ship, It's the reason I purchased the game 3 years ago. Then once I bought the ship and tried to play with it I wanted my money back. When I saw that it was going to get a makeover I was overjoyed. Then when I read what they did it was like a kick to the groin.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What's the definition of heaven?
    The Italians do the cooking, the English do the paperwork and the Germans do traffic control.

What's the definition of hell?
    The English do the cooking, the Germans do the paperwork and the Italians do traffic control.

Sector Space is even worse because Cryptic has merged traffic into paperwork where you need pemission to pass from one place to another.

:P
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Well that got me, however this needs to be merged with the other Galaxy threads for an amusing confusion factor.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited March 2014
    take my like and +1 OP (if only we had those buttons here)

Now, go make more fun threads and liven this place up :D
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    Erm, hate to nit pick, but those listed in red - are not Dreadnaughts.

Bortas and Oddy are "flagships", and the veteran ships are "destroyers" not dreadnaughts.

It's kinda like holding an apple and asking why it's not as easy to peel as a banana - because it's an apple, that's why.

The only dreadnaught class ships in game as far as I am aware are the Scimitar and Galaxy-X ships (And I thought the Scimitar was supposed to be a flagship like the Oddy and Bortas classes, go figure)

It is not nitpicking if you are pointing out inaccuracies. That being the case:

For players the Odyssey falls under "Star Cruiser" (generally) and the Bortas/Bortasqu' under "Battle Cruiser" (generall) though the models for both are purportedly used in the game as "Dreadnoughts" according to sto.gamepedia.

As for the number of "Dreadnoughts", there are four ships with "Dreadnought" in their name and/or label:
    (1) The Scimitar (of which there are 3)
    (2) The Galaxy-X
    (3) The Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier
    (4) The Voth Bulwark Dreadnought Cruiser

Sans #2 all have 10 consoles and boosted shield output compared to other "1.0 mod" cruisers (which is the base cruiser shield value). And as #1 has 3 variants it we wanted to really nit-pick we could say that that technicality means there are six "playable Dreadnoughts" in the game right now.
  • atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Their bread and butter cash cow is the Jem'Hadar Attack ship. They would rather loose the IP than to stop using that ship as their cash cow. Hence why players like me with the Jem"Hadar Dreadnought carrier can't even get the carrier pet (when that's all I want) without having that cash cow...

anyway...

they'll be fine. They still have their JHAS as their cash cow.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    theoryfive wrote: »
    ... Not to mention, this is not "up to par" with other dreadnoughts, as they all have a setup with both an ensign universal and lieutenant commander universal slot. Without that slot, I do not count the Galaxy-X "up to par" with other dreadnoughts.

Correction my Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier does not have a universal Lieutenant Commander slot. Thank you for pointing this out to be, I will add it to my Sig
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.