What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Galaxy "Reboot" Feedback

Comments

• Options
    dabaddabadabaddaba Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've been following this thread for quite some time now cause I'd really like to buy the galaxy-x BUT i'd also like to invest my money on something worth it and not a ship with the same boff layout as other cruisers such as regent, excelsior or avenger.

Is there any hope the fleet galaxy x is going to have a different boff layout from the standard 9 console version? Something on the lines of the boff stations of the Tor'Kath maybe? After all the Vor'cha retrofit and the dreadnought cruiser share the same boff layout.

Any chance at all we could see a boff layout similar to the one of the D'D having 1 comm, 2ltcom and 1lt? Being an engineering heavy ship something like:

Lt com tac
    Comm eng
    Lt com eng

Lt sci

Probably not going to happen, but I can continue dreaming can't I? At least until the stats for the fleet version come out.

Other thing that comes to the eye reading the forum is the fact the lance had a terrible accuracy, any word about an improovement to the lance?
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I haven't really used Science Team in a long time...would it really be better than the regen and damage reduction of TSS?

It also clears de-buffs
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Exactly what I said in an earlier post. With most STF's lasting around two-three minutes, the chances are you'll be lucky to get one shot with the lance, because it'll still be on cooldown when the instance ends.

Yeah. Besides, who needs a tank anyway? Everyone is a tank! You show up in an eSTF, saying "Tada! I'm the tank!" Then ppl will just start laughing... at you, not with you.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rybaksix wrote: »
    Its not a dreadnought ... its a dread - not

rofl

nothing expresses my feelings for that ship better than this.. thx mate^^
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bones1970 wrote: »
    It also clears de-buffs

Before Tactical Team got its shield distrubtion function, Science Team was still primarily used for clearing debuffs, not as a heal. TSS worked just a bit better for that. It granted more healing, it gave it over time (which is good for keeping your shields up outside the innate 6-second regeneration cycle), and granted some shield damage reduction.

The de-buff clearance ability of ST is probably minor in PvE, but in PvP it could make a big difference, weakening the science role (a bit ironic, that a more useable science ability degrades the worth of science abilities).

(Of course, there was even a time, was it Season 1.2, where everythnig was even more different... Science Team stacked with itself, granted shield resistance, there were no GCDs, only the system cooldowns, and TSS and the Aux2X skills were utterly useless... )
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cryptic for the Last time!! if you want the Fleet Galaxy X to sell you HAVE to give it at least a LTCMDR Tac seat. That one change will make every player that fly's Aux2bat cruisers buy it. You have the oppertunity to have a slam dunk in sales with this ship. I cannot understand the thinking behind the decision to release this ship the way it is. How can the leadership at Cryptic not see this? Its so obvious and there have been hundreds and hundred of posts and threads saying this. I guess they just don't like to release things that will make the players happy and generate sales.
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well, looks like you lot do not PUG ESTFs very often, with all the whining about pointless updates due to the ESTFs being over in 2 minutes or less.

If you're so good, get in the public queue system and help / teach the newer players out. My fastest PUG team so far has been around the 7 minute mark, they need help - stop whining on here and go teach some new players where to find your DPS god idol setups.

As for not needing tanks.... well, I tend to tank in the public queues, someone has to keep the Tactical Cube and gate busy in ISE while the new players figure out where the fire button is, so this change is a welcome change for me. I am going to make great use of these updates.

Having 2 Antimatters go off in 30 seconds can be really helpful (If you do not know how to do this, hint - it involves the saucer) when using APD with the threat doff and the extra tac consoles so my lance does more damage is great. Shotgun mode looks kinda weird, but not used to it yet. Fire cycle seems faster as well, but that could be me.

Oh, and if you're in an ESTF and find you do get targeted and killed a few times... look to see if I'm there... I love casting APD with the thread combo on little show offs then watch them go pop when no one heals them :p
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I am not that good. Neither have I implied anywhere that I am. And your experience of PuG's is clearly not the same as mine.

Not a direct go at you mate, just pointing out a lot of people in this thread are going on about how TRIBBLE this Gal / Gal-X update is due it not bowing at the altar of their DPS god.

There is more to STO than DPS, this game is a lot deeper if people look. Helping new players, help people level alts. Teaching people about the high DPS builds, or trying out other ideas.

I've tried some really crazy configs in PvE, some of it worked better than expected other times was such a fail I just sat here crying with laughter at how bad it is.

I get so fed up seeing these little sheep following the DPS shepard and then whining at everyone else for not doing the same, plus whining at Cryptic for not making more DPS power creep abilities.

If people took their focus from the DPS parser programs for a week, they would see just how good these changes are, they would see beauty of a Galaxy Class starship (Or an Oddy) taking on a load of Borg so other players can Rep grind or level up. They might see how much fun a Nebula class is with a ton of science abilities (I recently did a whole set up based on VM1+3)
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well of course the Excelsior is such a great ship, it's Geko's favourite. Which is precisely the problem we have. The lead designer for the team selectively puts in what HE wants, i.e. an Excelsior which is comparable or even better than the Sovereign depending on which side of the fence you're on AND his dinosaurs with fricking laser beams.

So long as this man is in charge we're going to get nowhere. It's like the UN trying to do something meaningful without Russia using it's Veto ;). "They voted for the Krennim? Bah! I wanted Dinosaurs!" Not going to happen!
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Are people REALLY crying over a lt. tac. Along with the universal one, it is basically a better assault Cruiser
  • Options
    genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    Not a direct go at you mate, just pointing out a lot of people in this thread are going on about how TRIBBLE this Gal / Gal-X update is due it not bowing at the altar of their DPS god.

There is more to STO than DPS, this game is a lot deeper if people look. Helping new players, help people level alts. Teaching people about the high DPS builds, or trying out other ideas.

I've tried some really crazy configs in PvE, some of it worked better than expected other times was such a fail I just sat here crying with laughter at how bad it is.

I get so fed up seeing these little sheep following the DPS shepard and then whining at everyone else for not doing the same, plus whining at Cryptic for not making more DPS power creep abilities.

If people took their focus from the DPS parser programs for a week, they would see just how good these changes are, they would see beauty of a Galaxy Class starship (Or an Oddy) taking on a load of Borg so other players can Rep grind or level up. They might see how much fun a Nebula class is with a ton of science abilities (I recently did a whole set up based on VM1+3)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it really is all about dps. You can tell that they wanted a trinity system to start with but they gave up on it. Now the only thing that matters is dps. It is being treated as the end all be all because it is.

You do not need a tank in any STF. You really do not.

You do not need a healer in any STF. You really do not.

The problem really is the content. The ships are designed around the idea of a trinity system. With some ships making excellent healers and others making excellent tanks and others making excellent dps. The problem is the only one of those roles that matter is dps. No one is going to go to the forums and whine that a ship is too tanky or a ship heals too good because no one cares about either. They sure as heck will whine tho if it does not do the dps they want.

If Cryptic makes content that invites and rewards players for attempting to do something more then dps. Then other ships become more useful. Other ships start getting used. Till that happens dps is king and will remain so.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Yes, that was unexpected.

Not sure if removing the shared cooldown on the various teams is a bad idea or a good one, tbh.

On the one hand, it could be construed as power creep.

But, on the other hand is does mean we need to take a new look at the utility of ensign slots.

To me it felt like they'd rather affect all ships in the game than change anything about the Galaxy-R...because that would be the stupidest thing to do.;)
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rinkster wrote: »

On the one hand, it could be construed as power creep.

I will say this, I can't myself call it power creep, because it's more regression. The powers used to be like that, way back when. Until they all got linked. So this is, to me, just kind of a reset, or, heh, reboot.

I'm excited to try this out on, oddly enough, my cruisers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I will be laughing my backside off if they make the fleet Gal-X:

Commander Tac
    Lt Commander Sci
    Lt Sci
    Lt Uni
    Ens Uni

That would make my day.

BTW, I know it won't happen. But the thought of it makes me giggle a little. Just because I know what would happen on here.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    asteterixasteterix Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    you said you will bring the galaxy dreadnought closer to other dreadnoughts in the game (Jem hadar, Scimitar ...) ... and that's all you have created?

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3551/5s35cil5_jpg.htm

are you serious?! ... just still another swappable fed tank-cruiser?

you killed all the balance in the game with this overpowered romulans and their special op boffs and stuff and were not able to approximate the fed and kdf faction to them almost a year after their release.

the avenger/mogh was just a step in the right course ... i dont know why a battlecruiser cant get a com tac boff slot ... but ok

ok the scimitar even has a universal com slot, 5 tac consoles, 5 bug weapons, 1 hangar bay... and its a warbird ... a class that you want the galaxy - x comparable to ... are you kidding us? ... 1 lt tac and 1 useless ensign uni ... rigid com and lt com stations? ... i was hoping so much you have learned after the op romulans desaster

... if this is your solution of a fair ship for the fed ... maybe later ones for kdf ... to close up to the scimitar ...
    (this galaxy - x solution is absolute grap for tacs and scis ... and tanks have a large amount of better tanke ships they can choose on of)

you havent learned anything and you dont deserve my money ... thats it easy!
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I will be laughing my backside off if they make the fleet Gal-X:

Commander Tac
    Lt Commander Sci
    Lt Sci
    Lt Uni
    Ens Uni

That would make my day.

BTW, I know it won't happen. But the thought of it makes me giggle a little. Just because I know what would happen on here.

It's already been shown to be the same as regular X with just a LT tac boff.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think it's funny...people acting like there are ESTF's all over the place getting done in 2-3 minutes! Considering last video I saw of that was what...4 scims and some other faw carrier...that is a pre made. So you're telling me there are people out there in a single scim that can do as well as a premade group of 4 scims?

I mean lets not try and fool anyone here, in your basic pug it's not very hard to top the dps unless you're lucky enough to get someone else who's pretty competent

People...there are already a ton of cruisers that have a Lt Cmdr Tac...we don't need more...if you don't like the ship don't buy it. They're just living up to the promise they made a long time back to add saucer sep and the 3 pack. This isn't some huge revamp to make money, this is more like a side project that they promised would be worked out eventually and finally had the time to finish.

Sure its weapons wont have a whole lout of punch...but it has more than enough slots to run A2B so you don't need 2 copies of FAW or CSV.
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I will say this, I can't myself call it power creep, because it's more regression. The powers used to be like that, way back when. Until they all got linked. So this is, to me, just kind of a reset, or, heh, reboot.

It kinda makes sense on a ship with the crew number of a Galaxy class. It kinda simulates how it has different department teams all at the ready and waiting to respond at any moment, even simultaneously.
    edalgo wrote: »
    Without a LtCmdr tactical it's not going to be competitive. No 1 wants it to be uber OP but at least on par with other tac cruisers. After all Dreadnought is synonymous with BATTLESHIP.

Maybe to you, but really, no, it's not.
    A dreadnought is a wall. They are meant to only move when they want to, and usually armed well enough to make breaking them a tiresome proposition at best and a dangerous one at worst. In essence, they are defensive machines, meant to bring up the rear of a formation or form the center of one, help keep things together. Battleships are meant to surge forward and carry a fight; this often makes them more well armed than a dreadnought, but nowhere near as durable.
    People keep confusing or conflating the notion that a dreadnought is primarily a combat vessel, and keep forgetting that the Galaxy-X is a dreadnought cruiser. This is exacerbated by the fact that the only other dreadnought we have available to players is a dreadnought Warbird, a class of ship that is very multi-role, and usually has an emphasis on combat and advanced abilities.
    The Galaxy-X will remain competitive for a cruiser. Players need to stop thinking that it being a dreadnought automatically means it's going to have the Tactical BOff seating of a ship it is not.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    kyoukiseikyoukisei Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like the new setup overall for the Gal-X but in my personal opinion what they need to do is downgrade the Lt Commander Engineering slot.. (there's a Commander Engineering already, why do you still need a LT commander too?) Upgrade the LT tactical to a LT Commander instead of the Engineering slot....

Tactical LT Commander
    Universal Ensign
    Engineer Commander
    Engineer LT
    Science LT

that should give the Gal-X a lot more oomph. and a well needed upgrade to it's potential firepower.
    This setup in my honest opinion should give it plenty of toughness and survivability while allowing it some serious DPS
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is a different STO you are playing then? Can you give a link, I'd like to try it out ;)

I think he must be playing the Mirror universe version of STO, where exploration, diplomacy and investigation are king and weapons fire is considered only as a last resort. :P
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Its not a revenue loss at all.., yes some time and money has been spent on making it (most likely very little in the grand scheme of things) but it is not a physical item, they are not stacked up in a warehouse gathering dust, there is no loss, people will still buy it because a fool is easily parted with his money.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thelata wrote: »
    due to the lack of a lt comm or commander tactical station i fear this is going to be a huge revenue loss for cryptic,most of my friends and fleet say they are not buying one due to this overlooking of new tac stations,the only reason i never bought one in the first place was because of this reason,at 2000zen cryptic are going to miss the cash cow on this one i bet,i just hope the final version gets this station,me and my fleeties would buy it straight away.:mad:

Um, they barely did anything with it. If they sell just a couple Im sure they'll have recovered the cost from the thing, and if they sell more than that which they might, they'll come out ahead.

Honestly, it sucks that they didn't go further, but since a vast majority of the people that want anything to do with it already own it, then what's there to be upset about? You're getting something for virtually nothing.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I think it's funny...people acting like there are ESTF's all over the place getting done in 2-3 minutes! Considering last video I saw of that was what...4 scims and some other faw carrier...that is a pre made. So you're telling me there are people out there in a single scim that can do as well as a premade group of 4 scims?

I mean lets not try and fool anyone here, in your basic pug it's not very hard to top the dps unless you're lucky enough to get someone else who's pretty competent

People...there are already a ton of cruisers that have a Lt Cmdr Tac...we don't need more...if you don't like the ship don't buy it. They're just living up to the promise they made a long time back to add saucer sep and the 3 pack. This isn't some huge revamp to make money, this is more like a side project that they promised would be worked out eventually and finally had the time to finish.

Sure its weapons wont have a whole lout of punch...but it has more than enough slots to run A2B so you don't need 2 copies of FAW or CSV.

I only play STFs in PuGs, and have yet to see one finished in three minutes, the optional achieved or not.

As for the invincible giant winged vaporizer of death? I've seen more singularity implosions in elite STFs, when you have Scimitars, Tulwars, and Falchions involved, than most any other Warbird combined.

I've seen a few run in an outstanding fashion. But the problem is that the dreadnought Warbird requires a player who knows what he or she is doing. Too many still don't know how to run one.

That leads me to believe that the elusive animal called the "OP Scimitar" haunts mostly PvP maps or is an exaggeration. Romulan Warbirds, in general, have many advantage over Starfleet or KDF vessels. I haven't seen much proof in PvE that there is one Warbird that rules all in a given class.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

I agree.

I, for one, am glad to see the shared cool downs on the three Team abilities go the way of the Dodo.

But judging by the responses from PvPers on the Tribble boards, the shared cool downs will return after a time. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    cerealplayercerealplayer Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I hate pointing out the obvious, but, the reason for this:
    I haven't seen much proof in PvE that there is one Warbird that rules all in a given class.

is this:
    I only play STFs in PuGs,

It's like saying that you only ever go out at night, and have yet to see any evidence of this brighter-than-any-other celestial object people keep talking about.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I hate pointing out the obvious, but, the reason for this:

is this:

It's like saying that you only ever go out at night, and have yet to see any evidence of this brighter-than-any-other celestial object people keep talking about.

And your point being? Besides being a smartass?

Private matches and premades are not indicative of some sort of horrendous plague of overpowered dreadnought Warbirds. On the other hand, pick up games on public queues, where you would probably find a greater percentage of the playerbase running STFs, would be.

And I have yet to see anything but a few good players handling these ships effectively. And the rest? I don't know what the hell they are doing.

Like I said, from where I'm sitting, that appears to be a PvP problem (if not exaggerated to epic proportions). And for the record, min-maxers can turn just about anything into a "vape build" in the world of PvP..
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    we shall continue to fly the ship Geko wants us to fly

Fleet Excelsiors for all