test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    That is the point of my answer, we casual players cannot do this event in such short period of time.
    Sorry, I misread your post. :o
  • astimingpyleastimingpyle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    ...I do find it kind of shallow and pedantic...

Pedantic... "I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya

I was going to correct you... then I thought that would only make me sound pedantic! ;)
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    On the bright side there wont be anyone saying "i only did it once and never went back ever"

XD
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    On the bright side there wont be anyone saying "i only did it once and never went back ever"

XD

LOL ROFL, thank you made me snort my diet coke. :D
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If the ships are sci great ill grind 2 one fed side one kdf if there tac ill grind 2 one kdf n 1 rommy if there eng no thanks ive only got 1 n ill be ready to up grade his shi to the fleet sov at the same time as the event.
    As for grinds well im done on all 5 chars im just messing with my builds n up grading to the new tac consoles once my fleets have provisions that is.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
    edited January 2014
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    If the ships are sci great ill grind 2 one fed side one kdf if there tac ill grind 2 one kdf n 1 rommy if there eng no thanks ive only got 1 n ill be ready to up grade his shi to the fleet sov at the same time as the event.
    As for grinds well im done on all 5 chars im just messing with my builds n up grading to the new tac consoles once my fleets have provisions that is.

Can I hire you to run the missions for me? :D
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains,

This image was taken from Tribble, but I wanted to provide a few important notes about this. The free ships this year are not your average Anniversary ship; they've got some extremely amazing bells and whistles, and even 2 new mechanics being introduced for the first time (more info soon). Because of this, you'll need to work a tad bit harder for a free ship over just running an episode one time. However! You will receive a package of 400 Qmendations as a one-time reward the first time you complete the Featured Episode, "A Step Between Stars." That means you only need to collect 600 more, which at 40 a day from completing a short daily, will take 15 days out of the 25+ days the event runs. There should also be a Lobi option for additional/ substitute Qmendations.

All of this info and much more will be coming up in our Dev Blogs next week, and I think once you see the ships, you'll see why a little extra effort for the ships will be more than worth it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

The thing is, though, that this approach is just really rather unfortunate for people with lots of alts :P

I'd love to see these being: 1) reclaimable unclocks, 2) shared on a per faction basis.

See, I'm fine with redoing stuff a couple of times per day for a while, it's just that doing it 14 times per day for a while that's pushing it's pleasurability, regardless of how much fun it is. I've stopped getting event ships on most of my alts since the event rep system, since I've done the winter event on 11 characters last year; it burned me out on the game for some 2-3 months, that time. I think that's both unnecessary and a pity.
  • tareruntaliontareruntalion Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    new content is always welcome but why does it have to be a grind again ? yeah i have only one character and i shouldn't be complaining but having played this game for half a year i see that the endgame content is only grinding reps events etc etc. we had the sphere of influence FE and i enjoyed it VERY VERY much when i played it the first time (the replays where for the antiprotons), i am not complaining about the free stuff but can we have more stories missions etc awesome like the last FE ? i don't mind if they don't give anything of value just something with a nice story, or instead of giving all the time ships and making all the missions a grind give a weapon, a console, something cosmetic i don't know, just don't make this game an eternal grind
  • valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow... *rolleyes* another 25(/15)-day-grind for a good looking (matter of taste) but mediocre ship

/boooring

The only thing that could possibly tempt me to do that once is a really good Romulan Scinece vessel.
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    pwefail wrote: »
    OMG ! an anniversary event that we have to earn by doing dailies ?

Dear Captains thank you for your loyalty for the last 4 years ,have a new ship...oh by the way you have to log in every day for x amount of days to get it.

or

Dear wife,happy 4th anniversary i've bought you a necklace ,but you need to run for 5 mins every day to get all the pieces of it,however if you go and spend some of your own money you can get all the pieces now.
    You're ok with that aren't you darling ? what the ....where are you going ?.......

Bad bad idea :mad:
    ^^^^^This^^^^^
    rinkster wrote: »
    If we're looking at Q hosting this sort of thing on a regular basis, perhaps we don;t ned more than one currency to collect?

Instead of qmmendations, why aren't these things glossies of Q, ala WW?

Seriously what is lost by allowing players to use resources from one event where Q gives you a ship to get the ship from another event where Q is being generous?
    Since I missed the Breen ship by 2 days, I'd love for this to happen, it'd mean I only needed to complete the mission once to get the bonus 400 pics and be done. Maybe even have the time to go back and finish for the Breen ship! Of course, that is exactly why it won't happen: their goal is to get as many people as possible to log in every day.

Branflakes: since this is happening while the new "Weekend Events" is getting rolling, what are the odds of there being a "Q-whateveryou'recallingrhem Bonus Weekend"? That'd help those players who are able to play mostly on the weekends and look like there was some effort being made to stem the apparent oitpouring of dissatisfaction. Seems tje customer-service-centered sort of thing to do.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Can I hire you to run the missions for me? :D

Sure 1000 lobi per char 500 upfront 500 when the jobs done.
    Im now hiring out as the grind hit man ;)
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
    edited January 2014
    Free stuff is OP, plz nerf

or

Free stuff is Free, plz charge

or

QQQQQQ....QQQQQ
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think the problem is this represents a shift towards a more (imo) greedy philosophy with regards to events. Normally anniversaries are about celebrating milestones, giving gifts to those who have continued to stick by the game.

Previously, we got a (I'd say mediocre) ship just for being part of the continued community of the game on the anniversary. Then we could get a good version of the ship for $20. Fine, whatever.

Now we can get an actual awesome ship, but instead of it being a celebratory gift, you have to grind for it. If you don't want to (or can't) spend half a month grinding for this gift, your options are to go without or pay up to $150 in lobi for it.

Instead of the anniversary ship being accessible to everyone as a thank you to the community, the anniversary ship is now only available to those who will grind for weeks or pay for it.

That says to me that Cryptic doesn't care as much about thanking it's community as it does about creating artificial value on things that are new/good.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I love it when Brandon has had enough of everyone's whining and swoops in to address it. No, this is not sarcasm. I seriously enjoy it.

Exactly. This is part of why I have an outstanding proposal (yes, THAT sort of proposal, with bent knees and everything) to BranFlakes. Because, frankly, he is pretty freaking awesome, and we are lucky to have him.

As opposed to some other community moderators I've encountered, like the EVE guys and this one dude who had a reign of terror on WoW's forums.
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Exactly. This is part of why I have an outstanding proposal (yes, THAT sort of proposal, with bent knees and everything) to BranFlakes. Because, frankly, he is pretty freaking awesome, and we are lucky to have him.

As opposed to some other community moderators I've encountered, like the EVE guys and this one dude who had a reign of terror on WoW's forums.

Taco did it yesterday and pwned the people saying the new fleet spire visual projects are ripoffs from the joint command

Other way around, according to taco, who apparently built them
    Gold.jpg
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have to admit, I understand you guys might be releasing a new type of feature with a ship but yet another grind. A bit much I think. I think you guys should go back the drawing board on this and rethink it. The anniversary event was an event to celebrate STO, and have a fun time, not grind each day like other grinds in the game.. common guys.. you can do better then this.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
    edited January 2014
    I could understand the grind if I did the mission once and I get my "science" ship, did it one more time and I get the engineer ship, one more time and I got the tactical, now with each one there is an array of parts like 2/3 of sets/ tactical consoles 2/3, science consoles 2/3, engineering 2/3, 2/3 set of weapons etc etc. That could entice people to do some grinding, but grinding 15 days to get a ship, you got to be kidding me.
    edited January 2014
    I need a new grind to do anyway. Fleets are pretty much done with the spire (just finishing up tier 3 ops this week or so), all reps done, etc.

Im bored :(
    Gold.jpg
    edited January 2014
    Free stuff is OP, plz nerf

or

Free stuff is Free, plz charge

or

QQQQQQ....QQQQQ

Playing dumb is OP, go nerf yourself. :D
    edited January 2014
    Playing dumb is OP, go nerf yourself. :D

Rylana is OP, plz nerf
    Gold.jpg
    edited January 2014
    Rylana is OP, plz nerf

LOL OK you win LOL :D
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So when does this event start?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    So when does this event start?

Jan 30th..

or next Thursday
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yes, I understand that there are people who don't want to personally grind for a free ship and also don't want to put out money to bypass that grind.

I personally want a dog which poops rolls of $100.00 bills and a sleigh pulled by unicorns, so I understand.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    *cough* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6UuRTjkKs *cough cough cough*

This is freaking awesome, thank you... subscribing :)

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • captainjgeecaptainjgee Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is just insane. We've stuck with STO for 4 years and this is the thanks! What must we do for the 5th year Anniversary? Give you our first born? I thought anniversaries are supposed to be fun and happy occasions. I guess Cryptic are basing their anniversaries on the marriage principle, i.e. the longer it is the more you have to suffer. Grind grind grind, Cryptic just change your name. :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cryptic was probably looking at how many people brought Q appreciation package, and assumed they paid for it, when it's actually leftovers from the lobi event.

Very few people are willing to pay for what they see as a "free" ship. Cryptic needs to look at key sales in the same period instead of Q appreciation package sales, and realize that fact.
  • aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Indeed and if the ships would be available for all your characters at once, then I bite the dust and do it, but having 7 characters, I have to do the same thing 7 times, what about those players who have more than 7?

A page ago you said you had 5 characters... No matter how many you have, why do you need the ship on every character for? I used to think like that; I used to think I had to have the special freebies for every character. However not only was it stupidly time consuming for me, the majority of the toons who ran for "xyz" never even used it. Are you really planning to use/build up the special ship on every toon? Why?

I have 30 toons total, and you sure as hell won't catch me running this thing on all of them. I might on a couple (one collects all the special ships), but that's it. There is 0 point to going for a special on every single toon.

You just have to remember, though, at the end of the day this is a video game. You were only able to get a single race worth of Q pics for the winter event ship, you said, so that right there tells me you wouldn't have had the time anyways. Yeah, it would be a nice shiny to have, but it isn't the end of the world if you don't get it on every toon you have. You have to ask yourself: Would I even use this (long term) if I got it? I doubt you can say that for all of your characters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The main problem I have with this grind is it's just too soon!

The Winter Wonderland just closed doors, we've barely had a week of respite. That's not enough before you introduce another Q-something collecting to get a ship. Had this happened in say march or april, I probably wouldn't care that much, but I'm still tired from the winter celebration (and the damned so loud voices in the gazebo).

Bran, you at PWE need to at least space the grinds, it's far too frequent now, it's gonna burn out many players.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ugh....didn't we just do a 20+ day repetative thing for a ship? First few times may be enjoyable...but...

Where do they think that's fun?

Of course one option might be to sell Qmendations for 100 zen a piece if the ship is nice. That way there's an option...shrug