test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    When you have work and a family and kids, yes, some days I have to choose between the needs of my family and my own desires. Also if you have more than 1 character then what? I have 5 so that means 5 hours a day.

I can understand this.

I have a 10 Hour a day 5 days a week job and once I get out of the office I need to get into Dad mode and pick up the kids and drive them to and from their functions and what not.

Then when I finally do get home I've got to review homework help with special projects, get diner ready and walk the dog.

Most nights I do not really get to play STO till around 10pm and by that time I am already pretty burned out and need to get rested and ready for work in the morning so I can start the process all over again.

I have 10 max level Characters in STO and during the winter event all I could do was log in run the races and then log out because I did not really have the time to do anything else.

I was looking forward to this anniversary event and the new FE that it brings but now that I know that I'll have to invest at least 15 days to make sure that each of my 10 characters can get whatever the new ships may be its starting to feel more like I'm going back to my 2nd job in STO again.

Playing STO should not have to feel like work, I have enough of that in my actual life.

If Cryptic had showed some forward thinking they would have added these new commendations has optional rewards to all queued events so that the players could run the content that they truly enjoy or in some cases tolerate more than others so that the grind would feel less grindy.

I am a big Science player with 4 out of my 10 Captains being Science so I know that I will make sure that they at least get the new Science vessels but I'll have to see how I feel about getting them for the rest of my Characters.

I would have preferred if Cryptic had done what they did with the Obelisk with these new Vessels.

Give the players a vanilla version of the ship they want has a reward for running the FE and also offer a full bells and whistles version of each vessel in the Lobi store or in the Z Shop at a special anniversary price.

I feel that adding a rep grind to the anniversary event was just bad form by Cryptic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains,

This image was taken from Tribble, but I wanted to provide a few important notes about this. The free ships this year are not your average Anniversary ship; they've got some extremely amazing bells and whistles, and even 2 new mechanics being introduced for the first time (more info soon). Because of this, you'll need to work a tad bit harder for a free ship over just running an episode one time. However! You will receive a package of 400 Qmendations as a one-time reward the first time you complete the Featured Episode, "A Step Between Stars." That means you only need to collect 600 more, which at 40 a day from completing a short daily, will take 15 days out of the 25+ days the event runs. There should also be a Lobi option for additional/ substitute Qmendations.

All of this info and much more will be coming up in our Dev Blogs next week, and I think once you see the ships, you'll see why a little extra effort for the ships will be more than worth it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

You guys have some serious f'ed ideas about what fun means...

No I am serious... you guys are so far off track by now, that you are unable to see anything beyond your rep system, and DARE THE INFIDEL who tells you otherwise...

NO!!! THE REPSYSTEM IS THE KEY TO INFINITE JOY IN EVERYTHING.

I used to just think you guys had some wicked ideas... Now I just feel sorry for you, and the worst part is: You can't even see why.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited January 2014
    I suppose we can hope it's back to normal for next years anniversary :rolleyes:
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • Options
    wrenfuwrenfu Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I probably won't be getting one. The normal rep systems are more than enough grind for me at this point.

I will say though that if these ships are as significant as Bran says they are, then perhaps working for them is justified in this case. I'm curious about these 2 new mechanics that come with these ships too.

one of the rumors I heard was a second deflector slot. just that though: a rumor
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Dear Cryptic,

Please stop doing this junk. The rep grind sucks all the fun out of what are supposed to be fun events. I don't care that these ships aren't "average anniversary ships". Stop it. STO has the worst implementation of holiday/event rewards in any MMO that I have ever played. And I played FFXIV 1.0 during the "ring-a-bell" "events". Those were horrible but were still better than this event rep junk. Please stop it.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Jeez, you're making me spill all the beans LOL

We have other giveaways planned that will lead up to the anniversary where you can just log-in and claim an item for free, like the summer giveaway last year -- more info on that soon, too. So there are some free, no-work-necessary items that will be given away.

Again, these ships are not your average anniversary ships -- you'll see that once you learn more about them. Due to this, there is a little bit more effort needed to give them away for free. They're per character, and they're optional. If you don't end up fancying them, you don't have to work on the projects. But if they do, and we think you will like them quite much, we're allowing you to earn them for FREE, but with a little side of effort.

Thanks for your support, and no more spoilers!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Will they be available later in a "Pay to obtain" form? Or is this like the Risian corvette and the Breen ships in that it's "Get now or it's gone forever! (Unless we change our minds next year)" deal?
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I will say though that if these ships are as significant as Bran says they are, then perhaps working for them is justified in this case.
    Can you really justify anything that feels like work in a video game? You know, the medium that's supposed to be enjoyable and provide fun in your precious free time?

Last year's Q daily mission was so tedious and boring I did it only once per character to get the Party Poppers. This time it would seem players will have to do it on a regular basis to earn their free ships, which I'm not really looking forward to...
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    imadude3imadude3 Member Posts: 825 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As I mentioned, it wasn't meant to been seen yet, as in, it shouldn't have been on the public test server ;)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

wait those ships are the ones we get? damn, i was accually exited, now im not, i think they are rather ugly and the fed ship is really the only one that does not look like an already exsisting ship :(
    Maintaining peace through overwhelming firepower.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rrincy wrote: »

It will be, but not in the way you're hoping. Next year will conform to the new normal, as defined by this year. ;)
  • Options
    kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    canis36 wrote: »
    Will they be available later in a "Pay to obtain" form? Or is this like the Risian corvette and the Breen ships in that it's "Get now or it's gone forever! (Unless we change our minds next year)" deal?

the Breen and the Corvette are once a year thing so get it now or wait till next year.

Anniversary Event is Different each year it's get it now or it's gone forever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    wrenfu wrote: »
    one of the rumors I heard was a second deflector slot. just that though: a rumor

Well Bran did drop a hint earlier on about it being a science ship only half the time, which tells me that these ships will have different 'modes' - though that's not a new mechanic.

We'll have to wait until the blog.
  • Options
    rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited January 2014
    It will be, but not in the way you're hoping. Next year will conform to the new normal, as defined by this year. ;)

Lol probably :rolleyes:

Well , It could always be worse , at least the grind isn't all 1000 commendations
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    simply handing us a ship for the anniversary, i knew this was to good a thing to last, especially when they have even ship grinding down to a science.
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited January 2014
    And what about my alts branflakes?

I have 7 characters I would like to get the anniversary ship on, which I get all ships on. The Q winter races were pushing it but doing a 5-10 minute mission on 7 characters for 15 days?

To quote one of my dispensers about suppositories "shove em up yer jacksie"

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah.

Ok.

I'll be in Nebraska on business while this is running. Was hoping that this was a simple "run the mission, get the ship" like previous events. Instead we have this.

I am very disappointed to say the least.
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    *cough* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6UuRTjkKs *cough cough cough*

exactly, and cyptic has failed at every single area talked about here.. this is a punishing game..
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bpharma wrote: »
    And what about my alts branflakes?

I have 7 characters I would like to get the anniversary ship on, which I get all ships on. The Q winter races were pushing it but doing a 5-10 minute mission on 7 characters for 15 days?

To quote one of my dispensers about suppositories "shove em up yer jacksie"
    Be lucky you don't have my 32 characters.
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ataloss wrote: »
    I've read all 13 pages of this thread and I must say,...the general agreement is that grinding is becoming a chore.

But if so many are tired of the senseless grinind,...the only way to stop it is to boycott grinding for these upcoming ships. After a while Cryptic will see the writing on the wall, that they can't continue to have these grinds for features on a ship that should have been their in the first place (for example dual deflectors on science ships).

It's blatantly obvious the Voth lockbox didn't do so well (I hardly see any voth ships while I play). We all agree that Cryptic needs to make money in order to stay in business. Lockboxes are second place to using the Jem'Hadar Attack Ship as a means to generate income.

That is all...please continue.

I boycotted the Winter event but as long as there are 4 cats kissing and praising Cryptic, they are not going to stop the grinding process.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    don't be fooled, cryptic isn't doing this thinking that we should have a challenge to get a ship.. they are doing it in hopes that a ton of people with lots of alts will dump tons of money on keys, to open boxes, to get lobi, to speed it up..

cryptic has turned into nothing more than a big money grabbing greedy piggy ... they like to claim, "oh, its available by ingame means" but they make it such a pain that most people just open their wallets..

shamefull... I understand the need to make money, but this is above and beyond... like the fleet ships.. I can see that chat by the dev team now.. "how can we make money without really doing any work?" "i know, lets make them buy ships they already bought twice before again, and claim its an ingame ship"...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    rrincy wrote: »

Cryptic normal? LOL you must do the same of this year but in 3 days. :D
  • Options
    stormbringer77stormbringer77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    At the risk of upsetting some of my fellow STO gamers...

I don't mind the grind at all, ten minutes a day for a couple of weeks isn't a big deal. I can squeeze that into wife/kids/work/dogs routine. Although that said, it would be less of a pain if you dropped the 20 hour cooldown, so that people can do it all in a couple of sessions when they have free time.

The screenshots (that nobody has looked at, honestly) look pretty nice, except for the Fed version. Sorry, but it just looks like the old Star Cruiser with pretty purple lights and a wedge taken out of the saucer. The first dev-blog that shows a more detailled image will decide if I'm going for it or if I start a new Rom Sci character, which is a bit of a bummer as I only really want to play as the Federation faction.

Either way, thanks for another Anniversary event that gives out FREE top of the range stuff when most F2P games hamstring freeplay from the start by limiting their gaming experience/enjoyment.

Peace.
    ***The above ramblings are, as always, my own opinion. Based on my experiences and interpreted by my mind, they by no means reflect the universal truth (unless coincidentally). Peace.***
  • Options
    mrtoken_1390846233mrtoken_1390846233 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Will i do it yes, will i like it no.

The main problem I have is that now i need to login each day to do it, I work 12+ hours a day and on call 24/7, I am also one of those people that need 8 hours sleep a night, my only real time off is during the weekend (but still on call).
    I understand that you do it to get people in the game and coming back but some of us can't login each day or if they do its just to do the other reps and login for a few minutes to load those up for another 20 hours.
    If it has to be a project can you drop the timer down to 1 hour, that way people can do a few during the weekend to make sure they get the ship.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well crud. I just hope its short enough that running it 12 times a day for 2 weeks is feasible.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    don't be fooled, cryptic isn't doing this thinking that we should have a challenge to get a ship.. they are doing it in hopes that a ton of people with lots of alts will dump tons of money on keys, to open boxes, to get lobi, to speed it up..

cryptic has turned into nothing more than a big money grabbing greedy piggy ... they like to claim, "oh, its available by ingame means" but they make it such a pain that most people just open their wallets..

shamefull... I understand the need to make money, but this is above and beyond... like the fleet ships.. I can see that chat by the dev team now.. "how can we make money without really doing any work?" "i know, lets make them buy ships they already bought twice before again, and claim its an ingame ship"...
    What you said about not being fooled is true, not being fooled by what you say, I mean. I don't really care what other people think about Cryptic. Just because you think that Cryptic is "greedy" doesn't make it true.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    mrtoken wrote: »
    Will i do it yes, will i like it no.

The main problem I have is that now i need to login each day to do it, I work 12+ hours a day and on call 24/7, I am also one of those people that need 8 hours sleep a night, my only real time off is during the weekend (but still on call).
    I understand that you do it to get people in the game and coming back but some of us can't login each day or if they do its just to do the other reps and login for a few minutes to load those up for another 20 hours.
    If they have to be a project can you drop the timer down to 1 hour, that way people can do a few during the weekend to make sure they get the ship.

The answer is sad but sadly true, as long as there are people kissing up to Cryptic we don't count. (Casual players)
  • Options
    salynraydersalynrayder Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains,

This image was taken from Tribble, but I wanted to provide a few important notes about this. The free ships this year are not your average Anniversary ship; they've got some extremely amazing bells and whistles, and even 2 new mechanics being introduced for the first time (more info soon). Because of this, you'll need to work a tad bit harder for a free ship over just running an episode one time. However! You will receive a package of 400 Qmendations as a one-time reward the first time you complete the Featured Episode, "A Step Between Stars." That means you only need to collect 600 more, which at 40 a day from completing a short daily, will take 15 days out of the 25+ days the event runs. There should also be a Lobi option for additional/ substitute Qmendations.

All of this info and much more will be coming up in our Dev Blogs next week, and I think once you see the ships, you'll see why a little extra effort for the ships will be more than worth it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I love it when Brandon has had enough of everyone's whining and swoops in to address it. No, this is not sarcasm. I seriously enjoy it.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    The answer is sad but sadly true, as long as there are people kissing up to Cryptic we don't count. (Casual players)
    But casual players are the most effected by this, as a good chunk of the casual player base can't play for 15 days per month.

No need to point fingers.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    But casual players are the most effected by this, as a good chunk of the casual player base can't play for 15 days per month.

No need to point fingers.

That is the point of my answer, we casual players cannot do this event in such short period of time.
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The reason the anniversery events were so popular? Very simple really... you got something amazing for free. Same thing with the the Temporal Ambassador event. Hell the last FE was fairly good too, decent little carrier.

Now this? I have seen exactly ONE Risa Corvette in game, that's it. And I'm on quite a bit. This is across all the content I play.

I see... Oddys, I see Ambassadors, I a few Breen ships here and there. Three unique raiders that's it.

So WHERE ARE ALL THE PREMIUM SHIPS? Metrics must be compelling them to run the game this way, but damned if I know where all the ships that have been rewarded are. Perhaps "allegedly rewarded" would be a better call?

Regardless, by the simple necessity of me being without internet or a computer capable of running STO while I'm away on business means I miss out on this. VERY disappointing and very frustrating. Why? Because this is the way things are from here on out. ARC, more grinds, less playable content, removed content... yeah.