test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,522 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    Exactly. Why are you people running these projects on *every* character you have? If you want less of a grind then stop maintaining a billion characters.

My original point was that even 48 runs through the mission to get ONE of each of the ships is still a tad bit on the excessive side... That means putting fleet projects and other rep projects on hold the entire time...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    wrenfu wrote: »
    I think thats the important information people were missing

Well, the screenshot posted in the OP wasn't planned to be seen at this time, so it throws off our publishing schedule that reveals all the necessary information, so everyone should be missing all the information until its released. That's the issue :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains,

This image was taken from Tribble, but I wanted to provide a few important notes about this. The free ships this year are not your average Anniversary ship; they've got some extremely amazing bells and whistles, and even 2 new mechanics being introduced for the first time (more info soon). Because of this, you'll need to work a tad bit harder for a free ship over just running an episode one time. However! You will receive a package of 400 Qmendations as a one-time reward the first time you complete the Featured Episode, "A Step Between Stars." That means you only need to collect 600 more, which at 40 a day from completing a short daily, will take 15 days out of the 25+ days the event runs. There should also be a Lobi option for additional/ substitute Qmendations.

All of this info and much more will be coming up in our Dev Blogs next week, and I think once you see the ships, you'll see why a little extra effort for the ships will be more than worth it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

your missing the point.. the anniversary has always (at least to me) been about thanking us for letting you survive another year.. every anniversary has been more about playing the game, and having fun, than grinding and going nuts.. every year they have released a ship that was cool, and all you had to do was enjoy the mission to get it.. and it might not have been the best ship in the game, but for once you showed appreciation to us..

now every year, about a month after the release of the t5 freeby, we always got a c store, or fleet variant that upgraded it, and that was the grind, or the pay out.. and I was ok with that..

it doesn't matter if the ship is better man, it is about the message being sent.. that the last non grind thing we all looked forward to is now a grind.. I swear that you all sit around a conference table finding new ways to alienate the player base.. sure some people will do anything, you could ask players to post a picture of them sticking their head in the toilet to get an ingame item, and people would.. but the continued loss of players is due to the greed, and the unwarranted grind that keeps finding its way into every aspect of the game.. (and I warrant saying that their is a loss of players cause I continually see fleets shrink, people complain that their friends lists are barren, and I remember a time when I would get on and there would be 24 plus instances full at any given time in just about any given place.. now, its about 13, and none of them are full..

taking the anniversary event and turning it into something it never was, is still shallow, reguardless of the prize.. you should have done business as usual, and released a few versions of the ship like you always have..
  • Options
    talgeezetalgeeze Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, the screenshot posted in the OP wasn't planned to be seen at this time, so it throws off our publishing schedule that reveals all the necessary information, so everyone should be missing all the information until its released. That's the issue :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Best way to hide something is NOT to put it on a public test server ;)
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    Exactly. Why are you people running these projects on *every* character you have? If you want less of a grind then stop maintaining a billion characters.

-raises hand-

Uh, just for clarity: I have 10 characters, and run these event grinds on all of them. That said- I'm not griping about it, I'm the one who chooses to do it. Even as much as I enjoy grumbling, if it bothers me I'll stop doing it- not come whining like someone's holding a gun to my head making me do something against my will. :cool:
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    maiewski wrote: »
    How short is short? Are we talking "Freeing the Deferi Captives" short? "Colony Invasion" short? "Starbase Defesne" short? The old "War is good for Business" short (as in, not very short at all)?
    If it's the same one from last time, about 5 minutes, of which 4.5 will be consumed by loading time trying to zone into the horrid clogfest that is ESD/FC and SFA/KA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Jeez, you're making me spill all the beans LOL

We have other giveaways planned that will lead up to the anniversary where you can just log-in and claim an item for free, like the summer giveaway last year -- more info on that soon, too. So there are some free, no-work-necessary items that will be given away.

Again, these ships are not your average anniversary ships -- you'll see that once you learn more about them. Due to this, there is a little bit more effort needed to give them away for free. They're per character, and they're optional. If you don't end up fancying them, you don't have to work on the projects. But if they do, and we think you will like them quite much, we're allowing you to earn them for FREE, but with a little side of effort.

Thanks for your support, and no more spoilers!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Bran, you really seem to have missed the point.

This grind is a radical change to the tempo of the game. Do you not see that?

We're not given any hint by the devs of the upcoming change, which means feedback (again) is apparently unwelcome, instead having to rely on a player leak for us to know about this.

Surely you realise making this ship a grind ship will disappoint a lot of players, regardless of how good it is?

And does Cryptic really need to get into the habit of disappointing players?
  • Options
    firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited January 2014

We have other giveaways planned that will lead up to the anniversary where you can just log-in and claim an item for free, like the summer giveaway last year -- more info on that soon, too. So there are some free, no-work-necessary items that will be given away.

Again, these ships are not your average anniversary ships -- you'll see that once you learn more about them. Due to this, there is a little bit more effort needed to give them away for free. They're per character, and they're optional. If you don't end up fancying them, you don't have to work on the projects. But if they do, and we think you will like them quite much, we're allowing you to earn them for FREE, but with a little side of effort.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

All right, but maybe you could work on those numbers a little bit (400 for start, 40 per day, 1000 for complete), you know, some compromise. 500 for start, 50/day, something like that. Mostly, if the grind won't be as short as fastest game on ice...
    I understand that these ships will blow our minds, but think about how close this anniversary is to the end winter event, and how sick are we of mindless grind...
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As stated above, I am not happy with t his direction...

However, reading through the posts... you know why they keep pumping out grind content... because we'll do it. That's right... we complain... often very loudly... but in the end we do the grind because of the allure of a new ship, that will most likely end up in our banks mothballed. Some on 3, 6, 10, or 14 toons.

They keep making content like this, because we keep playing it. We actively encourage this type of "content". We do it for fleet holdings, reputations, now seasonal grinds.

I'll look at the stats, and the new bells and whistles... if the ship doesn't knock my socks off (on par with minimally a Fleet Science Vessel, but preferably a Vesta, or Wells)... I'm passing... its not worth the aggravation any longer.

Don't blame Cryptic... they are responding to what the players do, and providing more of the same.

You know... I don't mind grinding for new gear... IF I NEED IT FOR SOMETHING... but we only get half of the equation here... grind for new gear so you unlock... nothing... istead we get "here's another grind for slightly better gear than what you just spent a month grinding for. No No... there's not any new, or harder content that really requires this gear... But hey, it might help you shave .025 seconds off the entirety of your next grind...Enjoy!"

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    QFT....

Already 'grinding' to get a starbase ands mining up...why, oh why...is more work added to this game? Sorry, it feels not a being a game no more now. Just more work, and more work
    puttenham wrote: »
    your missing the point.. the anniversary has always (at least to me) been about thanking us for letting you survive another year.. every anniversary has been more about playing the game, and having fun, than grinding and going nuts.. every year they have released a ship that was cool, and all you had to do was enjoy the mission to get it.. and it might not have been the best ship in the game, but for once you showed appreciation to us..

now every year, about a month after the release of the t5 freeby, we always got a c store, or fleet variant that upgraded it, and that was the grind, or the pay out.. and I was ok with that..

it doesn't matter if the ship is better man, it is about the message being sent.. that the last non grind thing we all looked forward to is now a grind.. I swear that you all sit around a conference table finding new ways to alienate the player base.. sure some people will do anything, you could ask players to post a picture of them sticking their head in the toilet to get an ingame item, and people would.. but the continued loss of players is due to the greed, and the unwarranted grind that keeps finding its way into every aspect of the game.. (and I warrant saying that their is a loss of players cause I continually see fleets shrink, people complain that their friends lists are barren, and I remember a time when I would get on and there would be 24 plus instances full at any given time in just about any given place.. now, its about 13, and none of them are full..

taking the anniversary event and turning it into something it never was, is still shallow, reguardless of the prize.. you should have done business as usual, and released a few versions of the ship like you always have..
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

brandon, you should have no reason to pander to these people, you made your position clear on post 30. thats where it should of been left.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    talgeeze wrote: »
    Best way to hide something is NOT to put it on a public test server ;)

As I mentioned, it wasn't meant to been seen yet, as in, it shouldn't have been on the public test server ;)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    noctusxxxnoctusxxx Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains,

This image was taken from Tribble, but I wanted to provide a few important notes about this. The free ships this year are not your average Anniversary ship; they've got some extremely amazing bells and whistles, and even 2 new mechanics being introduced for the first time (more info soon). Because of this, you'll need to work a tad bit harder for a free ship over just running an episode one time. However! You will receive a package of 400 Qmendations as a one-time reward the first time you complete the Featured Episode, "A Step Between Stars." That means you only need to collect 600 more, which at 40 a day from completing a short daily, will take 15 days out of the 25+ days the event runs. There should also be a Lobi option for additional/ substitute Qmendations.

All of this info and much more will be coming up in our Dev Blogs next week, and I think once you see the ships, you'll see why a little extra effort for the ships will be more than worth it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I'm sorry. I am sick of logging in every day and having to grind ships. No matter how good they are. I have 12 lvl 50 toons. I didn't even bother getting the new Breen ship this year because just the thought of having to grind 12 toons through the same thing every day for a month made me tear out my hair.

Just give away a lesser version of the ships for the episode play, and then put the full bells and whistles version in the C store so that ONE grind to get the zen to buy it ONCE for all of my toons can happen.

I know that what we say does not matter to any of the devs. especially Geko, but just give this grind stuff a rest please.
  • Options
    kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    well if they're on par with the breen warship or slightly better then im all for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wrenfuwrenfu Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

for sure, but players always find a way it seems
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    phoenicius wrote: »
    Being 100% honest here, don't you think we have enough grind already? even the STO anniversary needs grind now?
    No commente'

Do not give them more ideas. Within a few more month, you will have to grind resources to sign into 'Star Trek: Online'.
    sychosis99 wrote: »
    So basically, if you're a player that only gets to casually play this game a few hours each weekend, you shouldn't even bother with trying to celebrate the event? Good to know. :rolleyes:
    rofl... When has Cryptic/Perfect World ever cared about casual players?

We wouldn't have endless resource grinds and project cool-down timers if Cryptic cared.
  • Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Bran, you really seem to have missed the point.

This grind is a radical change to the tempo of the game. Do you not see that?

We're not given any hint by the devs of the upcoming change, which means feedback (again) is apparently unwelcome, instead having to rely on a player leak for us to know about this.

Surely you realise making this ship a grind ship will disappoint a lot of players, regardless of how good it is?

And does Cryptic really need to get into the habit of disappointing players?

Good points.

I agree with you. The grind is getting to be tedious. Why not just give us the ship instead of time gating it behind yet another grind?

Why change the aniversary like this?

Yes the ships might be good, but that is besides the point.

Here it seems you guys added another grind just for the sake of it, wich is a not so smart move imho.

Who came up with this idea?? And then thought "this is a great idea"??
  • Options
    rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited January 2014
    I can kind of understand the position they are taking , I know it's not a popular opinion , But to me the grind isn't that bad at all , there are games out there that are faaaar worse than STO for it , and at the end of the day you're still getting what we presume to be a new fleet level ship for free
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've read all 13 pages of this thread and I must say,...the general agreement is that grinding is becoming a chore.

But if so many are tired of the senseless grinind,...the only way to stop it is to boycott grinding for these upcoming ships. After a while Cryptic will see the writing on the wall, that they can't continue to have these grinds for features on a ship that should have been their in the first place (for example dual deflectors on science ships).

It's blatantly obvious the Voth lockbox didn't do so well (I hardly see any voth ships while I play). We all agree that Cryptic needs to make money in order to stay in business. Lockboxes are second place to using the Jem'Hadar Attack Ship as a means to generate income.

That is all...please continue.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    sychosis99sychosis99 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

That's well and fine, but what if you DO WANT those rewards, but your personal life prevents you from logging in more than 2-3 times each week? Because this is a limited time event, it's impossible for some of your players to achieve that reward. At least if there wasn't an unnecessary 20 hour timer on these repeatable quests, it would be somewhat doable for casual players with busy schedules. What's the point of the 20 hour timer? What's the difference if you grind the mission over 15 days or over 2 weekends (or 1 day for some people, I'm sure), either way you have to run the same exact tedious mission the same X amount of times.
  • Options
    raythilo2345raythilo2345 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ataloss wrote: »
    I've read all 13 pages of this thread and I must say,...the general agreement is that grinding is becoming a chore.

But if so many are tired of the senseless grinind,...the only way to stop it is to boycott grinding for these upcoming ships. After a while Cryptic will see the writing on the wall, that they can't continue to have these grinds for features on a ship that should have been their in the first place (for example dual deflectors on science ships).

It's blatantly obvious the Voth lockbox didn't do so well (I hardly see any voth ships while I play). We all agree that Cryptic needs to make money in order to stay in business. Lockboxes are second place to using the Jem'Hadar Attack Ship as a means to generate income.

ya but alot of people are tired of the grind...all it seems is like that STO is one grind after another...and they are probably loosing players because of it
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    rofl... When has Cryptic/Perfect World ever cared about casual players?

Uh...Looking at what passes for "difficulty" in this game, whatever makes you think they care about anything else? :eek:
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ataloss wrote: »

the cryptic games are based in part on these grinds, sure you can boycott it in the hope they stop, but in the end you should look around on the game, its one giant grind as it is. going up the ranks, getting fleet ship and fleet stuff, fleet advancement, miissions, sector space travel. then the obvious grinds.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    wrenfu wrote: »
    for sure, but players always find a way it seems

no cryptics dev incompetence always finds a way.. lol.. its always ooops this and wooops that.. I need more than two hands to count the amount of times they have let something slip like that.. weather it is truly an accident, or their way of trying to get everyone pumped about something..
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ya but alot of people are tired of the grind...all it seems is like that STO is one grind after another...and they are probably loosing players because of it

I agree. Less and less people are playing. Maybe because school is back in session, but the grind is pointless.

If we had a REAL crafting system, grinding for resources would be worth it. But for a shiny new ship (when so many other non ship related tings need fixing), it's becoming tedious. Especially since new ships are released bi-monthly (if not monthly).
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains,

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

To be honest Brandon as nice as I'm sure these ships are? This is a big fat DO NOT WANT. I like the way Cryptic did the Odyssey/Bortas and Ambassador/....whatever it was called. Stripped down, basic freebie with the event and the special version available through either the C-Store or Fleet Starbase. It's a nice formula, it works, and it doesn't feel like work.

I know it's too late to change for this one, but I really hope you inform your bosses and the decision makers that this is a bad idea and they should feel bad for having it.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I will literally do anything for spoilers.

Literally. Anything.

Thanks for the giveaways, too, BTW. I sure hope that you're giving away Avengers...

:D
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I probably won't be getting one. The normal rep systems are more than enough grind for me at this point.

I will say though that if these ships are as significant as Bran says they are, then perhaps working for them is justified in this case. I'm curious about these 2 new mechanics that come with these ships too.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    I will literally do anything for spoilers.

Literally. Anything.
    Including... wait? ;)

...:(
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

You guys really don't get it, do you? This is a BORING and REPETITIVE CHORE. And what's worse is you're trying to sugarcoat it with giveaways. That's just hilarious. Cryptic really can't come up with another means to *earn* these items without turning it into an overdrawn grind? Hell, I'm starting to think Cryptic can't do ANYTHING anymore without turning it into some sort of grind.

Why not have players require a series of accolades to complete in the mission before they can claim a ship, or overcome some sort of challenge? Not something that'll having a player tearing up their hair screaming at the computer monitor, but something that'll make them say, "Damn, that was tough, but I pulled through." Make players really EARN it. Make it fulfilling and satisfying, something that Cryptic can't seem to pull off anymore, if they ever did...

This game has become an up and down roller-coaster ride to heaven or hell. Cryptic does great things, then they do stupid things. And they just don't seem to learn anything from their mistakes. And maybe I need my head examined, since I'm still playing this game and still want to support it, despite this nonsense.