test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• Options
    domvinadomvina Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have to agree with the poster a few pages back that it's just too soon having just gotten off the Winter event grind. I was looking forward to getting back to actually working on my characters and advancing them instead of grinding another "fun event".

I can live with grinds, it's part of the MMORPG formula, but spacing them out instead of piling them on is always preferred.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I honestly think that you guys are not happy no matter what Cryptic does.

I wasn't around for seasons 1-4, so I have no clue what it was like in the pre-dilithium days. I logged into this game the day after it was released for free to play and fell in love right away with the game. There was a time where we didn't have stuff like the reputation and the fleet advancement system. Yet there was still somewhat of an effort that had to be made to get stuff such as the Adapted borg stuff from the omega store.

Two years later, I'm still a free player. I'm actually willing to put in the time and effort to obtaining stuff that I actually want. It might take me a bit longer, but I know that in the end that there will be something that I can fly off and play the content in because this is a game that I enjoy. This will be a game that I'll always enjoy for years to come.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    All the QQing...

For starters... All the previous anniversary ships were junk compared to c-store, lock box, and fleet ships. I have yet to grind for a single ship from any event as I'm not interested in per-character unlocks.

If these ships are like previous anniversary ships there will most likely be a version to purchase via c-store bundle or fleet store. I'm sure we won't know this until after the grind is over though.

Lastly, no one is making you grind anything and it isn't necessary to have this ship. If your priorities take you elsewhere then it's not the game's problem. Everyone has real life to contend with but some people still find time to play if it is what they want. Yes, it's sad that you actually have to do something for the ship this time but if it comes with special unique abilities unlike the previous giveaways then it just might be worth it.

If you keep one thing in mind over everything else... Cryptic is a business looking to make money and they do it by keeping people logged into the game for as long and as often as possible. This is how F2P games work... sub games make money from your sub. Think about it like that and you will never be surprised by the decisions that Cryptic makes.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow, what a bunch of whining here, and a lot of it sounds hypocritical.

-- waaaaa we just grinded a ship and now another one? Well folks, every single one of you that did the race 1000000 times for their ship put in a vote that "we like to grind for goods". Statistically, the data shows the people WILL grind for 'free' stuff. If no one did it, or very few, they would have to rethink the total failure.... And guess what --- a bunch of you will do this grind too. Tons of ppl earning the ship is positive feedback that the grindy content was accepted and popular!

---- waaa I have more than 3 characters and won't get it for all.... news flash: the ships will likely not be suitable for all characters. If it is a sci ship with 3 weapons, your tactical alt probably is not in dire need of the thing... and if you have that many characters, you DO have time to play, apparently, if you play them. If you do not play them, you don't need ships. ??

---- waaa I have a life, and cannot spend the time. Ok, I feel for you, but every day many thousands of businesses just in the USA alone offer promotions that you will not take advantage of, either because you did not have the money or did not have the time to look for them or the time to go there in person if necessary etc. Its a promotion, and sometimes people can't take advantage of it. That is life. And, I say that with a full time job, wife, and life stuff. I missed the winter ships due to family/holidays, it happens. But to cry about it, really??? Would you rather they NOT offer a ship at all, and instead give you a nice pack of fireworks that print "happy anniversary" in big colors in space or something? Or is this a disguised "gimme free stuff for no work" type thing?

---- waa, this 15 day grind is worse than the 2 month grind for EC or dil2zen that I did for my other ship. Really?

Now, complaints about a grind I see as valid. Its simply not fun to repeat dull things daily. It will have to be insanely good for me to bother with 15 days of grind .... talking a 4 weapon sci ship, or a 5 weap 5 tac console uni cmdr beast, or something else significantly superior to the usual suspects.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Bingo. The level of negativity that comes from this forum is a little trying sometimes.
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    Wow, what a bunch of whining here, and a lot of it sounds hypocritical.

-- waaaaa we just grinded a ship and now another one? Well folks, every single one of you that did the race 1000000 times for their ship put in a vote that "we like to grind for goods". Statistically, the data shows the people WILL grind for 'free' stuff. If no one did it, or very few, they would have to rethink the total failure.... And guess what --- a bunch of you will do this grind too. Tons of ppl earning the ship is positive feedback that the grindy content was accepted and popular!

---- waaa I have more than 3 characters and won't get it for all.... news flash: the ships will likely not be suitable for all characters. If it is a sci ship with 3 weapons, your tactical alt probably is not in dire need of the thing... and if you have that many characters, you DO have time to play, apparently, if you play them. If you do not play them, you don't need ships. ??

---- waaa I have a life, and cannot spend the time. Ok, I feel for you, but every day many thousands of businesses just in the USA alone offer promotions that you will not take advantage of, either because you did not have the money or did not have the time to look for them or the time to go there in person if necessary etc. Its a promotion, and sometimes people can't take advantage of it. That is life. And, I say that with a full time job, wife, and life stuff. I missed the winter ships due to family/holidays, it happens. But to cry about it, really??? Would you rather they NOT offer a ship at all, and instead give you a nice pack of fireworks that print "happy anniversary" in big colors in space or something? Or is this a disguised "gimme free stuff for no work" type thing?

---- waa, this 15 day grind is worse than the 2 month grind for EC or dil2zen that I did for my other ship. Really?

Now, complaints about a grind I see as valid. Its simply not fun to repeat dull things daily. It will have to be insanely good for me to bother with 15 days of grind .... talking a 4 weapon sci ship, or a 5 weap 5 tac console uni cmdr beast, or something else significantly superior to the usual suspects.

Hey no one is whining about anything, people are complaining about excessive grinding, we just finished the grind fest of all and we need a break from this super colossal grind and what we get as part of celebrating the 4th anniversary another super grind fest and this is even concentrated in 15 days. So please read before you post.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »
    Bingo. The level of negativity that comes from this forum is a little trying sometimes.

No one is forcing you to read the complains. We need a break between grind fests, give it a rest, maybe 3 months, or at least instead to forcing us to grind a brand new content in 15 days, give us at least 3 months so we can do it but slowly, dude is like making love, all hurry up no FUN.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If the leaks are legit then I'm not worried about this anyway since they're horribly ugly and I want nothing to do with them.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    Hey no one is whining about anything, people are complaining about excessive grinding, we just finished the grind fest of all and we need a break from this super colossal grind and what we get as part of celebrating the 4th anniversary another super grind fest and this is even concentrated in 15 days. So please read before you post.
    Big whoop. If you don't want to do it, no one is forcing you to do it, at all.

Also, how do you know that it's going to be so terrible? Sorry, I don't buy that argument. You haven't even seen what the mission is going to be about, so how can you say that it's going to be a "super colossal grind"?
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I did read. 10+ pages of whining, is what I read. On exactly the points I listed.
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I wasn't around for seasons 1-4, so I have no clue what it was like in the pre-dilithium days. I logged into this game the day after it was released for free to play and fell in love right away with the game. There was a time where we didn't have stuff like the reputation and the fleet advancement system. Yet there was still somewhat of an effort that had to be made to get stuff such as the Adapted borg stuff from the omega store.

Two years later, I'm still a free player. I'm actually willing to put in the time and effort to obtaining stuff that I actually want. It might take me a bit longer, but I know that in the end that there will be something that I can fly off and play the content in because this is a game that I enjoy. This will be a game that I'll always enjoy for years to come.

A very fine summary. Star Trek Online is very well done when it comes to repeated content. The grind is not bad at all at the moment. This is especially true when comparing to other games...like Star Wars: The Old Republic...where they have the ability to make one's character run in the cash shop on a per character unlock basis :eek:.

I personally don't mind grinding, as long as the mission is somewhat enjoyable to complete. I'm really hoping it's not that Q present package daily from last year, that mission was impossible to complete within an hour if there were a large number of players on the map. If it's just replaying the featured anniversary episode, I'm all for that, featured episodes are quite enjoyable. Sure, it will take me 208 runs over 16 days to get the ship on all of my characters. At least it will be enjoyable in the highly likely event it's up to par with Sphere of Influence and Temporal Ambassador.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    An easy solution could be to make this mission the first time for us to do it personally and after that first time been able to do this mission using my DOFFs.

Wow that was a brilliant idea. My DOFFs can do the grinding for me. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    I did read. 10+ pages of whining, is what I read. On exactly the points I listed.

Did you bother to read what the dev posted about doing the mission 16 times? Is that a grinding process or not? 16 times per each character you own and you have to do it in 15-20 days?
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A very fine summary. Star Trek Online is very well done when it comes to repeated content. The grind is not bad at all at the moment.

Very true.
    This is especially true when comparing to other games...like Star Wars: The Old Republic...where they have the ability to make one's character run in the cash shop on a per character unlock basis :eek:.

Please, dear FSM, don't remind me. I still have nightmares about SWTOR.
    I personally don't mind grinding, as long as the mission is somewhat enjoyable to complete. I'm really hoping it's not that Q present package daily from last year, that mission was impossible to complete within an hour if there were a large number of players on the map. If it's just replaying the featured anniversary episode, I'm all for that, featured episodes are quite enjoyable. Sure, it will take me 208 runs over 16 days to get the ship on all of my characters. At least it will be enjoyable in the highly likely event it's up to par with Sphere of Influence and Temporal Ambassador.

H'mmm...16 days. I can live with that, especially if it's a 4-week event.

Can barely wait for Tim Russ. Tuvok isn't exactly my fave, but Tim Russ is a cool dude.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    A very fine summary. Star Trek Online is very well done when it comes to repeated content. The grind is not bad at all at the moment. This is especially true when comparing to other games...like Star Wars: The Old Republic...where they have the ability to make one's character run in the cash shop on a per character unlock basis :eek:.

^^ This and again this ^^^. The problem is that Q is involved. Me no like it when Q is involved. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Very true.

Please, dear FSM, don't remind me. I still have nightmares about SWTOR.

H'mmm...16 days. I can live with that, especially if it's a 4-week event.

Can barely wait for Tim Russ. Tuvok isn't exactly my fave, but Tim Russ is a cool dude.

The problem is that you have to do the same mission 16 times per each character you have. I have 7 it is a total of 152 missions. Other players have 32 how many times is that? I dont want even to do the math.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    480 anni missions ahead of me, plus the 32 initial featured episodes for each character.

Wish me luck guys.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    480 anni missions ahead of me, plus the 32 initial featured episodes for each character.

Wish me luck guys.

My same point, some people say don't do it for all your characters, but I want to have the ship in all my characters because I don't know which one I may change tomorrow.
  • Options
    perfectcrypticperfectcryptic Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Here is an idea. Why not have event marks where we can use them for any event. So I can do the new event daily mission and complete the Summer Event I did not finish. This summer will there be another summer ship? Next winter 3 ships available... plus any other events with different tokens/marks in between. We must have gone full circle by now and back to all the different marks/tokens that there was at the start.
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I wish I could live in the fanboys world someday.. to think nothing is wrong with the game ever, and to see everything as rainbows and lollipops..

honestly, from the resounding negativity towards this move cryptic has made, I would say that they messed up...

I do complain about things, but im not someone who just jumps on anything.. I tell it like it is.. if it is something I like, I give the thumbs up.. if it is something I dislike, I give the thumbs down.. it is called voicing our opinion.. and that used to mean something.. cause while my opinion as a single player means nothing.. the 20 something pages of opinions does.. it is a way to help cryptic see what works and what doesn't.. metrics only get you so far as I stated earlier, just because one does it, doesn't mean they like it..

pre season 4, this game actually had decent forums.. sure, there were flamers just trying to get people going.. but the devs worked with us, and you had very little negativity.. after season 4, the forums kind of turned into a toilet, some of it is deserved, some not.. but I have been seeing a trend of people who used to be "fan" boys, getting fed up, and the fan boy pool is growing less and less.

ill give you that there are peeps who whine about little insignificant things.. but this is a major change to something that was meant to be a fun, entertaining, and appreciative gesture, and is no longer..

im not complaining about the ship.. just saying that they could release it at another time. its not about what we are getting, its about the fact that the last "free" gesture in game is now gone.. im a life time subscriber, im someone that when something comes out that tickles my fancy, I buy it.. so im not trying to say everything has to be free, but amidst all this grinding and paying, they have to make a gesture that shows that they actually care about creating a quality game, and not just the next wallet opener..

for weeks we have been talking about (in a positive manner) the anniversary event, about how we were looking forward to it, and how it is a nice departure from the "business as usual" grind/pay content we have been seeing lately.. being the 6th best mmo in 2013 should have showed them something is wrong.. if you aint first, your last.. and honestly, how many worthwhile mmo's are out there.. that's like saying you came in 32 in a 40 car field.. that alone should have shown them that something is wrong.. and the outbursts on the forums lately are increasing, and showing that something is misfiring..
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    No one is forcing you to read the complains. We need a break between grind fests, give it a rest, maybe 3 months, or at least instead to forcing us to grind a brand new content in 15 days, give us at least 3 months so we can do it but slowly, dude is like making love, all hurry up no FUN.

Who's forcing you to do anything?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Solution is simple make this anniversary a whole year thing, let people enjoy the event and do the quest at their leisure instead of been forced to do the event in 15-20 days.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Who's forcing you to do anything?

People like you who thinks that is the only one who can speak. You have 300 posts saying it is bad and 3 saying it is good, who do you think is right?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    There's the point right there, not everyone will feel that doing the event is going to FEEL like it's a grind. If you do, that's not Cryptic's fault, that's on you and others who feel the same way. You haven't even seen what the mission is going to be and yet you think it's not going to be fun? That just doesn't make any sense...
    People like you who thinks that is the only one who can speak. You have 300 posts saying it is bad and 3 saying it is good, who do you think is right?
    Just because 300 people have said that they don't like doesn't mean that it's bad.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

^^^ this.. 100 percent..
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    I wish I could live in the fanboys world someday.. to think nothing is wrong with the game ever, and to see everything as rainbows and lollipops..
    I did that a bit with Bioware. But it's really difficult to deny the truth. In my case it was DA2, ME3 and later SWTOR when they went f2p. I tried so hard to think I was wrong. But sooner or later I realized it was really happening.
    Sometimes, it's more difficult to be a fanboy, and blind yourself to the truth.
    That's not entirely wrong. Doesn't mean it's always true. You can't please everyone. But, you have to explain me why nobody complained about the anniversary until today and the "leaked" grind ?
    So far, it seems the majority was quite happy to have an anniversary event, a FE, and Tuvok.

Then, we have the grindversary leaked, and a 20+pages of whine about it. I want to understand, you say people whine all the time no matter what, but here, they waited several days before doing so ? That makes little sense. If it was true in this case, they would have complained all the time, about the FE, the ships, Tuvok, or whatever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    There's the point right there, not everyone will feel that doing the event is going to FEEL like it's a grind. If you do, that's not Cryptic's fault, that's on you and others who feel the same way. You haven't even seen what the mission is going to be and yet you think it's not going to be fun? That just doesn't make any sense...

Just because 300 people have said that they don't like doesn't mean that it's bad.

no one said the mission isn't going to be fun.. its the 15 days of grinding that isn't going to be fun..
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I got up to page 17 before I stopped, since I can imagine the rest of the thread was basically the same.

Just gonna put up my 2 ECs here. I'm a full-time student at University right now who commutes for ~3 hours a day from home to class AND I have a part-time job. I have time to log in maybe 30 or 40 minutes every few days. Tops.

Now I was logging in pretty consistently and playing pretty consistently for the past two and a half weeks... because I was on break. But seriously??? You release a GRIND DURING SCHOOL??? I keep hoping this is a really bad joke that the Devs and a few dozen forumites are playing on everyone else... but this is ridiculous.

Now rep system grinds I can understand. Winter event grind I can understand. Summer grind... well I wasn't interested in the Corvette so I missed out on that one... but still. I mean cmon. You have thousands of students back in school. You have hundreds of businessman and other workers who are now back from vacation. And you give another grind? Really? Were you even thinking about those two classes of people? Or were you just thinking about the jobless bums living in their parent's basements who waste the little money they have on this game because they're unable to do anything else???

... /rant over...

-.-
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    no one said the mission isn't going to be fun.. its the 15 days of grinding that isn't going to be fun..
    Doing one mission for 15 days isn't fun, eh? Funny, that seems a bit off, from my point of view. The same can be said about the STF missions, doing them over and over and over and over again, day in and day out, isn't what I would considered fun.
  • Options
    wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited January 2014
    The creative juices at cryptic have grown lukewarm. They are using the carrot and stick model and most of the users will go for it. I am sure they will put lock box keys on sale during th event. The obvious reason for this is a distraction from the fact they cannot come up with anything compelling to offer. Instead of saying we are tweaking these things new content is a few months out, they give us weak missions with a former Trek actor and then hide behind the grinds. I am willing to bet come the summer when most fleets will have ground the max for everything they will add a few more extra fleet grinds and maybe gear grinds.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes: